Mattoon, IL
Lake Land College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lake Land College

The students in all my classes are very helpful, nice, respectful, and have become good friends.

If I could go back and talk to myself as high school senior I would give all the advice that I could. I would make sure I took all my classes more seriously and studied harder. I would make sure I got better grades so I had better chances of getting scholorships. I would also tell myself not stress out so much about transitioning into college. It is just like high school, but much more relaxed and laid back. The most important advice I would give myself is to make sure I knew for sure what career path I wanted to get into. I was for sure that I wanted to become a physical therapist, but I ended up switching to nursing. I took some classes I did not need when I could have used the money for classes I currently need. It is mainly important to be well prepared for college no matter if it is a small community college or a big university.

I really do not brag about anything. If i say anything nice about the school it is typically about how good some of my teachers are and how they give easy tests or homework.

gage

I am glad i attend college because in high school i didnt think i was going to make it college but i was wrong

A person that goofs off and wastes all their money and the people thaT never show up to class shouldnt attend this school because it could be failure ahead,

Kristi

Enjoy your senior year. Miss some school and check out different college and university campuses, especially when the weather is nice. Don't worry so much about grades and hang out more with your classmates. Get to know them before you all part your seperate ways. Spend some more time trying to figure out what you want to major in. Go out and job shadow. Volunteer! Have a great senior year. Make it a memorable year. Take lots of pictures. Get to know who you really are. Don't doubt yourself and be willing to take more risks. Don't listen to want others are telling you to do, but decide for yourself. Stop procrastinating. Fill out the FAFSA and fill out every scholarship you possibly can. Don't freak too much about the future. College is so much better than high school. Best of luck.

I like the faculty the most at Lake Land College. They know what they are teaching, as well as know how to present it in an interesting manner. The teachers are also willing to go out of their way to help their students.

The people whom I recommend to attend Lake Land College are those who are ready to take the step into a four-year university, have not decided what they want to major in, or those who want to save a little money for when they transfer.

Tiffany

Although it is only a two-year college, Lake Land College provides a high-value education. Lake Land has a variety of instructors with friendly personalities who are able to make complex information relevant and interesting. The Student Activity Board is always busy planning free events for students to participate in, from speakers to competitions to craft projects. The campus is beautifully landscaped and well-maintained in winter and summer. The small class sizes encourage discussions which simultaneously promote deeper understanding of material and closer peer relationships. Lake Land also provides great aid to students with disabilities, learning and otherwise.

"Although you think you know everything about succeeding, think again. Why do you work to do your best? Education's ultimate reward is not a pizza party, scholarship, or degree. Do not expect these. When rewards are not promised, what will you work for? The true reward of education lies in the process itself-- understanding of self, purpose, and concepts much greater, and the resulting ability to reach out to others. Strive because details matter, but disregard the urge to make someone notice. Remember: In silence, you find wisdom; among peers, you find purpose; in finding balance, you find happiness."

The kind of person who should not attend Lake Land is one who thinks education is without effort. Students who want to 'get by' without getting noticed should not attend; instructors make strides to form bonds with each student and recognize all levels of effort, diligence, and perseverance. Even peers notice others' work ethic in collaborative projects. A student who thinks they can succeed without attending classes should not attend either-- instructors have policies that require dedication, and any student who is not willing to work and think should do some reconsideration before committing.

Hilary

I would say, wake up! As a senior I always assumed that I would get into the college of my dreams and I wouldn't have to do very much in order to get in. I didn't take the classes I needed and I didn't focus on my school work. I was too busy day dreaming. I should have been spending more time filling out college applications rather than on immature boys. Honestly though I had no idea what I was doing while I was a senior. I didn't realize when I was suppose to start looking at colleges, applying or even filling out scholarships. Nobody in my family ever really talked about colleges for me. But I would tell myself to try and do it on your own if you can, and if not then ask a counselor. I would tell myself that there are more options, more than I could realize about getting help with college stuff. And if I had been smarter as a senior in high school then I believe I wouldn't still be at a community college, but rather a four-year university.

I wish I had known what to expect. My mother never really prepared me for anything. And the first class I had I was so nervous I thought I would have a panic attack. I wish I would have known that its not so bad; especially since this is a community college and not a big university. I also wish I would have known to relax more, and have better organizational skills. My first semester I did not have a planner, and I have no idea how I made it without one.

