Bethlehem, PA
Lehigh University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lehigh University

Alexandrea

Exactly how to study for colleg exams. Theyre so diffrent from high school, no one ever tells you that

College has been the defining experience of my life so far. I grew up in small town East Stroudsburg PA. The town's location an hour from New York City and less than half an hour from northern New Jersey lead to a sharp rise in population during the early part of this decade. Most of my childhood through high school years were marked by isolation, and generally not knowing who I was. Trying out for sports teams and enjoying extracurriculars was difficult because my family didn’t have a car. Entering college I still had no idea who I was or what I enjoyed. I had immense growing pains as I went from involvement in Lehigh's Black Student Union to membership and recently Vice President of Philanthropy in my sorority. Striking out on my own to find my true identity is the story of my college experience. Learning and growing into myself has been more valuable than any class offered at Lehigh. I am ready to take on anything that life after college has to throw at me because I know who I am and what I want out of life. Nothing could be more important than that.

All of the greek life activites and life long friends

Matt

Coming into college, my goal was soley to graduate and get a good job. After my first semester, I quickly realized how much more my school had to offer. From academics to social life, I felt like every person on my campus was encouraging me to succeed. Every professor and student has a constant smile on his or her face and you can tell that they are genuinely happy to be at Lehigh. I prospered more in that first semester than I did my entire life up to that point. The lessons I learned are priceless and will be cherished the rest of my life. I look forward to coming back years later and just watching the awe on peoples' faces as they walk through our campus. It truely is an unbelievable place.

I can't say a single bad word about Lehigh. I think it is perfect and my college experience is exactly what I had hoped it would be.

Jody

I love the academics at Lehigh and the reputation the school carries with it. I'm from a very small rural town, and people are extremely impressed when I tell them that I am going to Lehigh. The professors are great for the most part, and there are great research facilities here. In my opinion, the campus is the perfect size; not too small that you know everyone, yet not so big that you get lost in the crowd. Typically if I walk across campus I will see a few people who I know well and have a random conversation with them, and getting to know people is really what college is all about. The college town really gets ripped on, and it is pretty run down. However, of you make an effort to look around for things you like you can find some good off-campus spots. Overall not that great though, kind of shady.The administration really cares about the students, much more than larger state schools (according to friends who go to those larger schools). If you ask to meet with an administrator they always reply quickly and are very happy to help. There are controversies about racism at Lehigh all the time. I'm not going to BS you, minorities may feel a bit uncomfortable at times here. However, I also know many minorities who love it here, and if you try to interact with people of different races, 99% of people are super nice and would become your friend. There is a lot of racial self-isolation here, people tend to stick with their own kind. The administration is trying hard to fix this. I really wish there was more school spirit here. For the most part, the Greeks think they're too cool to go to any sporting events (aside from Lehigh-Lafayette, of course). Thus, there are about 12 students at home basketball games, which sucks for the players. That would be the one thing I would change about Lehigh: more school spirit and loyalty to the school.

Very homogeneous. Most people are catholics from NJ, NY, or PA, and conservative. Basically, anyone who is a nonconformist will have it tough here. I'd say a majority of students have the stereotypical flip flop, plaid shorts, polo shirt thing going when they go to class, but no one really has a problem with that. It's the style anyways. A majority of people here are rich or at least upper middle class, and it shows. However, regardless of your cultural/ethnic/political/religious background if you try to get to know people and are a nice person you will get along with just about everyone here. I do not come from an economically well off family, and some of my best friends here are very wealthy, it's really not that big of a deal.

Basically the #1 truth about Lehigh... is that YOUR LEHIGH LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. If you just sit around in your room all day, don't talk to anyone and just pout about how little there is to do here, then your life at Lehigh will be terrible. By contrast, take the initiative to engage in your schoolwork and attend your professors' office hours, then you will do great academically. If you reach out and network, whether that's by Greek life, joining clubs, working, or just simply making friends, you will have a great social life. And if you come in with an open mind and engage with all of the great programs the school has to offer, then I guarantee you will be happy here.

The dominant group at Lehigh fits this stereotype, but you can find all kinds of people here

The academics have been great for the most part. Professors care about the students and are willing to meet if you attend their office hours. In terms of intellectual conversation, there are a ton of INTELLIGENT people at Lehigh but not too many INTELLECTUALS. People here are smart but typically just do their work and do it well, so they can party later. The classes (at least in the finance/economics dept) really do prepare you for the real world, and many future NYC finance employees graduate every year. You not only need to learn the stuff, but learn how to apply it to the real world.

