Bethlehem, PA
Lehigh University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lehigh University

Jamie

The campus is absolutely beautiful and the size and location are pretty great too. One thing I would change is the mentality of the typical Lehigh student. Bethlehem is not such a great town, but its on its way to make big improvements. The administration is decent right now, but I don't think they're really trying to keep tradition alive. There's a decent amount of school pride, but people don't go to the games enough.

Well the Movement is making a big effort to fix these problems on campus. I'm not sure how these students feel because I don't fall into one of these categories, but I've heard some big horror stories. There's not a big mix of diversity on campus, so that makes people who are "different" stand out.

Academics are good. Most of my professors are ouustanding and know my name. Students for the most part study very hard, but take no time to breath in between doing work and partying. Job placement is incredible after Lehigh. Students are especially competitive in Business and Engineering.

Greek life is huge on Lehigh, and I chose to be part of it for this reason. I'm not a typical "sorority girl," but I knew if I didn't do a sorority I probably would struggle socially. Most of the parties revolve around frat houses, and although there are other things to do, most people ignore them. The majority of socializing also involves a Natty Lite.

Very rich. Want to get wasted all the time. Politically apathetic. Slutty.

Kelly

Professors typically know your name in the smaller classes. In the introduction courses there are typically 200+ students enrolled, so it's considerably more difficult for professors to learn your name. Professors are generally approachable, however, it would be nice if more TAs were better versed in English. A lot of the math courses have these brilliant international graduate students TA-ing the course but it's close to impossible to understand them. Also, forget the administration, with the exception of the Deans and Transportation Services, it's impossible to get in touch with them. The department chairs and various Deans, however, are much easier to meet with and are often very helpful.

Brooke

The best thing about Lehigh is that every one seems really happy to be at Lehigh. If I were to change one thing, I would improve the safety of the dorms. People are easily able to swipe in and out of buildings. I like the size of the school because I recognize people everywhere I go but there are still a lot of people I can meet. Bethlehem is not much of a college town so Lehigh seems to be a bubble.

Lehigh is known to be somewhat of a homogeneous campus, however recently admissions seems to have increased diversity. I think the only type of student that would feel out of place at Lehigh is someone who is unwilling to meet new people because you have to be very outgoing to meet people on this campus.

Not necessarily. Not every one at this school has a lot of money however most do have to work hard to do well.

Professors do know students really well. Something I find really good about Lehigh professors is their constant communication with students. Emailing, blackboard, and sometimes even calling professors is not unordinary. Lehigh seems to be focused mostly on getting their students a successful job upon graduation, but it seems that's the reason most students go to such a well respected college anyway.

The most popular organization is definitely the Association of Student Alumni because it connects alumni with students, gives tours of the campus, and even helps with the admissions process. Fraternities and sororities are also extremely popular here because greek life is a huge aspect of Lehigh.

Spoiled, rich, hardworking, party animals

Matt

School spirit is at a minimum, football is ok but most leave after tailgates, you won't see many students at any other events on campus. There is no college town, most students never wander off campus.

There are many groups focused on diversity at Lehigh and they get there message out, but Lehigh is still a white school and about 60% male.

Education is more geared towards learning than getting a job. Professors will know you if you make an effort or if you're in a small enoiugh class.

You can find a party just about every day of the week if you look for one either at a frat or off campus.

Paul

Best thing about lehigh: first semester. between tailgates and open fraternity parties TWO things I would change: the desire of the police force to give anyone under 21 an underage drinking citation, and the difficulty of classes. The size is just right Anyone who has heard of the school is usually impressed unless they have a relative who went to an ivey. Most of my time spent on campus is with my friends in different fraternities. Just because you arent in one doesnt mean you cant hang out at one. what college town? Lehigh's administration isnt the greatest. From the horribly arranged payment system to how they handle "incidents" ranging from fooling around in the dorms to underage drinking is somewhat ridiculous. Biggest recent controversy: a pledge from one of the fraternities was found with a BAC of .505. That fraternity is now in tons of trouble School pride is in its prime during football season. nothing unusual about lehigh

