Bethlehem, PA
Lehigh University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lehigh University

Nicholas

Take the college admissions process very seriously and put more effort into it than you think you need to. Switching schools is a pain that no one wants to go through, so make sure you get it right the first time by putting time into thinking about where you want to go. Visting colleges before you make your decision is entirely worth the trip, because no matter how good or bad a college seems on a brochure, it can be completely different once you're there and really inside the campus life. Once you really are sure you have a lock on the few schools that are a match for you, tailor your application to those schools to not only show your strengths as a student but also your strengths as an individual; if anything, colleges now want someone unique and more than just a "good student." The more they feel like they know you off your application, the better impression you'll make on them. And, of course, remember to enjoy yourself once you're actually in college- education, while important, should never make you miserable.

A person who likes fraternity's and likes to do while while still being able to party and have fun.

Someone who has trouble making friends might not fit in the environment too well here and might feel very isolated.

Katelyn

Lehigh University is a place where you can succeed, a place where all your goals can be met, a place where you can engage in the community, you just have to do it, get involved, and allow yourself the time and space you need to realize your dreams.

Lehigh is known for its engineers, businesswomen and men, accountants and a great international program. The Bethlehem area and campus is a beautiful place filled with many students walking up and down the hilly location. Lehigh is also known for its price, a very expensive private school, where most students are well off financially. Classes are tough and there is a lot of work to be done, however, if you are a determined student there is much hope for you. No matter what, focus on your goals, get involved in student activities, engage in the community, and find success.

Exploring the possibilities of higher education is always a beneficial investment. Taking the time to discover avenues of aid and opportunity will present a tremendously helpful hand when trying to alleviate the stresses of college life once you’ve enrolled. When you find information that you weren’t exactly looking for, this research becomes an extremely resourceful entity that brings you closer to your goals down the road. More often then not, the more I investigated, the more I discovered how to get the financial aid and academic help I needed in order to continue working towards my dreams.

Malaiya

Well, for one thing I am glad that I decided to go away to college; so far it has been a great experience. However, there were many things I wish I knew before leaving for school. Speaking to my High School self, I would tell her to not be so worried about creating a new image for myself. When people go away to school, they want be this amazing person they were not in high school, but it is perfectly fine to be yourself. Also, I would tell her to take her AP tests more seriously because they give you credits you will need to matriculate through school. I wouild tell her try not to rush into or be gullible there, friends will come and go just like high school, but to remember you are there for an education, firstly. Trying to make new friends is a given, but it is your childhood friends and family who will always be there. Respect and dont take your parents for granted because they will be paying for your education and only want you to succeed. I would tell her to be patient and be open to everyting college life brings.

If I could go back I would tell myself to be open to change. I always look back to my first semester and think of how I wasted it too busy being the same person I was in high school. The great thing about college is the fact that it changes you. I moved to the other side of the country and thought it was going to be the exact same, and when it wasn't I hid out in my room studying and not making friends. College is really what you make of it and you cant spend your whole time stuck in your ways. I think I've change my major about two times officially and about a dozen in my head. Its opened up great opertunities that I would have never choosen back in high school. My strongest words of advice would be to try everything, odds are your going to like some new things.

The campus is beautiful. There are plenty of activities to keep you busy here.

Its built on a hill and it rains/snows constantly. Its acedemically challenging and the tuition is costly.

I believe our school is best known for its engineering program. Although I am not personally in the College of Engineering, I have been questioned by countless people if that is what I am studying at Lehigh because they have heard that the program is superb. Many of my friends have also told me that the deciding factor for choosing Lehigh was that the program here was the best and would provide them with the best education.

The best thing about Lehigh is the flexibility the students have when choosing their majors and minors. Students are given a broad range of classes that they can pick from each semester and are allowed to have a major a minor in different colleges within the university. This allows students to explore many different areas of interest and they are able to fully integrate their interests in a simple schedule.

Knowing what I know now about the transition from high school into college, I would advise myself not to worry too much about making friends and taking new classes. One of the biggest things I have realized is that, as a freshman, everyone is in the same boat as me and we are all new to college. Everyone wants to make friends and fit in, so there will rarely be a time when a person doesn’t want to talk to you because they want to find new friends too. Another point I have noticed is that, in my particular case, the college classes I am taking are not extremely more difficult compared to my classes in high school, as I thought they would be. Instead the classes have a little more work and require a little more time and effort outside of class on my own, but are completely able to handle as a freshman. I would therefore tell myself not too worry as much about the difficulties in the transition and instead just be very excited to start this new chapter in my life.

