Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Juan

Out of my personal college experience I have learned that there is nothing better in this life than education and that knowledge is key. In college, I have also learned to never take anything for granted because we only get few oppurtunities in life and we must chase our dream while we are still alive and breathing. If college was never shown to me, I would never have learned to dream big and provide a better future not only for my family and I but for the community around me. It has been very valuable to attend college because it has made me mature and become a better individual. Attending college has also taught me that everything in life is not easy and the easy goes as it comes, but the more of a struggle it is to achieve something the harder it will be for it to be taken away. Through community service and other projects by the organizations that are in the university, many doors can be opened for the world and those who need the extra push to succeed in life.

The worst thing about the school I am attending would be the dining hall because the hall is limited to certain hours. On the days of the finals most students stay up late , nine times out of ten the students are going to be very hungry after a long night of studying. The food in the dining hall could be better.

The most frustrating thing about my school would be new teachers that were hired and their lack of comitment as the students. A professor I recently had was new and she did not know how to teach the subject at hand very well. The professor was not really focused on the class but primarily herself.

Dottie

I have gotten many thing's from attending college. I have pride in myself for starting at my age. Respect from my family and my friend's. Knowlege that no one can ever take away from me. The exsperence of trying new thing's and meeting new people. The best thing is my self respect, I love the way I feel about myself, some thing I havent felt in along time. Learning and now knowing I am worthy of this education. You cant put a price on your education it is invaluable. I get to so my daughter's every day it is never to late to correct a life mistake. I have gotten so many thing's out of attending college, both educational and personal.

Ramonica

We are an upcoming university that keeps getting better every year.

We are an upcoming university that keeps getting better every year.

I have been learned that college is always what you make it. When I first came to Lamar I was really just rolling with the punches and did not really have a clear direction of what/where I wanted to go in life. Now a year or so later, I am working towards a degree I am sure is right for me. I have noticed that when you are on the right path learning is not forced; it comes naturally. Along with working towards my degree, I have noticed that faculty and staff at my school are really here to help. Although, it can be a little nerve-racking working up the courage to talk to them; when you do the rewards are endless. I know of professors helping line students up with jobs, finding scholarships, and some become great mentors.

I wish I had know how great I would actually enjoy this college, regardless of being raised in the same city. I let the fact that I was raised here interfere with my judgement , and I "learned the lesson" the hard way by choosing a different college at first.

I cannot begin to describe the amount of experience I have accumulated. After my acceptance in Manchester Community College I began to attend regular classes. During my third semester I began an internship at a local Youth Services Bureau. This opportunity strengthened my drive to become a Juvenile Corrections Officer. Once I was able to work with middle school aged to high school aged students, I knew that this population was one that I was interested in. I would not have been able to acqire this experience without attending college. A higher education in college has helped me see how independent I am. I firmly believe that choosing to go to college was a great decision. The experience and opportunities that have sprouted from my college career have made me a more confident and driven person.

Courtney

My school has a very well known nursing program but is incredibly competitive to get into.

Lamar is a good choice for me. It is 30 minutes from home and I can manage my course load and take care of my ill mother and younger brother while attending classes.

It is close to home and offer a great degree plan for my nutrition degree

Tiffany

I learned the value of friendship and hardwork. It wasn't until I could not pay to continue my education at the University of Miami (in Florida), that I realized how much attending and living on campus meant to me. It has been over 4 years since I had to leave UM and I regret that circumstance every single day. To the point that I even put off continuing my education in the hopes of returning to my heart's Alma Mater. But I realized that finishing my degree is better than saying I 'almost graduated' from UM., even if it takes me 5 years at a local community college and transferring to a local public university. In fact, the friends that I made down there have been the driving force behind me returning to school and enrolling at the local community college - even though they are 300+miles away. They understand that I will always be a 'Cane at heart, but sometimes life gets in the way and you just have to roll with what it throws in your path. That may be the most valuable lesson I learned at the University of Miami: Perserverence will prevail.