No negative experiences really, I noticed that different races tend to shy away from others. A non-white student may feel out of place, however there are tons of non-whites (including one of my best friends) who feel fine and represent what diversity really should be. Students don't wear anything unusual to class for the most part, every now and then a student will be dressed in a suit (for an interview usually), but there are also some super-preppy kids who don't hesitate to wear a pink polo with a popped collar and khakis to class. Different types of students interact, however they tend to group together whenever possible. Four tables in the dining hall: 1) athletes 2) greek/preps 3) studious/quiet/shy kids 4) any frat boy or sorotity girl that doesnt dress ridiculously on a daily basis. A good amount of Lehigh kids are from jersey, PA, or Long Island. Wealthy financial backgrounds are most prevalent. Students aren't nearly as political as students in places like DC (georgetown, GW, american).

not completely, although there are alot of very "well off" jersey kids

Some professors know my name, it depends on the professor really. Favorite class would be anything in the business school, least favorite would be any pre-med related class which requires endless amounts of memorizing. Students study a good amount, sometimes i feel like they do a little more than some of my friends from back home at state schools. Class participation is usually 5-10% of your final grade in alot of classes. Intellectual conversations? sure, probably nothing like what goes on at iveys. Students are too competitive sometimes. Most unusual class was probably english first semester, my teacher was crazy (not everyone will have that same experience) My major is undecided, however I have taken classes from almost every category (with the exception of the engineering school). For the most part, business classes are the easiest, however pertain to your career beyond college more than pre-med classes. I have spent time with one professor outside of class for extra help. They are usually available a couple days a week if a student needs them. The academic requirements are fine, class difficulty is not Lehigh is geared toward getting a job. Their LUCIE program (alumni offering students jobs) is one of the reasons I came to this school.

Most popular groups are definitely Fraternities/Sororities and club sports. I am involved with the school newspaper, it requires a night of alot of work when an assignment is due. Dorm doors are hinged and students are told to not prop them open, however social students leave them open. Wrestling, football and basketball get the biggest turnout. As far as dating goes, there are only a few nice restaurants to take someone out to, the movies are inaccessible unless you have a car (not a freshman). A good amount of my closest friends lived in my freshman dorm. Awake at 2am on a tuesday, not much is going on, video games with friends or AIM. Traditions to note: Lehigh/Lafayette football game, Greek week, and sundaze (concert). People party alot, 4-7 times a week depending on the time of year or if finals are coming up. Fraternities/Sororities are very important since there isnt much else to do on a weekend in Bethlehem. Last weekend I was on spring break, but a usual weekend has some beirut and a few parties thrown in there. The university usually has things happening on saturday nights, from comedians to bands to guest speakers. Off campus there are usually keg parties.

Rich, spoiled, white north jersey kids

Harper

lots of drunks. campus is moving off campus which is a hell hole. school is trying to eliminate greek life despite "trying to help us"

to an extent yes, but you can learn to deal with it.

jewish. rich. new jersey scumbags.

Shannon

The best thing about Lehigh is that everyone is part of such a community. I recognize enough faces walking to class that I feel at home, but not so many that I feel like I know everyone. One thing I would change is the administration's attitude towards Greek life. I am not Greek, but sometimes they can be a bit harsh. The fact that fraternities are routinely kicked off the Hill is absurd, excepting when that motion is merited, which, as far as I can tell, it is not always. When I tell people I go to Lehigh, most people ask if I'm an engineering major. I am, but that's not really fair to ask. Lehigh's business school is also amazing, and although most everyone calls the arts and sciences college the "College of Arts and Crafts," it is also amazing. When on campus, I spend most of my time in Hawk's Nest (a late-night eatery on campus) or in the library. I spend a lot of time in my dorm room too, but the hallways are always bubbling with something going on, so it's not like I feel locked up. Lehigh's administration is good, for the most part. Sometimes it is a bit harsh in dealing with Greek life, but it is usually good. Most administrative department are really friendly and willing to help you out, even if that means bending the rules a bit. Things are pretty relaxed. The biggest recent controversy was the thievery of the waffle iron from Rathbone. I'm told it was part of a pledge event for one of the fraternities. The staff at Rathbone had a minor panic and tightened up security for a few days, but that was it. I think they're buying a new waffle iron sometime soon. Lehigh has TONS of school pride. People are constantly wearing their brown and white and people love talking to tour groups about how awesome Lehigh is. The rivalry with Lafayette is also pretty intense and most athletic events are well attended. Lehigh is very unusual because it is built on a mountain. Many aspects of life here are somewhat different because of this. For instance, kegs are banned on campus because some fraternities used to roll them down the hill and make pledges jump over them. You also try not to go back to your dorm more than once during the day because most of them are uphill. You also get used to the fact that almost every building here is built into a mountain. So, you generally enter a building in the front on the first floor and exit out the back on the third floor. There's also a bus that takes people up the hill. The hill is a good thing though. Everyone here is in pretty good shape from hiking to and from class every day.

