Lamar University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lamar University

Daniela

Lamar University offers reasonably priced tuition and great programs. I appreciate all the free tutoring and study hours offered. I can not wait to receive a degree from such a great university. They offer many different programs as well. Overall Lamar is a wonderful school.

Laura

Teachers have been great, helpful, and fair! The most difficult aspect I've experienced with this school is their process and systems when trying to speak to someone, you're almost always directed to someone else who might also direct you to someone else. I spent over 13 days trying to get a situation fixed, most staff wasn't helpful and even rude. I did my undergrad and some other post Bach programs and don't remember having to deal with anything like this before to this point so it seems like Lamar has taken more of turn for the worse. I do remember their process being pretty lengthy. You have to go all over the campus to take care of one matter.

deundra

My overall opinion for Lamar University, it that the campus still holds my interest. I still like the college, and the teachers will help me pursue my goals that I set through for myself. The food is always on point and the food truck also has great food too. The student atmosphere is always on the rise, everyone getting active in something that is on campus. Everyone truly enjoys themselves, and I cam wait to be part of the alumni in the future.

So far, I've attended Lamar for a total of eleven weeks. Overall, Lamar University is a great school. The courses are manageable. If you find yourself struggling in a class, then you can visit your professor during his/her office hours, and if for some reason you can't they are willing to be flexible. One of my favorite things is Lamar offers free tutoring services if you find yourself struggling in a class. Food on campus is actually pretty good, and it's an upgrade from high school lunch. The cafeteria offers food that can accommodate just about any type of diet. However, the building that held our favorite dining places is currently being renovated to add a Panda Express and Chick-fil-A, but the University was able to find another way to accommodate our favorite food into food trucks. The last thing is campus life. The dorms are pretty spacious compared to the dorms I've seen at other colleges. You'll have a roommate who you'll share a common space and a bathroom with. The room is already furnished with couches, a table, a microwave, and a fridge. Your room has a pretty big closet, two dresses, a twin bed, a bedside table, and a desk. There are many activities to be involved with on campus. There is almost something to do every day, and there's usually free food involved as well. Lamar can accommodate just about any type of student, which is why their population is very diverse.

Nia

I think Lamar University is a great college. It is very diverse, and there is lots of on campus activities to do in your free time. I would say the food here is improving under new management.. The college is under construction, so walking to classes around the gates will be pretty hectic if you are running late to classes. Academic wise, Lamar University provides a vast amount of programs to help if struggling. There are plenty of resources Lamar University has a Barnes and Noble that Price matches; A Facebook Page called LU Book Swap, if you want to buy books directly from other undergraduates and graduate students. Program named STAARS tutoring in the library that has upperclassmen open to weekly appointment to have to specifically dedicate a hour to help in whatever classes signed up for. Remember to get active on campus and do community service in free time, it looks great on resumes! Lamar University provides over 150 organizations including many fraternities and sororities, so if you live on campus you have no excuse to sit in your dorm all day.

dumebi

I chose Lamar for the nursing program and I highly recommend especially if you are trying to enter the medical field for nursing. The nursing faculty is amazing and they we will help you achieve your goal of becoming a nurse. I really don't like the college life in Lamar, it's very boring and it is not exciting to live on campus.

Cyndy

It is amazing. It has an atmosphere where everyone can find something they like and feel comfortable. A Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, and Panda Express will be coming soon .I'm really happy that it is a small campus rather than bug because everything is just a walk away.

Madison

Lamar is generally very safe, though there are certain areas you should avoid, especially at night. Our food is decent but it's frustrating when the good food is really only served when tours come to campus. The classes are not too large or too small. You do have some auditorium classes in the beginning, but they shrink as you go on. The professors are pretty cool and are generally there when you need to talk with them. Even if they are not in their office, they will usually email you back quickly. Dorm life is pretty good! You and one other person share a dorm room but have separate bedrooms! Just make sure you go do laundry during off hours or else you'll be waiting for a while. I'd recommend going if you're very into the STEM fields. While we have other programs, Lamar focuses more on these majors.

Antronette

This campus is a good way for students to get involved with eachother. Plus, the professor always have an open hand if you need anything or if you need extra help with an assignment. Lamar university is diverse with campus life and extracurricular activities that is fun for anyone and everyone.

Darlene

Overall the campus is very lively. I haven't been on campus much besides for classes because I live off campus, but from what I seen everyone is very active in clubs and sports. It's really nice to see people come together doing what they love. They have lots of activities that students like to participate in.

Claudia

Overall it is good school and a well known school across to country in certain fields.

