Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Toryria

Lamar University is a melting pot and thriving school.

Lamar University is a melting pot and thriving school.

I found that Lamar University is a very one-on-one type of school. You can always find someone willing to help you from freshmans to administrators. Even though Lamar University is a small school, it has a wide variety of people with all different kinds of cultures. This school also lets the students express their religion. Also, as most Universities, this university provides the students to hold festivites on campus. When I looked into other schools I had heard that a lot of them were "party" schools. This university was not only close to home, but a GREAT choice.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself advice on the absolute importance of taking advantage of high school. I would stress the importance of getting involved! Get into everything possible, whether it is sports or an advanced placement class. I would tell myself to start early on applying to scholarships and to not be picky. I would also give advice on researching more on what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and start pursing outside of school. Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition to college, would have definately given me a boost to my life now.

I believe that I would have started out my college life more involved with school activities rather than social activities. Although knowing multiple people and having a sense of home is wonderful, having my career goals as set as they are now would have saved me a lot of time and decision making.

I enjoy how many opportunities there are to get help and assistance from trained, qualified people. There are multiple places to see the vast amounts of information you can get from culturally and economically different people through the student centers. This campus does not feel like a vast place full of unrecognizable people. It maintains a grounded sense with the many ways to get involved with the student body. I get a real sense that it is somewhere that I belong because of the small class sizes and willingness of fellow classmates to help you succeed.

People that are really trying to figure out what they want to spend their lives doing would make wonderful students. The teachers are more than willing to relate personal experiences with their jobs in order to give a true sense of what you will be doing in that profession. Clubs and organizations really take you to the heart of what your future plans will entail, and provide you with the leadership skills to succeed.

LaNitria

As a college freshman during the year 2009/2010 I have learned alot by being in this college enivronment. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to work harder to achieve a higher gpa. I did farely well in gpa, but I know if I had put my mind towards my work harder i could have achieved more. I would also tell myself to do my homework, because once college comes you can not say "I dont feel like doing this," and most of the time when you say "I will do it later," later never comes so it is better to do it as soon as possible and get it over with. I would tell myself to talk more because college life will have you conversating with people you have never seen, and it would be better to be used to conversation than be shy and not say much. Last but not least, the thing that seems most important that I would tell myself is to listen better in class when high school teachers give you information about how college life will be and take notes.

Kimberly

Lamar university is a fun, yet loving enviroment, many will learn and grow for the positive while attending this university.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school i would have a mouthful to tell myself. I would warn myself about not spending the money i made working and actually saving it for things other than clothes and going out with my friends. I would tell myself to lose the senioritis and actually apply myself to the best of my abilities. I would tell myself to lose my friends becasue they will get me off track and try to bring me down in the future. I would also tell myself that college is fun, but it also isn't easy. It is what i make it out to be.

Anyone could and should attend this university. It is a very open minded and liberal place. One will not be looked down upon or judged for any particaular reason.

Alicia

My school is the perfect size because everything is in walking distance, there are people of all ages, races, and economic backgrounds here, and you honestly learn stuff in class.

The students are so diverse and friendly, and there isn't as much competition like in high school because everyone is aiming for the same thing: graduating from college.

Dear Alicia, In a few months you'll drive onto Lamar University's campus and you will be overwhelmed with the feeling of accomplishment. You?ll walk into your dorm and you?ll have a glimpse of what freedom is. As your family says their goodbyes, you?ll be okay because you know that you?re going to see them again. Now, class is going to be something brand new to you. The class sizes will be bigger, but don?t be afraid to raise your hand and ask questions! If you ever see yourself not doing well in a class, use your professors? office hours. Beware of the boys, which, by the way, don?t like being called ?boys? any more. They?ll tell you anything you want to hear. Whatever you decide to do Alicia, don?t give up. Keep reach and keep trying and keep striving for me. The sky isn?t the limit because there are footprints on the moon. Love, Alicia

Mary

Our school is unique in that we have the main Lamar campus and the institute of Technology right across the street. It is a big enough school to have really nice things, but it is small enough that we have good personal relationships with our professors and the class gets to know each other throughout the semester.

I would definitely have taken the first two years of my high school career more seriously. I would have researched more schools at an earlier time period so that I would have been more knowledgeable. I would also tell myself that once you get into college, you can't let all the extra curricular and other activities distract you from your academic work. I would also say to enjoy your time in high school and college and live life to the fullest each day, because each day that you have an opportunity to be in a great high school or college is truly a great blessing that not everyone gets to enjoy.

The kind of person who should not attend this school is a person who does not intend to try to succeed, or a person who just wants to fool around. A person that is not interested in higher education or obtaining a legit degree should probably not attend this school.

Christalon

My preparation for higher education would have started in high school; I would have taken college bound courses. I would have read more, at least 20 minutes each day. I would be more attentive, focused and prepared for class. I would set goals and follow through. I would recognize my academic weaknesses and work to improve them. I would take advantage of all available resources to assist with study and time management skills to handle course load. I would participate in study groups so that I would expand on learning in other ways. I would effectively communicate with professors to get assistance on assignments that I don't understand. I would manage my finances and control my spending better. I would also apply for all available grants and scholarships before the deadlines to help to further my education.

A person that is focused and career minded. Someone who is willing to excel in their studies.

I was frustrated by the ants that were in the dorm.

Bonnie

It's a smaller campus and the classes are not always large. The professors are friendly and are willing to work with you if you need extra help with your class. The other studens are very friendly and it's not hard to make friends. The classes are fun and challenging. They're not to easy, but they're not to hard either. The best part, is that it's close to home.

I would tell myself to prepare by studying and doing well on the entrance exams to the universities I was applying to. I would also tell myself to study more to raise my high school GPA. I would remind myself to look and apply for as many scholarships and grants as I would be allowed, as it's important. I would tell myself to not be shy in asking for help if I needed it, that the professors and other students are very friendly and will help. Don't be afraid in talking to people, because they just might end up being your friend. I would stress the point to not wait a year and then go to college, because that will be the hardest thing to catch up on. Do the assignments the professors suggest you do, because it will help you remember the information and do easier on your exams. The classes may seem tough at first, but they're not as hard as they seem. The classes are fun, and the labs are too.

The only type of person who shouldn't attend this school, is a person who doesn't want to attend a school next to a plant. There's a plant across the highway, but that's easy to ignore. Other than that, no one should not attend this scool.

Nastacia

It has a great nursing and engineering program.

It has a great nursing and engineering program.

I would make sure and research majors, and the job market to make sure there is enough opportunity. I would spend less time partying and socializing and more time studying and networking.

The nursing and engineering program, people from around the world come for that.

Tressa

Be prepared for the homework schedule, don't freak out, stay calm and you will get thru it Friends come and go make wise decisions Stay active don't sit in your room all day Eat a balance meal don't over do it Have fun, school is not all about homework and class!

That people change when they enter a new environment and meeting new people has never been a good thing for me. I do miss my close friends alot.

There's nothing worst about this school. It's always improving.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.