Appleton, WI
Lawrence University

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Micaela

I would tell myself to take a deep breathe and relax! I can stress myself out, and all that does is cause high anxiety and wasted time. I would tell myself to stay calm and do the best I can because when you can keep yourself calm and controlled; you can do a lot and you can do it quite well. Self confidence is huge because the more you undermine yourself, and talk yourself down the less you will get done and most likely you will not do as well as you potentially could. so my advice to myself is: keep calm, do your best, and belive in yourself!

Lawrence University is a tremendous place to grow academically, socially, and emotionally as a person, and I would not trade my experience there for anything.

You're going to be happy. I know how anxious you are now about having to meet entirely new friends and worried you are about proving yourself academically. Everyone feels a degree of this and making friends just happens. Some of these friends are going to change your life and inspire you to be a better person. You decided to go to an academically demanding school, so be ready for late nights in the library, but always remember what you're learning is more important than the grade. With this in mind, you'll get the grades you want anyways. You'll also have the honor of being mentored by a few incredible professors, who will influence you to pursue a career in human rights advocacy. I know you're planning on going to medical school, but there's nothing wrong with changing your mind and you'll soon see how good of a writer you are and how this new career path is fitting. So, I'll leave you with this. At times, you're going to be stressed, sad, or scared, but far more often you're going to be challenged, inspired, loved, and most of all happy.

I wish I could go back and tell my high school self to relax and that everything would work out. I had a lot of anxiety about meeting new people and proving myself academically. If I would not have been so anxious and nervous my freshman year, I would have realized I do not need to stay up all night studying, which I'm sure the stress of that year cut at least five years off my lifespan. There are more efficient ways of learning the material, which you learn by trial and error.

Natalie

It’s true: college is hard. Nobody says otherwise, and there’s a reason. I’ve been there two years now and I can confirm. But I can also confirm that in some ways, college is much easier than high school. High school is a struggle to achieve a respectable GPA in many classes, not all of which deal with your favorite subjects, while applying for schools, maintaining extracurriculars, and surviving in a cut-throat social environment. College is entirely different. Sure, it’s a high level of academics – you’ll do a lot of work, with more expected of you than has ever been asked before. But you’ll love it. You’re going to be studying what you want, learning about things that interest you – all your choice. Everything’s a bit easier socially, too. In college you’ll make friends who care about you for who you are and what you do – not what you’re wearing or what parties you go to. So get ready: college is a bigger challenge than you’ve ever met before. But it’s a challenge you’re going to love – one you’re not going to want to give up.

There are a few dud professors here or there and it's easy to get assigned them as advisors or take classes with them early on - in some departments, it's hard to avoid. But Lawrence has some real gems - if you can get around the other guys, which can take awhile, you can find some pretty amazing teachers.

The non-competitive learning environment. What I wanted most out of a school was a place where everybody wanted to learn, to study, to do well in school, but also wanted to cooperate - somewhere where people didn't want to do well at the expense of others. And I've found it at Lawrence. It truly is a place of learning and scholarship without the cut-throat feel typical of some more prestigious institutions.

Chelsea

If I could have the chance to talk to my high school senior self, I would stress the importance of implimenting solid study habits and entering college with an open mind. I was one of the high school students that never had to study to get straight As, simply showing up, doing the homework, and paying attention was enough for me. In college, I underestimated the amount that I needed to study and as a result, my gpa suffered for my first college term. If I could go back to senior year, I could convince myself the necessity of discovering which study methods worked best for me before I got to college. I also had the opportunity to live with an international student my freshman year - I was paired with a Vietnamese girl. Coming from a small town, I had never imagined the possibility of having a roommate from a foreign country, one who could be so different from myself. Luckily, it was one of the best experiences I had freshman year, although there was definitely a learning curve in discovering how to interact with each other. An open mind was key for that, and many other college experiences.

I believe the worst thing about Lawrence (although it's hard to think of anything negative about Lawrence) is that it feels as though there are certain majors that do more work than others. For example, it feels as though the science majors put in many, many hours studying, writing papers and doing research compared to the conservatory students.

The most frustrating thing about Lawrence is that it is so academically challenging, even in your freshman and sophomore years. While your friends at other colleges/universities will be taking "easier" courses, you'll be pushing yourself in your courses. This can easily get frustrating as you'll feel as though you are doing more work than them, and that getting a high gpa will be much more difficult.