Breanna

It's the best school ever! So much to offer.

Deshay

It is a great school to attend! The school is very affordable to everyone! The staff are always available and ready to help! Since I've been at Lamar, I have been involved in multiple groups and organizations that encourage school involvement both academically and socially.

Jaedyn

The food is great, the rooms in the dorms are good- but maintenance needs to be done and they're rather old. Lamar is located in a bad neighborhood and a bad area of town but there's campus police. There's a ton of activities that go around on campus! We have sports events all the time. It's a great school, I just wish there weren't as many ghetto-don't-actually-care-about-school people.

Briana

At the beginning of my college experience, I was super excited to start being on my own and seeing what Lamar has to offer. I wouldn't be at many events, but if I went I would sometimes have fun; it all depended on what the event was. I was mostly excited to have my own room within the dorm. I had the mindset of a typical excited first generation college student. I even woke up ready for the first day of classes. Now that it is almost the end of fall semester, the excitement I had in August gradually decreased. I am still happy about the university, but in certain terms, I constantly got a bit annoyed. Let's start with housing. There were so many issues specifically at the hall I am currently in. The water would always take forever to turn hot whenever I get ready to take a shower, the electricity sometimes turns off whenever my roommate or I need it, and unexpected hall meetings. I am not throwing the RAs off of the bus, but I feel like we all should know about hall meetings at least a day in advance. Just getting unexpected information in general is not okay. I found out that my couch in the living area had bed bugs, and immediately told the front desk about it. A couple days later, I get a phone call during class that my roommate and I have to leave the dorm room before the afternoon so the exterminators can eliminate the bugs. Of course I was upset because they call me during class, and tell me that I have to move out of my room. With the little time I had, it was no way I can get all my necessities before the exterminators begin their job. Another one is closing the area of the student setzer center. I understand that the set is being remodeled, but all of us attending did not have time to find an alternative route to our classes because the workers just put up the fences in the middle of the week. I honestly believe that they would have been ordered to start fencing during the weekend, when we don't have any classes to go to at a specific time. I know that many of us was late to our classes because of this. Other than the two big problems I mentioned above, I have had an amazing time here at Lamar University. The community is diverse, respectful, and kind of family-oriented. I say "kind-of" in a good way. Many of the events are worth experiencing, the parties are so much better than high school parties, and I plan on staying spring semester.

Mia

Like any other university, college is what you make it. i choose lamar in regards to my major, so my experience will obviously be different from someone pursuing a engineering major. This school has a ton of reliable resources and help at each corner you turn. They also provide tons of ways to get involved on campus and make it super easy as well. My favorite thing about the campus is the dorms.

Lydia

I am a current student attending Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas. I have only attended there for one year, and I already like the campus a lot and almost consider it a second home. There are lots of different activities going on throughout the school year not only in the dorms but also stuff being put on by the school’s CAB, and the Greek Life there. During my first year, there were a lot of renovations and such that were happening to the school to make not only the students more comfortable but also to make the campus itself look a lot nicer. For instance, they have just opened the Setzer center not too long ago with now has three food choice options and tons of new and improved study rooms. There is also a Starbucks inside of the library which is amazing for those times you spend studying there. The Recreational Center also is perfect to let off some steam with constant fitness classes that are going on and an indoor pool. However, like every school even though Lamar has its ups, it also has its downs My biggest problem is with the dorms. Some of the dorms and the kitchens that are in the dorms are nice while others…not so much. Because of this, if I had to give Lamar a rating out of five stars, I would give them either 3.5 or 4 stars. There are things that Lamar needs to improve on however, there is also a lot that can make it better simply by you looking around campus and finding something to do.

Maria

I extremely love Lamar University I couldn’t pick a better university. No matter where you’re at Lamar you will always run into nice, caring people. Lamar is a great place to learn and I encourage anyone who is looking for a cheap, friendly and small college to attend Lamar, it’s open to everyone.

Trevion

I love Lamar and the size. Not too big, not too small and everything is easily accessible. The people here are great and if you are a freshman the upperclassmen are more than willing to help you get adjusted to the college life. I believe Lamar prepares students for success and along with that preparation comes a great support system.

Yoana

My overall opinion of Lamar University is that it is eye catching to students. As a recent visitor i can state that there is an excellence atmosphere of the campus. They teachers persuade students to reach for success, the colleagues help one another and the school sprite is over the top. As a future college student I would with no doubt apply to Lamar University.