I come across a lot of different groups on campus and everyone is really accepting and open. I can't think of a student that would feel out of place here. We have people of every shape, size, color, and orientation. Most students wear sweats or jeans and a t-shirt to class, as well as Uggs, if they are female and it is currently colder than 50 degrees outside. Almost everyone is really casual, but there are still some people who dress up a bit more. One of the four tables would be athletes. One would be musicians and thespians. One would be female engineers, and the last one would be the craziest of the craziest frat brothers. They all get along though. Some people would sit at a different table every day.

It's true that most students are from mid-Atlantic states, but certainly not all. Lehigh is a pretty diverse place and is home to students from many states as far away as Hawaii and countries that I've never even heard of. It's true that the students that are big partiers are also performers in the classroom, but by no means is the majority of the student body out at frat parties most nights. It's also true that Greek life is big here, but not so huge that you won't have a social life if you're not Greek.

In the big introductory lectures, professors don't know your name unless they've seen you in office hours. But beyond that, all my professors make a real effort to learn names. I haven't had a bad teacher here yet. I've had some really awesome ones and some average ones. My favorite class was my Calculus II class last semester. The professor was hilarious and very approachable, as most here are. I've never had a professor that was too busy to meet with students. Class participation is pretty common. Most Lehigh students are smart and know it, not necessarily in an egotistic kind of way, and try to show that they want to be here. Lehigh students don't have that many intellectual discussions and that might be one of my complaints. It all depends on who you hang out with though. I have some friends that have intellectual discussions all the time. Students are competitive, but not cutthroat. Everyone wants to do well but no one is out to beat someone else. Professors are given a budget to take students to lunch. Many use it, but not all. Nonetheless, students and professors spend time together outside of class. Professors are very willing to just sit down and have a conversation with you. One of my professors once spent an hour telling me about his nieces, nephews and grandkids. He just got sidetracked from whatever I had asked him about. Professors here are great. I would say Lehigh mostly prepares you for a job, but they prepare you to blow your future employer out of the water with how much you know and how many things you are good at. You learn for the sake of learning, but also so you can do well in your career.

Students in dorms almost always leave doors open. Athletic events and other things sponsored by the school are pretty well attended, especially the music and theater events. Those are generally incredible. The dating scene freshman year doesn't really exist. Most people let the freedom of college go to their heads for a year or so, but then start to settle down. After freshman year, many people get involved in more serious and long term relationships, but certainly not everyone. There are a lot of people who are single and loving it. I met my closest friends at orientation and pre-orientation. Lehigh offers pre-orientation programs where you can go do service projects in South Bethlehem or spend a few days doing outdoorsy things, like white water rafting and playing paintball. At 2am on Tuesday, if I am awake, I am in the lounge with other people from my floor doing homework and listening to music. There are a million traditions here. The biggest one is probably Lehigh-Laf, or the weekend of the Lehigh-Lafayette football game. It's all people talk about for an entire month or so. The week right before is completely insane with all kinds of giveaways, parties, shows, and other events every night. Another is Sundaze, which is a big music festival with pretty big names every Spring. Last weekend I went to an off-campus party with some friends and came back to get food at Hawk's Nest. Then we all watched part of a movie. We all started falling asleep. During the day on Saturday and Sunday, I spent almost all of my time in the library working. On Saturdays, there are generally pre-release films shown on campus and there's always something going on at Lamberton. A lot of people just hang out in the dorm and watch a movie or something too. Off-campus there are parties, but there are also some art galleries and good restaurants. I live really far from eveything off-campus, so I don't go there much, but there are definitely really good places to eat and I'm told the art galleries are awesome.

