Lebanon Valley College Top Questions

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to avoid procrastination and work progressively on assignments. Because of all of the work that is assigned during college, I needed to make a quick transition to get myself used to working steadily on papers and other assignments to make sure everything was finished and turned in on time. Also, I would have told myself to be more involved with fellow classmates, because in college I am working with other classmates very often and wish I would not have been as shy towards the beginning.

I would tell myself to work harder in high school. During my college interview, I found out I was just below the requirement for a scholarship. In a graduating class of 600 people, I was 6 ranks below the cutoff. I knew college would be hard, but I had no idea what was coming. For the past year I have worked 3 jobs simultaneously while attending college full time, and I have recently added an internship to my list of responsibilities. The summer before my first fall semester I worked 80 hours a week and saved every dollar I had. Less than a year later everything I have saved is gone. In high school I worked, and saved a little, but I wasted a lot of money in those years that I wish I had now. And I would tell myself to enjoy high school, instead of longing for graduation as badly as I did. And I would tell myself to never underestimate the little pleasures in life, someday that'll be all you'll have.

Chase

I would tell myself to go to a more prestigious school with a lower tuition cost. I wish I would have gone to Pennslvania State University or St. John right away instead of spending money on a private school.

I would tell myself to start off at Lebanon Valley, instead of transfering from a community college. I would tell myself to try to be more open and ready to accept the college life, that everything will be fine, I will make friends that will last a life time. To work hard and I can accomplish anything that I can put my mind to. I would basically tell myself to have more confidence and to work harder on my academics to get farther a head in less time. I would tell myself to learn how to stay organized and be more efficent with all my work inside and outside of the classroom. If I work hard now I can have fun and hang out with my new friends on the weekends. I would also tell myself to relax and take deep breaths, because I do need to keep calm and keep working hard.

Stay the course. Do not give up on your dreams. Life is too short to doubt yourself. Push harder than you ever have. Love, laugh, and cry, but most of all, enjoy it because it will go by way too fast.

Take your time. You may feel lonley and you will get homesick. It gets easier and more fun, and soon you will never want to leave school. Make sure you like your friends. Having bad friends by your side makes the transition significantly harder. Also, if you don't get along with your roommate, find a new one! It will make your college life more fun and less stressful having a friend in your room instead of an enemy. Also have fun. Go to parties, and join a bunch of clubs. They are great ways to meet new and lasting friends.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, my biggest piece of advice would be to take school seriously and learn good study habits. The hardest part of my first semester of college was teaching myself how to study. In high school studying was not a huge priortiy of mine and now that I am in college I wish I would have taken the time to learn how to study and what works best. College professors expect a lot more of students than my teachers in high school ever did. I wish I would have known how important it is to read your textbooks in college because when it comes to exams many professors expect that you read the chapters in the text book. Even during lectures professors expect that students read and are prepared for discussions or prepared with questions. I wish I would have known in high school that there are many distractions in college and it is important to learn to manage time wisely and get work done in a timely manner. Procrastination is evil and I would advise to myself would be to avoid it whenever possible.

Hayley

If I could go back in time and give myself some advice about college, I would tell myself to ignore what other people were telling me I should do once I graduated. My parents, especially my mom, always told me that I would make a great teacher-- having weekends and every summer off were great bonuses too. I enjoyed being around children, so it seemed like a good idea. The problem with this aspiration was that I do not like talking in front of groups of people-- no matter how old they are. In high school, I loved listening to and playing music. I would go back and advise myself to ignore what my parents were encouraging me to do, and to focus more on pursuing my love of music. Because I hesitated in abandoning my goal of becoming a teacher, I am a year behind my other music classmates in the requirements for my degree. I also lost the opportunity of strenghening other skills that are needed to succeed in this field. I do not regret losing that time, but I wish I had followed my own instincts on what I wanted to do after high school.

Anderson

I would tell myself to be more focus on the transition from home to college. to be more prepare, and be ready to step out my confort zone to interact with other culture other than my own. also i would tell my self to developt good time management skills so it would be easier for me as i am getting adapt as a freshman. i would telll myself to develop good study habbit early and good test taking skills.

I wish I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school to talk to myself. If I knew half of the things I know now going into college, I think I would have had a more successful first semester at college. First off, I would definitely tell my past self that college is totally different from high school. I would tell myself that high school really does not prepare you for the rigorous course work in college. I mean, yes, high school prepares you with basic skills of reading, writing, and mathematics, but high school does not teach you how to study. I would make sure to tell myself learn how to study while the material is easy. However, everyone probably knows they need to study, and I even told myself that going into college. I would tell myself that I need to expect to study A LOT. Lastly, I would advise myself to learn how to manage time. When you think you have so much free time, in reality you don't. You can't change the past, but knowing what I know now will help me improve in the semesters to come.

