Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

andrea

Well, I am 21 years old and only a freshman at Lamar University and it feels like a lifetime. College has been, and continues to be, valuable to me in so many ways. I've learned that cramming does not help you pass a test, I've learned to take full advantage of professors? office hours, and I've learned to set at least 3 alarms in the morning, because you?ll be perpetually exhausted. Grab extra sleep whenever possible and have energy drinks handy. I am not as fortunate as most kids who have parents paying for anything and everything they need. I work hard for what I have, including school. College has taught me to set goals in life and is teaching me that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Although the student loan costs are overwhelming at times, I know it will make me a more well rounded individual and well worth it in the end. If anyone knows the value of a dollar, it?s me and I would be so grateful for a chance to win a scholarship, it would help me in more ways than you could imagine.

If I were back in high school and someone asked about my plans, I'd say that my first priority was to learn what the options were. You don't need to be in a rush to choose your life's work. What you need to do is discover what you like. You have to work on stuff you like if you want to be good at what you do.

I brag mostly about the proffessors and atmosphere of the school. It is very clean and everyone is pretty friendly.

Kristin

My college experience has completely changed my life. Throughout high school, school was more of a chore than anything. I dreaded waking up early and facing the day which was presumably full of failure. I was uninterested in the material and was overly concerned with the drama that went hand in hand with my peers. I put little effort forth, in making my education beneficial for me. Once I started college in 2007 I realized that school was a natural talent of mine. Going to class and listening to lecture was the only factors necessary in acing an exam. I began feeling more confident and wanting nothing more than to develop my studies even further. Upon taking a variety of classes to find my calling, I took Abnormal Psychology. My professor was an absolute blessing. His teaching tactics made me realize that psychology as a profession was my purpose. I want nothing more than to use my knowledge and continue my education, in order to help individuals understand themselves and others. Going to college has allowed me to expand my horizons and throughout my journey I will continue to give back to those in need of a helping hand.

Carmenceta

I haven't attended yet.

I haven't attended yet.

The unique thing I've learned about my school just form open house is that it's a very open armed school. Everyone is welcoming and very helpful, which bulids up an atmoshpere you wouldn't want to leave. Lamar also offers a huge variety of extra activites to become involed in and the school wants its students to be very successful.

So far what I have stated as unique about my school because I haven't started my first day yet.

Rae

I received my Bachelor's Degree from Lamar, and I am currently working on my Doctorate Degree. College not only gives you the education you need to get a job, but it also prepares you for life situations. College teaches you how to deal with stress, how to teach yourself new topics, and how to deal with different kinds of people. Classes that enforce writing essays prepare for job opportunities and scholarship opportunities, like this one. My experience at Lamar has been completely remarkable. I have taken a variety of classes, from Sociology to Biology, and from Psychology to American Sign Language. I also met new people that I will continue to have relationships with forever. I am currently enrolled in Graduate School, and I am in classes with seven other people whom I have grown to love and appreciate. We come from different states and different backgrounds, but we clicked from the first day we met and have continued to get closer ever since. I will always remember my college experience, not only because it was necessary in order to get the job I want, but also because of the memories I have from it.

Lamar is a growing university. Every year it adds thousands of students to its rosters. I think the best thing about Lamar is its growing reputation. We are currently in the process of adding our football team back and the school spirit is already growing. Lamar's students are passionate about their school, and they continue to strive to improve the university. Numerous voluntary donations have helped remodel and add to the already beautiful campus. Students get a genuine college experience at Lamar.

The high school I came from was primarily white, and coming to Lamar was a culture shock to me. There are various ethnicities represented at Lamar, and each student I've met has a unique personality. I had to teach myself how to study once I got to college because high school does not prepare you enough for it. I also wish I would have known about more scholarship opportunities available to me, so that I would not have had to get student loans.

Chelsie

Graduating from high school was a great relief but once that was done, I was ready to start college. I have not yet started college but I did get to visit the school I have been accpeted to. The experience was phenomenal because not only is it a whole new stage in my life but the college is also almost 3,000 miles from home! My family have been supporting the idea of me following through with my dreams since I was in the sixth grade and now seven years later I want to show them why I chose to go into the field I am. Attending the college of my dreams is extremely valuable to me because I do not only want to make my family proud but I also want to make myself proud.