Lehigh students stereotypically come from well-to-do families from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and Connecticut. People also say that Lehigh students are big partiers, but also impressive enough intellectually to pull off both a hectic social life and demanding academic life.

Tim

Lehigh is the perfect size school because on any given day you can walk through campus and be able to say hi to a few passing friends but at the same time not know every single person. Pretty much it's hard to get lost in the shuffle but at the same time not know every single person on campus. When most people find out that I go to Lehigh, the general reaction is either one of the following: wow, that's a really tough school, or so are the parties really that crazy?

Yes, but not to the extremes of the stereotypes.

Lehigh is a party school. Lehigh is a very tough engineering/business school. Lehigh is a big wrestling school.

Shelby

I'd change the town around us - it's a ghetto. We really need to improve the area.

While the engineer thing isn't true, greek life does dominate and Lehigh students are pretty rich.

Classes and professors are pretty good.

Parties Thursday Friday Saturday. Upperclassmen go to bars.

Engineers White frat boys Rich country club & bmw types

I could go on about Lehigh forever. One of the greatest things about our school is that no matter which college you apply to-be it engineering, business or arts and sciences-you can switch into one of the other schools by simply signing a waiver-no reapplying like at most other schools. While Bethlehem as a college town kind of sucks-it does fit all our needs-I am in walking distance from grocery stores, gift shops, eateries, and both a cvs and rite-aid. There's also movie theatres and a good mall complete with a cosi only about ten minutes away, so location isn't much of a problem. Another awesome thing about Lehigh is the size. I had such a hard time finding a school that was bigger than 2,000, but small enough that i had a sense of familiarity. I am a really outgoing individual and yet I still feel like i am continuously meeting people. Being a freshman on this campus might be the best place to ever be a freshman. Greek life caters to freshman as they aim to attract the best new member classes in the spring, and sports teams love new additions of their freshman recruits. Even freshman boys have it good-always being wined and dined during rush and pre-rush, playing paintball and being treated to steak dinners in phili. What would I change? While people do come to sporting events I wish we had a little more school pride, and people went to the games and not just the amazing tailgate (especially for a smaller school.) Our rivalry with Lafayette is infamous and incredible popular, and basically all our spirit is ignited in o ne week of Lehigh-Lafayette festivities. The best part about Lehigh is the people- I had a very common misconception that everyone here would be rich, spoiled and self serving, but i have honestly made the best friends, with the most real and generous of people.

Lehigh has a predominantly white middle class population. The few exceptions is a decent amount of Indian and Asian students, however blacks and hispanics are few and far between. Religious wise, there is a substantial Jewish Population, but other than that Christianity dominates. There are some openly gay individuals on campus-none of which are ridiculed or excluded from groups like fraternities-but Lehigh is not a particularly liberal campus open to all forms of differenes. It doesn't matter if you dress up or not for class. Boys and Girls alike sport sweatpants or jeans. Spandex, uggs, a northface fleece, and big sunglasses are a classic stapple for girls, where boys in polos or a t-shirt and jeans is typical for boys. The majority of Lehigh students hail from New Jersey, and then New York, Pennsylvania and perhaps Connecticut. Being a red sox fan is rare, and not always easy. Students are very career focused and all have a desire to be very successful. Politically, the campus is inactive and pretty split down the middle. As for different students interacting-not so much, unless you are in a leadership oriented environment like student senate, or the association of student alumni.

The truth in our stereotypes? Lehigh is deffinitely populatede by alot of j-crew wearing, ugg sporting upper middle class students, however, that doesn't mean everyone here is spoiled-or that even a majority of the population fits that category. For the most part, everyone I have encountered at Lehigh has been incredibly generous. Although we are most known for our engineering, and now business schools, the largest and technically most selective is the arts and science school. However, it is evident that arts and sciences does not recieve proportional funding-more students see the benefit of engineering and business investment because there are fewer majors-where as arts and science fields are more diverse and do need to be tended to more. It is a true assessment th at we work hard-the library is always full-and that we party harder-you can find a party very easily tuesday through saturday. However greek life is alot different here than at other schools I have visited-and it's not just about drinking, there is a real sense of comraderie in our greek houses and a LOT of community service and leadership education.