Carleigh

In order to ensure a socially, academically, and emotionally successful transition to college you should guide your decisions upon the following advice. Open your mind to new people, ideas, and opinions. Sign up for at least one activity. Make friends besides your roommate. Work at least a day ahead on homework. Seek help at the first sign of trouble. To find help contact your RA, professor, peer tutoring, or peer counselors depending on the problem. Say yes to new and nondangerous experiences. Staying in your room 24/7 will not make you happy or successful. Spend time in social areas such as lounges, you never know who you will meet and you can do your homework there too. Do not go home until fall break! The first month of transition is critical. Going home during this vital period will sever possible social ties that you could have made, making it harder to create a home at college. Going home during this time will only make it harder to return to school. If you wait, you will be able to go home and still want to return to school. Follow this advice and you will be successful in your new home.

If provided the opportunity to talk with my senior self, I would encourage her to stay involved in many extracurricular activities, which will help her prepare for the hectic college lifestyle. I would let her know it is not necessary to cram her schedule with extremely difficult classes to prepare for college, and would assure her it is not the students who take difficult high school classes who do well in college, but rather those who apply themselves, work hard and seek help when necessary. I would also advise her not to be afraid to request a tutor in college, because even “A” students use tutors. Learning to take initiative for her studies and manage her time will best prepare her for this next phase of her education. Knowing that division three colleges have competitive athletic programs, yet view academics as the priority, I would encourage my senior self to play collegiate soccer. After learning that being a part of a sports team builds lasting relationships, choosing not to play soccer is my biggest regret. Being a part of a sports team helps new students adjust to campus life and provides study breaks, which are crucial to learning in college.

Jeff

It is not that opportunities like the ones in college will never present themselves in another form later on, but it is that so many different opportunities will be presented at one time at one place. Take advantage of any opportunities you can become involved in. Get as involved as possible. It will increase your connections, job skills, and also keep you out of trouble that comes with an excess of free time.

Jasmany

Your undocumented status should not define who you are and how you conduct yourself. Despite the disadvantages that you have in pursuing a higher education, the possibility of succeeding in your academic goals is still attainable. The struggle may be tedious, but it will be worth the fight once you achieve what others do not even dare to attempt. You should not let your friends and peers in high school distract you from doing your best in your academics. Concentrate in your classes and study hard so that you can attend a four-year university. In other words, it doesn’t matter if you have a lot of friends or if you’re popular because that will not be worth much once you’re done with high school. Your academic achievement will define who you are and where you go in life. Don’t get hung up on girls because at this young age, you kids don’t know what you want or what is best. Don’t let what you believe “love” is blind you from the reality of life. Your career comes first and then love. Overall, try your best. It will pay off in a few years.

I would tell myself to enjoy the college experience more. Grades are important, and failing or losing scholarships certainly isn't an option, however once you graduate, it won't matter whether you had a 4.0 or a 3.4. You won't remember the Friday nights spent in the library or music practice rooms, but you will remember the party with friends, or the impromptu road trip.

I would advise myself to not be so nervous about the transition. I thought I would be extremely homesick, but I never felt homesick once. LVC is great at helping students make the transistion to college life, and I am so glad that I chose this school to continue my education.

Annie

I would tell myself that college is an important decision but not to get overly worried about it. I would also tell myself to explore more college out of state and such.

Study more and retake the SATs.

If I had the chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would do many things. First, I would tell myself to take as many college classes during high school as I could. In high school I had made the mistake of not doing this when I was offered the chance. College classes in high school really make a different a fellow high school graduate of mine actually graduated a year early in college from doing so. Next, I would tell myself to dedicate more time studying materials than I did in high school, after I started studying heavily in college my grades skyrocketed compared with my high school grades. The most important thing with studying was to find the right place to study and to be around people that also want to learn from the study session. The last thing I would tell myself is not to do a project or study group with my friends, because generally I was the only one working on the project. Many times I had gotten worse grades when I chose to work with friends than when I worked in other groups.

