Lamar University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lamar University

Brooke

I think lamar is a good campus, it could be better by more parking, places to eat, and more student activities on campus. I live off campus and rarely ever see anything going on there that is fun. I think Lamar's campus has a greater amount of adult students and are boring.

Precious

I honestly, don't like it at Lamar University, the professors take too much time off, and look like they don't care about are success by the lack of the teaching. Some of teachers don't even post grades online, I have to constantly email them asking for my grades.They barely have anything good to eat in the dinning hall especially on the weekends, forcing me to spend the little money I have to go eat somewhere else.

Jordan

Lamar University as a whole is a fantastic college. Their tuition is a little high for most of the students' liking, but it's worth the neatness and college culture that is here. The professors are really accessible, the campus outside of class is gorgeous, and the library is HUGE. There are plenty of places that students can go to study in peace, but the Setzer Center is fantastic, too. It has an upstairs study lounge with downstairs for restaurants like Chick-Fil-A and Jason's Deli. The classes themselves are very knowledgeable, and the professors actually make us learn the material.

Abby

Lamar University is a beautiful campus with helpful and almost always available professors. In my time that I have been in attendance at Lamar, the only real issue I have encountered has been with the cashier department when it comes to making payments toward school there always seems to be a technical issue.

It's a great school with good solid professors. Most of the professors are available when you email them. If you do the work and go to class you'll do fine here. There are accurate descriptions of each professor on rate my professor, which is how I pick my classes and etc. I enjoying going to school here and it's not too expensive. Class sizes tend to be small, minus the basic courses. Most people commute so food on campus is not amazing on the weekends. We also just got a Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, and a Jason's Deli, however, they close on the weekends and no breakfast. ​

Courtlyn

Overall, I was actually extremely surprised by how thorough the professors are and how they genuinely enjoy teaching. I enjoy attending lectures and the discussions actually make me excited to read the textbooks, which is something that didn't happen in undergrad. I encourage everyone who is looking into attending grad school to check out Lamar as a contender. The small class sizes really won me over, and have allowed me to have a great relationship with my professors and classmates.

Lamar may not be attractive due to its location, but is a pretty amazing school. The fact that there isn't much to do near the school, there are always things to (if you don't have a car, if you have a car you can do whatever you want.) The standards here are pretty high, so if you plan to play, make sure you plan to work harder.

Brinley

Lamar is a great place to attend college if you’re looking for an engineering or nursing major. If not, there nothing really for you there except sports. Lamar recruits inside the SETX area, so if you do not introduce yourself to them, they probably do not know who you are. Although these things sound like I am being harsh, it is mostly the truth. Everyone from the SETX region goes to Lamar, so if you’re looking to get out of the mindset and teachings of be a said- Christian but do every action that points to being not a Christian (underage drinking, drugs, pre-martial sex, etc), or being consumed by world standards about trying to be the richest around, then Lamar is not the place for you. However, if that doesn’t bother you and you want to major in nursing or engineering, this school actually would be very helpful and amazing for you. Ignore what I said about the mindset, it is very easy to escape that. Lamar does have a very unique and different culture about themselves. Although a big, NCAA Division I school, when you go there, it does not feel that way at all. Some schools are too big and wear their NCAA Divison I as the only reason for attending school there or the only part of school invested in, not academics as it should be. Lamar’s culture, like I said Divison I, puts academics first however, especially for nursing and engineering. The programs for those majors are nationally ranked.

Javion

I really like my school a lot. It is a very friendly campus and the students are really like family. The dorms are really nice. The professors really care about you and there is always something some type of activity going on on campus. It's like home away from home.

Alexis

Lamar is a very diverse university! The campus is gorgeous and well kept and it is just big enough for you to feel like you're at a big-time university. The professors work very well with you and your schedule and take time to listen to your concerns. Our Greek Life is very involved but we are dwindling in numbers because students have lost interest. One thing Lamar University doesn't handle well is racism. There have been many incidences where the black and other POC populations have felt like Lamar was not on their side. All and all if you want a homey feel in a university with friendly faces Lamar University is the place for you

Md Mozadded

Lamar University is one of the fastest growing universities in Texas. The campus size is very small. Very small populations. However, it has a very good opportunity for those who want to develop themselves. Anyway, this university needs to create more research opportunity and more organizations on intellectual discussions.

Kendalyn

Lamar University is a beautiful campus. It is quite diverse and very welcoming. Lamar feels like home away from home and the people there are very generous. The class sizes are fairly well compared to other schools. The food is exceptional. The sports teams are wonderful and many people support their Cardinals with pride.

When I arrived for my first visit for the "Cardinal Saturday", I got a feel of a welcoming and new home. All of the staff members, current students, and professors had very welcoming arms, positive attitudes, uplifting spirits, and I just loved it all. As I continued to look around the campus, everything was nice and up to date with a safe feeling. What interests me the most had to be that the way their dorm rooms are... they give each individual student their own private bedroom with a shared bathroom & living room.

Maysen

Lamar is a great place to go if you still live at home. They offer plenty of majors and the professors are excellent too. The facilities are lackluster and reflect the industrial work area that the school is haphazardly placed in. Overall, I would not go walking by myself on this campus at night. However, the programs are second to none, and you will get the most out of this school for your major.

Darryl

I really like this campus. The Professors are always approachable and helpful. I have been there for four years and have had a very good experience there. The Administration has always been extremely helpful and follow up with you. The Counselors and Financial Aid personnel are very good.

Abigayle

Lamar University is extremely diverse in culture and race and I think that is my favorite part of about the campus. There is a variety of people in each friend group and you can easily learn something new from the person right next to you. Campus is not that large so it is very easy to find your class and the facilities you want to get to.