Chance

I was originally skeptical of the overall quality held by Lamar University, but I have realized that Lamar University is truly an amazing campus. I love the community of friends and even student-professor relations. Students feel comfortable speaking with the professors, and likewise, professors are well prepared to provide adequate responses to most questions. Most students are also aware of the threats bullying poses on "college" or "adult" society and generally refrain from negative physical expression of opinion; therefore, the Lamar University campus invites an atmosphere of peace regardless of religious, racial, sexual, political, academic upbringing, or any other sort of differences among students. My last favorite aspect of Lamar University is the "improvement mindset." This starts from the base of the campus, the infrastructure, and extends through lectures and lessons taught by professors or elected professionals.

I think Lamar University is a nice school, however for me personally I really enjoy going to my Criminal Justice classes. The reason why is because the professors had experience within the field which makes it easier to talk to them and get some directions on what they could do. Not only that but the people on campus are pretty cool and laid back; they are easy to get along with. So far I can say that I am having a good time here at Lamar University and I think other students would agree too.

Isabelle

Lamar is a wonderful school. I love it! The people are kind and educated, the teachers are interactive and very enthusiastic in helping their students. I'm from the city, and I truly appreciate the fact that we have smaller classes and campus because we do get more one on one time with our professors. Nevertheless, I give Lamar a 100% thumbs up!!!

Brianna

Lamar University has plenty of potential. However, I do believe the location is what stops it from prospering into how much of a fantastic school it could become. The students are awesome, the professors are exceptional, but it could be so much better. As of right now I’m pleased with my college lifestyle, living off campus, and the classes I’m taking.

Kristal

Lamar University wasn't my first choice, but now that i am here I am extremely grateful. As a group, we are really involved on campus and now that I am here I am more active psychically and mentally. It is a great school all around, and I am proud to be a cardinal.

Corbin

Lamar University is a great university for any major you choose! It is a very clean campus and we just built a brand new student center! I encourage for you all to give Lamar University a tour you'll love it!

joshua

its a great school everybody there even your classmates want to see you succeed. it may be out there in nowhere but when you go to Lamar its like you have a second family. I highly recommend Lamar as your school they have a great sports program , academics programs are phenomenal, one of the best campus life after classes.

Alexis

I believe that if anyone is trying to go to a school with great communication with the counselors then Lamar would be the best because the counselors are only an email away. They respond within 2-3 days while other universities take weeks to reply. I love how the allow everyone is so welcoming and they tell you important information you would like to know.

Ashlynn

I love Lamar. Only thing I do not like about it is that we are not in the best part of town. I do not feel that safe at night unless I am in the dorm’s. I do not like having night classes because a lot of the light are not working. I all so do not like the big blue wall in the middle of campus. It makes it really head to get around to building to building. I love the American Sign Language program. It is one of the best in the country and it is growing to. The only thing I do not like about I, is that senses the program is growing so fast all the classes are overcrowded and Lamar puts us in small classrooms that we cannot see the signer in. In this program, you must be able to sign who is signing because American Sign Language is not a spoken language. For the most part I love living on campus but at night people do not honor the quit rule and when I go complaint they never really follow up on the complaints. Overall I love Lamar. I love all the friends I have made and people I have met. I have also learned to love Beaumont Texas. I kwon that it is not Austin but it is somewhere where I can call home. So, Lamar is a crazy place that does need improvement but it is home and I am pound to call myself a cardinal.

Marisa

The small size of Lamar is ideal for an academic focus, but there is still plenty to do to socialize. Some aspects of the school could be better primarily the food. The professors are really helpful and approachable if needed. One doesn't really feel out of place since there is many activities to do and lots of people to meet.

Aysia

I feel like this school is perfect as it is. I know that there are still some improvements on campus, being that we students are very reckless and obnoxious. The rooms are subsequently manageable and, if applied for the top suite, it can be with one other roommate.

Jeremiah

It is a good and cheap school to go to. If you stay to yourself and make good decisions your experience will be great. Its a pretty big campus and theres lots to do. This school has an amazing dinning hall with a good variety of food. I feel like overall this school is good.

Donnie

I think that Lamar University is an exceptional with many activity's on campus to keep you involved. Not only that campus is very beautiful with many things to see. There is also an abundance of food places on campus in which you can go eat with friends or by yourself. The people on campus are also very very friendly are always willing to help in case you need anything at all. Overall Lamar University is the place to be for people who like to see friendly faces and food places.

Rahul

Lamar University seems like a great place to go to school. It is very diverse and every seems so friendly. The Academics there are phenomenal and they have a 97.5 job placement rate for engineers which is what i plan to do when i attend. The professors seems to really care about the students which is a really great thing to have at a college.