Connor

The general consensus for academics at Lehigh is that courses are difficult and require plenty of time in and out of class to get a good grade. Certainly there are classes that require little time and classes that require an intense amount of time, and this depends on what major students are and the classes they enroll in. I am in the college of Arts & Sciences, which is known to most students on campus as "The College of Arts & Crafts." Depending on your major, this may or may not hold true. For example, I am majoring in Behavioral Neuroscience and am striving to fulfill my major requirements and apply to medical school. Lehigh has definitely shown me her tough side, as I have spent numerous hours focusing on chemistry and biology lectures (not to mention the three hour labs twice a week) as well as other electives and required courses. The grades can certainly be achieved for the sciences if students are willing to dedicate their time. Most of the professors who teach the various science courses at Lehigh are very reputable and are available to students that need help. Unless you are in a small class (30 students or less), have spoken to your professor after class, or your professor has an exceptional memory for names (as my organic chemistry professor does for all of his 250 students), most professors will not know your name. Although this may seem unfavorable for some students, it can be a great thing, as it allows students to go to class, focus, and not worry about being called on by name. This can help some students excel in class and beat the grading curve, since there is a great amount of competitive students at Lehigh. No matter what type of class a student is in, the individual will take away some sort of information from it. I cannot count how many times one of my friends has asked me how a certain physiological process works in our body or why humans express certain cognitive behaviors. These questions are right up my alley with my major, but there is no doubt that any student in any major would not be well equipped to answer questions about subject matter from an inquisitive peer. Lehigh offers each student this opportunity which allows students to express their intellectual abilities past the pages of a text book and apply it to real world conversations and situations.

Niomi

I think Lehigh is the kind of school that thrives on conformity, but the best part of that is it builds character for those who refuse to conform. It's an environment where you really have to make the decision on whether you're going to think for yourself or think with the crowd. Neither option is bad, it's really just a personal preference and both can lead to different successes and pitfalls. Though in some situations it is possible to witness a segregation of groups, Lehigh is a school filled with pride in it's students and abilities and once you have been sucked in we are all one fan of the brown and white. I really cannot express how much college is a place to find yourself and what you believe in, because once you have discovered that you'll always find your niche.

The most popular groups on campus are the greek organizations. Most of the greeks live at the top of campus in a section known as "The hill". The hill is usually where people go to party and meet people but other than that you can see greeks advertising or fundraising at local shops, you can see them wearing shirts around campus and there is always some type of greek activity happening somewhere on campus. That being said, you also do not have to be greek. Lehigh hosts a lot of really fun/interesting events for people who prefer to stay indoors on a saturday night or don't really like being on "The hill" for whatever reason. There are "Late night Lehigh" band performances, events sometimes movies on the front lawn or there is always a move playing in the theatre. There are a lot of options of things to do and always people to go with. The next big thing is sports. I almost feel like everyone at Lehigh is on a sports team or has been on a sports team at some point in their life. Lehigh students really show a lot of pride yearly for their teams and it only gets stronger. I think the best advice anyone can get as far as Lehigh clubs and groups is to take advantage of them your freshman year. You can learn so much and it gets harder to get involved in different things as you get older. Freshman year is prime time for socializing and people are usually always friendly.

I don't even know how to describe the students at my school. They are all so different, there is an entire spectrum of personality at Lehigh that I think goes unnoticed sometimes. There are a few instances where it will seem like everyone is alike, this is usually seen in greek activities, but even those are a facade because as individuals they couldn't be more different. The majority of the school does come from privledged backgrounds. It's not very obvious until you see limos pull up on campus or hear people speak about what their parents do. In general students at Lehigh just like to relax and have fun. There are places where different cultures can connect, LGBQTIA, and religious people also have safe places on campus. I think the one thing I would critique about campus is the amount of campus wide activities that promote socializing with people outside of your core group of friends. I think it would be nice if they had more activities like that.

The academics at my school are very competitive. The only issue is that the Engineering and Business schools are alotted way more resources than the school of Arts and Sciences. It may appear that the school offers a fair amount of opportunity for all, but it really doesn't unless you are doing your own footwork. That is the one critique I have on the academics that I wish would change. Other than that the professors are extremely helpful and really do take an interest in your success. There are many opportunities to network and get jobs, there is ample study space all around campus and they definitely provide nourishment for all neccessary late night academic endeavors.

Some of the stereotypes of my school is that it is not diverse at all and it is a school run by greek life. Though these stereotypes have some truth to them it is definitely exaggerated. A large population of the students at Lehigh are greek but it really only goes as far as an individual. There are strict rules on greek life on campus and students are always involved in multiple things on campus that are unrelated to their greek status. It is in no way a defining factor here although many students do choose to go greek. Lehigh's diversity is also very small but that's not to say there is none at all. I think Lehigh is just like any other somewhat conservative private institution, the school is really what you make of it and if diversity is what you're looking for, diversity is exactly what you'll find on campus... or it will find you!

