Syracuse, NY

Le Moyne College

« See more reviews of Le Moyne College

While I may not have admitted it, I was more nervous than excited to start college. I was only seventeen, having graduated a year early, and had always been homeschooled. My world was about to expand considerably. How would I fair in a classroom filled with strangers? What would I think of my professors, and what would they think of me? How would I handle the intense work load? My fears were mostly unfounded. Regardless of our educational backgrounds, the majority of freshman around me were as nervous as I was. We were equally prepared (or unprepared) for college. We were all in the same boat, happy to turn to each other for friendship and support. It was amazing to see students from diverse cultural, religious, and economic backgrounds come together and form a cohesive group in their new shared environment. My professors were approachable and helpful, and the work load was tough but manageable. I even made the Dean's list both semesters. Along with giving me an invaluable education, college has greatly benefited me. I am learning to embrace new challenges. College helped me gain confidence and develop new insights into myself and the world around me.

Having attended LeMoyne College for a year, I have received many valuable skills and learned things about the world, life, and myself through the entire learning process. The classes I attended taught me skills that I would need for future success, but what I found to be even more sufficient was the skills those classes taught me to succeed in life overall, not just in one focuses career. My focus of education lies in the Criminal Justice Program. The Criminology classes that I was enrolIed in taught me things that would greatly influence my thought process about crime. Crime indexes, people's attitudes and motivations for their actions, research skills, and a plethera of other knowledge relating to the course. After my first year, I also walked away with a better understanding of myself, as the advisors at LeMoyne were excellent. I learned that it is okay to not have a definate plan, which was my major concern over anything. I walked away from my first year assured that either way I would succeed in life as long as I continued to work hard. College is a learning process, not just education wise, but learning about yourself as well.

First and foremost I recommend that students actually take the time to visit as many college campuses as possible that match the description of what you are looking for (with perhaps a few choices that our slightly outside your comfort zone). From there choosing the right one is a simple matter of asking questions that give you a reasonable understanding of what life is like there (especially if you seek on-campus housing) and choosing which you feel more comfortable at. Do not be afraid to listen to your gut-feelings (an important life lesson so might as well get started with it). As for making the most out of college, make sure you socialize with as many individuals as possible. Network (drop names, numbers, facebook accounts, etc) with people (and professors) and go to campus activities and even a few parties. This does not mean you have to drink. I recommend going to a few of them sober; you might be surprised by what you see. Academically speaking do not try to rush your education and actively participate (you will learn a lot more). More importantly take classes that interest you even if they are not in your major.

Today was the first day of classes for my Senior, and final year, at LeMoyne College. Though it is trite to mention, it truly is a bittersweet day in my life. I know that there are great things ahead, and great memories to look back on. I also know that I am well prepared for the "real world" as my parents and professors often playfully call it. My college experience has taught me countless new lessons, both in and out of the classroom. Here at LeMoyne I have learned the importance of critical thinking and analysis, hard work, close relationships, and service to ones community, all of which are part of the Jesuit tradition that extends into and beyond the classroom. I have also learned the art of independence. Studying abroad in Florence, Italy, spending a summer as a psychology intern in New York City, living in an apartment with friends, and completing my own psychology research project here at LeMoyne have all taught me that I am capable of anything I desire, and can truly make a difference in the world. That is after all, as I have learned at LeMoyne, the true importance of education.

Dear Student: Good luck in selecting the "right college" in order to continue your educational enlightenment! I remember the dreaded process well... A Senior in a small public high school in upstate New York, I was determined to get into the top school of my choice, and because I had a high GPA, I thought my spot was guaranteed. I was wrong. Although not getting accepted to an "Ivy league" school was a let-down, I currently consider it one of the best things that's ever happened to me. I ended up going to my "back-up" school, still a very good, small private liberal arts college, and I learned the hard way that the college experience is for each individual what they make of it. As a Senior, working on my Honors thesis and about to graduate in May, I wish I had known earlier the advantages of getting involved in my own college experience. My advice to any incoming freshman is this: Take your own life by the reins! GET INVOLVED! Whether it's research, a new or existing club, music, theatre....just delve into this new, free world...don't wait, there's only four years!