Krystal

Don't be afraid, don't be anxious, don't worry. College is a whole new world, and yes, that sounds a little scary. But it also sounds exciting and exhilarating. The number of doors opening to you as you begin this new path of life are endless. If something catches your interest, look into it. Try a new sport, join a club, make new friends. With every year, the "real world" gets closer. Enjoy being young and being free. There isn't anyone to hold your hand, but don't get scared. Savor each new step and each new experience. But never forget why you're in college; keep your eyes on the prize. So have fun, explore, drink in the adventure, but remember to carefully allot your time so that you don't fall behind. Come out of college on top, with not only the best grades you can acheive, but the greatest experiences you have ever had as well.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to relax. I would tell myself that college is a huge adjustment that takes hard work and dedication to successfully acheive. However, I would remind myself that worrying and stressing is just a strain put on the mind that could otherwise be used to think and acccoplish something of more importance. I would tell myself that time management will be key in college and is something I should put a great deal of thought into. I would tell myself that college is a life experience based around academics, but that there is so much more to learn other than what is taught in class. I would tell myself that college is a once of a lifetime chance to take all the opportunities given and in turn take away something valuable from each one. In saying all this, I would go back to my first point, relax. College may seem like a whirlwind, but by staying calm and controlled you can tackle anything thrown your way.

Mallory

Don't make excuses for not getting your work done when things aren't going according to plan. Push through the stress and anxiety, and focus on school work first. It's difficult to find a group you fit in with at first, however don't let that get you down. Everyone struggles to find friends. You will eventually have a stable social life. Don't let that be your main goal of college. Put your needs and career goals first. Financial aid isn't easy to come by, so don't take it for granted. Always seek advice from professors, parents, friends, etc. They are more than willing ot help you. If you're struggling, let someone know. Work hard, put yourself first, and don't make excuses. People will respect you more if you do these things, and everything else will fall into place.

I would advise myself that LVC is a very small school and is about 2 hours away from home. I would also adivse myself of the cost to attend this college. I would want to tell myself to make sure the cost of the school does not outweigh the cost of my future career. I would advise myself I could attend any state school for a fraction of the cost and still obtain the same degree.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I wouldn't tell myself much. I believe I chose the right path and transitioned into college life smoothly. However, I would tell my high school senior self to apply for as many scholarships as possible. There are tons out there and a little here and a little there adds up. Just a little extra money is out there to help my college self pay for books so my parents don't have to, considering that they have 3 other kids they have to send to college after me. Oh and one other thing I would tell myself is that when your college professor emphasizes something in the book make sure that I read it!!!

Brody

If I was to travel back in time, I would tell myself three simple things. Stay focused. Study hard. Have fun.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have a lot to say. I would start by telling myself to keep trying my hardest; "seniorist" gets the best of us all but it is important to keep doing your best until you graduate. It is just as important to keep driving yourself towards your goals if you want to succeed. Along with this advice I would remind myself to keep setting small acheivable goals that lead to my ultimate life goals. This method helps to keep you on track. I would also advise myself to apply to every single scholarship that I could find and to make sure the applications were perfect. College is expensive! I would tell myself to practice time management, procrastinating is the easiest way to get behind in your classes not only in high school but even more in college. College can be stressful but if you learn to properly regulate your time it goes a lot easier. Lastly I would tell myself to relax and prepare over the summer, for the great new experience that lay ahead.

Lynnea

If you are not sure about leaving home yet to live on a college campus, try commuting to a college first. Apply for scholarships a long time before you leave. Try to look for places where you can get used textbooks, they are very expensive to buy new. Get involved in college clubs and activities, it gives you a chance to meet a lot of new people.

Trinda

While the transition from high school to college may seem mainly as a transition from living at home to living on your own, it also causes you to change a lot as a person. Staying strong and confident is key, the changes that occur with classes, friends, and family can cause a lot of stress and can affect your grades and attitude about life. You become a stronger person, as well as finding out your strengths and weaknesses. Another important piece of advice is to not change to fit in, college is not about popularity or socializing, in the end it's about getting a good education and degree that will help you later in the career field.

I think the number one thing I learned at college so far is how to effecively communicate. Communication is so important and many of the people in my generation don't know how to effecively communicate. It is going to set me and my fellow classmates apart when we graduate and look for jobs.

Travis

The school taught me a lot about the subjects I took as well as how to learn, research and collaborate with my peers.

College helped me to be a well rounded person. I was able to apply brainstorming techniques at my current job. The interpersonal speech class has taught me how to listen to others and to understand their different personalities. My public speaking and acting classes helped me to project my voice and not be afraid to speak in front of others. My storytelling classes helped me to break out of my shell and be creative and imaginative. I was not afraid to try different and new things. It also gave others in the class the strength to break out of their shells because someone else had done it first. I was glad that in someway I had made a small change in others.

