Lansing, MI
Lansing Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lansing Community College

Victoria

This upcoming semester is my last semester attending. I am not super experienced in the campus, but I am more than most. I'll start with the bad here. I don't intentionally mean to be judgmental, but a good portion of the student body is involved with the recreational use of marijuana. Out of the dozens of students I've met, I can only count a few who aren't involved. The atmosphere doesn't promote making friends. This is a community college. People here tend to have their nose to the grindstone and want to get out of college as soon as they can. The majority of students here are working students. It's not uncommon to run into someone like me that works full time and attends school full time. Scheduling can be difficult sometimes because there are instances where different departments aren't completely organized. With this last semester alone, they have already changed the information and scheduling of one of my classes at least two times. Sometimes they continue to offer specific courses, even though those courses are regularly canceled when offered. I had a class that I needed to graduate because of my major (that was only offered one semester out of the year) that got cancelled. I had to get in contact with an adviser, who ended up waiving the course for me. On the good side, the help that the college provides through the library, tutors, labs, counselling, advisers, etc. is tremendous. THE PROFESSORS HERE TRULY CARE ABOUT YOU AS A STUDENT. They don't want your money, they want your success. The class sizes are small and all of my professors know me by name. On first day of courses everyone is willing to help you find your class. On the last day, all the professors let you know that even though you are no longer there student, that they are always there for you if you need help. LCC promotes a lot of healthy and good habits, they even provide free food durings finals weeks in the library and in the commons. Even though I haven't made a lot of friends here, the is truly a college that cares for it's students. I do not regret my choice coming here, I think it has helped much in the end as I prepare to transfer on.

My overall opinion of Lansing Community College is that there are many things students can do around here, you just have to look into it. Sometimes the professors will hand us out flyers to inform us of some extra activities and try to get the students involved with each other inside and outside of class room. It's a small college campus and easy to get around, but the parking around here isn't the best.

Alex

I think that LCC is a good school, however it's hard to meet new people here. I think that this is a college that many people choose to go to later on if they passed up on college after high school (not that this is bad) There is a wide variety of ages and so it seems that on the social level LCC is lacking a bit. The teachers have been fairly good to me so far, only had one that I wouldn't say was to my liking.

Grace

Really like Lansing Community College. Great place before heading off to a University. The class sizes are great and the teachers are always there to help you with anything you need. As long as you stay on top of your work the assignments should not be too difficult.

Great community college, better than most

Great community college, better than most

It's a really great college! Truth be told, it's not here to impress. Being that it is a community college, most of them lack extracurricular and an infamous sports team. But other than the lack of social activities, academics and teacher to student ratio is amazing! Passed the fall semester with a 4.0. Teachers are extremely helpful and supportive. Peers are respectful and considerate. Lansing is known as a refugee city, therefore LCC campus is very diverse but very respectful as well! Great people there:)

Victoria

The advice i would give my high school self would be to aim high. I made the mistake of not actually looking into schools. I did one campus visit in high school and i had nothing to compare the campus or educational credentials to. Right now I am encouraging my little brother (a high school junior) to start applying to schools now. Apply to all of them. Ask questions about every school and compare the programs to eachother. Looking at schools doesn't hurt you, even if you start at a community college to begin your career its always nice to have your next step already planned.

My least favorite part about going to school at Lansing Community College is that the student body is not united by commonalities. The student body is a very diverse group with the most common aspect being that we share the same class. At a 4-year university most of the students are in the same age group, live in the same area and share the same goals and aspirations. There is also a lack of social clubs at LCC and social opportunities in general are slim.

This college is best suited for those that work a full time job, are full time parents or receiving educational credits and certifications. Lansing Community College is also great for those that would like to finish general credits before moving up the ladder to a university. I appreciate my education at Lansing Community College because I understand that even my "out of district" tuition is much cheaper than any university I could study at.

If I were able to have the ability to travel back in time to talk to my former high school senior self, I would advise her as quote: "You need to submit as many scholarships as possible now! Although we were able to afford our first year of college based on our graduation money and the money that we had saved up from our job, it would have been a lot nicer to have earned some scholarships so we could have save our money for other things, such as a proper flute for college. If we could barely pay for this year of college without taking a loan from our school or the government and our tuition for the year was around $5,000, how are we suppose to pay off for schooling in a four year college, or possibly even for next year? If we want to earn two majors and go for masters for both, we need the earn money to help us accomplish our goals. I am applying for many scholarships now, but you need to apply for some as well! College is so much fun and a great experience, so let's be able to continue!"

The best thing in my school is that the professors in the music program do help you out when it comes to presuing your goals, classes, and more.

I wish I would have known that I truly wanted to major in music so I could have started out with the right classes for the previous fall semester.

Cheyenne

The staff, administration and teacher honoestly care about the growth of their students. LCC offers a student veteran department that provides resources not only for the veterans but for their families as well. LCC works hard to provide a safe, constructive, welcoming environment and classes in ways for all students to obtain degrees, even a Bachelors. Plus LCC offers classes just for fun, subjects like motorcycle license, excercise, crafts etc... High school was not comfortable for me but I am relaxed and enjoy attending LCC. Its easier to learn and enjoyable to attend and participate in class discussions.

I am a military child. I am a child of bullying from a teacher. I am a child who did not wish to burden my mother who worked long hours and dedicated her life to provide me with stability and security. I did not wish to burden her with more to bare. I wish I would have spoke up earlier. I wish I did not suffer with fear of my fathers death or suffered alone emotionally, physically with my grades. Digging my way back up... I believe is harder to bare alone than admitting to the suffering at the time.

I believe our college is for everyone...their is no judgement...all our welcomed and encouraged.

Lansing Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.