Lake Forest College Top Questions

Alexandria

Talk more. It is scary, I know, but everyone is in the same exact boat as you. No one knows anyone here either and you just need to put yourself out there. Go up and talk to whomever seems cool or interesting and get to know them. Don't just stand in the background waiting for someone to come talk to you.

christina

1. Dining cards should be spent wisely or perhaps even budgeted. It sucks when you're in finals week and out of money. 2. Make sure you have a bright desk lamp because when it starts getting dark at 5pm you will lose all motivation. 3. Romance is leisure: don't expect it, don't want it, but don't ignore it if it happens. 4. Read your school's handbook: This will inform you about hidden fees and policies. 5. Start saving all the journal articles you read into a file. At some point one will be perfect for whatever you're writing and if you don't have it saved, you'll spend hours browsing google (and still might not find it). 6. Get a room near a bathroom and water fountain. If you don't, you will never drink, and you'll put off bathroom trips. 7. Give yourself a Netflix/Tumblr "time allowance" or you'll never stop. 8. Don't be lazy: take the time to find scholarships. 9. Pick the major that interests you, not the one you think will get you a job. 10. Allow yourself a candy bar now and then.

Maritza

I would tell my high school self to start reflecting on my what I enjoy doing more seriously and see what kind of characteristics within my hobbies could turn into a career possibility. I would start to think about aside from a job, what else do I want to accomplish. I would tell my younger self to really do the research and always ask questions everytime I visited a school or considered a career path/major. I would also tell myself to join as many clubs as I could while in high school and to get a job while in high school too; that would have helped in college. Basically I would have told myself to say "yes" more istead of "no" because I did miss out on opportunities to have fun and to learn because of my shyness. I now understand that everything I thought and felt; the nerves, the doubt, the fear, everyone felt them. Though some let it stop them, some didn't and I did let them stop me from doing so much and breaking out of my shell. It's important to challenge yourself not only acadmically but socially as well. Just get out there!

Nancy

Dear Nancy, first of all, thank you for taking this moment to read this letter. I know that you are probably very busy trying to finish all of your eleven college applications and on top of all ofthat, dealling with the stress of being a big sister. The time you have sacrificed is worth it. Dont feel pressured and dont fear rejection because YOU ARE GOING TO COLLEGE.

Marikathryn

I would tell highschool me that college is worth it, and it is so different from highschool. There is less drama, more challenges and it is a place you will want to be. You have these big, beautiful dreams kid, but you have got to smarten up and quit worrying about the people and stuff around you. Pick your grades up , get back on track. Also, that boy you are dating, there will be many after him, so do not let him get you down in a funk because he breaks your heart. You are a smart girl, you can do it, despite what you are being told by your so-called, self-appointed friends, and parents. I would know, I am you and I am still standing here, working my way to where I, we, want to be.

Do not be over confident when arriving to college just because you have been a part of a very rigorous college preparation program because college will have a different structure and will require some time to get used to. Remember that no things are ever the same, high school may be preparing as best as possible but, it will never show you exactly what your college will be like because there are so many colleges out there that none of them are structured the same way. Perhaps you are well prepared in handling large amounts of workloads in a short period of time and long term as well however, keep in mind that the curriculum will vary from one professor to another therefore, do not be so over confident and instead be nervous because if you are, when you arrive at college you will feel at ease once you see that it is just a matter of time in order to get used to the college life.

Betty

Going back in time to when I was an high school senior I would give myself the advice of making sure to keep your grades up. Grades are the most important thing in school. Even in looking for a job when you graduate college they look back at your grades not just that you got an degree. Also be diligent, dont procrastinate. Putting things off in college is what causes you to stress out and not give the best quality of work you could have done. Dont just apply to one school, apply to all the schools that you thought would be interseting. You never know who might have wanted you there and given you a huge scholarship. most important be involved. Do things out of your comfort zone. Not getting involved and not getting to know people is something that will hurt you in school as well. It is always good to have at least one friend in every class just in case you might miss a day you have someone to cover your back. Most improtant always have fun, even in studying that way you never get board and learning wont be so hard.

Kayla

Take risks, enjoy life, study hard, and have fun.

