Lees-McRae College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lees-McRae College

Lees-McRae College is a fun campus and area to be around. Located in Banner Elk, NC between two ski slopes and thirty minutes above Boone, you can always find something to do even if it involves driving there. Build in 1900, the campus is full of history and it's reflected everywhere. The scenery is perfect, fall being the best time since the mountains surround campus. Professors are always around if you need help, you can contact them if you need help or they will point you to someone who can. It's a lovely school with a great environment.

raven

Lee's-McRae was my first choice in colleges, it has beautiful scenery, small class sizes, AND I can bring my pet. If you come here for art there's so much inspiration, and if your comming here for wildlife there is plenty of it. The dorms are beautiful brick buildings and so are the class rooms. Just remember bring a sweater!

My overall opinion is that its a nice campus and a great school but they could work on updating the dorm buildings and having a kitchen in them. They could also work on getting air conditioning into the dorm rooms because it can get really hot during the warm seasons.

Joshua

I absolutely love the school, the setting of the school is the most beautiful in the east part of the united states I believe. The adventures around the school make is unique. Plenty of mountains and ski slopes, trails, hiking spots, Lees-McRae is just an outdoor adventure school. The on-campus living buildings could use moderation, they are very out-dated. The classrooms are starting to become nicer, and the academics is great but could use some work. The professors are always there to help you and push you to your best, but they lack on organizational skills.

Nathaniel

I really enjoy my program (Wildlife Biology with a concentration in Wildlife Rehabilitation) but it's got some issues. We generally don't have issues on campus but I know of a sexual assault that wasn't reported and wasn't handled correctly. We have two main dinning options that are decent but nothing over the top. The school has plenty of money but neglects lots of areas. The staff here is very nice and wonderful but those in more administrative positions seem to care more about the schools reputation (which I can understand why but don't believe is right) than some of the student cases. It is a friendly school overall and I'm glad I decided to go here but like I said before it has problems.

Lees-McRae is a small but gorgeous school nestled in between two mountains which allow students to constantly be exposed to adventure whether that be going on a long hike or snowboarding and tubing down the side of a snowy mountain. The mountains called my name and I answered and have not regretted it so far. The faculty is very kind and very approachable which makes obtaining help much easier. Some of the facilities could use some attention but I believe they shouldn't be in tip top shape due to the age of the school but should still be monitored. Access to plenty of outdoor activities has been the main reason why I rated this college so high.

James

Great place to be and the scenery is beautiful. I would encourage other students in the future to apply for the experience. There is so much wildlife here and also there is a beautiful waterfall. The snow here is also amazing, but you want to make sure that you bundle up.

Haley

It's a good school but its outdated when it comes to housing and needs to be updated. The food is not the greatest either. The class size is small, which I really like. During winter months they need to be more prepared for bad weather and ensure student safety. The lighting on campus is very bad and they don't have much even though we live in bear country. It's scary to go outside alone.

Jonathan

I love the small class size and the professors always seem to help you

Cameron

It is a great school if you love being in the mountains and love looking at a view. People go hiking for fun at Lees-McRae. Although there are many fun things to do on campus, the surrounding areas are not so fun. You would have t travel 30 minutes just to get some fast food, but those 3 a.m drives to Boone are the best with your friends. LMC is a small college though. The campus is quite small but it is like a community. Everyone knows just about everyone. Overall it is the best school for me

Autumn

I very much enjoy going to Lees-McRae College because it is located in such a nice location with plenty of outdoorsy activities to partake in. It is very big into sports because 90% of its students are athletes. I have made great memories and friends there for my first year.

Haley

My overall opinion of LMC is that it is what you would expect from a small, rural, private school. The class sizes are great, teachers offer a very personal experience and there are lots of extracurricular opportunities for students. With private though comes a fair share of rude, or snobbish people- although compared to other private schools we have a fairly friendly atmosphere. LMC is nearly completely pet friendly, which is a great bonus if you are an animal lover and we have a wide variety of majors and minors for nearly every person. It is honestly not much different than high school due to the small size, overall I enjoy it here even through the occasional annoying rift.

Jasmin

It was a nice place to live and the scenery was beautiful, but it was really expensive. Some students acted like they were in high school and liked to start drama, and there were lots of teachers who were really nice but some treated you like you were a kid and like you were stupid.

Kelsi

I adore this school and everything it has to offer in smack dab middle of the mountains. such a nice place with amazing people and a great view. taking my first tour of the school, I was overcome with the feeling over comfort and contentment. I recommend this school to students looking for an intimate and beautiful school to grow up in, to forge relationships and eventually live here at some point if that's meant for the future.

Haley

Honestly it’s a good school but the school housing is outdated. While students know there are bears on campus , the school doesn’t have many lights ensuring the safety of the students at night walking back late from library. Also in certain situations they don’t handle the safety of the students efficiently and correctly . They are a great school though because I love the small classes and community environment .