Seth

Lehigh draws many of its strengths from the size of it's student population. With approximately 4,500 undergraduates spread across 3 academic colleges, it is the perfect size that individuals can stand out but that students can meet new people every day for all of their four years. When walking across campus, it's inevitable that you'll run into a few of your closest friends and never be lost in a crowd. This size makes it easy to form personal relationships with professors and important staff members, such as academic advisers and career services counselors. In turn, this helps when you need one-on-one help in a class, guidance in choosing classes, or assistance in writing your resume and applying to jobs. All-in-all, it is the ideal school to form lasting friendships, receive an excellent education, and get the help you need to start a career.

Lehigh students are firmly committed to the Work Hard, Play Hard philosophy. Outside of the classroom, students strive to get involved in as many organizations as possible and usually devote a majority of their free time to their extra-curricular commitments. In the spring semester, approximately 40% of first-year students will join a fraternity or sorority. Regardless of Greek affiliation, students join sports teams, student government, band and orchestra, religious groups, community service organizations, cultural clubs, professional societies, and a variety of others. With so many options, students tend to take advantage of as many opportunities as they can so that they are never left bored. Students are so involved at Lehigh that the orientation leader position (one that requires a full semester of preparation, an intensive week of training, and that students give up a week of their summer vacation) is the most competitive application process for any student organization.

Driving through Lehigh's campus, it's hard not to notice the 20+ fraternity and sorority houses scattered across "the Hill." With a student population that is approximately 40% Greek, you're bound to come across the infamous "TotalFratMove" hashtag when checking your Twitter updates. Not surprisingly, many students earn the reputation of "frat star." However, this stereotype is far from the truth for Lehigh's student body. Lehigh students come from all over the world and all over the country; from every race, every culture, every background; and each with their own unique identity. Upon arrival to campus, first-years are able to find a group of students that share any and all of their interests. Yes, Lehigh has a prominent Greek population, but that's not all there is to it.

Tyler

Best thing about this school is the fact that it is a great academic institution that also balances a huge party atmosphere. Teachers are mostly accessible and classes can be difficult. Most classes you will get as much help as you need. South Bethlehem isn't very nice, to be honest, but it does do the job. You just won't go there much. Most parties are held on "The Hill" at Frat houses, but just as many are held on Fraternity off campus houses on any given day. Dorms are alright, but some could be bigger. Lehigh is a perfect size- it is small enough to have a community feel, but even if you meet new people everyday, you will still not necessarily recognize people you know every time you go walking around campus. Some dangerous things happen if you go to the wrong places off campus though, so just don't be stupid, and go with a friend if you go off campus at all. Also, there is a lot of walking, and at least one half of the trip will be uphill.

Mostly just random hook ups, though dating does happen. Lehigh-Laf Week is huge, everyone participates, definitely biggest event on campus. Fraternities and Sororities are pretty crucial, though not everyone joins them. Greek life dominates campus.

Mostly white, but personality wise quite diverse. Guy-girl ratio has been evening itself out progressively every year.

Academics can be challenging, and many would consider them difficult. Freshman classes are typically large, but the professors are great. TA's are either hit or miss, but usually the professor can teach you what you need to know anyways. If you are having trouble, office hours with the professor or your TA are available and you can always make an appointment if you cannot make it to their allotted office hours.

"Work hard, party hard." Unofficial school motto, fits the student population.

Lehigh has such a strong Greek community, which is something that I didn't realize when applying here. I am in a sorority now, and I am so happy that I went Greek, although it was a bit of a shock in my first couple months while at Lehigh. The Greek community is great for those that are in it; however, someone outside of Greek life may feel like a bit of an outsider in comparison. There are still plenty of activities to do on campus though if you decide not to go Greek.

If I could go back in time, there is one piece of advice that I would like to give myself. I would tell myself not to focus so strongly on "what I want to do with the rest of my life". It is important to try out a variety of classes in order to see what you like. Sometimes, students at Lehigh feel pressured to join the Business or Engineering schools just so they can get a job after college. However, they end up finding that this might not be the right profession for them years after they graduate from college. The most important thing about academics in college is to find what you enjoy. As long as you find a degree in the field you enjoy and you have the drive to find experiences in this field along the way, there is no need to worry about what your future plans may be. Students spend so much time stressing about finding "the right job" or a job that will pay them a lot of money. They waste the precious years of college worrying about the future instead of enjoying the present, which is much more important.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be social and very ambitious. If you are interested in finding a job right after college in a chosen field, then the Business or Engineering schools are probably your best bet. As far as for the School of Arts and Sciences, there is often too much pressure on these students to find a job in comparison to the other schools (where there is a more clearly defined path for how to find jobs, internships, etc.).

Lehigh University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.