Krystal

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience. I have learned that I have to push to do my best thing do not always come easy to people. I have also learned that I am vey lucky to be able to go to college and have a family there to help me make it through. Not everyone has a family to help them, so when things get to hard they drop out. They do not get yo have all their hopes and dreams come true. I have seen first graders this year that told me that want to go to college when they get older, but if it gets to hard they will not go. This just shows me that people do not help these children and tell them to push through things will get better in the end. I want to be able to help these children to follow their dreams.

Caitlyn

Throughout my first year of college, I have learned several valuable life lessons. I have been fully emerged in a diverse field of study and have taken several classes which have expanded my knowledge of the world around me. I have become more accepting of those who are different from me by understanding the ways in which they are similar to me. My college experience has also taught me the value of hard work, and the rewards which can be won from honest work. The knowledge that I have acquired has been rewarding in itself. It is a great feeling to have the knowledge of history, science, math, etc. I believe that everyone should have a chance to attend college so that they can realize the benefits of a further education.

I feel I have learned more in the last three semesters I have been at LVC than I learned in my entire school career. If I didn't understand something the professors were always right there to help and to answer questions. Strangers here have become family and I wouldn't trade them for the world. The people here are welcoming and helpful. There are numerous clubs and a variety to chose from so everyone is sure to find something that interests them. My classes are small and all my professors know my name and support me. I feel if I had gone anywhere else I wouldn't have memories near as great as I do now. I wouldn't trade the last three semesters for the world.

I will start my first semester as a freshmen in a few days. My first impression was that everyone was really nice and friendly. I am also learning that I have a lot more responsibiliites to worry about now. Such as buying text books, paying for school supplies, and getting myself out of bed in the morning to attend class. You also have to think more about your needs rather than your wants. Finding a way to afford school with out coming out with too much debt is also a major concern. Everything is up to you now, with how you want your schedule to be and how your going to plan around eating, sleeping, studying, and working all at the same time. College is valuable to attend because of the expierences. First of all you are on your own except if you are planning to commute, there are also many things that you have to juggle in a day, and then you also meet some people along the way leaving lasting friendships. College is a time to grow up, change your mind, and then figure out what you really want in life.

Karly

I’ve gotten so much out of my college experience that it’s difficult to know where I should begin. I believe the most important thing I have gotten however, is the added experience of understanding of the different cultures and beliefs that others have. My favorite classes have been those that the Professor allowed for us to have open discussions that at times, would result in somewhat heated arguments. It’s beautiful to see people stand so strong for what they believe. It’s been so valuable for me to attend, because it inspires me to do stand strong, as well as to continue having respect for others’ beliefs and opinions about a subject.

I have learned how to interact and work together with individuals that are different from me. It has been essential in growing as a student, future businesswoman, and human being. Where I was uncomfortable and unsure of individuals of other cultures, I am now more culturally aware and accepting. I welcome new ideas and new information. I understand and value the differences of those who have had experiences that vary from my own as that is what makes schools, as well as companies, successful. If I had not attended college, I would have not been exposed to as many students, professors, and guests who have taught me about other cultures. Similarly, I would not have learned why the differences in diverse classrooms, companies, and countries are necessary in working together to better the human race.

Through my freshman year I met a lot of different people and went through many different experiences. I loved all of my classes and learned so much, not only in but out of the classroom as well. All of these experiences help me become a better person and allow me to open up my mind to different things and people. I have learned different ways of looking at things, which will help me in the future. Living on my own, with different people is an experience in itself. Everything about college is valuable to me because every experience is a learning experience. In the end, having gone through these things will only make me a more valuable person.

So far in college I have learned about time management. Time management is very critical especially being on time for classes. Attendence is very important at Lebanon Valley College and it affects ones grade if too many classes are missed. Responsibility is another key factor in the college experience. Being on your own for the first time is scary but you can not get crazy and party all the time. Grades and classes are what is going to help you strive towards a particular goal. While in college I learned how to be responsible for myself and not get involved with someone who will try to crush my dreams. It has been very valuable to attend college because it has taught me a lot of life skills, such as being on my own, doing my own laundry and anything else that is required to live on your own. The biggest value would be learning the new material without having the teacher spoon feed the information to the student like in high school.

Be prepared to study and read in college much more than you did in high school. When you get into college, the professors still notice the little things that high shool teachers do and they will notice if your grades slip or if you miss homework. Be ready to motivate yourself. Don't procrastinate as much as you did in high school. Learn to study while there are distractions around..