Andrea

As a high school senior, I would force myself to make more of an effort to break away from my shy tendencies in order to succeed socially. However, I would emphasize the importance of utilizing the resources provided by the college. Most importantly, I would advise and remind myself that attending college is to help gain a better a future, a life different than the one I had struggling as a minority. Education is the most important goal while in college; therefore, my grades and my resume are what I should focus on during my four years. It is easy to forget why I am in school or why I have to wake up at 6 a.m. every day, but it is worth all the suffering and struggling. I would advise myself that it is okay to cry and get frustrated in hard times, as long as I always keep my head high. Finally, I would remind myself I deserve to be in school and I should be proud.

Alexander

Take introductory science classes in community college so you can take more advanced classes when you transfer to undergraduate school.

Kiersten

I would tell my self to focus on my double major ealier. I regret not being sure or focused on my double major the first year because now I can no longer double major. I would also tell myself to rush sororities my freshman year. Rushing my second year I felt left out and unwanted.

Things will not always go the way you plan. It is incredibly important to be resilient and flexible. Be open-minded and be open to change. Take classes outside of your chosen field and know that your interests will evolve. Get to know people by being non-judgmental and sincere. Don't ever be afraid to share your ideas with others and try to make change on your campus. College provides an amazing opportunity for collaboration. Get to know your professors. They want to see you succeed so never hesitate to ask for help. Make sure to get involved on your college campus. Join student organizations and consider Greek Life. You will immediately feel connected to your campus and meet some great people. The best piece of advice I would give to my high school self would be to not live in the future. As tempting as it may be to think only about college once you have been admitted, don't forget to enjoy your remaining time in high school. You have four years to enjoy college but very little left in high school. Make the most out of it.

William

One of the most important things a high school student can learn from being in college is that they should take their high school classes seriously. Not only is this important to achieve a good GPA, for admission and an academic scholarship, but also to be prepared well for college classes. I am a Biology and Economics major. I took AP Biology in high school, but had to take "Organismal Biology". Looking back, this biology course, as well as upper level biology courses, would have been much easier had I spent the time to learn the information rather than memorizing it, only to forget most of this information by the time I entered college. The information in introductory college courses is going to be a review of AP/honors high school classes, by being well prepared, the information can be learned and connected. It is easy to tell a high school student that they should take their classes seriously, but without giving them a method to do this, the advice is fruitless. Therefore, I would explain the best way to learn information is to understand and integrate the major themes and comprehend the big picture, rather than the minute details.

Neil

I would tell myself to follow my passion and truly trust myself. Many times it is impossible to make a fully informed decision and necessary to ?trust your gut.? Early on, there might be a tendency to go the route of what others expect as opposed to what I expect of myself. This can lead to unhappiness, underachievement, and potentially failure. The transition to college is a difficult one and it is important to trust your parents and friends. This support structure will help you through any problem. Be patient with yourself since being on your own, taking care of yourself, and making adult decisions is hard. It takes time to become comfortable with this. Lastly and something very important, is celebrate your success. Do not glance over the small accomplishments as these will help lay the foundation for greater accomplishments academically and in life.

Kelly

I overcommitted myself when I was an undergraduate. I worked, I was an RA, I had more classes than I should have at one time, I did too many activities. I did not sleep for 3.5 years. I would have enjoyed the experience more of being free to try lots of different things but not committing too much to so many responsibilities. Those come later in life. I missed out on being a true college student by being too driven to succeed.

Kathryn

I would tell myself to apply to a few less prestigious colleges and to look for current students' advice. I would apply for more scholarships and not be so picky about my list of requirements for a school. College is what you make of it.

S

College is what you make of it, no matter which school you attend. Having said that, go to the best place you get in! If you think you aren't ready for college, there's nothing wrong with taking time off, but do something productive during that time-- volunteer, intern, start a blog-- make a contribution. When you get to college, go to all the orientation events, no matter how dumb they seem. The people you meet there will become your friends. Talk to your professors too, go to their office hours-- they are there to help you. They have so much to offer. If you are overwhelmed with the work load, make lists of what needs to be done and prioritize. Form study groups with classmates. If you feel homesick, depressed or anxious, don't keep it bottled up, go talk to someone. Sometimes just talking about it helps. Don't forget to have fun. Take advantage of school events as well as activities off campus. Get involved! An education is important, not just in order to get a job, but to grow as a person. Always keep learning and challenging yourself, even after you've graduated.

Melissa

I would tell myself to not worry as much as I did. Take time to relax and enjoy the last moments you have with your family and close friends. College is all about getting to know yourself and the other people around you, so take some time to yourself and really think about what you want to accomplish. You will make new friends and they will be some of the closest people to you later in your life. So take risks and apply everywhere! There is nothing that you can not achieve if you truley put your mind to it. Alos, pack less stuff.

