Appleton, WI
Lawrence University

Lisa

Lawrence is a community of intellectual peers, advisors and professors who stay true to their purpose. There is a sense of trust within “the Lawrence bubble” and no one is afraid of speaking out when they witness or experience injustice that is happening. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however, what makes Lawrence so great is that students here respect others’ opinions about certain topics. What I appreciate most about Lawrence is that everyone can be a huge support group if the need arises. For example, there are school counselors in the Wellness Center you can talk to, and if you’re a freshmen, CORE is the perfect support group because it is a no-judgement zone where you are free to express your feelings. It is a great way to adjust to the new environment and to let loose all the stress that gets accumulated from classes. There are also countless resources available for students like, the Alice G. Chapman Center where students go to discover the right internships and get advising on possible career paths. Another resource is the free tutors the school offers. Just book an appointment through Voyager and someone from the Center for Academic Success will link you up with a tutor. Although these are only a few resources I have listed, Lawrence offers support both mentally, emotionally, and academically. It is up to the students to utilize these tools and succeed from them. Since Lawrence is such a small school, you are always going to see a familiar face at least once a day. A perk of going to such a small school is that everything is easily accessible in close proximity. The furthest anyone will have to walk is fifteen minutes away. All in all, Lawrence is place where everyone is given the opportunity to thrive and succeed to their fullest potential.

Noelle

Lawrence University has great academic atmosphere, and most professors are the kind of teacher that makes you want to explore the world and open your mind to new ideas, but that is one of the only good things. The academic set up only allows you to take 3 classes and it feels very constricting. The town surrounding only lasts for a mile in each direction and you feel stuck inside a bubble sometimes. The campus is very small as well and that doe not help. As an athlete I felt that there is not a lot of school spirit and most people in the surrounding communities don't know what Lawrence university is. If you don't find a clique or group fast you will most likely be a loner. There is a lack of diversity and the minority groups have many reasons to protest, which does not help the friendless atmosphere. They also struggle at helping out- of state students adjust to the harsh winters. I was from California and it was the worst experience of my life.

Micaela

I would tell myself to take a deep breathe and relax! I can stress myself out, and all that does is cause high anxiety and wasted time. I would tell myself to stay calm and do the best I can because when you can keep yourself calm and controlled; you can do a lot and you can do it quite well. Self confidence is huge because the more you undermine yourself, and talk yourself down the less you will get done and most likely you will not do as well as you potentially could. so my advice to myself is: keep calm, do your best, and belive in yourself!

Lawrence University is a tremendous place to grow academically, socially, and emotionally as a person, and I would not trade my experience there for anything.

You're going to be happy. I know how anxious you are now about having to meet entirely new friends and worried you are about proving yourself academically. Everyone feels a degree of this and making friends just happens. Some of these friends are going to change your life and inspire you to be a better person. You decided to go to an academically demanding school, so be ready for late nights in the library, but always remember what you're learning is more important than the grade. With this in mind, you'll get the grades you want anyways. You'll also have the honor of being mentored by a few incredible professors, who will influence you to pursue a career in human rights advocacy. I know you're planning on going to medical school, but there's nothing wrong with changing your mind and you'll soon see how good of a writer you are and how this new career path is fitting. So, I'll leave you with this. At times, you're going to be stressed, sad, or scared, but far more often you're going to be challenged, inspired, loved, and most of all happy.

I wish I could go back and tell my high school self to relax and that everything would work out. I had a lot of anxiety about meeting new people and proving myself academically. If I would not have been so anxious and nervous my freshman year, I would have realized I do not need to stay up all night studying, which I'm sure the stress of that year cut at least five years off my lifespan. There are more efficient ways of learning the material, which you learn by trial and error.

