Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Brittney

I haven't really meet any classmates at Lamar with the same major as me. What I can say , is that many of them are from my high school and I knew of them, My roommate is a person I have attend 4 years of medical magnet with. We are intended in the same major and registered for the same classes. We intend to help each other as much as we need. She is the best friend that I need and is very helpful. Blessed to have someone to help me and encourage me.

I would give the advice to myself to take the college life more seriously. I didn' t think that college would be this expensive for me. I end up with all the FASFA that I can recieve and still end up short of $ 2,418 short. Its very serious at this point because my tution has to be paid . Its really a burden on my mother , that is basically a single mother trying to put 2 children through college. My mother still has 2 boys to take care of at home. I hate to have to put this on my mother. I just wish that when I was in high school , I would have taken this college life more serious. It would have helped a lot,

I consider the best thing about my school is the nursing program. I wanted to attend this school because of my past of having cancer and me wanting to help others. Lamar nursing program is one of the best in the state of Texas. Lamar has help many students with the nursing program. I want to be one of the graduates to say that I went to Lamar University and had the best knowledge needed to get to RN. Lamar is a friendly and very fun active school towards students. They help you to fit in and come very comforable.

Olivia

Lamar is home to a very friendly, outgoing, studious, diverse group of people.

Lamar is home to a very friendly, outgoing, studious, diverse group of people.

The reason I chose Lamar over all other schools is because at the time it was the only school in Texas that offered a major in American Sign Language and it is known to be the best in the nation for it's ASL program.

Dear high-school self, Please stop whining about living at home during college. You won’t have to worry about paying for gas, paying for rent, or paying for food because your parents have it covered. You should feel blessed that your parents aren’t going to kick you out into the world right after graduation! You are going to be so thankful for the extra four years you have to figure out who you are and how to take care of yourself that a lot of college students won’t get. Don’t buy books; rent them. I know you like to highlight and annotate what you read, but you will save so much more money this way. Just get a notebook and use colorful sticky notes. Also, don’t get the books until after your first day of class. The book list is usually wrong. The professor will tell you exactly what you need in class. Don’t waste time being lazy; be productive, make friends, learn exciting things, get out of your comfort zone, and understand what you believe. Sincerely, College-self

Margaret

Dear Margaret N., At the ancient age of 38, I may have some pearls of wisdom to offer, if you will listen. Your folks aren't so dumb. Listen to them and register for fall classes. I know, you want to "take a break" from studying and the whole school "thing". Being an 18 year old graduate is an aphrodisiac that tempts you to experience new horizons "your way". Regardless of what you believe , you don't know EVERYTHING. Once you find a job, start getting a paycheck, and feeling like an "adult", you start...paying bills. Yes, those things that mom and dad take care of. Then you get married, have kids, and all of a sudden, your priorities have changed. More important things, like having enough money for groceries, paying medical bills and the mortgage takes your focus off of you and your wants. So, do it now. Don't take a year off. You won't go back. And in 20 years, you'll regret that you didn't. You have a long life to live, and you are going to live with the decisions you make. Make wise ones!!! Best regards, Margaret P.

venkatasairaghunath

its a good college as per my view because of the quality of the education provided by professors such as Dr. kami Miki and Dr j. lawrence osborne in the field of computer science espicially Data minig and computer networks

those who are interested in computer networks and those to students who wanted to pusue their masters with less cost

It is university which provides best faculty for students who are interested in Data minng and computer networks,funding is also available more for the students who get the admission here

Kristen

Well Kristen, you made it this far. But, when you go to college next year, maybe you should focus more on school and meeting new people instead of working so much. After all, you have your whole life to do that! Try joining lots of extracurricular activities, and definitely don't ever skip classes! That's how you get behind and plus it doesn't give a very good impression to the teacher. Remember not to take life so seriously and try to have as much fun as you can. You won't ever get these years back, and stressing only takes the years off your life anyway. I hope you also remember not to let anything stand in your way of your goals and dreams. Don't focus too much on things you can't change; focus more on what you can control right now and everything else will take care of itself.

The location. It's located almost in downtown near a chemical plant so it smells bad and it's not very scenic.

Most likely a person with strained finances who likes a small town atmosphere and wants a degree in engineering, business, or some type of science.

Ronnesia

Take another dual credit course it's worth it in the end.

Take another dual credit course it's worth it in the end.

The worst thing would have to be the location. Lamar is kind of secluded, but thats what you expect from a college in a small town.

A student planning to attend Lamar University should be outgoing and determined to succeed.