Dear Sarah, The most important piece of advice that I could give you would be to have more confidence in yourself during your senior year of high school. You spend too much time doubting your abilities when you have no reason to. You constantly ask yourself, ?What if I?m not smart enough for college?? and ?Do you really think you?re capable of playing college soccer?? Well, of course you are Sarah . I know from experience that you are the most determined person I know. You will not settle for last place or for a B in that biology class. So simply relax. You will get accepted to college. You will make the women?s soccer team. You will also make plenty of new friends and still manage to keep in touch with the one?s you leave behind at home. There?s nothing you can do about those sad and nervous feelings that you have about leaving home, but know that it gets better. College is going to be awesome Sarah. You will thrive as you take on the new responsibilities, come across the new opportunities, and face the new challenges ahead. Love, Sarah, your new college self

I would advise myself to not worry about college. I would tell myself that the most important thing is to allow myself to open up and be willing to meet more people. I would also tell myself to keep up with scholarship applications, because that would only make my life easier in the long run.

Remember that it's OK to talk to Upperclassmen and Professors, they really are willing to help you. Also, make sure to study everything, even if you think it might not be important, and to attend even the most boring classes.

Gala

I dropped out of school in the 10th grade. If I would have stayed in, I would have graduated 1972. I would never have dropped out of high school. In order to join the military, I had to go back to get a G.E.D. After 14 years of the military, I decided that I didn't want the military life anymore. It became hard to find a job, and when you did, it was promised to someone's relative. I decided to go back to school. The main reason I want into the military was for the education benefits. After a while, congress decided to add the VEAP program, which was not what I wanted. I left the military, though the buyout. In order for me to continue my education was to apply though the Voc Rehab program. I'm now paying back $37,569, which ended up being $26, 00 after taxes were taken. I wished I had stayed in high school then. I'm 54 years old, and enjoy going back to college, my major is nursing. I should have been a nurse, back in the 70's. My only regret in life.

Keep your grades up, study hard, and make sure you do what is right for you! Do not make decisions based on what others want of you, you need to think about where you want to go and who you want to be in life. Pursue your dreams and do not ever give up!

Next year, you will be taking the next important step in your journey of life. In preparation for this transition, there are multiple components you can work on perfecting now, as a senior in high school. First of all, be sure to take your education seriously. Paying attention to courses in high school as well as challenging yourself with difficult coursework and excellence in achievement are useful skills which will be helpful in college. Additionally, fill your schedule with a variety of activities. A full schedule will force you to manage your time, one of the most crucial elements of success in college. Once at college, be friendly to your peers. Although you will feel uncomfortable and nervous at first, remember that everyone is in the same position as you are. Have no fear; these feelings will subside in time. Finally be sure to get involved with a variety of activities in college. Beyond providing escape from 24-7 studying, activities also give the opportunity to meet new people. Along with this, getting to know upperclassmen serves as a valuable tool. Since these individuals have already experienced freshman year of college, they are able to provide helpful advice. Good luck!

Relax, learn, enjoy

Be open to new ideas and search for colleges of all types in your college selecion process. Also, once you get to school, be open to new ideas and participate in classes! Be social and talk to anyone that you meet because you never will make friends if you don't talk and speak up.

Bill

The best advice I would give to myself (and anyone else) would be to explore all possible options before settling - whether that involves major choice, college choice, or even school type choice. Always make sure you are going to be happy with what you are doing; if you are not happy, you are not doing it right. Always prepare; always expect the worst; always try to enjoy yourself (within reason of course - no partying). Making good friends is paramount to enjoying yourself. Quantity is irrelevant; quality is what matters. Cliff notes - Explore your options. Do what makes you happy. Prepare, work hard, and have fun! Make friends for life!

I would give parents the advice of letting their kids pick the school that is right for them, not the school that is right for the parents. While it is imporatnat to stay within your financial budget, keep in mind the fact that you get what you pay for, and you can't put a price on an outstanding education. Also, don't be afraid to let your kids go and experience things on their own. It is important that they learn about themselves as well as their studies. Visit your kids once in while, but not too often. College is their chance to obtain their own independence and prepare them for the everyday tasks that they may face in the real world. Support your child's decisions! A loving and supporting family can make a difficult transition smooth and easy. Send your kids mail! There is nothing more exciting than opening your mailbox to find a letter or package waiting for you. Students, be yourself and don't be afraid to take chances. You WILL make friends and you WILL find your niche! Most importantly, live, learn, and love who you are!