Natalie

It’s true: college is hard. Nobody says otherwise, and there’s a reason. I’ve been there two years now and I can confirm. But I can also confirm that in some ways, college is much easier than high school. High school is a struggle to achieve a respectable GPA in many classes, not all of which deal with your favorite subjects, while applying for schools, maintaining extracurriculars, and surviving in a cut-throat social environment. College is entirely different. Sure, it’s a high level of academics – you’ll do a lot of work, with more expected of you than has ever been asked before. But you’ll love it. You’re going to be studying what you want, learning about things that interest you – all your choice. Everything’s a bit easier socially, too. In college you’ll make friends who care about you for who you are and what you do – not what you’re wearing or what parties you go to. So get ready: college is a bigger challenge than you’ve ever met before. But it’s a challenge you’re going to love – one you’re not going to want to give up.

There are a few dud professors here or there and it's easy to get assigned them as advisors or take classes with them early on - in some departments, it's hard to avoid. But Lawrence has some real gems - if you can get around the other guys, which can take awhile, you can find some pretty amazing teachers.

The non-competitive learning environment. What I wanted most out of a school was a place where everybody wanted to learn, to study, to do well in school, but also wanted to cooperate - somewhere where people didn't want to do well at the expense of others. And I've found it at Lawrence. It truly is a place of learning and scholarship without the cut-throat feel typical of some more prestigious institutions.

Chelsea

If I could have the chance to talk to my high school senior self, I would stress the importance of implimenting solid study habits and entering college with an open mind. I was one of the high school students that never had to study to get straight As, simply showing up, doing the homework, and paying attention was enough for me. In college, I underestimated the amount that I needed to study and as a result, my gpa suffered for my first college term. If I could go back to senior year, I could convince myself the necessity of discovering which study methods worked best for me before I got to college. I also had the opportunity to live with an international student my freshman year - I was paired with a Vietnamese girl. Coming from a small town, I had never imagined the possibility of having a roommate from a foreign country, one who could be so different from myself. Luckily, it was one of the best experiences I had freshman year, although there was definitely a learning curve in discovering how to interact with each other. An open mind was key for that, and many other college experiences.

I believe the worst thing about Lawrence (although it's hard to think of anything negative about Lawrence) is that it feels as though there are certain majors that do more work than others. For example, it feels as though the science majors put in many, many hours studying, writing papers and doing research compared to the conservatory students.

The most frustrating thing about Lawrence is that it is so academically challenging, even in your freshman and sophomore years. While your friends at other colleges/universities will be taking "easier" courses, you'll be pushing yourself in your courses. This can easily get frustrating as you'll feel as though you are doing more work than them, and that getting a high gpa will be much more difficult.

Ruby

I would tell myself to focus on what I want and not get pressured by those around me. Sometimes the best school for you isn't the highest ranked, or the one that gives the most financial aid. You have to find out as much as you can about schools before you can make a decision, but you'll never know what it will be like until you try it!

A person who isn't self-motivated, or people who just want to blend in with the crowd shouldn't attend Lawrence.

Kathryn

Lawrence University is one thing "The Lawrence Difference" (their motto) and I couldn't agree more.

I would tell myself to re-consider other career options instead of being contained to one path. Lawrence is an amazing school but it can be limiting as far as majors go so try not to box yourself in too soon. When you meet people in these new classes, don't assume they will be your friend right away because chances are, they are only concerned about their own individualized needs and not about you. Don't have such high expectations. Just live, enjoy, and don't forget to practice. :)

Margaret

My classmates at Lawrence University are eager to learn, driven to succeed and supportive of other students.

There are several pieces of advice I would tell myself as a high school senior. The first would be to get involved with activities you know you like to participate in, as well as ones that are unfamiliar. You may be surprised at what you find. Second, I would tell myself that college is a lot of hard work and long hours, and learning how to manage your time is one of the best things you will learn. Third, in making the transition from high school to college, I would tell myself to explore different subject areas and take advantage of opportunities to learn about other subject matters. Finally, I would tell myself that college goes by quickly and to enjoy the opportunities it provides.

I usually mention the accesibility of my professors, their concern with their students academic lives, and the types of courses that I can choose from.

Harrison

My classmates are a group of smart and passionate young adults. They are hard workers, but also very socialable and friendly...

My school is best known for it's academics and the conservatory of music. It is also known for being a small school and that cares for its students.

Lawrence University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.