Lawrence University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lawrence University

Ian

It is a good small private school to attend to and its cultural essence is just great to be around and learn about. I play football here and the school spirit is great they all come and support the football team when there are home games and the culture around is great with students who are new and learning the tradition it has.

Hanna

There are a few really great professors here and plenty of great students, but this university will screw you over financially if you aren't a trust fund baby. They give huge scholarships for first years and then diminish it the next year. My out-of-pocket tuition cost tripled from freshman to sophomore year despite the fact that I'm a Pell Grant recipient. The staff here is like 85% white, Appleton is a depressing little city where all there is to do is drink, and it's impossible to get around anywhere without a car (which you have to pay $600/year to park)!

Lilia

I am so thankful to be at Lawrence. They have done a fantastic job at navigating covid times. It is great living on campus and all the staff are amazing and helpful. The students are smart, creative, and original. At Lawrence, you don't have to let one thing define you, like being a jock or being a con kid. Instead, you can be in multiple groups and be involved in anything from frats/sororities to on-campus jobs and clubs.

Leon

Excellent school, I attended on an NSF grant in mathematics. Professors were excellent, dialogue in class was inclusive. Campus was nice to walk, day or night. I felt more at home at Lawrence than I did at Baylor, but then it was a smaller campus and smaller enrollment. In addition, the campus was very close to the downtown area, so it was much easier to walk into town to do things.

Christopher

Lawrence provides a wide variety of opportunities for many students, and being a part of the conservatory allows for a lot of performance possibilities. Students outside of the conservatory are also encouraged to perform and allow music to be a part of their collegiate experience, and I wouldn't have it another way.

Noelle

Lawrence University has great academic atmosphere, and most professors are the kind of teacher that makes you want to explore the world and open your mind to new ideas, but that is one of the only good things. The academic set up only allows you to take 3 classes and it feels very constricting. The town surrounding only lasts for a mile in each direction and you feel stuck inside a bubble sometimes. The campus is very small as well and that doe not help. As an athlete I felt that there is not a lot of school spirit and most people in the surrounding communities don't know what Lawrence university is. If you don't find a clique or group fast you will most likely be a loner. There is a lack of diversity and the minority groups have many reasons to protest, which does not help the friendless atmosphere. They also struggle at helping out- of state students adjust to the harsh winters. I was from California and it was the worst experience of my life.

Samara

There are many pros and cons to Lawrence. One is class size. We have about 1500 students in the entire school, and that offers a lot. There is an extremely tight-knit community here and everybody knows everybody. However, sometimes that can be exhausting for some people. Another thing is that everyone on campus is involved in everything, especially the conservatory students. It is easy to overextend yourself and be part of the "Lawrence Busy".

Jesus

It is a pretty small school so you will recognize faces. The community surrounding the campus can be kind of hectic because they see Lawrence students as pretentious and rich. That is not the case for students on campus. The classes are great because you can ask questions during class.

Maurice

My daughter made an early acceptance decision to Lawrence University. The school is 75% White with the remaining students coming from International Study Abroad kids and those on scholarship. The sports program is robust and expanding. As a prospective parent, I would send my daughter and our money to this institution.

Ethan

The campus is way more welcoming than I thoughtit was going to be when I arrived. The profesors are all really engaging with the students, and it helps that the class sizes are small. There are so many opportunities that are open to you for being a Lawrentian, so I know this is a great university.

Allison

I think that making the choice to come to Lawrence University was probably one of the best decisions I've made. I really enjoy the smaller class setting which allows me to get to know my peers as well as my professor. I came from a large high school where I felt that I was just a number but Lawrence has made me feel welcome and has given me a more personalized education. I have met some of the most amazing people here. Eveyrone is so friendly and it's super easy to make close friends. The dorms are very big on getting to know one another and building a community, so there are always opportunities to get to know other residents. If you are looking for a small university, Lawrence University should be at the top of your list.

Chris

Snotty professors who are not particularly interested in student success. Campus is filled with mental health problems, social isolation, and 18 year olds trying to sound smarter than each other. Student-faculty interaction is branded as being the 'Lawrence Difference' and is one of the major selling points for this $50,000/year hellhole, but in reality professors are selective in the students they help. Don't waste your money, time, or sanity in dealing with this school and go out and get a proper education.

Lisa

Lawrence is a community of intellectual peers, advisors and professors who stay true to their purpose. There is a sense of trust within “the Lawrence bubble” and no one is afraid of speaking out when they witness or experience injustice that is happening. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however, what makes Lawrence so great is that students here respect others’ opinions about certain topics. What I appreciate most about Lawrence is that everyone can be a huge support group if the need arises. For example, there are school counselors in the Wellness Center you can talk to, and if you’re a freshmen, CORE is the perfect support group because it is a no-judgement zone where you are free to express your feelings. It is a great way to adjust to the new environment and to let loose all the stress that gets accumulated from classes. There are also countless resources available for students like, the Alice G. Chapman Center where students go to discover the right internships and get advising on possible career paths. Another resource is the free tutors the school offers. Just book an appointment through Voyager and someone from the Center for Academic Success will link you up with a tutor. Although these are only a few resources I have listed, Lawrence offers support both mentally, emotionally, and academically. It is up to the students to utilize these tools and succeed from them. Since Lawrence is such a small school, you are always going to see a familiar face at least once a day. A perk of going to such a small school is that everything is easily accessible in close proximity. The furthest anyone will have to walk is fifteen minutes away. All in all, Lawrence is place where everyone is given the opportunity to thrive and succeed to their fullest potential.

Lawrence University is a small liberal arts college in the small town of Appleton. I really enjoy it because I get more individual attention from the professors and they really want to succeed. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer, join sports, and participate in a variety of clubs. Lawrence also has a music conservatory, so the creative and intellectual mind is supported here.

Britta

I love it! It's my second home. I'm on winter break right now, and I actually miss everyone there. I miss being there, being able to walk everywhere. I never thought I'd like to be so close to everything, since I've always longed to be away from everything, but now, back home, I feel so far away, and I miss the closeness, the knowing that everyone around you is in the same boat as you. Everyone's so supportive of each other and willing to help each other. My residence hall, Kohler, is like one big family. I feel so loved. We all are more connected; the students and professors are more connected than we were in earlier years. We all live together, especially since there's no off-campus housing, really. It brings our community even closer, keeps us unified. It's what makes Lawrence so welcoming.

Tykee

I love this school so much! it's different from most colleges which makes it special also. It truly is like a family away from your family. The faculty and staff truly care about you and make themselves available for you so much. There is definitely an adjustment period but once the adjustment period is out of the way I think students really begin to love the place.

Maggie

Lawrence has offered me the perfect environment to learn and grow as I work my way into the world. Even as a part of two fairly small departments, Linguistics and Classics, I have learned a lot and felt supported by my professors and my fellow students alike. Most of us seem to share a contagious enthusiasm for learning and exploring, whether in the classroom or at a concert or just sitting around in the dining hall and chatting. Throughout campus, students are known for their "busy culture"; they are determined to find more to get involved in or accomplish. However, both students and faculty members do their best to ensure that this busy-ness doesn't reach unhealthy levels, and I have felt a campus-wide camaraderie and concern for the whole community's well-being.