Joseph

College will give you some of the most awesome and worst times of your life, but you have to embrace it all with open arms and an open mind. Don't limit yourself to who you meet and befriend, what activities you do on and off campus, and look forward to what's to come. You're life is going to get busier than ever before, and you're not always going to like it, but when you look back at it all in retrospect, you won't have a single true regret. Stay focused, because playing catch-up sucks, and you're not going to get away with the work ethic you had in highschool. This is your future, so treat it like so. Have fun, stay focused, and celebrate when appropriate.

Leah

Finding the right college can no doubt be a stressful and daunting process, but try your best to enjoy the ride. Look for some that you normally wouldn't consider and get a feel for size by looking at schools of all different sizes. Don't make decisions based on the name, try to get past all of that because wherever you go it'll be what you make of it. Look for small class sizes and accessable professors, I've found these things make all the difference. When you get your acceptance letters and financial aid packages re-evaluate and try to make the best fit for you and your wallet, in the long run money does matter. Parents, do your best to stay out of the decision making process, it is easier to make the best of a situation when you know you've made the decision on your own. So students when you finally make the decision trust that is the right one and give it time. If its not, transferring is not as hard as it seems. When you finally arrive on campus and are scared to death, know that everyone else is too.

Sara

It will be alright. You will be happy, you will make friends, and you will figure out what you want to do with your life. Don't worry.

Laura

When students want to find a college that they will be satisfied with they should consider the location, size, and policies that they would prefer to work with. When deciding where to go to college, two things in proximity to the school should be considered. Students must know if they should realistically be far from or close to home. Do they or do they not care about what surrounds their campus? Do they want to go to a college near a city, in a city, or even near a town? Size is also important in two ways - in terms of population and in the actual physical sense of how big the campus is. Some students are better suited to small schools while others would prefer a large university, there are pros and cons for each that should be weighed. How big the campus is really does matter as well, because the student should know if they will need to walk or drive to their classes, practices, and events. Knowing the requirements the school has for choosing classes each year, and how many classes the college requires each year is important for undecided students and those certain of their major.

Anne

I think the greatest thing about the american college system is that you dont kneed to know what or where you want to go right away. You have the ability to change your mind. You can get a good education at almost any college as long as you apply your self. College is all about what you make of it, if you are open to new experances and people you will love college and get the most out of your experance.

Mallory

Make sure it's affordable and has the right balance of fun and academics. When you visit college, have your parents drop you off by yourself in the middle of campus and walk around to see if you feel comfortable with your surroundings.

Marina

Figure out what you'd like to do beforehand.

I would advise students and parents to select a school where they feel comfortable, because this will allow them to be open to talking to peers and professors about any questions or concerns. A place where the environment seems healthy and as a place where they can learn and grow as a person. College isn't all about getting great grades (though helpful), it's about the whole experience - meeting new people, learning new ideas in class, viewing the world in a different light, and of course having fun as well. Don't let homework consume all of your time, yet don't let your friends pressure you into going out one night instead of finishing an important assignment. Find a college where you feel you can best thrive, whether it's at a small school in the suburbs, or a large school in a city. Where do you think you will learn the most about what you are interested in? Also, do they provide career services and counseling? Go to a college where you can be yourself and can feel comfortable. Don't go somewhere because your friends or parents, go to a place that feels BEST for YOU!

Ryan

Think about what you want to study and make your decision based on academics.

Get involved!

Alexandra

send them to LF! they will be acadamically challenged!

Daniel

Don't obsess over your college hunt, you can always transfer.

Meghan

get involved with at least one student organization and attend on campus events sponsored by these groups

Ryan

Make sure to make a campus visit and spend the night there if you can

Derek

Find a school that allows you to focuse on your strengths, but does not hinder future possiblities.

Shannon

Make sure your child visits the college first. An overnight visit with a day of shadowing classes, eating in the caf, talking to students, is crucial!!

Megan

Be honest with yourself about what you want from your college expierence.

Diliana

Make sure to visit the college before attending it. You can get a very good sense of the place by simply being in it.