One of the most important things to take into account when choosing a college is comfortability. It is necessary to picture yourself spending a good amount of time on a college's campus and in its surrounding areas. While doing so, you should be able to decide whether or not you would feel at home on campus and would be safe, accepted, and happy there. Make sure the campus is not to big or too small for your liking. After finding the perfect college, in order to make the most of the college experience, you must make the college your own. Treat it as your home away from home. Participate in as many activities as possible, whether it be community service projects or intramural athletics. Get out and make friends. Don't be shy and hold back, be friendly and outgoing. Most likely, your new fellow classmates will be just as nervous and scared as you. Most importantly, don't be intimidated by your surroundings or simply try to blend in. Be yourself and embrace your own style. Take your time on campus to discover who you are. Once you make this discovery, never change to impress!

When I decided to attend Lemoyne, I was somewhat worried about what to expect. I had wanted to go to a college with sororities and more competition in the classroom. I have found that everyone is friendly to each other and everyone socializes together. My classes are small and everyone is willing to help each other and start a study group before a final exam. Lemoyne has a smaller campus, which makes it easier to get to the gym, events, and classes. The layout of the campus mixed with the helpful professors and friendly classmates provides for a relaxing environment to recieve an education. I get so much more out of my professors and classes because of the size and that there is no cut-throat competition. Lemoyne is a part of a close-knit, warm, and caring community that takes pride in the success of the students. Although lemoyne was not my first choice, it would be my choice all over again if i had the chance. I have made life long friends and am getting the best education possible. I know I will have dolphin pride long after I graduate from Lemoyne college.

I acquired my Associate in Arts (AA) degree back in 2002. Upon receiving my degree, I transferred to SCSU and was enrolled in classes during the 2002/2003 school year. At that time I was unsure which direction I wanted my professional life to take. I declared a Pre-Business major but before long, I realized that it was not the correct choice for me. Being on campus felt like a prison sentence - like I was forced to be there. At the conclusion of the school year, I made the decision to stop attending and try my luck in the “real world.” Over the past 7 years I've worked various jobs and have been lucky enough to become a husband and a father. After numerous heartfelt talks with my family, I have made the decision to return to school and pursue a degree in a field that I am passionate about – teaching. I enrolled back at SCSU and begun taking classes this fall. Being back on campus feels AMAZING! I have a true desire and passion for the subject matter and absolutley love being back at school. The prison sentence feeling is no more - College has set me free!

If I could give all college freshmen one thing (along with their microwaves, course books, fake IDs, and anxieties) it would be this advice: “College is what YOU make of it.” I consider this paramount to all contrary advice and essential to success. Why? Well, through many mistakes, I discovered that being assertive with my academic, athletic, and social life was the golden key. I had to be the one to approach the professor when the organic chemistry homework was impossible. I had to be the one to drain a cup of coffee before a 7:00 track practice. I had to leave my dorm door open that first, homesick week away from home. I had to be the one to lay down the law when my roommate sold alcohol to minors. I had to be responsible. I had to grow. I had to become an adult. Through my assertiveness in college, I am awestruck to have learned more about myself. However, none of this could have happen if I had not made the first move. So, get on the offensive and make something out of college. At least, that is what I consider the most valuable lesson taught.

I have learned so much while attending college. However, the one major thing I've learned is how to think critically. I believe that it is an important skill to have because it helps you make harder decisions later on in life without having someone holding your hand the entire time. For example, an engineer who has learned to think critically would be able to deciper on her own whether or not the bridge she is building is going to be stable. She would also be able to use her judgment to ask others when the situation called for it instead of stubbornly trying to do it alone. Critical thinking has been a big part of growing up for me. I have been able to witness in myself the ability I have acquired to truly think through difficult decisions. Whereas, when I was younger I would most definitely have had my parents make the decision for me. It's always good to seek another's advice, but without the knowledge or ability to test another person's words or opinions, then one will not get very far in life. That is why college has been extremely valuable to me.