Laguna College of Art and Design Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Laguna College of Art and Design

Paulina

Overall my experience at LCAD has been a great one. Sure it could be bigger, but what is really important to me are the classes. I have learned so much in my classes, and the professors are not only great artists but they also seem genuinely invested in our growth. Additionally, the college provides us great resources with workshops, guest speakers and counseling. There could be improvements made to administration, and the student lounge, but I can overlook that based on the education I have received thus far.

Hayden

Laguna College of Art and Design is truly a wonderful school! I have been going since 2015 for the completion of my Bachelor's in Fine Arts degree with Animation. The teachers there are industry-experienced, and dead-set on giving you the tools necessary for industry-level work. By the time you graduate, your portfolio will show improvements far beyond anything you could have accomplished on your own. I was so happy the day I found out that I was accepted into the college, and to this day it stands as one of the happiest moments of my life. If you are looking for a private art school with an emphasis on animation, then LCAD is certainly the choice for you.

Breeya

Laguna College of Art and Design is awesome. I am actually an incoming transfer student so I don't have too much to say besides what I've seen through two tours and accepted students day, however I can tell that from attending this college, I'll gain and learn a great deal. The environment and setting is very beautiful as well. The only thing that I do not like about the school is how limited on campus housing is and the lack of food options. Though this is the case, it will not stop me from attending.

Kathryn

"I love it. Enough said," is what I would say had I not been required to write more to fill in the blanks. I don't know what you want me to say! I love this school! The teachers in my department are awesome and hilariously relatable! My fellow students and I share a mutual understanding in the ways of bullshitting our way through finals with the power of caffeinated beverages! WE DRINK COFFEE LIKE SHOTS OF TEQUILA WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT ME TO SAY????!!!

Wendy

Laguna College of Art + Design, or LCAD, is an incredible private art school with a vast amount of opportunities for their students as well as their alum. They have partnerships with big-name companies, such as Blizzard and Vans, and they offer their students an extensive education where after four years, they come out well-rounded individuals. Though a small school, LCAD has slowly expanded, offering better equipment and newer courses and providing a better education at every step of the way.

Kindra

Really great school. The teachers are really great and really care about helping you learn an grow as a student and person. Some things are a tad limiting - like not having any places close by campus to go to - but otherwise I feel comfortable and happy going here. It's a big chunk out of my wallet and I'll be in debt for a while - but this tight-knit community of artists is what I've been looking for, and I can't wait to complete my education here and be prepared for my career with my amazing colleagues.

Rhea

Although it is a lesser known college, well hidden in the crevices of the canyon in Laguna Beach, my first year spent there was phenomenal. I was treated to a quality education augmented by the small class sizes, industry experienced professors committed to sharing their vast knowledge and top notch facilities. The campus is incredibly small but its intimate size helps to connect people and build friendships with the always helpful and incredibly kind students.

Ailed

LCAD is unlike your typical college or university. Not only does it stand apart due to its specialisation in artistic careers, but it’s small environment makes it for a very personal educational experience. A little over 500 students attend this institution and its student body is only growing to increasing publicity and renowned art programs. Studio classes are kept to twenty students and under which allows for students to work closely with professors. The professors themselves come from heavy experienced backgrounds straight from the art industries including animation, illustration, game art, and design.The instructors and the staff do a great job of preparing students for future careers by having close connections to big industries and conditioning their classes to represent a professional environment. Students leave LCAD with a strong understanding of fundamental art principles, and many are able to find employment and internships related to their field of study. The housing LCAD offers can accommodate a very limited number of students (about 60) and is reserved for incoming Freshmen. However, off-campus housing coordinators are able to help students finding nearby housing, as well as to help students find roommates. Off-campus housing usually tends to be less expensive than the housing the school offers so it is something good to consider. In terms of other accommodations for the students, LCAD has yet to offer more. Due to its small size, LCAD does not offer what big universities do like cafeterias, clubs, or sports. Though due to increasing demand and student population, the schools is bound to offer more of these facilities for incoming students in the years to come. The school does host events for the students, often including free food and fun activities, which can allow students to meet other members of the small close-knit community. It’s library houses a great collection of art books and resources for the students, including anatomical references, films, and an enormous e-book catalog. Students will find there is always something to attend to in regards to school activities. Safety is a big concern at LCAD, and the staff is well-equipped for any scenario. The school has it’s own alert system and a campus officer. There are notifications sent out to students whenever there is bad weather, heavy traffic, accidents, and other types of dangers. The school’s location is not the most ideal since it’s nestled in a canyon right before a very busy road. Students must exercise caution when driving or crossing this road, especially for students coming out of state who are not familiar with California drivers. That is one of the biggest concerns in terms of safety for this school. The canyon in which LCAD is located does have its beauty however, and it’s very close to the beach. Students who enjoy being outdoors will enjoy the natural environment surrounding the school. I would recommend students who want an independent lifestyle, a personalized education within a small community, and an environment where free creativity is encouraged, will thrive at this school.

