Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Lalauni

What I have gotten out of my college experience is a sense of work ethic, or hard work. Without hard work there is no success or even a sense of pride of achieving the most desireable of things in life. No college on earth is an easy, free ride. All colleges require some hard work in obtaining a degree in any field of study. With hard work comes perseverance, which is why it is a valuable aspect in attending any college. What makes hard work valuable is that it could help anyone accomplish his or her goals, overcome obstacles, and fulfill dreams. I personally have big dreams to become the best veterinarian in the world, and I know with dreams like that it is not going to be easy to fulfill without putting in a lot of hard work. I try to keep in mind the phrase "you get what you put out" when it comes to my academics and pursuing my dreams and goals. Little or no effert comes with no progress, but a lot of hard work and strong determination comes with great progress.

The diversity of the student body would be the best thing about Lamar. I say this because everything academically and financially is equal in distribution with no regards towards anyone's ethnic background. Also, when you apply for a competitive job, there is no worry of the employer ever having a steretypical thought about you going to a completely diverse school rather than going to an all black or white school. Although many professional careers are racially or sexually unequal, your school choice does not have to be.

The most frustrating thing about Lamar would be the parking. There is simply not enough parking for every student and faculty that drives to the campus. Even though faculty has their own designated parking lots, students are continuously taking up those parking lots as well as the designtaed parking lots for students forcing everyone to park where ever possible. Most students have received parking tickets for parking in undesignated areas (i.e. faculty, reserved, and handicapped) just to avoid being late to classes; while others have parked in areas far from their classes and walked long distances to those classes.

Krista

Lamar University is an excellent school for those interested in engineering. With all of the major plants nearby, it is in a great position to educate and produce the most talented engineers around.

I will walk away with so much more than a degree once graduated from Lamar University. There are so many diverse people and situations I have encountered while being here. Being so close to Louisiana, I have learned so much about Louisiana culture. From the food to the 'language', it was interesting to see how different things can be, even with a state in which you share a border with. I grew up in West Texas and it was actually quite a culture shock. Lamar University is also a big recruiter of international students. Sharing classes with these students really opened my eyes. I became curious about many of their customs and was able to learn about how or why they do certain things. From learning about their countries' ways, I was also able to learn more about my own. It helped me form my own opinions about our government in comparison to others, as well as my thoughts on American education and sometimes even health care. Being aware of many new things helped me form an appreciation for much of what I have recently taken for granted, and I can now thank Lamar University for that.

The most frustrating thing about Lamar University would have to be when required to cooperate with the campus book store. They rarely order enough books and sometimes they do not stock all of the teachers' requirements. But now, thanks to many various textbook websites, this is not too big of a problem.

Marissa

i have gotten knowlege that I did not possess before I had the privilge to come here.

Wish I would have known about the mutant bugs that inhabit this part of Texas. About two days ago, a huge mutant cockroach crawling up the door of my bathroom. i couldn't scream because my roommate is terrfiied of bugs but it was blocking the door. Suddenly the roach turns and looks back at me and growls or emmitted a masculine chirp and tried to attack me. It doggie jumped onto the toilet paper instead. After I finally killed the little mutant I was forced to throw the whole roll of toilet paper in the trash. What a waste.

Mosquetoes. Every time you stem out of a building, you are attacked by swarms of bloodthirsty pests. The worst thing is they do not respond to off or any other type of repellant and are attracted to sweat. When the school sprays, the mosquetoes just get worse and the only relief that a person has from them is the winter and spring, which in my opnion is too short for the simple fact that in Texas, the only type of weather that get here are HOT sweaty summers and wintery COLD snaps that merge into spring then back to summer.

Kaidi

Whether in my personal life or academic and professional career - I have chosen to put my best into everything. Striving for excellence during my college experience has often been challenging, but innumerable times this passion for the best has led to rewarding life experiences. It has helped me to get closer to my dream of having one day a rewarding career, not just a job. Different science classes, such as genetics, chemistry, modern biology and microbiology have not only satisfied my curiosity but made me want to be able one day to apply the knowledge I have gained to improve people?s lives. Because I am a nursing student and want to work in the medical field, I know there is still a long road ahead of me. Where exactly it will take me, I don?t know. What I do know is that I have chosen to enjoy it and be passionate about what I do.

andrea

Well, I am 21 years old and only a freshman at Lamar University and it feels like a lifetime. College has been, and continues to be, valuable to me in so many ways. I've learned that cramming does not help you pass a test, I've learned to take full advantage of professors? office hours, and I've learned to set at least 3 alarms in the morning, because you?ll be perpetually exhausted. Grab extra sleep whenever possible and have energy drinks handy. I am not as fortunate as most kids who have parents paying for anything and everything they need. I work hard for what I have, including school. College has taught me to set goals in life and is teaching me that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Although the student loan costs are overwhelming at times, I know it will make me a more well rounded individual and well worth it in the end. If anyone knows the value of a dollar, it?s me and I would be so grateful for a chance to win a scholarship, it would help me in more ways than you could imagine.

