Lehigh University

« See more reviews of Lehigh University

Lehigh's student body is primarily rich upper-class white students. Those who are of different race or ethnicity tend to share similar backgrounds as most students come from the New England area. Most students wear whatever they want to class with the exception of 7:55 AM classes; then they wear what they went to bed in. International students may feel out of place especially with a language barrier. Students who are not white also may feel out of place, but would not be alone. I have found different types of students interact with one and other, but organizations like UMOJA, the Asian Cultural Society, and Black Student Union further separate the races and ethnicities. People of the same race tend to hang out with themselves exclusively. However, this is not an absolute truth and many students of different race interact. The wide majority of students are from New Jersey. When in doubt I always guess that a person is from New Jersey. Everyone else is from New York, the New England area, and few are scattered around the rest of the U.S. and the world. Students are not very political. At the time of the Pennsylvania primaries the campus awakened with less than a week before the voting. Pennsylvania was a pivotal state and I felt that students were too involved with their own work and social lives to bother with politics. Students often talk about how much they'll earn one day. These students are generally engineers and business students.

Most of Lehigh's student body is white, middle-upper class, but there is diversity there in itself because there are so many different backgrounds people are coming from. Race has seemed to be a touchy topic at Lehigh recently, groups not exactly wanting to step out and talk to each other, as people tend to settle where they are comfortable, with what they know. There is a place for everyone at Lehigh, I feel. There is a place for lesbians and gays, for multicultural affairs, for substance free individuals (no drugs/alcohol etc.), for athletes, for Greek life, for people of all sorts of faiths (Christian, Jewish, Muslim), for musicians, for theater people. Lehigh has a lot to offer in catering to all these needs. If you are looking for a certain group of people to hang out with, chances are you will find them. I would like though, that there be more intergroup interactions, but its not a problem with Lehigh students, but it's just a problem people have in general stepping out of their comfort zones to meet new people.

I don't even know how to describe the students at my school. They are all so different, there is an entire spectrum of personality at Lehigh that I think goes unnoticed sometimes. There are a few instances where it will seem like everyone is alike, this is usually seen in greek activities, but even those are a facade because as individuals they couldn't be more different. The majority of the school does come from privledged backgrounds. It's not very obvious until you see limos pull up on campus or hear people speak about what their parents do. In general students at Lehigh just like to relax and have fun. There are places where different cultures can connect, LGBQTIA, and religious people also have safe places on campus. I think the one thing I would critique about campus is the amount of campus wide activities that promote socializing with people outside of your core group of friends. I think it would be nice if they had more activities like that.

Lehigh has a rep. for being not so racially diverse. It's true, but the administration is working on it. Alot of people are from NY, PA, NY, CT, MA, but I have friends from California, Kansas, Florida, Idaho, Alaska, etc. People stick around school on weekends, so it's ok to be from far away. I only go home on scheduled breaks. Lehigh is not politically active, which can be frustrating for a poly sci major, but that doesn't mean they are not interested in what is happening. They will have smart converstations with you, it's pulling people away from their schoolwork and friends to do something in the larger community that is the tough part. There really is no norm as far as financial stuff goes. There are rich people, there are people who are on full ride, need-based scholarships. There are lots in between. Some are in school to get an education that will get them a job that will make them money. For others, it is the furthest from their mind.

In my past three years here at lehigh I have seen a lot of change....they are really trying to have a more racially diverse campus and you can actually notice the change this year. LGBT students are common. The majority of Lehigh students i would say are very similar.... in style and in thought haha im just kidding...but not. I dunno there are definitely your typical frat and sorority kids but once you get past how much they love themselves you can kinda like em. Classic class look is spandex and uggs, not always a flattering fashion but the girls here really seem to enjoy having their shit hang out all over the place...not me...normal people wear jeans.

very waspy campus few minorities, middle to upper middle class, the lgbt's i know are very quite about it out of place - black, poor, gay clothes in class - spandex, jeans, polos, college shirts, baseball caps, uggs, flipflops, t-shirts yes all types of students interact with each other four tables- each floor of the dorm has a table. People make friends with people on their hall and do stuff with those people, it doesnt matter about sex, race, etc. most students are from the north east of upper middle class i dont know much about the school;s political atmosphere we dont talk about future salaries really

Kids who don't come from wealthy families, such as myself, are in the minority here. However, that has never been a problem for me when it came to making friends or anything else. People wear pretty much anything to class. There is a lot self-segregation by minorities and international students. However there's no nothing stopping those groups from hanging out with everyone else, it's just what happens. There's a good mix of political diversity on campus. I'd say people in general tend to be conservative on economic issues and liberal on social issues.

I'm telling you, don't come to this school if your looking for a lot of diversity. A lot of the kids are from New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusets. I'd say most of the people I know are from middle to upper class families from these states. I'm not saying that the school is segregated in terms of race or whatnot, but there's just not a lot of options in terms of meeting "different" people. Let's just say the girls all wear uggs and its not uncommon to see a BMW being driven around campus.

Lehigh is a very clicky school. The minorities tend to stick with each other, the athletes stick with each other, and then theres everyone else. I find that a lot of the guys are really "macho" but those are the ones you notice because they are loud and annoying. Lehigh has a very diverse group of people. My freshman hall could not have been more diverse. Different types of students do interact, but it is rare when they stick together. Most students at lehigh are from South eastern Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

Lehigh's students are all very different but there seems to be mostly white, preppy kids at Lehigh. There are definitely all different kinds of group but the typical Lehigh student is the kid who wears JCREW, boat shoes and drives a Audi A4. Everyone at Lehigh seems to get along. Athletes tend to stick together I guess and non-athletes enjoy interacting with the athletes when they get the chance. Most Lehigh Students are from the east coast and especially NY, NJ, and PA.