Annville, PA
Lebanon Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lebanon Valley College

Karly

I absolutely love LVC. I feel like I am getting a really good education for the amount of money I'm paying. The social life is a little bland at times but that's not the fault of the college. There is always something to do on campus but many students prefer to hang out with their friends in the dorms. The best thing about the school is our academics. Each of our programs is top notch and the personal attention I receive is really helpful. The advisors are great and I feel like my professors really care about how I'm doing. It would be nice if the campus was a tad bit bigger. Sometimes it's annoying that you know pretty much everyone in a class but on the other hand, it makes group projects a lot easier! Sometimes I feel like I'm not necessarily getting a true "college" experience just because the town of Annville is so small. The residents and businesses are very open to the students and the local restaurants often offer deals for LVC students. You'll learn to love Chinese food, ice cream, and pizza! The size of the school is a little small socially just because everyone knows each other and each other's business. There are cliques but it is different from high school in that the cliques interact and people aren't rude. Yeah you have your jocks, stoners, geeks, and music kids but we all get along. I always get positive reactions when I say I go to LVC. Our school has a great reputation in the community as well as with employers.

The students are very academically focused. They are relatively open-minded and friendly. We are not very racially diverse (primarily caucasian) but do have a lot of tolerance for students who are LGBT and from various religious backgrounds. There are groups on campus ranging from academic groups to religious organizations to Freedom Rings, the LGBT ally group. Students usually hang out in their cliques. An average sample of 4 tables would reveal a sports table, people within the same major, a sorority/fraternity, and music students. Most of us are from middle class backgrounds but money isn't really discussed. Politically, we are all over the spectrum and we have both College Democrat and College Republican groups on campus.

The most popular student activities or groups are volunteer organizations, music groups, and sports teams. Almost everyone is involved with one or multiple of those types of groups and many, many of each exist at LVC. The most popular organizations are Habitat for Humanity, Servants of Christ, Valley Ambassadors, academic clubs, and sports teams. The most popular sports on campus are football, ice hockey, and basketball. I'm involved with Valley Ambassadors, the tour guides for campus. We start out as Valley Volunteers and give tours without pay. After two interviews, you can be selected to be a Valley Ambassador and work in the admissions office. We get paid 7.75 an hour and have a lot of fun working together at open houses. Basically we stuff mailings and give tours, unless you work for a specific department (I work for the application processing department). Over a week in summer training, all the VA's bond together and we all know each other. Everyone is really supportive and helpful.

The academics are really challenging at LVC. It is not a school for slackers or for people who do not want to be challenged. All my professors know my name and it's really nice to see them on campus and be able to say hi; they actually use your name when they see you and ask how your weekend was or how your recent sports game went. Even though they sometimes are a pain because they're not counting toward your major, the gen ed courses are really great because they get you interested and exposed to lots of different subjects. In fact, I changed my major at the end of my freshman year because of one of my gen ed classes. Students study A LOT on average. Many of the students take academics very seriously but are rewarded with scholarships and the distinction of being on Dean's List. I wouldn't say students are competitive. It's more of a supportive environment. Yes everyone wants to do well but we're all in it together. You want your classmates to succeed and graduate with you. The most interesting class I've taken was my first year seminar. It was course on how sociology is incorporated into the TV show Sex and the City. loved it! We took a trip to New York City and read really interesting books as well as watched an episode each class period. I don't know any other school that has such unique classes, particularly for freshman. However, even though these courses sound a little silly, you learn a ton about yourself and how you view society. That class made me think about topics I hadn't ever explored and really challenged me to think hard. I was exposed to a lot of new things but professors don't teach you like kids anymore; you're adults and expected to behave and think like adults should.

LVC has a lot of different students but they are definitely grouped into categories, particularly by major, especially the music students, science and PT students. The stereotype is that a lot of the students are nerdy and that's definitely true! We're still normal college students but most students come to LVC to study and work hard in school. This isn't a party campus by any means! Another thing I've heard is that LVC kids tend to be a little stuck up and that is absolutely not true. Many of us come from regular middle-class families and this campus is without a doubt one of the friendliest colleges I visited. We really are all like a family here and I feel very comfortable approaching complete strangers to ask for directions or other people within my major about which classes to take.

Sara

I don't know where to start! I am so happy here at Lebanon Valley College! I am comfortable here, I feel safe here, I love the people here, and I really cannot see myself anywhere else! I wake up every morning here, and I see the campus always looking beautiful, I witness smiles and hear hellos from the staff, and I am sourrounded by students who seem eager to learn yet are eager to have a great college experience. There is always something to do at LVC whether it is going to cheer on one of our many sports teams, or listen to a concert, or even take trips to places close-by thanks to opportunities the college has to offer. The friendly faces of staff and other students is also always very welcoming here at Lebanon Valley College. Such a great place! :)

The professors are wonderful! It is easy to see that they know their stuff and they are eager to get you to know it as well! Being an Education Major, I cannot say enough about the wonderful department here. They are already putting us out into the field, and having us observe teachers in the area. This is such a wonderful experience! Class sizes are small, so the professors get to know you on a more personal level, which is something very neat and beneficial!