Lalauni

What I have gotten out of my college experience is a sense of work ethic, or hard work. Without hard work there is no success or even a sense of pride of achieving the most desireable of things in life. No college on earth is an easy, free ride. All colleges require some hard work in obtaining a degree in any field of study. With hard work comes perseverance, which is why it is a valuable aspect in attending any college. What makes hard work valuable is that it could help anyone accomplish his or her goals, overcome obstacles, and fulfill dreams. I personally have big dreams to become the best veterinarian in the world, and I know with dreams like that it is not going to be easy to fulfill without putting in a lot of hard work. I try to keep in mind the phrase "you get what you put out" when it comes to my academics and pursuing my dreams and goals. Little or no effert comes with no progress, but a lot of hard work and strong determination comes with great progress.

The diversity of the student body would be the best thing about Lamar. I say this because everything academically and financially is equal in distribution with no regards towards anyone's ethnic background. Also, when you apply for a competitive job, there is no worry of the employer ever having a steretypical thought about you going to a completely diverse school rather than going to an all black or white school. Although many professional careers are racially or sexually unequal, your school choice does not have to be.

The most frustrating thing about Lamar would be the parking. There is simply not enough parking for every student and faculty that drives to the campus. Even though faculty has their own designated parking lots, students are continuously taking up those parking lots as well as the designtaed parking lots for students forcing everyone to park where ever possible. Most students have received parking tickets for parking in undesignated areas (i.e. faculty, reserved, and handicapped) just to avoid being late to classes; while others have parked in areas far from their classes and walked long distances to those classes.

Krista

Lamar University is an excellent school for those interested in engineering. With all of the major plants nearby, it is in a great position to educate and produce the most talented engineers around.

I will walk away with so much more than a degree once graduated from Lamar University. There are so many diverse people and situations I have encountered while being here. Being so close to Louisiana, I have learned so much about Louisiana culture. From the food to the 'language', it was interesting to see how different things can be, even with a state in which you share a border with. I grew up in West Texas and it was actually quite a culture shock. Lamar University is also a big recruiter of international students. Sharing classes with these students really opened my eyes. I became curious about many of their customs and was able to learn about how or why they do certain things. From learning about their countries' ways, I was also able to learn more about my own. It helped me form my own opinions about our government in comparison to others, as well as my thoughts on American education and sometimes even health care. Being aware of many new things helped me form an appreciation for much of what I have recently taken for granted, and I can now thank Lamar University for that.

The most frustrating thing about Lamar University would have to be when required to cooperate with the campus book store. They rarely order enough books and sometimes they do not stock all of the teachers' requirements. But now, thanks to many various textbook websites, this is not too big of a problem.

Marissa

i have gotten knowlege that I did not possess before I had the privilge to come here.

Wish I would have known about the mutant bugs that inhabit this part of Texas. About two days ago, a huge mutant cockroach crawling up the door of my bathroom. i couldn't scream because my roommate is terrfiied of bugs but it was blocking the door. Suddenly the roach turns and looks back at me and growls or emmitted a masculine chirp and tried to attack me. It doggie jumped onto the toilet paper instead. After I finally killed the little mutant I was forced to throw the whole roll of toilet paper in the trash. What a waste.

Mosquetoes. Every time you stem out of a building, you are attacked by swarms of bloodthirsty pests. The worst thing is they do not respond to off or any other type of repellant and are attracted to sweat. When the school sprays, the mosquetoes just get worse and the only relief that a person has from them is the winter and spring, which in my opnion is too short for the simple fact that in Texas, the only type of weather that get here are HOT sweaty summers and wintery COLD snaps that merge into spring then back to summer.

Kaidi

Whether in my personal life or academic and professional career - I have chosen to put my best into everything. Striving for excellence during my college experience has often been challenging, but innumerable times this passion for the best has led to rewarding life experiences. It has helped me to get closer to my dream of having one day a rewarding career, not just a job. Different science classes, such as genetics, chemistry, modern biology and microbiology have not only satisfied my curiosity but made me want to be able one day to apply the knowledge I have gained to improve people?s lives. Because I am a nursing student and want to work in the medical field, I know there is still a long road ahead of me. Where exactly it will take me, I don?t know. What I do know is that I have chosen to enjoy it and be passionate about what I do.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.