Lake Superior State University

« See more reviews of Lake Superior State University

Find a college that suits your expected experience. When you think of going to college or sending your child to college, what do you picture it as being like, the campus, the courses and community? Is it where you want to learn to know and become part of the social community of? Is it financially feasible? Do you know people already going to that college or university or do you look forward to making new friends? Do you want a classroom filled with hundreds of students or a handfull? What kind of weather do you prefer to live in? How far from home are you willing to be? Consider career interests and different majors and programs offered by different schools. Look forward to a brand new experience that can be as confusing as you let it, but know also that no matter how crazy things may seem, many have been there before you, and many have suceeded. The opportunity is there, the choices are yours to make. Don't expect everything to always go flawlessly, and never stress over the smallest things. Always buy required course books, and try to buy offline cause bookstores usually aren't cheap! Good Luck!

If I were to go back in time and talk to my high school senior self I would tell her not apply to other schools and explore her opitions. Staying home to go to school because that is what her boyfriend wants is not the best idea. She could miss out on awesome experiences like living in a dorm, rushing a soroity, and participating more in campus activities. By going away she would almost have to be more engaged and meet some wonderful people who would become friends for life. I would also want her to know not to rush into a major and explore the different choices. I would have her talk to professors, students, and friends about the college experience and recieve a better understanding of what it truely means to be a college student. Also, start applying for scholarships early and write all those stupid essays because they do matter! However, what would be most important to tell my past self is everything happens for a reason and don't be afraid to ask for help at any point. Reach for the stars and follow her heart, no matter how discouraging times can be.

Knowing what I now know about college, the advice that I would give would be very important. The first bit of advice that I would give would be to breathe, everything is going to be ok. You will miss your home, family and friends, but so will everyone else. Do not worry you will see them again. Stay organized. Do not learn this the hard way by loosing important papers, essays, and homework. Take the time to make a file for each class and other important things. Make sure that you fill out your planner and keep on top of your homework, do not let yourself slip behind. Make sure that you go and talk to your professors; they are willing to help you succeed. The more that you talk to them, the more they will do to help you improve your grades. Make sure that you use the tutor programs at school, do not worry everyone else is using them too! Make sure you set aside time for studying. That is very important. The last thing you should do is make sure that you are having the best time of your life, these are the best years!

Rosario, I have top-secret information for you, you don’t have to know what you want to do with your life going into college. You may believe you do because your friends and family ask you this many times and expect you to know, but you don’t. Going into college you should be looking for all the opportunities and possible options that may be available for you. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. What you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on things you like if you want to be good at what you do. It may seem that it will be easy to decide what you like, but it’s actually difficult, mainly because it’s hard to get a real-life picture of what most jobs actually are like. Being a doctor is not the great drama life of Grey’s Anatomy. To figure out exactly what these jobs are like or more importantly what you will love, use college to explore different academic fields while taking your general education. Use college as a time to find your true calling.

I would tell myself that college isn't like high school it is a big change in your life. The class work is more demanding and classes move at a faster pace, so you have to do your work and keep up in class or else you'll fall behind and have a very hard time catching up. I would tell myself that college is where classes come first and skipping class is not acceptable you are paying to be here so you need to go to class, but you need to have a social life too. College will be one of the best most memorable times in your life, and if you don't make friends, go to campus events, get involved in clubs or sororities or fraternities, and sporting events then it will be a long four years. I think that the most important thing that I could tell myself is that the first year is really important when determining your GPA, it's doesn't take much for a GPA to drop, but takes a lot of work to get it back up. So, go and focus on studies but have fun while your there!

Make sure to take advantage of any oppurtunity to take a college tour, or to visit the any colleges you are interested in. Don't wait until your orientation, go during the school year, when the whole day isn't focused on impressing newcomers. If you going on a random day during the year, you will see what the school is really like. Join extra curriculars, I strongly suggest Greek Life, but anything will work, just get involved. You will make lots of friends, and it will help you feel more accomplished. Also, as cliche as it sounds, go to class, and do you work. You will really regret it if you blow off your freshman year, and then have to stay an extra year to retake a couple classes. Remember, college is a new place, with new people, and new oppurtunities. If you didn't like who you were in high school, now is the time to change it. No one will judge you here, we don't know you were the dorky kid in high school. Be whoever you want to be.

Going to college this fall as a sophmore in college I already feel like I have learned so much. Living on campus has opened my eyes to a variety of things that I had never delt with before. Growing up in a small town you know every one's name and their life story. Going to a new school, I had to meet new people and doing so I learned a lot about cultures that I had never thought about before. For example, my room mate was Dutch and I learned about the food their culture likes to eat and some of the traditions they had. I feel like it was very benificial for me to college because of not only what i learned in my classes, but what I learned from the girls I lived with. I will be able to take the knowledge I gained from the classes taken as well as experience in communicating with others. College helped me become the young and responsible adult i am today. with out it I would still neglect other cultures and the importance of education.

Greg, do not rush on finding a university to attend, but do not wait long either. Do your research well in advance on which universities have great opportunities. The cost of attendence should not be a deterring factor, but do not pick a program in which you will not be able to pay back your loans. Also, you do not need to pick a program that will pay you a high salary if you complete it just for the meere fact of having a high paying salary, but pick a program you truly believe you will enjoy and research which direction you need to tackle in that program to earn that high paying salary. If you take the right coursework in your program of interest, and prepare yourself the the salary you wish to make in that career, you will find a job with the pay you want. There is a great career position in every field of study. Take the time and hard work to earn that position, and do not think for one minute you are not capable of handling it!

When you graduate high school, do not go to a college based on the athletic teams that you may have supported throughout the years or the mileage to and from your hometown. It is important to focus on what's really important, your education. Make sure that the university has your top 3 choices of interest for study. It never hurts to do a little research before you attend the school, find out why other students attend that school, what views students generally hold, and the extra-curricular activities that you can get yourself involved in. College is a time for you to slowly grow-up, by the end of your 4 + years, your university should have helped you find yourself and the place you should go next. As you will be spending years of your life at this college or university, it is important that you are happy and are able to enjoy every minute of it, even if you are in class.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I certainly would not waste this exceptional opportunity to chit chat about my past regrets and self-perceived failures. Instead, I would use my advanced knowledge of the future to describe to my young self precisely how to engineer this time machine. Considering what I now know about college life, I would advise my curious self to travel in this time machine to major turning points in history rather than read biased versions of the truth in an oversized textbook. I would thus spark a technological revolution, as well as resolve the whole scientific misunderstanding regarding the 4th Dimension. I would assure my 18 year old self that I am on the right track, and then I would pay a visit to my future self to reminisce about the good old days I spent scavenging for scholarship money.