Lake Forest, IL
Lake Forest College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lake Forest College

Kiersten

Amazing professors with low quality students

Amazing professors with low quality students

I would tell my self to focus on my double major ealier. I regret not being sure or focused on my double major the first year because now I can no longer double major. I would also tell myself to rush sororities my freshman year. Rushing my second year I felt left out and unwanted.

How the size of the school limits your social life. You are either in or youre out.

Things will not always go the way you plan. It is incredibly important to be resilient and flexible. Be open-minded and be open to change. Take classes outside of your chosen field and know that your interests will evolve. Get to know people by being non-judgmental and sincere. Don't ever be afraid to share your ideas with others and try to make change on your campus. College provides an amazing opportunity for collaboration. Get to know your professors. They want to see you succeed so never hesitate to ask for help. Make sure to get involved on your college campus. Join student organizations and consider Greek Life. You will immediately feel connected to your campus and meet some great people. The best piece of advice I would give to my high school self would be to not live in the future. As tempting as it may be to think only about college once you have been admitted, don't forget to enjoy your remaining time in high school. You have four years to enjoy college but very little left in high school. Make the most out of it.

Someone who wants to be in a large city would not like it here. Lake Forest is 30 miles north of Chicago and is very accessible, but for someone who wants to live downtown, this may not be the best fit. Also, someone who wants large classes and to disappear in the crowd would not like this school. It is a place where teachers know you by name and want you to succeed.

I don't find anything frustrating.

Tristan

It's a small school with classes ranging from 12-25 students. Very broad range of classes, great liberal arts college. Sports are big in the school and the school spirit is phenomenal. Lake forest has a beach 5 minutes away, Mississippi river. One hour away from downtown, Chicago. Some student complaints are that the college is too small and everyone knows each other. The food is great, from Aramark.

Very diverse and open minded. Great financial aide and amazing student body.

Underestimated school, future secured through study abroad programs, internships and extracurricular activities.

Definitely a great experience. Every department has its professors that are ambitious and eager to teach. Very competitive with other students. Great politics department, sociology and anthropology department, music/chorus/band is great, amazing science department, chemistry, biology and physics. Hard vigorous courses and very challenging for all students. The only thing is the demand on more languages to study. Only Spanish, French, some Chinese and German.

Events every weekend and constant activities daily.

Very diverse. Range from Students who like to be part of the school and those who want to enjoy college.

William

Lake Forest College is an academically, strong liberal arts college with a very diverse international student population. Class sizes are very small which allows a close relationship to the professors in research activities and non-traditional style lectures. Upper classmen are encouraged to pursue filed related internships within the Chicago, Il area and study abroad programs. Lake Forest College provides a culturally and internationally diverse atmosphere where you may build life long friendships.

One of the most important things a high school student can learn from being in college is that they should take their high school classes seriously. Not only is this important to achieve a good GPA, for admission and an academic scholarship, but also to be prepared well for college classes. I am a Biology and Economics major. I took AP Biology in high school, but had to take "Organismal Biology". Looking back, this biology course, as well as upper level biology courses, would have been much easier had I spent the time to learn the information rather than memorizing it, only to forget most of this information by the time I entered college. The information in introductory college courses is going to be a review of AP/honors high school classes, by being well prepared, the information can be learned and connected. It is easy to tell a high school student that they should take their classes seriously, but without giving them a method to do this, the advice is fruitless. Therefore, I would explain the best way to learn information is to understand and integrate the major themes and comprehend the big picture, rather than the minute details.

A student who is interested in only a social life- a party college and not concerned with overall academic experience. This is not a college for a student looking for a large campus with Division I athletic opportunities or games to attend. If Greek life is very important part of your college experience, the number of fraternities and sororities are limted due to student enrollment. A student who is not interested in small class sizes or a close faculty student educational relationship.

