Lansing Community College

« See more reviews of Lansing Community College

Making decisions for my future is hard I find myself in the shoes of an adult but still feel like a child. Since I did so poorly on my ACT my chances for going to a more prestigious college are slim. What education I receive will determine what job I have in the future. What I would emphasize the most is the importance of your ACT score and GPA. College and high school are different atmospheres but what is important to understand is the change involved between the two. Change is always occurring throughout one?s life but the transition between high school and college is crucial. Crucial because of the responsibilities and decisions you have to make regarding your future. This creates more pressure because you are viewed and expected to act like an adult. One encounters more peer pressure and adult like responsibility when entering college. The juggle between work and classes increase in pressure. The college you choose affects your future. College does not have a structured format like high school so procrastination can become a temptation. Some professors push their opinions so your own perspective and opinion is being put to the test.

I have returned to college to finish a degree in elementary education after being a stay at home mom. Returning to college has been one of the best things that I have ever done. I am amazed at how quickly I was able to immerse myself into my studies and it has been a joy and a privilege to interact with so many other people of all ages and from all walks of life. The college experience has exposed me to many new ways of thinking and has given me opportunities that I might otherwise not have had. I have joined the Future Teachers' Club, the Michigan Science Teachers' Association and the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. I believe that the education I am receiving now will serve me well into the future and everything that I have learned has been a priceless addition to all of my previous education. My college experience has been one of hard work and personal satisfaction as I have accomplished my academic goals. College has been such a valuable opportunity for me and I will never forget the lessons I have learned and the great people I have met along the way.

One piece of advice I would give myself and other high school seniors is to seek the help of those who can give it. In particular, I would recommend setting up an advising appointment right away, with an academic advisor at the school you are going to attend. I am going to a community college and this was not a requirement for registration like it might be at some universities. I thought I had it all figured out and I felt like I didn't need help, but now I wish I would have went to an advisor right away so I could work toward my degree in the most efficient way. Also, if you go to someone for help and they don't seem to give you what you need, then keep looking! Never stop till you get to where you want to be. Oh yeah, another big thing is PLAN AHEAD! It's super important to find the balance between future needs and those that are most pressing in the present time. You must be smart and creative in everything from picking classes to buying books to paying for parking... Use all the resources available to you!

If I were able to have the ability to travel back in time to talk to my former high school senior self, I would advise her as quote: "You need to submit as many scholarships as possible now! Although we were able to afford our first year of college based on our graduation money and the money that we had saved up from our job, it would have been a lot nicer to have earned some scholarships so we could have save our money for other things, such as a proper flute for college. If we could barely pay for this year of college without taking a loan from our school or the government and our tuition for the year was around $5,000, how are we suppose to pay off for schooling in a four year college, or possibly even for next year? If we want to earn two majors and go for masters for both, we need the earn money to help us accomplish our goals. I am applying for many scholarships now, but you need to apply for some as well! College is so much fun and a great experience, so let's be able to continue!"

If I could go back and talk to my high school self I would stick to my decidion to go to a community college first. I am paying for school myself and it makes it really hard sometimes for me to keep up with payments. So far I have been working part time and going to school full time just to keep up with everything, I couldn't even imagine having the bill be three times as much right from the start! I know that if I would have chosen to go to a university right away I would have had to take out huge loans and would be paying them off years after I graduated and I knew that was not what I wanted. We are supposed to be going to college to get a better education so that we can have the better careers but what is the point of having a well paying job if you are going to be paying off your college loans the rest of your life? I do plan to transfer to a university next year, but I beleive, that going to the community college first helped me handle my money better.

If I could go back in time and talk to my 18 year old self about college, I would talk myself into not being scared and not procrastinating. Here's my conversation with myself: Old Self: I'm scared about going. I didn't go during fall semester, so I'm not looking forward to it. There's so many things I didn't get done. Now: Don't be scared. LCC offers online classes, so take those so you don't have to worry about driving. If you take them online it's more leisurely and you've got a week to get everything done, so you'll still have time to do other things. OS: Okay, but I've got to fill out an FAFSA, pick out my classes, it's so frusterating. N: Don't worry, LCC does help. I got one online class picked out, and I've figured out how to turn everything in. Fill out an FAFSA for next semester, but don't procrastinate. Continue going on Fastweb and make sure you sign up for LCC scholarships. DON'T PROCRASTINATE! OS: I'll get started right now! Thanks!

I would tell myself to go to LCC. LCC has changed me tremendously in one year. I would say it is important to be open to trying new things because new experiences open doors. I would say learn from professors, mentors, and classmates because everyone has something to offer. I would also tell myself the importance of being involved and giving back. The program that I am currently in has definitely taught me the value of giving back and being a mentor. I would also tell myself to always trust the program because as I am ending my summer semester, I can see how LCC has given me the skills and knowledge to go far in my career. Lastly, I would advise myself to remember that doing what is right for you is extremely important and it doesn't matter how long it takes you to choose your career. College is about figuring out your future and yourself. If you believe in yourself you will succeed!

This is a great question, as you often hear people say "if I could go back and do things over," or "if I knew then what I know now" I would.....for me I would tell myself to not let anyone hold you back from what you want to do and to accomplish in your life, to set goals and follow through. Go over all your options and career choices and to pick the one that you want to pursue and go for it. That things are not always going to go your way and when that one class you think is too much for you or think that you can't do it and you want to throw in the towel believe in the incredible power of the human mind. Doing something that makes a difference of working hard, laughing and hoping and of all the things that will cross your path the start of something new brings the hope of something great. Anything is possible, there is only one you and you have one life make the best of it and enjoy it!

As a recent college attendee, I would give myself the advice that I need to check out and get any to all scholarships that I am able to get, or even apply for. I also think that I would need to save up and not have to worry about a job until after I get done with schooling. The more that you save and not spend the more money you will have to make it through college without having to take breaks in between years and then go back and still struggle more with school because you have forgotten what you learned before. I would also suggest that if you do have the money saved up that you start in college right away, for the same reason so you don't forget things you have learned. If you still need to save up money then I would suggest that you wait a year until you have some money saved up to attend without having any problems with school or money.

I have been attending college for a lot of years trying to find out what I was going to do with my life. Looking back, I know exactly what I would tell myself. Believe in YOURSELF. I know that sounds cliche but knowing what I know now, it is so important to believe in your passions and your skills. Happiness, true happiness is found in doing what you're truly passionate about. It's not just about making money, it's about enjoying life. Find what makes you happy, find what you're secretly really good at and love doing, and go for it! Money will find it's way to you if you just choose the career that you honestly will be passionate about. It took me 5 years to realize that I wasn't following my heart because everyone around me told me it would be too hard to make money taking pictures. Now I know I could not be happier doing anything else.