Tawana

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I must say it would be a great deal of fun. I would have done a few things differently in preparing for my college career. The first thing I would do is stay in my counselor's office; applying for every scholarship there was and finding out all I could on entrance exams. I would have demanded more guidance from my high school counseloris. The second peice of advice I would give is to visit as many colleges/universities as possible. It is good to venture out and experience new places, people and things in life. Finally, I would have joined more civic organizations which would hav led me to participate in many volunteer activities. Volunteerig is such an important part of life, and it helps you transition into the real world. You get to see what it's like to help others or do a job and not get paid; therefore you will have a better value on life. There are things that I would advise, and things that I would have wanted to know and for that reason I had to learn by experience.

I wish I had known when I first started school that it was less expensive to buy my books online or that you could just rent the books that you know you were not going to use again!!!! Would have save lots of money!!!!

Overall it was a good school! Most important thing is to arrive to class on time because parking was not so great!

Lucy

We all enjoy the size of Lamar, that's one of the best things. It's not a teeny weeny school, but the class size ranges everywhere from 5-10 students up to 40-50. This makes it very easy for us to get to know our professors and vice versa, which is helpful when you're struggling with a certain class. The professors always make themselves available to the students for help, and when it comes to tough college classes, I can't think of anything more reassuring. The curriculum is also well-rounded; in fact, an article in the Washington Post published early in 2011 praised our "basics" portion of the standard degree plan as being more thorough and well-rounded than Harvard. Yeah, I said HARVARD. We were shocked too. As far as campus life, it's rapidly changing in a good way. I'm a grad student, and when I was an undergrad, there wasn't much going on around campus at all. Flash forward three years later, and we've got this new energy and enthusiasm that just seems to make things more fun. The football team is back, and that's a really big deal. We aren't exactly the BEST on the radar, but the spirit has caught on and it is exciting around here during football season. Kampus Korner is a restaurant within walking distance of the school, and it's now added a full bar and has bands play at least once a week. If you're 21 and you live on campus, this is a great thing. But the partying thing isn't all we've got--for Memorial Day, the Student Government Association stuck miniature American flags all over the Quad in front of the student center, and it was beautiful. Overall, the vibe around here is really positive, and I appreciate that when I'm stressed out over some tough homework. If I were to describe the school in one word, I probably couldn't. But a few that come to mind: affordable, comfortable, friendly, and very accommodating. Oh, and red.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

To be honest, because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I grew up about 15 minutes away, and the school was an affordable choice for someone who wanted an education but wasn't sure what she wanted out of it. I entered Lamar with plans of completing my "basics" and moving on to a bigger, better school in a bigger, better town. However, I chose to STAY at this school for several reasons. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Lamar inhabited accomplished, intelligent and sophisticated educators in every college at the university, and our small class sizes provided us with immediate access to these extraordinary individuals. My professors, from statistics to children's literature, have challenged me intellectually in subjects I would not have even acknowledged otherwise. In order to succeed at this school, I was forced to open my mind up to things I simply did not care to learn about. My professors forced me to open my mind. And this was what I wanted out of my education.

What are your classes like?

I'm currently earning my masters in English, so my classes are very cool. I just wrapped up my first semester in grad school, and my Romanticism class had around 17 students--five of us were grad students, the rest were upper-level undergrads. At this level, English is much more interesting. You don't usually have those pesky quizzes over the literature anymore, because now you're mature enough to actually read the material and understand it, and the professors know this. And if you don't, well, it's up to you to wing it when a class discussion starts up, or when you have an exam or you're scrambling for a topic for your research paper. Because of the class size, we're able to have some very interesting discussions. We tackle the more abstract issues, like whether we invented language...or did language invent us? It's fun, and very stimulating to walk away thinking beyond the syllabus. Often the discussions continue on after the class, and sometimes a debate will ensue (but nobody fights dirty here, we play nice.) And if the debate wraps up before you're done making your point, you take it to the research paper and argue that point 'till your blue in the face with no interruptions. And if you're passionate enough about the subject you're writing about, odds are you'll get an A. Funny how that always seems to happen. Let's put it this way--for an 8 a.m. class, classroom participation was not usually a problem. That right there says something.

