Beaumont, TX
Lamar University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lamar University

Meghan

Don't lose your passions in life because people want you to conform to their ideas of what life should be like. Don't let them tell you that your dreams are too big, that you aren't good enough, or that you can't succeed. Enjoy the little things in life and work hard to succeed at YOUR passion, not someone elses. Stop people pleasing and go for it! Life happens quickly, don't miss it by trying to be a "cool kid". The things that upset you now won't matter 5 years from now. You will still miss your best friend that just passed away, and it's okay to hurt. Don't hide from pain, instead grow within it. Wave your flag and be proud of who you are, but know you aren't perfect and can grow to become better. Smile more, cry less. You are beautiful, unique, and worthy of true joy.

That the school was so conservative. It's not as bad as it could be, but I wish it was more progressive in its ways. There aren't any plans in place for recycling or activism, which was surprising for a university campus.

I am a pretty liberal person, and our school is not involved politically enough. Students aren't active in learning about what's going on in the world. The small town mentality is strong here which is really disheartening.

Danielle

I would tell my high school self to salways stay focused and get involved in campus organizations. Getting invovled on campus helps you make friends with the same common goal and intrest as yourself. It also keeps you busy and will make transitioning from home to college life a little bit more easy.

I would say the thing i dislike about Lamar University is that if you dont have any form of transportation, then it will be hard for you to get around the city. There are no store and food places in walking distance of the campus. The city bus runs on a weird schedule so you cant really rely on them. So I would recommend that if you dont have a car of your own then make sure you get everything you need when family visits or if you have friends that has a car then they may help.

Something that I brag about is that I came to Lamar dreading taking any type of math class. But as the semester went along there was so many tutors avaialable to help in any area of study you may need help in. Their tutoring services are free and they are very friendly and patient with the students.

Austin

Lamar University is the best College around based on the tuiton / return on investment after graduation.

The best advice I could give any potential college student would be to get involved in campus activities and go to class. The course work may seem difficult at first, but once you set yourself on a schedule, it becomes much easier. Freedom is great, but remember that studies should come first.

The location of the campus in relation to restraunts and other entertainment venues.

robert

I would tell myself to take the sat more than twice.I would remind myself to not slack off in my senior year because IT DOES count just like every other high school year. I would study more and take classes more serious because in college there are no second chances and if you fail and flunk out of college you would have wasted so much money and got nothing out of it. I would work during my senior year and save up as much money as i can because books are really expensive and your scholarships will not always cover it. I would tell myself to be more organized too because if you are organized it helps you plan for test that are to come. I would also apply to any and all scholarships ahead of time so that way i wouldnt be rushing to do my fasfa and trying to get grants last minute

It is really boring around here. there is nothing to do. If you want to have fun you have to drive to port arthur or further out to have fun. Its really hard because you have work to do and you want to have fun but you cant because you dont know where anything is at.

Savannah

My classmates have always been friendly, helpful, and seemingly invested in their education at Lamar. I honestly have no complaints. When I was a freshman and on campus for the first day of classes, I got lost everywhere I went. Several people stopped me, noticing how distressed and confused I looked, and offered to give directions. One girl even walked me to two of my classes. I was BEYOND grateful.

Don't have your heart set on attending your "dream" college. Do some more research on each place you plan on applying to and be honest with yourself about whether you can REALLY afford it or not. Sometimes the school you like the least (Lamar University in Beaumont) ends up being your perfect match. So don't settle! Really take the time to find a fitting school for your life, and always stay in contact with Financial Aid. Get a job, save up some money, and get ALL of your Financial Aid paperwork done on time or early. Keep your head up and have fun! After all, a degree is still a degree no matter what school you get it from. Look to the future and reach for the stars! Take it slow, always ask for help, and refrain from getting wrapped up in what you assume is going to happen. You just might really have a great time :)

Before enrolling at Lamar, I wish I had known how much applying for Financial Aid would be a slow and sometimes frustrating process. I also wish I had been more financially prepared. I did not work the summer before I came to campus so I hadn't saved up any money. Now have learned my lesson. Always have a little bit of money before school starts and complete the Financial Aid paperwork early, and always stay updated.

Lasubah

Since it was my senior year, probaly shouldn't have slacked off the whole second semester just waiting for college. Should have gotten myself ready for campus live and studying traditions have have come in handy. Probaly aslo have gotten a job to help pay for expenses

A person with high enrgy and wants to work hard in their interactive classes and have fun at school.

Someone that does not want to be involved in student life and campus tradations.

Kelly

Lamar University is a small hometown college, that is well known for their engineering and nursing programs, that has a small greek life, plays in Division I sports and offers students a good education for an affordable price at a small campus where staff and faculty know the students very well and take great interest in them.

Lamar University is best known for being one of the top schools to receive a degree in engineering, based off of the low cost of attendance, the average salary of a graduate in that particular field, and the number of graduates who are able to obtain a job in their field. Lamar University is located in the gulf, where engineering jobs are readily available.

I would tell myself to decide on the learning atmosphere that I would best succeed in, and that I need to focus in on those schools to visit, not just choose where my family or friends think I should go. I would also tell myself how important it is to get involved early on, because towards the last few semesters of college I will be too busy with internships and academics to focus on being really involved in a student organization. The college experience is a great one, so choose the right school wisely and enjoy every single moment that I have. Take advantage of each and every opporunity that there is to learn.

freddy

Everything you do in life does come back to you. If you do good in life, life will reward you. If you do bad, life will come back and haunt you.

One thing I wish I knew before I went to that school is how small the town.

Antony

i would tell myself to not let the being off by yourself get to your head. I would also tell myself to keep working hard because there will be more work and you will need to manage your time wisely and not succumb to the opportunities to slack off and go to parties and have fun without getting your work done. And make sure you exhaust all options to get free money from scholarships and grants to help pay for the college expenses without getting loans that you will have to pay back over time. Because the more free money you are able to get from scholarships and grants will help a lot more than you think.

I wish i had known about how many scholarships out there because school expences were higher than i thought. And also its a lot of work but if you manage your time wisely it's not a big deal.

Lamar university has a good communications program, and you will meet a lot of interesting people that can help you along with your future.

Lila

Lamar University is a very well organized school with a great diverse group of people. I'm glad I came here and am getting my education. Despite the fact that some professors are not all that interested in the students, I truly appreciate the ones who have motivated me to be strong and keep going. The cost to attend here may have gone higher due to some construction and a low grade football team but it is still worth it to come here.

Hey Lila, I need to talk to you before you walk across the stage. Obviously I’m you from the future; let’s get that fact out of the way. Listen carefully to what I’m about to tell you: In the next few years of your life, words like book costs, due dates, and tuition will cause a migraine. You’ll have to cease being prideful; be humble and take criticism/advice from others. There’ll be times when you’d rather clean up your room than solve twenty algebra problems that each take 15 minutes to solve. Despite these cons, I’m here to tell you there are people who’ll help you to succeed; it has to start with you. You’re a strong and confident woman. You always bounce back and go into action when misfortunes happen instead of worrying. Remember, it's always ok to ask questions. Oh, about the cost of everything, here’s a secret; it’s better to be poor for the next four years than to be poor the rest of your life. Take a deep breath, relax and I’ll see you in a couple of years.

The kind of person who can afford it.

Lamar University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.