Asia

I would say that you need to definitely research each school to the best of your abilities. When looking into a school look at all aspects not just academics, but the location of the school,the general tone of the student body and what there is to do on campus. Without knowing all these things you could end up at a school you are unhappy with. Not everything about school is the academics and prestige. The school will also be where you live, your home for the next four or more years and you need to be happy there and satistfied with the total college experience. To make the most of your college experience once you are at your school, you need to take full advantage of what the school offers to you. Join clubs or others activites in order to meet new people, and if your ever having trouble of any kind there is always help you just have to know how to look for it on campus.

Lindsey

Try and talk to students in addition to just the people in the admissions office. They have an aggenda and are more likely to put a positive spin on everything

Dimitra

It is always tough for a freshman entering college. And the main thin to remember is that it is always hard for a child to move away for the first time, so the key ingredient is to give whatever school you go to some time before you truely decide whether or not they are going to transfer. The best thing to do when looking for schools is deciding on school size. How large do you want your classes, how invovled do you want to be with your professors. Also look at your high school career and ask yourself where you an invovled student. The activities you do in high school maybe look for those same activities at different colleges and then you'll find students with the same interests and it wil be easier to aclimate to school. But I suppose the one thing I would strongly emphasize is to keep an open mind.

Brianna

Go visit campuses you are interested in. Allow your child to spend a weekend as well as a Monday on campus to really get a good feel for it.

Max

Considering that college is ultimately to fulfill your own education needs and desires, helping to advance you socially, emotionally and mentally towards your dream job and then lifestyle, finding the right college is a very important step in your life. It is not however a step that you can go about taking without first considering who you are as a person, what you find important, and where you see yourself in ten, twenty, or more years. Only through knowing yourself can you truly find a college that fits your needs. Yet futures are fluid, they change along with habits and interests, and so are often difficult to pinpoint at an early age. Ignoring smaller details, it seems that there are two large categories of desireable schools: Name Brand and Individual Attention. They each have their own benefits and who you are as a person should be reflected in the emphasis you place on this distinction. All else aside however, college is what you make of it. Figure out what you enjoy, visit widely, talk to students and teachers, and find a place that's comfortable for you. Once there, enjoy your time. Work hard, play hard. Pursue YOUR happiness.

I would advise you to go visit and choose the place where you feel most comfortable. As far as makibng the most of your expirence remember "wallowing in muck is for pigs, not people" meaning that you should get out of your room and have fun because part of college is learning to know yourself in addition to learning information. Always participate in class that will help you learn

Cooper

You need to prioritize to find the right college. My family didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I now attend a GREAT college that offers an excellent eduaction as well as fair financial aid and scholarships.

Finding the right college is a big decision. Before beginning your search, it is important for you to examine yourself and the reasons why you want to go to college. Why are you really going? What do you want out of life? Do you need to be close to your family? Next, you have to decide what size school you want to attend. Do you want a smaller school that provides more internal exploration? Do you need or want individualized attention? Or are you okay going into a class with 300 other students? Remember that a name-brand college will not guarantee you future success. Whether you graduate from Harvard or a small liberal arts school all that matters is the skills and experience you receive. It is also not vital to pick a college based on a major. Coming out of high school, you do not have enough information or life experience to choose a major. In order to determine your interest and aptitude you need to take a broad range of courses. Lastly, you can afford to go to any college. Ask for help and advice colleges have amazing financial aid packages. Good luck.

Randy

Go to the school and walk around. Get a feel for the campus, talk to freshman and Seniors.

Iva

The advice I would give when choosing the right college and making the most of the college experinece is to choose a college that the student can see him/herself fitting in. They should like the campus, the dorms, if they are living on campus, and all the different classes and activities the college offers. If the student feels that a college might be the right one for them, then it most likely will be.

Randy

Visit the campus and talk with students and teachers, before you deceide to go there. Every campus has a different feel to it and once you walk onto a campus that feels right for you, then you know where you should apply. This also helps, when you move to the campus, it will feel friendlier and make you feel at home quicker. Also you should go and try their food. Find out if it taste good and then find out how often they change the menu. Some schools have a set weekly menu that last all year. Talk about Boring! And finally, Talk with freshmen and Seniors to get a broad picture of the school.

Katherine

none

David

I would advise students who are choosing which institution to attend to focus on three categories. Firstly they should consider what size school would suit them best, be it small or large and how they want to fit into the student body. Just like real estate they should also consider location. Is being in the city important, or do they prefer a quieter environment? Lastly, they need to consider the programs the school offers, not just for their educational time there but also how well the school allows them to find employment after graduation.

Rodolfo

Visited the college and talk to student about the social life.