Joshua

I have not started yet. I begin in the fall, and looking forward to it

kaitlyn

I really enjoy being at school. At first I was scared and didn't know if I was gonna like it, but I like being away from home and on my own. The students and staff are friendly and helpful. the housing is what really drew me to the school. Me and my roommate get our own rooms but I'm still social. So far I really like the school and I can't wait to go back.

James

I personally believe that Lamar University is the best college to go to for anyone living in Beaumont, or anywhere nearby. It does not require you to have the very nice on campus housing, because if you live nearby, you can just walk or drive to the campus and return home after classes are finished. The college also offers an excellent engineering program at the nearby Technology center. They are mostly known for the excellent engineering program with a large diversity of majors.

Evelyn

When I went to visit Lamar University, I fell in love with the campus. I liked how there was a lot of nature around the buildings, and the buildings were not that far away. My favorite building was the Student Center that had rock climbing, a gym, and other activities. The tour guide was super friendly, and every Lamar student we passed by, greeted me as if i belonged there. The campus, students, and staff made me feel like the campus could be my home. Lamar University is my top choice college and hope to get accepted there.

Dioncia

Lamar University offers flexibility in student, professor, and majors it is also closesto the coast so if you want to go to the beach you can.Lamar university is a medium-size college which means that the professors have time to connect with the students they are also strong on supporting each other so there are communities that have students just like you that are willing to help you out with school work and towards your degree.

Joel

Lamar University is located in Beaumont, Texas. Beaumont is a refinery town where there is a lot of chemical plants. The smell from plants sometimes fills the are which can make it non pleasant. I truly believe Lamar is a good school, the academics are pretty good, the people are approachable. However I live very close to Lamar and I have always craved the feeling of getting to move off and experience something new. When I pictured college, I wanted myself to feel at home away from home. I cannot express how many great experiences Lamar has taught me, I have met some incredible people but I think Lamar isn't for me.

Richelle

Great campus life and wonderful learning environment!

Rodrigo

Lamar University is an amazing college because it offers a lot of major and minors that apply to most of the students who are interested in going here. they have a lot of extracurriculars that will have most intrigued. It is a school that is well and you should go study there.

Arielle

Lamar University is a very involved, energetic, and encouraging university. It encompasses a safe atmosphere in many different areas from having conversations to navigating the campus. The college provides plenty of positive opportunities and experiences and is definitely one of my top recommendations.

Ryanna

It’s a really good and open campus. It’s got tin of resources for students and is filled with nice people and staff members. You have the opportunity to join extracurriculars like band and become part of a community and you can also find support or study groups. Overall it’s a great campus.

elysia

I love Lamar so much! It’s very friendly and all the staff is so nice. The dorms are perfect. We get our own bedroom. We do not have to have community showers. It’s just you and your roommates who use the one in your dorms. The campus is beautiful! I recommend Lamar to everyone

Wendy

I am so excited to continue my education at Lamar University! I have not yet attended Lamar but I will soon this Fall. I plan to make it my home and continue to go all my four years of college.

Dasia

My overall opinion on Lamar is its very interesting for a small university and it’s great for those who like smaller sceneries. The people are very friendly and it’s very easy to make friends . Food is also good and all other facilities. Overall im satisfied as a freshman .

Johnette

It’s a good school overall. I take mostly online classes and have found the professors to be pretty helpful. I currently take a class for 5 weeks, get one week off then start my next class. This is the best way I have found to get my Master’s degree while I teach special education full time.

Nancy

Its great school to get your life back in track.

Lamar University is a diverse college with multiple groups so there is room for everyone to fit in. The food is amazing and they have choices of good food places inside the campus. Overall Lamar is a great college ! I would encourage everyone to attend!

Lucia

I think its a great university with a lot of opportunities that aids students in any way possible and has an affordable tuition. One thing I enjoy is how involved they are in sport s and the amount of fraternities there to join. There are opportunities for anyone that seeks them!

Lindsey

Though locals scoff at the thought of attending Lamar University (which is a heavy commuter school), Lamar truly is a quality institution with a big focus on academics and the well-being of students. Safety is a big selling point for parents of soon-to-be college students, so don't let talk about Beaumont scare you; while the city itself may not be the safest, Lamar's campus is incredibly safe with a heavy presence of police officers and additional security officers. The campus is well-lit and small, so you are never more than a 15-minute walk from the building you need to reach. With safety at its forefront, the Lamar University Police Department works diligently to keep the campus and the surrounding neighborhoods safe for students and citizens. They are available at all times of day and night and employ a large number of Campus Security Officers to keep a watchful eye on every corner of campus. As far as academics go, Lamar is at the forefront of many of its academic programs. It excels greatly in its nursing, engineering, business, and education programs, and it is a rising star in programs such as dietetics, political science, and criminal justice. The small student-to-teacher ratio means you will most likely form a good relationship with your professors and classmates. Professors are almost always available when you need help, and the departments are incredibly supportive of their students. Lamar also awards a large amount of scholarship money each semester, so be sure to fill out the general scholarship application! Lamar truly cares about its students' success, and it is very evident still as an alumnus when I receive personalized congratulatory emails about my professional and personal accomplishments.

Jaden

I am was a recent visitor to this college. I am a senior in high school, and I was exploring where to call home for the next 4 years of my life. I wanted something mainly for my major, great- home feeling campus, and reasonable class size. The moment I stepped onto the Cardinal campus changed my life. Everything from the warm welcoming, to expressing my concerns to professors and them comforting me was very reassuring. The moment I stepped onto this campus, it felt like home, it's almost as if it's impossible to explain the feeling.