Lake-Sumter State College

« See more reviews of Lake-Sumter State College

If I could go back in time I would have three self-suggtions: Suggestion number one was to go and buy a planner. I really recommend this. Once you get all your syllabuses for your classes’ copy all the dates of quizzes, tests, research paper due dates, etc. into it. Then start with your first week. Break down each of your classes. Plan times to study, work on papers, perform research, whatever you need to do. By doing this you will help balance your life. Everything will have a time to be done and most important you won’t have to do anything last minute! Also makes it easier to plan social events, too! Hint, Hint! Suggestion number two was to get organized. Go out and get binders, dividers, a laptop, whatever you need to help keep you organized. The easier it is for you to access your notes, study guides, research information, etc. the better chances you have to succeed academically.Suggestion number three was to find a study buddy or study group. College students who go to study with fellow class mates tend to score higher, retain the information longer, and in some cases make lasting friendships

First of all, I would tell myself to "forget about the boys, serious relationships, partying, etc" and to decide upon which major I will be pursuing, and starting college. I would then tell myself to take four to five classes in the spring and fall, and two classes in the summer. I would go on to tell myself to do my homework and all class assignments, make full use of the tutoring and extra help that is available via the learning center, and if the work is still difficult, then hire a private tutor. I would take advantage of the student associations that are available, the work study programs, etc. I would avoid obtaining all unecessary debt, because there are various opportunities to receive scholarships, grants, etc..I would make full use to all that is available to me. In ending, I would tell myself that this is the best time to go to college, versus waiting until I am in my mid to late thirties to start, because if I go now, then I will have opportunities to finish college without the extra strain/stress of bills and other responsibilities.

I have not had much college experience. I have attended one semester at Virginia College Online in Birmingham Alabama. It was a great experience. It was very valuable to me because it made me feel like a better individual. I accomplished something. I know I am one step closer to achieveing my dergree . I recieved my first report card and was very proud of what I had achieved. It boosted my self-esteem, and I told myself, " I can do this!". I am looking forward to next semester.I have already received my books and I am ready to get started. I am a mother of two young children, and I want to be able to provide for them, and give them the best life I possibly can. This is just not possible without a college degree. My children are my main priority, and I also want to set a good example so they can succeed in life. It's not easy, when it comes to finding a job. I suggest that the young population of today's society , buckle down and obtain that high school diploma if they want to succeed in life. Most important go to college.

I would say, ?Rebekah, go ahead and take a chance on attending college; try something new you are afraid of doing. The worst that could happen would be to take a class and find out it was not what you wanted to do after all. Stop worrying about a bridge you have yet to reach because by the time it is in sight, believe me, it will not look so scary. Take the first step sooner rather than later as the longer you wait the harder it becomes to take that first step. Get involved in student organizations so you can get scholarship money and make friends, plus you will gain valuable leadership experience. You are your own best advisor. Read the college catalog in order to get familiar with all they offer and all their policies, it will save you time and headaches later on. Above all else, don?t let fear keep you from attempting the seemingly impossible. If you let fear keep you from your dreams, it will stalk and haunt you the rest of your life and keep you from discovering potential fulfillment and true happiness as a person.?

If I could go back in time and talk to myself while still in Highschool there are so many things I would say. The number one thing I would stress would be the importance of my grades in school. If I regret anything now it is the fact that I am very smart and was capable of getting much better grades than I did. There are so many scholarships that I could have gotten and would have made going to college so much easier. When you are in Highschool you might not realize how important college will be to you. I took some time off after highschool then it hit me one day that I was wasting time! If I would have gone straight to college I would be done by now! I am 22 years old and almost done with my 2 years or pre-requisites for nursing. I have also realized now how much I really enjoy going to school. It is not what I expected it to be back then. It is much different when you are able to study the things you are interested in, and when you feel like you are working towards something.

When I left high school I knew that I wanted to go to college. All through out high school it was a breeze and didn?t require much studding. Even the teachers in high school warn you that college will be very difficult. If I could truly go back in time the first thing I would tell my self is hit the books hard. I would tell myself that if I don?t study hard and pass my classes the first time around I?m going to be stuck in school for much longer than I want. Next I would tell myself to pick a major early on and not procrastinate about it. I would of course hint towards the medical field to help my past self pick what I eventually did. The last message I would leave with myself is no matter what aim to finish school and get good grades. Without the good grades you will lose your scholarships easily and will have to work really hard to get them back if even possible. I?m sure the past me with this advice would go on to college with a strong mind like I have now.

Knowing what I have learned through my first semester in college is that you need to be prepared and ready to work hard. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would've studied harder to prepare myself . I'd tell myself to do dual-enrollment to get free college while I was still in Highschool to get prepared for what I had heading my way. It would've helped alot considering all the jobs and money I've had to save to pay for my school. I'd tell myself that it would be so much easier to go to college and get the education I need so that I never have to work in a dead end job. I'd tell myself to work as hard as possible in school now and in college, because it'll all be worth it in the end. I would tell myself, I've met successful people like my teacher's, they worked hard in school and look where there at today. Dont go through your whole life working a bad job with just a HIgh school diploma. Do something with your life.

Look at me! You seriously need to get your act together and manifest the intelligence to do your work. If not your going to experience long, dull, miserable nights trying to learn things you could have learned here in High School. I know you panic when you think about your future and thats because you have every reason to! The way God has shown you how this world is and continues to do so, you wont even be able to get a foot in the door if you don't have a degree let alone most people will consider you an unintelligent failure. It might not mean much to you now but you don't want to let Mom and Dad down they really love and count on your success to bring them great joy in there fleeting days. You need to strive for whats academically righteous and mature at a rapid pace. Develope your work ethic and core knowlege of the basic material being taught or suffer through unnecessary adversity that awaits your years of college life.

I would love to go back in time to when I was still sitting in my math class wating for the bell to ring. All through high school the most important thing was hanging out with your friends and going out to the movies on Friday night. I wish I could go back and tell myself to start researching careers and setting goals in my head. Once I graduated high school, I was clueless on why I was going to college, and once I got there, what I was trying to accomplish. I wasted too much time and money in college because I had no dirrection. I went from trying to become a nurse, to a law major, to studying physical therapy, and now I finally plan on becoming a business major. I wish I researched different majors in high school so that I would have some sort of an idea of what I was there to accomplish, and in turn saved a rediculous amount of money and time, which is so precious these day.

I would assert that going to the community college is a mistake, and attending it thus would render myself completely lackadaisical and sorrowed. It would have been a blessing if I had the chance to tell myself to slave everyday for scholarship money, so that I might attend a University outside of the area, and outside of the community college degree of education found at the school I had attended. I would also recommend to myself to pursue true happiness, while at the same time pursuing my education, as the two go hand-in-hand according to my tastes. Most importantly, I would tell myself not to be afraid of leaving the state, that in fact, it would be less of a task than having to deal with the crumbling state of affairs found at the college I had the displeasure to attend. More to the point, it is imperative that I knew the true nature of the school and the true nature of myself.