Academics at Lehigh really depends on major and more importantly on which college you are a part of. I've been in large classes wtih three hundred people and smaller classes with about seven. The smaller classes and even history survey classes deffinitely promote class participation, where as bigger classes are lecture based. Even still, my economics professor made sure he took at least five students out to lunch in the faculty dining room each week-taking full advantage of a program Lehigh offers to promote professor-student interaction. Students deffinitely work hard but it doesn't stunt their social life. I don't feel like I am competing against my peers that much, except for job interviews and I think it's great that Lehigh tends to foster a less competitve environment. People tend to want to do well for them-not in comparison to others. Requirements are structured but not lofty-I only had to take one math class (thank goodness) and foreign language is not required. Professors are really personal-my advisor for the last two years made sure he got to know me, what sports teams I liked and alot about my family-not just my course load. In fact some of my friends even went to their professors house for the Jewish Holiday. While Lehigh is deffinitely learning oriented-the teachers all really want you to learn for learnings sake, it's deffinitely preparing you for a job. Our career services and alumni network is formidable and really helps you do what you want to do and then find a job where you can do it. My only complaint is that our Study Abroad office is beyond lame, and because our school is a bit small the range of classes we can take is limited.

Greek life is deffinitely a defining characteristic of Lehigh-and although much of administration doesn't like it-students and alumni celebrate it. You can find a party any day between tuesday and saturday-and not just something little. If it's not on the hill-what Lehigh students call the place where all Greek houses are situated, its likely to find a team, or group of friends partying off campus. At Lehigh you don't pay a door price for a cup of all you can drink, and it's not exclusive. Anyone is welcome at a party until there is literally no more room, and the natty light or grain alcohol is free. The bar life is limited to three bars and is really reserved for off-campus seniors. The fraternity houses give all you need regarding party life and free alcohol. While the social scene is dominated by sports teams and greek houses (which sometimes cross over) gdi's (goddamn independants...or non greeks) are always welcome and can always be found at a party. Greeks, particularly girls are not afriad to go to a party of another sorority and inter-greek life competition is limited. Lehigh has a hook-up culture like no other. If you're half decent looking and drunk and want to hook-up you can, and you will. As long as you don't sleep with too many guys you probably won't be labled a whore, and people accept social promiscuity rather lightly. Dating exists on campus but more in your sophomore and junior years. Sometimes it feels as if those in relationships are a secret-and it's deffinitely more prevalent in non-greeks than in greek life. People are pretty comfortable with one another here-for instance I've never locked my door and my friends arn't afriad to go through my closet and borrow something when I'm not around-they know which things I wouldn't want them taking and they honor that. Two major traditions define Lehigh social life. First, in the fall is Lehigh-Lafayette Week. Lehigh Lafayette has the most played football rivalry in the country and we aren't afriad to celebrate. Despite that we have lost for four straight years, we definitely out-party Lafayette and thats a fact. The whole week is a drunken mess, complete with parades, bed races, a bon fire and a rally, sporting racy t-shirts that say questionable things, with graphic pictures all denoting the mountain hawks supremacy to the lafayette leopards. The second highly anticipated activity of the year is Greek Week- this is when all sororities and fraternities comptete in a week long event of festivities-and you guessed it drunken debauchery. Between parties like fiji island, and dphi mardi gras and daily beer-b-ques are events such as the dance competition, opening ceremonies (complete with togas and a theme for each house), Mr. Lehigh, a beauty competition for boys-and the girls version too, Theta Chi Sweetheart.

The common sterotypes regarding lehigh students include that we are all upper middle clas ugg and north face fleece-wearing spoiled kids with no concept of the what a dollar is really worth. In addition we get stereotyped as business majors and engineers, hard workers-but even harder partyers. The frat life is thought to be the only social scene and greek life is construed as dominant and a sole excuse to get wasted.

Lehigh University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.