Andrea

Lamar isn't a bad school, and they do have safety features. My biggest concern is the academics are way too easy, at least for me, so if you want something challenging, either go to honors college at Lamar or a different college. I don't have experience with the on-campus dining, but I've heard it's alright.

Maria

Lamar University is a fantastic school. I absolutely recommend this university to upcoming college students. Lamar is a great experience and the staff is amazing, patient, and driven to help your future be successful. "We're all in this together", from High School Musical movie.

Autumn

In my opinion, Lamar University is a nice univeristy. I loved it the minute I stepped on campus as a Freshman in 2017. It has a variety of different organizations you're able to get involved with and there is always something to do. Never a dull moment!

Victoria

While Lamar University is not originally where I set out to be, the professors at Lamar have been amazing. In the online criminal justice program, all professors set clear expectations and are accessible to students at pretty much any time throughout the day. The instructional associates affiliated with online classes are very polite, offer great feedback and review, and are open to questions from students at any time. The online program has been incredible.

Letha

Lamar is a very comfortable school to attend. I am well pleased of my educational experience there considering I am now a senior there. I would and have recommended others to attend. The leisure time is also comfortable, the professors are very interacting and will ensure that you do what is neccessary to graduate.

Tommy

Lamar University is known for its engineering fields of study. I am a current student enrolled for the Fall 2018 year and I am very pleased with the university so far. They are very welcoming and it does not stray too far from home. In a way it is home not away from home. It is very cozy and I feel comfortable on campus knowing that I am close to my roots.

Abigail

Lamar is an awesome university. There is lots of diversity and many things to do on campus. Whether you're into sports or mainly focus on classes there are groups for everyone. There are lots of Greek clubs. Our rec center is probably my favorite part of the campus.

Shelbie

I have really enjoyed being a student at Lamar University. I am a full time teacher and have returned to school online to obtain my Med in education. Their online courses offer a great deal of resources and accessibility for all learners. The professors are easy to contact and receive responses from. The blackboard online school system is easy to navigate and user friendly.

Dynasti

They have an excellent dance program that is growing as we speak. There is Aerial arts, Hip hop, Ballet, Contemporary, Choreography, tap, ballroom, jazz,and modern. Travis Prokop is AMAZING. His creative mind is so interesting to work with. Being in his pieces is an experience like no other.

krinza

Lamar university is a great school. There's plenty of opportunities for each student. The campus is not too big nor too small. The class size is average so the professors could focus on each student. The nursing and engineering school is ranked one of the highest. I'm glad I'm obtaining my bachelors at Lamar University.

Amber

Besides to high cost of tuition per semester, I am very pleased with my experience at Lamar University. The food on campus is wonderful, plenty of involvement in campus issues, professors are more than available to help you, and the location is great.

Bryant

Lamar University, as a whole, is a good school. There are a variety of majors that students can choose to be in. Educationally, I am very satisfied. The professors are very flexible and are always encouraging students to visit their office if they need help with anything. If you are struggling there are tutoring centers that can help you steer in the right direction and maintain a strong connection to the subject that you need assistance with. Because of the tutoring center, I have received nothing but A's (some occasional B's). The campus is neat as well, a couple of months from now we'll have a Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, and a Panda Express very near or on campus. Everything here either walks, ride their longboards, or if you have access to a vehicle, you can drive to your classes. Also, everyone here at Lamar is very friendly, so there's no harm in approaching someone if you have a question about something. As for sports, Lamar is heavy in Football, Volleyball, Baseball, and Women's soccer. There is other sports in the recreational center like: indoor soccer, basketball, etc.

Thomas

Very accommodating to distance learners, classes are challenging, but not overly, and professors are helpful and teach well. I'm currently in my senior year of an Industrial Technology BS. Every professor has been great, except for one that I had a little trouble understanding her English and her YouTube videos didn't fully explain the material. Overall, a great experience and would recommend to any student looking to get a good education without breaking the bank.

Darren

Lamar University doesn’t make it hard for students. They help you every step of the way and to get you on the right track. Lamar is so affordable and great in general. Campus housing, Academics, Opportunities, Students are helpful and kind everything is good. It’s a great school and i hope Lamar keep progressing through the years go by.

Frances

Lamar University is a great place to study on and off campus. They value education and really care about each and every students attending the school, and make the students needs a priority. Everything about Lamar University is bound to encourage every students to be successful and really put effort into studies, school activities, and community involvement.

Brooke

I think lamar is a good campus, it could be better by more parking, places to eat, and more student activities on campus. I live off campus and rarely ever see anything going on there that is fun. I think Lamar's campus has a greater amount of adult students and are boring.