Lake Michigan College Top Questions

Dear High School Me, Do as much as you can in this last year of high school! In college, you get pretty busy and can't do as much as you'd like, so do all you can now! School spirit should always be a top priority along with going to all the sporting events possible, even if they're at the opposing school. Everyone says you won't see most of your classmates again or your relationships won't be the same, and believe it or not, it's true! In college you have a new start, so don't worry too much about all the drama high school brings. It's typical for seniors to slack off, but it will be worth your while to study harder than you ever have before. It's important to already have developed study techniques for the road ahead of you. Most of all have fun! This last year will go by in the blink of an eye, so make every moment count.

kristina

I would say to myself research more into the current major choice you have chosen. I spent the first 2 years in college dead set on one major until I discovered it's an extremely tough field to get into and most that go into it are unable to get the job they actually went to school for. If I had known this there is a good chance I’d be done by now and in a desired job. I choose a different one for job availability and because I feel I'll like it equally as much. I'd also say try harder and the future believe it or not gets better. It's always darker before the dawn.)

I would tell myself that it is hard to motivate yourself to do work so keep it up now.

ashley

If i could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior the first thing i would tell myself is that its never to early to start applying for scholorships and financial aid. Even when it seems like there is plenty of time to do it, graduation comes faster than you expect and when it does it becomes hard to find any scholorships still available. Always utilize the time you have and don't put things off for later when you could do them now because more times than not the longer you wait the less chance there is that it will get done.

Makisha

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition. I would tell myself that the best thing to do is to go to college right after high school. Waiting years after you have completed high school to go to college can be very challenging. You know that saying, “if you don’t use it you’ll lose it.” Well it’s true! If you wait several years to go to college you may have to take refresher courses before starting classes toward your degree. I have noticed that going to college in my later years is very overwhelming; you have more responsibilities than you would have if you went right after high school. I have a family to take care of, I work full-time to pay bills that I have accumulated over the years, and to add homework & studying to my plate makes for a very long & tiring week. Only if I knew then what I know now, but it’s too late to complain. I just have to do what I have to do to better myself.

Apply for scholarships, as many as you can! Spending time to write essay after essay is worth it. Yes, attending a community college for your first few years will save you some money. When you're ready to attend Michigan State University, you're going to wish you had applied for more.

Dear High School Self, Today you are a senior and have the whole world in front of you. Right now you are planning on going to college and letting life take you from there, let it. In your life you are going to make choices that will feel like mistake, make them. Once you are in college you will change your major multiple times, change them. Life will be messy but I promise you the outcome is worth it. Every thing you do in your life will bring you where we are today. You will find your place in life and know that one day you will have a chance to make a difference in the world. The school you choose will be the best decision you will ever make. So take risks and embrace all the things that the school has to offer. Make sure you get involved, study hard, and live on campus for at least one year. You will make life long friends and people that will lead you on the road to success. Have no regrets because these are the best years of your life! Sincerly, You

I would say, stop worrying. You are going to meet great people who will make this transition easier. It is so much better than high school. You will not have to deal with the drama. And no, you will not miss Band. You have so many other opportunities that are going to fall into your lap. Stop stressing. Smile more, laugh more. You can do this. Enjoy the little things. Study more in high school and stop messing around. You don't need to watch TV as much. Go outside. Work a few more hours for some cash in your pocket. Work hard on homework and take every chance you can to hang out with a friend. They will not be around once you graduate. Keep your head up, beautiful. Don't waste your stressful tears on the little things. And one day, you will look back and be proud of where you came from and finally be able to say "I did it, I made it."

emilyanne

I would have to tell myself to be involved more. Academics are great and a wonderful thing to focus on, but I didn't participate in a lot of extra curricular activities and fun thiings the school had becuase I was so focused on academics and taking AP classes and figuring out my future. I should've been going to sporting events, going to dances and prom, participating on the debate team, playing on sports teams, and just enjoying my high school experience instead of trying to get out of high school as fast as I could. If I had taken part in these things, then I would have made a lot more friends, and had a way more positive memory of high school, and would've also learned how to socially interact in these situations and with many different people. I cut myself off from a lot of interaction that I could've grown from and really enjoyed. Overall, though, I do not have regrets, because how I did things, made me who I am today, and as long as I'm being me, I have acheived more than most.

Looking back I would tell myself you have to stay focused as well as having good time management. My first year of college was difficult in a way. I did not know how hard it was to juggle school, homework and softball all at the same time, until it actually happened. When I signed up to play softball in college I did not realize how much time actually went in to playing a college sport. Practices range anywhere from three to six hours, with school and homework on top of that. I can honestly say going into my freshman year of college I did not know how to manage my time wisely. I also did not focus too hard on my schoolwork, until about halfway through my first semester. However, finishing my first year experience now to my advantage I understand the amount of hard work and effort it takes to make it through college. My first year of college had its ups and downs, I just wish I had somebody by my side to give me meaningful advice and to tell me what to expect.

Well for me I was sick all through my senior year of high school. So much so that I could not attend. I ended up doing a few classes at home but in the end was going to the school for an hour a day to work on my classes on the computer. What I would tell myself now is that I should have sucked it up and gone to school anyway, that way I would have my diploma already, instead of only being half a credit away. I would also tell myself to not be so shy around people, and to actually open up to others. I do lack in the friendship category, and have always regreted not talking to people more. Other than that college isn't much different than high school, at least so far. I just want to tell myself to study and to take things seriously. There's no room for error this time.

I would definitely go back and tell myself to work harder at getting scholarships. I did receive 5 scholarships when I graduated and I thought that would be plenty to get me through, boy was I wrong. I would tell myself to work morning, noon, and night to get as many scholarships as I possibly could because I was going to run out of money and not receive financial aid once I got married. To tell you the truth, I probably would tell myself to wait until I finished college to get married because then I probably would have been able to keep my full pell grant and not be in the predicament that I am in right now with not being able to pay for college. I would also tell myself that I need to study extra hard and take each class very seriously, not just the ones that I enjoy taking.

Jaime

I would have much to say to myself. Things like not to give up, stay in college as long as possible, do better than my best, go as soon as you graduate, and not to limit my choices. The big thing that I would want to tell myself is to hang on tight because the ride is long and difficult but worth every minute!!!

valerie

I would tell myself that grades are everything and don't listen to that person who whats you to goof off. Take pride in who you are . Study as hard as you can and go on to bigger and better things. There are always people that will try and steer you in the wrong direction, don't listen to them. Do what will make you happy in the future and for your family. Look where you can be in a few years. Have your family help you and again in the end you will be happier if you were to listen to your family. I think you better listen to what your parents have to say as always mom knows best right?

Lyle

Study hard because this is the best time of your life and as you get older it is harder to learn anything. Remember All knowledge is useful, and therfore good.

Nate

Continue at the 2 year community college. Then transfer to a 4 year University. Study realy hard and be able to graduate in another 2 years. Be ready to take a job somewhere new and have the skills needed.

Nate

Go to a 2 year community college, finish what you started in High school as a dual enrollee at the local community college. After that attend a good 4 year University and double major in Business / Manufacturing Engineering. Then start a life making good money. Instead of working a low paying factory job going to the community college part time 6 years after High School graduation!