Langston, OK
Langston University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Langston University

Chanel

It is a Historically Black University, although it is very diverse with faculty and students.

I would tell my high school self to stay focused and that college is not like high school. I would tell myself how important time management is and how crucial it is to effectivly study. Express to myself that talking to my professors is important so they can know who i am and that i am serious about the class and i want to pass. If I ever needed help with anything get help, weather it is borrowing a classmates notes, getting a tutor, even talking to my advisor or teacher about a problem. I would let myself know to stay on top of financial aid, make sure I have all the documents for them. I would say how important it is to follow my plan of study so I could graduate in my planned timeframe. Lastly I would say it is ok to go to parties as long as I finished all studying and homework and LISTEN to my parents! Their advice helps too and they are not just telling me what to do.

To have all my finacial information together.

Chantel

Langston University is unique to me because we get a chance to learn about our history and how our school became a university. On the one-year anniversary of Oklahoma statehood, April 22, 1890, Langston City was officially established. Promoted by its founders, one of whom was prominent African American Edwin P. McCabe, who was influential in the selection of the site of Langston University, the city of Langston had a population of 600 and had 25 retail businesses by 1892, the year in which a common school was built and opened with an enrollment of 135.

If I could go back in time I would have been more into my books and less social. I would most definitely get myself mentally prepared because the transition from high school to college is a big step and your basically a young aduly on your own! I would have also saved up my money because college isn't cheap but at the end it all worth.

The only thing I find frustrating is that we have no where to go grocery shopping on campus for the ones like me who doesn't have a car.

Ernie

We are very friendly and fun and love to help each other.

We are very friendly and fun and love to help each other.

I absolutely love Anna Maria College. My experience there is what I want most in life, and I know that my life has been what it should be. If I could redo my life before I got to college, though, I would have worked much harder to find a job that would interest me and help me to earn money to pay for my experience. It is worth each and every penny, but it is certainly a challenge to come up with enough money each semester to pay. There is nothing else that I would think of changing. I went in knowing that I would love being there and I truly do. I love people and have made the best friendships there that will last forever. And, I got so involved; too involved really, but it is a wonderful thing. To anyone considering Anna Maria, please come to campus and meet us. It is so beautiful! You will love it! Ask for help and guidance if you need it, especially financially, and get involved as soon as you can. This will change your life for the better.

It costs a lot of money. For the experience, it all worth it, but it is challenging at times. Go for it, though!

Latisha

I would tell myself back in high school to try harder on my ACT/SAT test and to not worry about the classes I take as much as I did because if I would have took some other classes my GPA wouldn't have been average. I also would've told myself to research on scholarships more because college is extremely expensive. Just overall tell myself to try harder then what I did because i did give up on some things.

Evann

Don't get caught up in the parties because you'll just end up spending thousands of dollars to fail. College is too expensive to be dicking around. Treat school like a job, everyday, nine to five. Go hard and it will pay off.

I wish I would've known how to manuever around the system, I would've felt better about being there. If I would've known that I couldn't get anything done until I started cursing people out, I would've stayed home. If I would've known that the school was going to screw me financially, I would've stayed in state. If I would've known that there was going to be more negative things to say about this school than positive, then I would've stayed home.

The lack of efficiency in all aspects. The financial aide office acts like they don't know anything, admissions loses paper work, the housing isn't worth what we're being charged. Just about anything service related comes with a hassle. We're already in the middle of nowhere, the least they could do is help the students who are actually trying. That's another thing, students who are academically handling their business, suffer the most. And this school is going to lose out on some excellent students if they continue down this road.

Amber

I have to describe them as a Bowl of Gumbo!

I have to describe them as a Bowl of Gumbo!

Dear Past Amber, First things first, everything is going to be just fine! I just want to remind you that there is more than one way to cook a duck. The same thing goes for our education! Take full advantage of all the avenues available to learning. Enjoy that first year on campus. Get comfortable with the lay of the land. After that, move off campus and take the money you save and put it towards studying abroad. The trip you take to the Dominican Republic will be unbelievably life changing! You can add to our memories, life experiences and education if you also go to Africa and Malaysia. College is NOT a stepping stone! It is part of the foundation for the rest of our life. So don't go to every party, but do take time for every conversation. Ask every question! And when you meet that shy guy named Chris that you think is amazing, let him know! He feels the same way about you. Seize EVERYDAY! Love, The Older and Wiser one.

I consider the ability to study outside of the US to be the best thing about my school. Not only do you get to learn and enjoy another culture, you also get to show prospective employers that you can handle many different situations.

Jasmine

the majority of my classmates are of the same race and age that i am.

the majority of my classmates are of the same race and age that i am.

During the first semester of college I was more outspoken and I was open to meeting new people. Although I had no other choice but to meet people pi became established of my surrounding very fast. I have been put into situations of peer pressure and been able to resist those curtain temptations. I have been honored to attend Langston University, as Oklahoma only historically black college and making a mark on the community as well as my future and the other who are to follow in my foot steps.

The best thing about my school is that it is a family. I like the environment of seclusion and togetherness that we share as a campus. I felt a warm welcome from the students and faculty as soon as I stepped on the campus during freshmen orientation.

Deepa

I attended University of California, Riverside and got a BS in Biology and now I am attending Cypress community college to get an R.N. degree. I have learned and gained so much from my college experience. I have learned that there is no such thing as a hard or easy class, it all depends on the way you study for that class. Thinking this way has helped me in my life, situations are controlled based on how you deal with them. I have also gained tremendous respect for elderly people who return to school, just to gain the knowledge. The biggest thing I learned is time management; In the nursing program if your not keeping up with the schedule of readings and skills, you really fall behind and its hard to catch up. So managing life with school is essential in completing the program. The value of attending college is uncomparable because it helps people grow and shape peoples thoughts. There is so much variety in our colleges, we have people from different ages, races, and ethnicity. I have learned about the different cultures by attending college which will he handy no matter what profession I get into.

Candance

I've only had limited college experience and that was while attending Hiigh School. I feel that it's very valuable now because I have a daughter that depends on me to make sure that all her needs are met. Its valuable for me to attend school to provide a better life for not only my daughter and myself but to assist my family, which consist of two disabled parents that are currently providing for my sister, cousin, myself and daughter. A college degree will be able to help me get my foot in the door to make a better life for us. With me winning this scholarship it would be of great value to me, it would help me accomplish my goal of the first in my family to recieve a degree. I've over come some difficult situations with being shot at the age of nineteen and alomost losing my life and a car accident a short while after my twenty-first birthday. I have let the shooting hold me back from life and I can no longer continue to live in a shell. Its time I do something that will benifit me forever and always.

Hillary

I graduated high school in May of 2010. Fortunatly, I received what the state of West Virginia calls the PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP. This was a blessing becasue I knew my mother did not have the means to pay for my college education. Unfortunatly, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer right after I graduated. This was devastating news to my siblings and I. Our mother is the sole supporter of this family, so we were all very worried. Due to my mothers illness, I took a year off from college so that I could save up money in order to pay for my future education. I now support myself as a full time babysitter for two households. This is a very tedious job, but I am so thankful for it because it has allowed me to realize just how important a collge education is. I do not want to babysit the rest of my life. My dream is to go to college and become a Registered Nurse. This goal would be unfeasable without a collge degree.

Langston University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.