Kelly

Lamar University is a melting pot with students of various ethnicities and various levels of intelligence.

My college experience has given me not just an education, not just a future, but an improved sense of self. What I have gotten from attending college is the knowledge of who I am. I have learned that I am dedicated. I have learned that I am driven. I have learned that I am an achiever and gained respect for myself because I refuse to accept mediocrity. I have proven to myself and those around me that not every college student is preoccupied with hard licquer and promiscuity. I have learned to be positive, to have faith in humanity, and above all to have faith in myself. My experiences at Lamar University have taught me to look past physical differences

Someone who isn't prepared to learn.

Amber

If I could go back in time and talk to myself during my high school senior year, I would tell myself to remain strong, and determined. It's important to steer clear on your road to success, therfore, maintain a positve attitude about life, continue to appreciate all the wonderful blessings bestowed upon you, and always remember who you are and where you came from. In life you have to fall in odered to get, so never take anything for granted, and learn from all your mistakes. College is a priviledge, and shall be treated as such. It's a cold world out there so make sure you bundle up and keep your eye on the prize.

The one thing I hate about Lamar is the tuition. Tuition here is cheaper than most schools, however, it's still hard for me to pay it. In all honesty, I enjoy being here, I love the people. Lamar is my home away from home.

When attending Lamar University, you must be open-minded, out-going, and sociable. It's a very small campus and in order to meet people and branch out, you have to be able to communicate very well. You should also be culturally diverse. There are many different cultures/ races at Lamar, it it would really help in your studies if you have knowledege of them all.

Toryria

Lamar University is a melting pot and thriving school.

Lamar University is a melting pot and thriving school.

I found that Lamar University is a very one-on-one type of school. You can always find someone willing to help you from freshmans to administrators. Even though Lamar University is a small school, it has a wide variety of people with all different kinds of cultures. This school also lets the students express their religion. Also, as most Universities, this university provides the students to hold festivites on campus. When I looked into other schools I had heard that a lot of them were "party" schools. This university was not only close to home, but a GREAT choice.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself advice on the absolute importance of taking advantage of high school. I would stress the importance of getting involved! Get into everything possible, whether it is sports or an advanced placement class. I would tell myself to start early on applying to scholarships and to not be picky. I would also give advice on researching more on what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and start pursing outside of school. Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition to college, would have definately given me a boost to my life now.

I believe that I would have started out my college life more involved with school activities rather than social activities. Although knowing multiple people and having a sense of home is wonderful, having my career goals as set as they are now would have saved me a lot of time and decision making.

I enjoy how many opportunities there are to get help and assistance from trained, qualified people. There are multiple places to see the vast amounts of information you can get from culturally and economically different people through the student centers. This campus does not feel like a vast place full of unrecognizable people. It maintains a grounded sense with the many ways to get involved with the student body. I get a real sense that it is somewhere that I belong because of the small class sizes and willingness of fellow classmates to help you succeed.

People that are really trying to figure out what they want to spend their lives doing would make wonderful students. The teachers are more than willing to relate personal experiences with their jobs in order to give a true sense of what you will be doing in that profession. Clubs and organizations really take you to the heart of what your future plans will entail, and provide you with the leadership skills to succeed.

LaNitria

As a college freshman during the year 2009/2010 I have learned alot by being in this college enivronment. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to work harder to achieve a higher gpa. I did farely well in gpa, but I know if I had put my mind towards my work harder i could have achieved more. I would also tell myself to do my homework, because once college comes you can not say "I dont feel like doing this," and most of the time when you say "I will do it later," later never comes so it is better to do it as soon as possible and get it over with. I would tell myself to talk more because college life will have you conversating with people you have never seen, and it would be better to be used to conversation than be shy and not say much. Last but not least, the thing that seems most important that I would tell myself is to listen better in class when high school teachers give you information about how college life will be and take notes.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.