Ruby

I would tell myself to focus on what I want and not get pressured by those around me. Sometimes the best school for you isn't the highest ranked, or the one that gives the most financial aid. You have to find out as much as you can about schools before you can make a decision, but you'll never know what it will be like until you try it!

A person who isn't self-motivated, or people who just want to blend in with the crowd shouldn't attend Lawrence.

Kathryn

Lawrence University is one thing "The Lawrence Difference" (their motto) and I couldn't agree more.

I would tell myself to re-consider other career options instead of being contained to one path. Lawrence is an amazing school but it can be limiting as far as majors go so try not to box yourself in too soon. When you meet people in these new classes, don't assume they will be your friend right away because chances are, they are only concerned about their own individualized needs and not about you. Don't have such high expectations. Just live, enjoy, and don't forget to practice. :)

Margaret

My classmates at Lawrence University are eager to learn, driven to succeed and supportive of other students.

There are several pieces of advice I would tell myself as a high school senior. The first would be to get involved with activities you know you like to participate in, as well as ones that are unfamiliar. You may be surprised at what you find. Second, I would tell myself that college is a lot of hard work and long hours, and learning how to manage your time is one of the best things you will learn. Third, in making the transition from high school to college, I would tell myself to explore different subject areas and take advantage of opportunities to learn about other subject matters. Finally, I would tell myself that college goes by quickly and to enjoy the opportunities it provides.

I usually mention the accesibility of my professors, their concern with their students academic lives, and the types of courses that I can choose from.

Harrison

My classmates are a group of smart and passionate young adults. They are hard workers, but also very socialable and friendly...

My school is best known for it's academics and the conservatory of music. It is also known for being a small school and that cares for its students.

Cameron

I would like to tell myself one probably cheesey but completely true statement that others repeatedly threw at me. "You will love it." At the time, I did not believe the countless parents, teachers, and students who threw this statement of trust at me. If I had truly took their words to heart, my whole attitude about college would have changed. The simple knowledge that someday after a bit of time I would truly love college would have made my transition much easier. I spend the beginning months missing home and trying to adjust to the different lifestyle college presented, looking for the light at the end of the tunnel that I was sure would appear with time. If I had taken the knowledge that college would definately be a place I would cherish spending time and love to take an active role in, my initial fears and doubts would have been significantly less than they were. I would have more activley engaged myself in activities and college life in the beginning, knowing this would lead to my enjoyment of my time at Lawrence. Just believing in the simple statement "you will love it" would have greatly effected my experience.

I think there are two great things about the school, which are interconnected to be my favorite thing about Lawrence. The first is the size. Being a small school it is easy to interact with teachers, get activly involved in classes and get to know students around campus. The second thing is the students. Students are active, interested in learning, passionate about interests and make the campus truly the best place for me to be. Combined, the small size of Lawrence and the passion and interests of students make the campus a dynamic and powerful learning and growing environemnt.

I would have liked to know the value and importance of getting activley involved in extracuricular activities from the start. A little bit of fear restrained me from getting involved in activities like the student garden, art club and social justice groups. While I got involved with these groups later in the year, this would have drastically changed my initial withholdings about the school and would have allowed me to make a contribution to Lawrence's community.

Leah

We get to know all of our professors very good and on a personal level. All my professors remember me from past terms and always say hi to me when I am walking on campus. Also, all of our class sizes are small and you can get in an engaging discussion because of that.

As a junior in college I have learned so much since high school and there is a lot I would tell my younger self, but the most important thing I would tell my younger self is that I can make a difference in the world some day. In high school I never thought it would be possible to make a difference in the world, that I was just a simple girl from a small town. But now that I have been in school I have realized that I am capable of making a difference with the education I am recieving from Lawrence University. I have been given opportunities from this school that will change my life and others lives forever. I will be going to Africa next year to volunteer at an orphanage to work with children that have disabilities and I can not wait to help them. I know that my younger self would have viewd this opportunity as something that seemed impossible but now I have made the impossible become possible and I will continue to make a difference in this world because of that.

Someone who does not want to work hard to earn their grades. Lawrence is a tough school, but it is worth it if you are willing to work hard and feel rewarded when you finish papers and assignments. Also, if you do not like small schools you would not like Lawrence. We have around 1300 students on this campus so it is very small.

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.