As cliche as it may sound, Lebanon Valley College is like a family. The students create bonds with others and connect in many ways. LVC is big with music, sports, and clubs, and just like other schools, there are the jocks, the musicians, the smarty-pants, and the preps, but with our close-knit campus, everyone seems to act like one big family who accepts one another. :)

Christy

I love LVC! The best part by far is how I can walk anywhere on campus and know that I will recognize almost every face I see. When I tell people I go to Lebanon Valley, it is usually held in high regard because LVC is known for academics. My favorite place to hang out while at school is in the quad playing frisbee or catch with friends.

As a music recording major, I'm in the Audio Engineering Society which has definitely given me alot of hands on activities in the studios. Athletic events, especially volleyball and basketball are really popular for students to attend. My favorite tradition about LVC is the football game against Albright. If Lebanon Valley wins, all the students march to Kreiderheim (the presidents house) to petition for no class the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

In my experience here, I've found that Lebanon Valley offers plenty of religious choices without being overbearing. Students sometimes attend churches in the community or go through the chaplain for community service opportunities. Lebanon Valley offers financial aid in some form to the majority of the students as well.

LVC is an awesome college academically. Every class that I've been in has averaged about twenty students, and all of my professors know my name. It's nice to go to class and be engaged in the lesson rather than sitting in a lecture hall trying to pay attention. As a music recording major, I spend time with my piano professor outside of my general classes, which is a nice way to get to know teachers better than just in the classroom. I've also found that I'm learning knowledge that will be practical/useful in the real world when it's time to job search.

Lebanon Valley is fairly small, so a large number of the students are athletes as well. However, there are so many clubs and groups that everyone can find an interest.

I don't think you can stereotype all LVC students as anything other but than down to earth. As far as stereotypical groups, we do have an excellent music program here so we do have a lot of music students. A lot of students also come here to play sports so we have a large athletic crowd.

Natalie

The overall reaction of Lebanon Valley is that it is a very positive school that is also challenging academically. We have many programs that are tough for students, but when you tell someone for example that you are in the LVC Physical Therapy program they seem to have a very strong respect for that fact!! I feel that our campus is just right for the student who doesn't want to get lost in the shuffle. Each student is unique and a special part of the campus and there is no skipping class and not being noticed :)

There are many different students on our campus. Religious affiliations are here and able for students to take part in without feeling radical. As well we have many greek organizations that students can participate in however they aren't a huge part of campus life.

All of my professors know who I am or at least are always willing to get to know me personally. I have babysat for my professors, gone out to eat with them and they all are just very down to earth and understanding people. I have had a few spanish classes and these classes are smaller in size normally like 10-15 students which is great for a spanish class because you really get that to practice the language and get to know the professors better. One of my favorite professors is Guzman a spanish professor who is very down-to-earth and my favorite part about her class is the stories she tells!! Of course they are in spanish but that way I am learning and interested at the same time :)

Our school is mainly a down to earth group of students who all seem like a close knit family. Like on any other college campus you have some of every type of student of course :)

Trinda

While the transition from high school to college may seem mainly as a transition from living at home to living on your own, it also causes you to change a lot as a person. Staying strong and confident is key, the changes that occur with classes, friends, and family can cause a lot of stress and can affect your grades and attitude about life. You become a stronger person, as well as finding out your strengths and weaknesses. Another important piece of advice is to not change to fit in, college is not about popularity or socializing, in the end it's about getting a good education and degree that will help you later in the career field.

While the campus itself has a lot of activities and oppourtunities, the town of Annville is very tiny and could be considered "boring" to some. Coming from a town not much larger than Annville, this doesn't bother me as much as those who come from larger towns.

The tuition, while worth every cent, is incredibly high. With the economy today, even with a good amount of scholarships and loans, it can still be difficult to pay off the tuition bills at the end of every semester.

Morgan

I think the number one thing I learned at college so far is how to effecively communicate. Communication is so important and many of the people in my generation don't know how to effecively communicate. It is going to set me and my fellow classmates apart when we graduate and look for jobs.

The small classroom settings. My professors know me by name. They are very willing to us understand what we are learning. I feel like I am really understanding what is being taught and I am learning how to apply it to my everyday life.

As a commuting student, there is a lack of sufficent parking on campus.

Travis

Classmates here are generally very intelligent, friendly, interesting, engaging people with diverse interests, and background...

Classmates here are generally very intelligent, friendly, interesting, engaging people with diverse interests, and backgrounds.

The school taught me a lot about the subjects I took as well as how to learn, research and collaborate with my peers.

If you are not self-motivated and responsible, don't bother.

Danielle

College helped me to be a well rounded person. I was able to apply brainstorming techniques at my current job. The interpersonal speech class has taught me how to listen to others and to understand their different personalities. My public speaking and acting classes helped me to project my voice and not be afraid to speak in front of others. My storytelling classes helped me to break out of my shell and be creative and imaginative. I was not afraid to try different and new things. It also gave others in the class the strength to break out of their shells because someone else had done it first. I was glad that in someway I had made a small change in others.

Krystal

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience. I have learned that I have to push to do my best thing do not always come easy to people. I have also learned that I am vey lucky to be able to go to college and have a family there to help me make it through. Not everyone has a family to help them, so when things get to hard they drop out. They do not get yo have all their hopes and dreams come true. I have seen first graders this year that told me that want to go to college when they get older, but if it gets to hard they will not go. This just shows me that people do not help these children and tell them to push through things will get better in the end. I want to be able to help these children to follow their dreams.

I am happy that a came to this school. I knew that before I came I would have to work hard.

Anyone can attend this school. They must be a hard working student and welling to push to get things done.

Lebanon Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.