Neil

I would tell myself to follow my passion and truly trust myself. Many times it is impossible to make a fully informed decision and necessary to ?trust your gut.? Early on, there might be a tendency to go the route of what others expect as opposed to what I expect of myself. This can lead to unhappiness, underachievement, and potentially failure. The transition to college is a difficult one and it is important to trust your parents and friends. This support structure will help you through any problem. Be patient with yourself since being on your own, taking care of yourself, and making adult decisions is hard. It takes time to become comfortable with this. Lastly and something very important, is celebrate your success. Do not glance over the small accomplishments as these will help lay the foundation for greater accomplishments academically and in life.

The best thing about my school and program is the immediate opportunity to put classroom theory and knowledge into practice. I have the opportunity to spend a minimum of 65 hours in an elementary school observing, interacting, and learning in my first quarter of coursework. The hours will be spread across different classrooms and schools enabling me to maximize the experience. Structuring the program in this manner is exciting to me as I can immediately put knowledge into action. Working in a professional environment is irreplaceable and of the utmost importance to supplement classroom time and build professional experience.

Prior to starting at National-Louis University I wish I was afforded more time to find a classroom placement for my Practicum I, introductory course. Finding an appropriate placement is of the utmost importance to starting off a teaching career right and potentially being forced to settle for a lesser experience could have become necessary if an opportunity did not present itself right away. This was extremely frustrating and unnecessarily stressful.

Kelly

Lake Forest is best known for their student-to-teacher ratio and proximity to Chicago.

I overcommitted myself when I was an undergraduate. I worked, I was an RA, I had more classes than I should have at one time, I did too many activities. I did not sleep for 3.5 years. I would have enjoyed the experience more of being free to try lots of different things but not committing too much to so many responsibilities. Those come later in life. I missed out on being a true college student by being too driven to succeed.

Being from AZ originally, I really did not enjoy the snow.

Kathryn

I would tell myself to apply to a few less prestigious colleges and to look for current students' advice. I would apply for more scholarships and not be so picky about my list of requirements for a school. College is what you make of it.

Groups at this school can be cliqueish, but do not limit yourself to one group. If you play a sport, join other activities. Also, drinking is common, but there are many other things to do. A lot of your experience depends on the friends you make.

The small classrooms, teachers who actually care about their students, the great opportunities from alumni and faculty who care, and the ease of leadership experience

S

A libral arts college outside of Chicago whose strength lies in the small student to teacher ratio, allowing for lots of personal attention.

College is what you make of it, no matter which school you attend. Having said that, go to the best place you get in! If you think you aren't ready for college, there's nothing wrong with taking time off, but do something productive during that time-- volunteer, intern, start a blog-- make a contribution. When you get to college, go to all the orientation events, no matter how dumb they seem. The people you meet there will become your friends. Talk to your professors too, go to their office hours-- they are there to help you. They have so much to offer. If you are overwhelmed with the work load, make lists of what needs to be done and prioritize. Form study groups with classmates. If you feel homesick, depressed or anxious, don't keep it bottled up, go talk to someone. Sometimes just talking about it helps. Don't forget to have fun. Take advantage of school events as well as activities off campus. Get involved! An education is important, not just in order to get a job, but to grow as a person. Always keep learning and challenging yourself, even after you've graduated.

Someone who wants a "larger" experience. The college itself is in a small town and the student body is very small.

Melissa

Each of my classmates have not only a craving for knowledge and learning but they also like to enjoy the free time they recie...

Each of my classmates have not only a craving for knowledge and learning but they also like to enjoy the free time they recieve.

Lake Forest College is best known for being one of the best small Liberal Arts schools in the surrounding Chicago area.

I would tell myself to not worry as much as I did. Take time to relax and enjoy the last moments you have with your family and close friends. College is all about getting to know yourself and the other people around you, so take some time to yourself and really think about what you want to accomplish. You will make new friends and they will be some of the closest people to you later in your life. So take risks and apply everywhere! There is nothing that you can not achieve if you truley put your mind to it. Alos, pack less stuff.

Lake Forest College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.