Honestly there are not a lot of things wrong with Lake Land College. Its a great place to begin or pick up on your education. I feel very comfortable there and I believe it has gotten me prepared for a four year university. The only thing I will say that has me bothered is the way the school is designed. It is designed in a circle. You walk out of one class room and you have to go in a full circle sometimes to get to your next class.

Timothey

My school is very close to where I grew up. The college also has a small student body, allowing for stronger student-instructor interaction. As well, staff and administration are very mindful and helpful the all the students they encounter. This has proven quite crucial in my continued education here. The college is also very affordable, though I received a scholarship that covered most of my tuition.

The first piece of advise I would give myself is not to be so terrified of the transition. College is not as dramatic a change as you fear. You may have to leave many of your friends as they go to other schools, but this creates the opportunity to forge more and stronger relationships. Take that opportunity! Also, the atmosphere of college is one of greater openess and liberty. Optimize this to let yourself explore the experiences that exist and to find the person you want to become. College is a testing ground of sorts. There are many classes, many clubs and institutions, and many people to get to know and experience. Do not hesitate to utilize all that they offer, to become a part of them, to help you in your development as a student and an adult. Learn all that you can to prepare you for your future career, or to determine what career you want to pursue. Participate! It will afford you valuable experiences and put you in touch with new and interesting people. All of these you shall come to cherish and be very glad you took the opportunities available.

Lake Land is a school for a diverse range of students. The student that should most attend this school are those who are not yet comfortable with the idea of enrolling in a larger school, who may not have the funds to afford a more prestigeous school, as well as those who simply are uncertain as to the educational and career path they may want to pursue. Lake Land is a great testing ground for those who wish to experiment with their skills and aptitudes to see what they may truly wish to pursue.

Kirsten

If i could go back in time and prepare myself for something it would probably be time management. In high school i had all A's and it was easy for me. I have lived on my own since my senior year. Nobody is helping me pay for college so i have to work alot. i have two jobs, two dogs, and a cat. Not to mention a lot of bills. I am also a full time student so i have alot of homework. THen of course my friends want to hang out all the time. Me first semester was very stressful because i couldn't find time to do everything. Eventually i learned how to make time for everything and now im not as stressed. I just wish i was prepared for evrything that way my first semester wouldnt have beeen so stressful. On a good note i still got all A's and one B. :)

I wish i would have known about the teachers and their backgrounds. That way i would have been better prepared to take their classes and know their teaching styles.

I broag about myy grades. I have always been a really good student in high school and i still am. I usually get all A's.

Lake Land is a traditional community college that offers a wide variety of technical, vocational, and transfer programs.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, their are lots of things I would say to myself. First, I would tell myself that moving away and going to a four year college is not the best idea. The community college near my hometown is an excellent school that will adequately prepare me for a four year college. I would assure myself that I can do well in college and never to doubt myself. I would have also, reminded myself that my parents are smarter than I think and that it would be in my best interest to listen to them and not take them for granted. Most of all, I would tell myself that school is very important and an education is something to be proud of and take pride in attaining.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that all the classes I need for my major are not offered at the extention building that is closer to my home than the main campus. I work and attend classes so it is hard for me to drive to the actually campus in the evenings.

Marcus

My school is a great place to learn, to meet new people, and to study at.

My school is a great place to learn, to meet new people, and to study at.

Deffanently go for it! It's so much easier to deal with and much more convient.

I really like the convience of attending Lake Land College here in Mattoon and their sub-branch, the Kluthe Center, in Effingham. The classes they offer are pretty decent and really offers alot of opportunity for the advancement of education.

Jerald

Lake Land College is the best way for a person to enter back into the college atmosphere, learn alot, and accomplish things that you never thought you could do-A fresh start for your life.

Go NOW to college!! Do not wait 20+ years thinking that you have a great job, and will always HAVE that job. There are many things that you need to do in life-and this is one of them!! Some day, you are going to get married, have children, and then realize that your education WAS the most important thing in your life. The great job, the great life-the great home, car, and money all came BECAUSE you went to college. If you do not choose to go to college now, you will regret this for many years. Then suddenly it will be manditory for you to go because you have no more options. I am there now. The world has changed, and getting by is not going to work anymore. You need a bachelors degree, or else be stuck flipping burgers the rest of your life. Is this what you want? So, take my advice, and do it NOW. Your future, and myself, (me) are waiting for you! P.S. Marry the rich girl you meet in college-don't let her go!!!

Lake Land College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.