There are tons of activities to get involved in here. There is a clubs page on Lehigh's website that lists around 40 clubs to join. Intramural sports are popular among freshman and greeks, and a majority of the people here are athletic, so there is always a basketball game or whatever going on somewhere. Athletic events are not that popular, as I mentioned before. The dating scene is basically nonexistent here. I don't know that many couples who are consistently dating/together here. Lehigh is more of a one-night hookup scene, or a 'friend with benefits' kind of thing. There are a ton of traditional events here. Football tailgates, Lehigh-Laf football game, Sundaze, bed races... some of them revolve around Greek life and some don't. Speaking of Greek life, it completely dominates the social scene here, basically because there's not much else to do here. I know a lot of people who go out almost every night of the week, and you may feel left out if you don't go out at all. In my case, I am a non-greek but I typically don't have any trouble finding parties on Fridays and Saturdays, and I like that. However, if you want the busiest, craziest, most active social life ever, go Greek. I'm more of an independent, chill guy so I chose not to, and I still go out and have a good time. A ton of people bitch and moan about the social life here, saying that if you don't go greek your social life will be shot and will have nothing fun to do. It's true that if you go greek your social life is set and then some. However, if you just sit around in your room all day and don't make an effort to go around campus and meet people/ do anything social, then yeah, your social life here will suck. However, I'm not greek and I have made an effort to talk to and make friends with all kinds of people, and I have things to do all the time.

Rich, white, and borderline alcoholics

Caitlin

Lehigh University is a small, private school that puts academics in high regard and fosters school-spirited students and a majority of these students participate in greek life.

I would say that a person that attends Lehigh would feel most comfortable if he or she was white and in the middle to upper class range and very much academically driven. One of Lehigh's downfalls is that is not very diverse and while they are working to change this, currently, it is difficult for minorities to fit in. As well, students here are very much involved in greek life so a student looking to attend Lehigh should be wanting to participate in greek life.

Life is short. While you've heard this time and time again, it is more true than you realize so stop being shy, stop worrying about what others think and just be you! You have good qualities and people will see this. If you think otherwise, you'll hold yourself back and not experience everything that college has to offer. Even though college is about classes and learning, remember that part of it is also about making friends and becoming independent. College friendships are bonds that will last a lifetime. Be who you want to become. Your slate from high school has been wiped clean, no stereotypes or bad nicknames will follow you so be the person you really are or the one that you want to become, not the person you were. Challenge yourself. Don?t just coast through college getting by be pro-active, join clubs, meet people, try new things and even take hard classes. All of these things will increase your overall quality of life and make you a better person in the long run.

Sam

Lehigh is probably best known for the engineering and business schools. Not to mention the almost 60:40 male to female ratio. ..and that we're on a mountain! The party/social/greek life also plays a big part. The "work hard, play hard" motto is a popular one.

First off, my senior was loaded with AP classes and school clubs. I do not regret it at all. If anything, I would tell myself to have taken AP Spanish on top of Calculus, Literature, and Biology. I cannot stress enough how lucky I am now to have been able to come into college with a small supply of credits already. I think i should have been more involved in other extracurriculars outside of my high school, though. Also, I would have told myself that it is ok to relax sometimes and just enjoy the time I had with the oldest friends I have at this point in time. Sure, at college you make lifelong friends. But, there is nothing like the people you grew up with and had seen in school five days a week for twelve years of your life. All in all, work hard and don't slack (no matter how tempting it is!) College applications are stressful, but you end up where you belong. Relax and don't get too worked up over everything. It will all work out in the end.

I think one of the worst things is the tendency for everything to be at a 45 degree angle and having to walk up over eighty stairs to get to the closest dining hall from my dorm. Also, for the boys greek life is pretty much a necesity.

Austin

I would go back to tell myself to not rush into any situation especially when it comes to big decisions. Making rash decisions can only retard your growing process. To make the best decision for your life entails deep thought, reflection, and self-development. Also, I would tell myself to pursue a major or career that best fits my strengths and interest. I listened to far too many other people when it came to making my own decisions such as college institutions and what I should and should not study. I would make sure to tell myself to be more aggressive when it comes to pursuing relationships whether they be friends, girlfriends, or even frenemies. The relationships developed in college will go a long way when applying for a job, internship, or even a class. If a time machine is ever built I would tell myself to pursue my own desires, be aggressive in developing relationships, and take my time when making life changing decisions.

