Lamar University

« See more reviews of Lamar University

My college experience has completely changed my life. Throughout high school, school was more of a chore than anything. I dreaded waking up early and facing the day which was presumably full of failure. I was uninterested in the material and was overly concerned with the drama that went hand in hand with my peers. I put little effort forth, in making my education beneficial for me. Once I started college in 2007 I realized that school was a natural talent of mine. Going to class and listening to lecture was the only factors necessary in acing an exam. I began feeling more confident and wanting nothing more than to develop my studies even further. Upon taking a variety of classes to find my calling, I took Abnormal Psychology. My professor was an absolute blessing. His teaching tactics made me realize that psychology as a profession was my purpose. I want nothing more than to use my knowledge and continue my education, in order to help individuals understand themselves and others. Going to college has allowed me to expand my horizons and throughout my journey I will continue to give back to those in need of a helping hand.

I received my Bachelor's Degree from Lamar, and I am currently working on my Doctorate Degree. College not only gives you the education you need to get a job, but it also prepares you for life situations. College teaches you how to deal with stress, how to teach yourself new topics, and how to deal with different kinds of people. Classes that enforce writing essays prepare for job opportunities and scholarship opportunities, like this one. My experience at Lamar has been completely remarkable. I have taken a variety of classes, from Sociology to Biology, and from Psychology to American Sign Language. I also met new people that I will continue to have relationships with forever. I am currently enrolled in Graduate School, and I am in classes with seven other people whom I have grown to love and appreciate. We come from different states and different backgrounds, but we clicked from the first day we met and have continued to get closer ever since. I will always remember my college experience, not only because it was necessary in order to get the job I want, but also because of the memories I have from it.

I will walk away with so much more than a degree once graduated from Lamar University. There are so many diverse people and situations I have encountered while being here. Being so close to Louisiana, I have learned so much about Louisiana culture. From the food to the 'language', it was interesting to see how different things can be, even with a state in which you share a border with. I grew up in West Texas and it was actually quite a culture shock. Lamar University is also a big recruiter of international students. Sharing classes with these students really opened my eyes. I became curious about many of their customs and was able to learn about how or why they do certain things. From learning about their countries' ways, I was also able to learn more about my own. It helped me form my own opinions about our government in comparison to others, as well as my thoughts on American education and sometimes even health care. Being aware of many new things helped me form an appreciation for much of what I have recently taken for granted, and I can now thank Lamar University for that.

Hey, Me! I'm going to be quick about this so listen up! As you are going to college this upcoming semester, keep in mind that signing up for classes can be a hassle if you're signing up late. If you sign up early and check for what textbooks you need online, then the semester will roll by smoothly. Saving money is also a big deal for college students so quit spoiling yourself and your friends! Think about bargains and sales when holidays and birthdays come up! Get a job to earn some extra money, but don?t exhaust yourself by working too hard. You'll find out that shopping for school supplies has a second meaning when you hear the word ?textbooks.? They don?t come cheap especially when compared to free books given in public schools. Another thing, train yourself to be able to push yourself, whether it's waking up early or making the time to study with or without friends. In other words, train yourself into being flexible. And one more thing, stop distracting yourself with boys! Though I can?t say much for myself at the moment, the time will come when love happens.

Firstly, I would check to make sure the students choice of a major is offered at the college in which they plan to attend. Not all majors are offered at all colleges. Also see what college offers the most financial aid or scholarship packages. This can be an important step if money is a problem. Though the choice of college shouldnt be solely based on just this it can really help to narrow down the choices. Parents check out the dorms and see if this is somewhere where you would want your student to stay and feel comfortable. Students and Parents make sure to take college tours of the final choices so you can see up close what the facilities look like and also interact with the staff to see if they are friendly and helpful. Ask questions!!!! Students do not be afraid they are their to help you out. And last but certainly not least make sure You Have FUN at whichever college you choose but dont forget the BOOKs must become your first priority! Get involved in organizations, make sure professors know your name, stay on top of your studies and you should be FINE!! =-]

I have different aspects on what to look for when choosing a college, as well as how to make the most of the college experience due to the fact that I not only have the role of a full-time student, I am also a wife and a mother. As a wife and mother I do advise the younger generation to choose education before family since both take so much of your time and effort, but I also encourage other mothers to go back to school, it is not too late. I have certainly worked hard on making the most of my college experience by joining clubs and study groups and making sure that I get what I am contributing so much of my time and money towards?an education. As a parent, I advise finding a college that has plenty of clubs and activities to keep the students involved and excited about their futures. Choosing the right social environment is important so that the student does not get into trouble and stray from their studies. Always remember that college is a choice, so one must take advantage of the time and money spent in order to be truly successful.

I learned the value of friendship and hardwork. It wasn't until I could not pay to continue my education at the University of Miami (in Florida), that I realized how much attending and living on campus meant to me. It has been over 4 years since I had to leave UM and I regret that circumstance every single day. To the point that I even put off continuing my education in the hopes of returning to my heart's Alma Mater. But I realized that finishing my degree is better than saying I 'almost graduated' from UM., even if it takes me 5 years at a local community college and transferring to a local public university. In fact, the friends that I made down there have been the driving force behind me returning to school and enrolling at the local community college - even though they are 300+miles away. They understand that I will always be a 'Cane at heart, but sometimes life gets in the way and you just have to roll with what it throws in your path. That may be the most valuable lesson I learned at the University of Miami: Perserverence will prevail.

Take many campus visits also over night ones, sit in classes, meet professors, talk to other people in different backgrounds and hear their school experiences, make sure its in a good town w/ good surroundings, If you can drive to school, you should gets you more familiar w/ the area and city. Make friends...thats a plus. Make sure the finicial aid office knows what there doing besides you have to go there at least 3 times a year. Make sure the food places are ok (Dining Hall) Because meal plans are required some times up until you are a Senior. The Dorms...find a college that offer nice dorms... The only problem is hopeing you have a good roommate UGH sucks right. And for parents Just encourage your childs decision making and don't force them to go to a school they don't wanna attend. They have to be there for 4 years and you don't so just let them make there own decicions besides thats apart of the beggining of college life. Also just be sure to keep a little money in there pockets and gas in there tanks thts my only advice.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to keep up the good work and that it does pay off. Since I constantly wondered whether or not all of the time in effort that I put into my classes and extra curricular activities was definitely worth it. I would remind myself that there should be no doubt about this because education and knowledge are priceless, and all things that are worth having are worth working hard for. I would also tell myself that although studying is important, but it is also important to make more friends and have some fun. Making friends and participating in college activities is helpful to the trasition from high school to college. If I could go back, I would remind myself to be thankful and take advantage of every positive opportunity that comes my way. One last thing that I believe would've have been beneficial for me to hear then is to never give up on dreams. It may not be an easy path, but since we only get one life it is important to live, laugh, and learn.

If I could go back in time as a high school senior, I must say it would be a great deal of fun. I would have done a few things differently in preparing for my college career. The first thing I would do is stay in my counselor's office; applying for every scholarship there was and finding out all I could on entrance exams. I would have demanded more guidance from my high school counseloris. The second peice of advice I would give is to visit as many colleges/universities as possible. It is good to venture out and experience new places, people and things in life. Finally, I would have joined more civic organizations which would hav led me to participate in many volunteer activities. Volunteerig is such an important part of life, and it helps you transition into the real world. You get to see what it's like to help others or do a job and not get paid; therefore you will have a better value on life. There are things that I would advise, and things that I would have wanted to know and for that reason I had to learn by experience.