If I were back in high school and someone asked about my plans, I'd say that my first priority was to learn what the options were. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. What you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on stuff you like if you want to be good at what you do.

I brag mostly about the proffessors and atmosphere of the school. It is very clean and everyone is pretty friendly.

Kristin

My college experience has completely changed my life. Throughout high school, school was more of a chore than anything. I dreaded waking up early and facing the day which was presumably full of failure. I was uninterested in the material and was overly concerned with the drama that went hand in hand with my peers. I put little effort forth, in making my education beneficial for me. Once I started college in 2007 I realized that school was a natural talent of mine. Going to class and listening to lecture was the only factors necessary in acing an exam. I began feeling more confident and wanting nothing more than to develop my studies even further. Upon taking a variety of classes to find my calling, I took Abnormal Psychology. My professor was an absolute blessing. His teaching tactics made me realize that psychology as a profession was my purpose. I want nothing more than to use my knowledge and continue my education, in order to help individuals understand themselves and others. Going to college has allowed me to expand my horizons and throughout my journey I will continue to give back to those in need of a helping hand.

Carmenceta

I haven't attended yet.

I haven't attended yet.

The unique thing I've learned about my school just form open house is that it's a very open armed school. Everyone is welcoming and very helpful, which bulids up an atmoshpere you wouldn't want to leave. Lamar also offers a huge variety of extra activites to become involed in and the school wants its students to be very successful.

So far what I have stated as unique about my school because I haven't started my first day yet.

Rae

I received my Bachelor's Degree from Lamar, and I am currently working on my Doctorate Degree. College not only gives you the education you need to get a job, but it also prepares you for life situations. College teaches you how to deal with stress, how to teach yourself new topics, and how to deal with different kinds of people. Classes that enforce writing essays prepare for job opportunities and scholarship opportunities, like this one. My experience at Lamar has been completely remarkable. I have taken a variety of classes, from Sociology to Biology, and from Psychology to American Sign Language. I also met new people that I will continue to have relationships with forever. I am currently enrolled in Graduate School, and I am in classes with seven other people whom I have grown to love and appreciate. We come from different states and different backgrounds, but we clicked from the first day we met and have continued to get closer ever since. I will always remember my college experience, not only because it was necessary in order to get the job I want, but also because of the memories I have from it.

Lamar is a growing university. Every year it adds thousands of students to its rosters. I think the best thing about Lamar is its growing reputation. We are currently in the process of adding our football team back and the school spirit is already growing. Lamar's students are passionate about their school, and they continue to strive to improve the university. Numerous voluntary donations have helped remodel and add to the already beautiful campus. Students get a genuine college experience at Lamar.

The high school I came from was primarily white, and coming to Lamar was a culture shock to me. There are various ethnicities represented at Lamar, and each student I've met has a unique personality. I had to teach myself how to study once I got to college because high school does not prepare you enough for it. I also wish I would have known about more scholarship opportunities available to me, so that I would not have had to get student loans.

Chelsie

Graduating from high school was a great relief but once that was done, I was ready to start college. I have not yet started college but I did get to visit the school I have been accpeted to. The experience was phenomenal because not only is it a whole new stage in my life but the college is also almost 3,000 miles from home! My family have been supporting the idea of me following through with my dreams since I was in the sixth grade and now seven years later I want to show them why I chose to go into the field I am. Attending the college of my dreams is extremely valuable to me because I do not only want to make my family proud but I also want to make myself proud.

Kelly

Lamar University is a melting pot with students of various ethnicities and various levels of intelligence.

My college experience has given me not just an education, not just a future, but an improved sense of self. What I have gotten from attending college is the knowledge of who I am. I have learned that I am dedicated. I have learned that I am driven. I have learned that I am an achiever and gained respect for myself because I refuse to accept mediocrity. I have proven to myself and those around me that not every college student is preoccupied with hard licquer and promiscuity. I have learned to be positive, to have faith in humanity, and above all to have faith in myself. My experiences at Lamar University have taught me to look past physical differences

Someone who isn't prepared to learn.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.