Southeast Texas is I'm pretty sure one of the notches along the "Bible Belt" of the South, so there are several conservative entities floating around. There are more than a few church organizations around campus, but they are a friendly presence at the school. They invite students to free lunches, and they host fundraisers and other fun activities once in a while, so if you're active in your church look into the religious centers around campus. They're good people. I'd say we have a pretty ethnically diverse student body, though not as diverse as maybe other student bodies in the Northeast. The dominant racial groups in the student body are African Americans and Caucasians who are native to the area surrounding Beaumont or Houston, or transfers. We have other races too, but if race is what you're concerned about, I'd look up the socio-economic and racial demographics for the area. I've never really paid attention to that, myself. The theater and art departments have somewhat of a following, as those folks tend to (stereotypically speaking) be, well, "artsy." My boyfriend is a studio art major, and though he isn't the archetypal "artsy" guy (he listens to death metal), he is certainly friends with his classmates and his teachers. It's not uncommon for us to go out and hang out with them from time to time. Everybody jives pretty well, if you know what you're interested in and you be yourself, you'll find your way to some friends. I did.

Student Government Association is becoming more of a presence around campus, and that's always cool to be a part of. I was never really involved with the sororities, and I don't know much about the fraternities...but sometimes they'll have some neat things going on, if they're selling food and have loud music going on in between classes, that's always cool. But the Greek thing isn't really a heavy scene around here...at least in my experience. I will say though that football returned in 2010, and whether you're into football or not it's been pretty exciting. They built a stadium and students get free tickets if we want, so it's neat to have that going on during the fall. Basketball draws a lot of folks from the community as well, and between basketball and football, the sports at Lamar earn us a great deal of support from the community. As far as a dating "scene," well, I don't know how those function at any school? No differently than meeting friends? I've made several friends at Lamar, mostly in class, believe it or not. The class sizes at their largest hover around 40-50 students, so you really get a chance to pair up with a study buddy and help each other out. I've still got friends from my Geology 2 class..and without them, I might not have passed. Surviving that kind of pressure all but makes you friends for life, ha. So if you're looking for love at Lamar, I'd start in the classroom. It's the perfect place to get to know somebody. Just don't talk or text or whatever, some professors will humiliate you if you get caught. (I've seen it.) The party scene usually settles itself around the local bars in downtown Beaumont, and it's also pretty common for people to drive over state lines to Louisiana to go gambling once in a while. I've never lived on campus so I wouldn't know what happens there, but I'm pretty sure the dorms are pretty tame. They're pretty-looking, too. There is however one bar that is literally across the street from campus, Kampus Korner, but this joint also has food, coffee, a jukebox, pool tables, and live music a few times a month I think. From what I understand people don't get too crazy over there. Usually they just kind of hang around and have fun, and it's safe. Nice place.

When you're a Freshman, you take what most students call the "basics," and here you are required to take lab sciences, literature courses, math courses, foreign languages...the requirements vary between degree plans, but essentially you are expected to have a well-rounded education. I think it's definitely worth noting that in early 2011, an article in the Washington Post praised the curriculum at Lamar as more diverse and therefore better than HARVARD. Reason being, even if you're an English major like me, you still have to take statistics, and biology or geology, and those types of courses that aren't so interesting to me. And according to the Washington Post, that makes me more well-rounded than a Harvard grad. HA! Another big perk for us here is the class sizes. We seem to keep growing in numbers when it comes to enrollment, which is always cool, but our largest classes generally hover around 40-50 students tops. As you get higher up into your senior level classes, they dwindle down sometimes as small as 6-10. We all love it; we get to know each other, our professors, and we build better relationships between faculty and students which ultimately makes for a better education overall. The professors know us, they know what we need, and they make themselves available to us if and when we need their help with something. It's really a luxury that other larger schools just don't seem to offer. But we aren't small potatoes, either. We're a nice-sized school with a nice variety--you can get your PhD in Chemical Engineering or you can major in Studio Art. As for me, I earned my bachelor of arts in English and I just wrapped up my first semester back as a grad student earning my masters in English. Getting this far has been no cake-walk, but it has certainly been a fun journey as I've had encouraging faculty who have supported me so much. Mushy, I know, but when you're in college, a supportive faculty is something you really learn to love and appreciate. Basically, Lamar is a great place to kind of "find yourself," so to speak. Whether you're certain about your career dreams or you're just kind of trying to figure all that out, Lamar is a comfortable place to be. I know a guy who came here to study Chemical Engineering, which is a very lucrative career in this area, and changed his mind when he fell head over heels in love...with math. Now, he's soaring to the top in mathematical research.

Well, living in Southeast Texas, we certainly have an interesting variety of folks--we have cowboys, we have thugs, we have nerds, we have hipsters...but we all get along pretty well together. Variety is always a good thing.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.