Carolyn

It is very challenging getting around at Lehigh. There are lots of hills and stairs to get to my classes. It is also very cold at Lehigh. The weather is the only thing I don't like. Navigating the hills of Lehigh is very difficult especially with carriying books. Walking around increases my leg muscle and keeps me from gaining the freshment 15!

I would tell myself that it is your responsibility to make the most of your college carreer. You will become a responsible student in a few months. Before you go away to college make sure you know how to do your laundry, wake up on your own and most importantly manage your time efficiently. Have a good balance between school and your social life. You want to make sure you get the most out of your academics and your social life. And most importantly you don't want your studies to take a back seat to your social life. Do not go over board with having a good time. Get the most out of school!

I love that it is a smaller school. I am always able to talk to my professors and advisor. The professors are very helpful. I also like the students who attend the school. My school challenages me academically and there are a lot of activites for me to join. There is always something to do it you are not studying.

Melanie

Academics and social activities on the weekend.

Academics and social activities on the weekend.

I would tell myself to never lose sight of myself, what I enjoy, and what I believe in. I would tell myself to avoid peer pressure and always stay true to myself. I would definitely tell myself to really focus on learning not to procrastinate, because if you do it in college, it's that much worse. I would tell myself to take advantage of all the knowledge the professors possess...it's really very invaluable. I would tell myself to enjoy life, and not to take myself too seriously all the time, but only when it is important to do so, AKA in terms of things like GPA, career prospects, etc. I would tell myself to not delay getting involved, not to tell myself "oh, I'll do it next year," because next year comes and passes, as does the next, and the next. I'd also tell myself to avoid cliques, avoid fake people, and hang around people I truly admire for who they are and how they make me feel. I'd tell myself to have fun, but do it safely!

How similar everyone is...my school is very homogeneous it seems.

Brendan

Great school, great students, great professors! I am very happy with my decision to attend Lehigh University. It is top notch in every way!

Hey buddy, a word of advice. Take it from me, you will get into a college. Don't have so much anxiety over that uncertainty. I know you are really sweating it because all of a sudden you are afraid that none of the schools to which you have just applied will "accept" you. Instead, you need to know you will get into one of them and likely more than one of them, so start thinking about which one of them you will "accept." It is so crucial for you to feel happy and comfortable about where you will be making your new home for the next four years. Based on the experiences of my high school friends as well as my fellow freshman at college that it is so important to feel like you are in the right place when you get to college. What I am saying is pick carefully from among the colleges that accept you. The college you select might not be the one that is ranked the highest. That should not be your first consideration. To do well once you get to college, you need feel like you are in the right place.

Erin

Not only is Lehigh University known for its hilly campus terrain, but it is also known for its exellent schools of engineering and business. When students are looking for respected university programs in either engineering or business, Lehigh is one of the best. In addition, Lehigh is also the perfect size for a research university for the sciences with its personal interactions between professors and students. On a less academic note, Lehigh is also known for its sports' rivalry with Lafayette College and its admirable wrestling team. For me, Lehigh is best known as my second home.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about transitioning to college, I would tell myself to have more fun and to relax. During my first semester of college, I was so worried about doing well in my classes, that I didn't really join any clubs or organizations on campus because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough time to do everything. Instead, I spent all my time doing homework and studying because I was afraid of a bad first semester GPA haunting me later in my college career. Unfortunately, when I returned back to my hometown for winter break and met up with my high school friends, I didn't really have any "crazy college stories" with which to regale them, while they had plenty. I felt like I missed out on a lot of fun in my first semester compared to my friends. I've realized now that I was very intimidated by the transition to college because it was just so different from high school -- new setting, experiences, responsibilities, people. If I could do it all over, I would seize more opportunities for fun!

The most frustrating aspect of Lehigh University is the location of the campus -- on the side of a mountain! There are many hills, slopes, and stairs on campus, that by the time I get to my classes, my legs are burning and I'm out of breath. However, the advantage of living on the side of a mountain is that I don't have to worry about the dreaded "Freshman 15" because getting around is a workout in itself. It's almost a joke that we also have a gym facility on campus as well.

Lehigh University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.