Alain

Personally, I think that LCAD is a good college to attend for students who are serious about working in the art and entertainment industry. The college is hidden away in a small valley before the downtown area of Laguna beach, with a single road that is usually busy with traffic. Expect a couple of delays when driving down to college every once in a while. Now as previously said, the college is a great place for students who are serious about working in the industry. The college does this by teaching the fundamentals of drawing to students, and reinforcing the knowledge that they already have. Studio classes are taught by instructors who make a living in the industry, and they do greatly care for their students . Usually teachers are willing to talk after class about improving art techniques and are willing to give critiques on projects that are a work in progress. Most of the instructors are willing to stay in contact with students and help them., even after the semester ends Though keep in mind that the professors do work in the industry, and they may not always be available to answer emails or stay after class. Now one issue that the college has, are clubs. what LCAD lacks are clubs and the amount being paid to the college, one would expect for there to be a club. Even the majors lack their own clubs, however there are student councils for each majors, . It would be nice if the college majors had student organizations with connections to companies in the industry. Personally, this could be a good way for students remain informed about the inner workings of the industry. Also if the majors had their own actual clubs, students from different majors could see what is being done. Before closing this review, I want give few tips for those who are interested in this college. Don't procrastinate at LCAD! Assignments do build up from classes, and I cannot stress enough that deadlines are important. This is an institution for going into the art industry, and they will drill the importance of following directions and deadlines. If these are not met in studio classes, that student will have their grade lowered. In studio classes ,a failing grade is a - c, so be prompt on work for those classes. Before I forget, learn time management for this college. This will help out with midterms and finals, which is when things get hectic. Otherwise, I hope this was useful and good luck choosing a college of your choice!

Madison

I am in love with the school and feel truly valued and cared for being there. I have already learned more than I ever expected from only my first year. It is truly a wonderful atmosphere filled with passion and love. Being surrounded by people who are exactly where they want to be is refreshing and inspiring

Abigail

I absolutely love the school. The location is beautiful, the school itself is magical, and all in all the environment of the school is great. The students are very supportive of one another and since there are only 600 people attending the school, we are very tight nit. The faculty are professional working artists so knowing that you have professionals teaching you how to do things as well as get into the industry is very comforting. The student housing is not as good as it could be. Very overpriced for small little bunk beds. There are coin operated laundry machines that have not been cleaned so lint gets everywhere. The community at the dorms is very chill and nice however. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone who can't be spending 14K for dorms that aren't really worth it. The stores nearby are very overpriced but it is to be expected because it is near the beach and it is a tourist town. The school does include a free shuttle that will take you to both campuses, the dorms, and also The Artisan apartments where most students live. Overall i love the school, I just wish it wasn't so expensive for certain things.

Ruth

I started in Game Art and (due to the fact I love to write) I have taken on Creative Writing as part of a double major. LCAD is definitely the place you want to be, if you want to be the best. It's a half-and-half kind of school: do a lot of homework and making connections. One being more stressful than the other, but it doesn't matter. A large majority of the teachers and faculty are amazing, and having small class sizes makes it a lot less stressful. In fact, if you are an artist with social issues, this is also the place to go because all we talk about is art, anime and even more art.

sarah

Choosing LCAD was the greatest decision I could have ever made for myself as an artist. After only one semester at this school I feel I have already made great leaps and bounds in my artistic skills, and now have a clear and attainable goal for myself in the future. The students at LCAD are all the most passionate and driven people you could ever meet, and are always more than eager to help each other succeed and truly act like a family. The LCAD faculty are just as passionate about their students meeting their greatest potential as the students are themselves. If you have a desire to push yourself forward as an artist, and have the drive to pursue a career in the arts, LCAD is the school for you.

Giovanni

As someone who has attended several college campuses in his lifetime, I have found that LCAD is truly a place I can call home. Not only are the classes actually challenging and engaging, the staff truly does care for the students' education and well being. In the one semester I have attended so far, I have grown exponentially and feel that I am actually on the path to a obtainable career. My fellow classmates are all so bright and welcoming, the professors are helpful and readily available, and the campus is nestled into the scenic heart of Laguna Beach. I enthusiastically encourage everyone to check out this campus if you have an interest in the arts.