Lehigh University

« See more reviews of Lehigh University

Academics are very good at Lehigh. I know all of my professors and recitation teachers' names. My favorite class thus far has been intro to global studies and intro to sociology. My least favorite class was English second semester which focused on slavery and hip hop, and my freshman seminar - excursions in mathematics. With the exception of my seminar the biggest reasons I liked or disliked a class would be because of the professor. Class participation is common in certain classes, English, math, recitations, but not big lecture type classes like my intro classes. I feel there is a lack of intellectual curiosity outside of the classroom, but this may because of the people I surround myself with. There are few political discussions, few discussions about what students are doing in their classes and what they enjoy and want to pursue. This is an issue for me. Students are not too competitive, but if I were an engineer or had declared a major I may find a great deal of competition within certain classes. The most unique class I've taken is global studies. I have had little experience in the classroom being that I just finished freshman year, but this class had assignments that were applicable to the real world like policy papers or "white papers" and discussion of current events. I have spent time with professors outside of class, but the bigger classes with recitations I spend time with the recitation teachers instead. The academic requirements seem reasonable for a general degree, but as a business student the requirements seem like they are too much. Engineers too have their four years laid out for them. Education can be whatever students choose to take from it. There are many students who learn for learnings sake and are only looking to get a great job out school. There are also other students who enjoy learning and are not looking years into the future. However, I have found much more of the former and that may change as I get older.

My classes have been overall pretty great. Two things are important: First, study something you like, not something your parents want, or your roommate does, or that has an easy reputation. If you are learning about something interesting it makes life 150% better. Secondly: check out who your professor is. While I have had some amazing professors at Lehigh, a few do suck. Generally the student population knows who they are and you can avoid them. Classes are alot of work but very managable and profs and T.A.'s are always willing to help you out. There are also free tutoring services offered. Some entry level classes are big, but as an Arts and Sciences student, I've had most classes with less than 30 people: some have had around 10! Students study alot and the libraries are packed during midterms and finals but school work does not dominate your life. You have time to pursue other interests too. One of my favorite parts about college is that I'm in an intellectual atmosphere all the time. My friends and I have very different interests and study different things but like to talk about current issues or have theoretical debates. It's so exciting! Alot of extracurricular organizations are academically based as well: the Society of Women Engineers, the club that builds race cars, the language clubs. Political Science and history departments are underrated but awesome! I love the profs, they get to know you and are providing me with an excellent education.

small classes with dedicated teachers Mgt 186 - supply chain operation management was awesome so was art 2 (ren to present) least favorite class - history 2 it just sucked study time - 4+ hours a day recommended participation is not only expected it helps! intellectual conversations out of class are everyday - turn off the tv and you would be amazed at what your friends think about students are competitive but also work well together and are always willing to help a fellow student - no one has ever intentionally screwed me over to get a better grade unique class - nothing unique per say but i remember every teacher and class supply chain mgt is a newer major, we have a great staff, 100% placement, and fun classes my advisor is awesome and i just go into his office to chat sometimes academic requirements are strict and well rounded - business school needs an ethics class not just taught in other classses lehigh's education is geared to teach you how to problem solve. they make you think for your self and how to be capable of tackling any problem you may encounter whether it be job related or personal

I am one of few female engineers, this makes me stand out in my engineering classes and my professors seem to always know my name and are always willing to help me. I am pretty sure this goes for everyone in the engineering school, but I do realize it is a bit different for my case. My favorite classes so far were my two design foundation classes where we got to work hands on 2D and 3D projects. The problem with these classes was the fact that nothing was given to us in the regard of supplies, which equated to cost quite a lot of money. I felt that the teachers really made an effort to not only understand each student's skills and talents, but also their personalities pertaining to their strengths and weaknesses. The second trouble of this class was that I had to wait to take it because it filled up so quickly because of the lack of faculty members in this department. I think, as a student who has just finished their sophomore year, that Lehigh has geared me to understand the basics of my majors. I assume the career aspect will come when I am closer to graduation.

Academics are superb at the school, our accounting department just got rated number one in the nation! The classes are generally around 30 students, unless your a freshmen or sophmore and taking intro level classes, but even so you have small recitations. Depending on the size of the class, attendance may or may not be taken for participation points and the professor may or may not know you personally. Ive had some really great experiences with professors in the business school and some bad ones, but that's going to happen everywhere. As I said, the students are deffinitely intelligent and there's lots of competition and diffcult courses. Being a business student, you get to know a lot of the people in the business school becasue there are so many required courses. The base of courses is definitely geared towards getting a job, especially if your an accounting or finance major. Overall the academics are definitely challenging but manageable, and you'll always find lots of people in either of the two libraries, before, between or after drinking!

Since most freshman classes are large lectures, you shouldn't really expect a professor to know your name, unless of course you go and talk to them outside of class for help (which is common). All professors and Teaching Assistants are required to have office hours, which students can stop by. Also Lehigh has a tutoring center as well if you are struggling with anything, so there is help if you need it. It is suggested that for every credit hour you get in class, you spend 2 hours studying outside of class. I could never study for that long, but I've known people who do study a lot. Honestly, the hardest part about college is managing your own time. No one is calling the shots for what your schedule looks like but you now, so it's a new responsibility, but once you got that down, things get easy. As I've said before, some professors are awful at teaching, but some are amazing, so if you know someone whose had a certain professor, or who has taken the class, ask them about it. You just need to know where to look. Of course opinions can vary.

All the professors have AMAZING resume's. Some of them are really weird, but as you get to upper level courses, you really develop healthy relationships with your professor (that is if you care. Its the students initiative). In my experience, students arent very competitive. We help each other out. Some students are though, you can never get around that. I am an engineer. And Lehigh has been pouring money into their business and accounting program so I am not very happy about that. But it is still a great program. They have a lot of resources available to engineers. It is one of the top research facilities in the nation for Nueroscience, material science, and we do a lot of emissions testing for general motors. I would recommend this school to a chemical engineer. The education at lehigh is definitely geared towards getting a job. You learn to deal with the nonsense of the working world (writing research papers, learning to sell your ideas etc...)

Class size is really good. You can choose classes that will be more personable or you can choose lecture size classes. The professors for the most part are great. You'll always get a few boring ones but they are extremely smart. Students spend a TON of time in Linderman Library. Students are very competitive for grades because every student has always been on the top in high school. My major is Finance and Accounting and both programs are well known and prestigious. The accountin program just got ranked #1 in the nation in a national ranking based on students. I think Lehigh requires the perfect amount of liberal arts studies. Freshman year you can get most of your requirements out of the way. Lehigh's academics are tough but SO worth the effort.

I love the class size at Lehigh. The intro classes can get a little too big, like 150 or 200 people, but these large classes all have recitations where you're broken down into groups of about 20. The normal class size I've experienced is around 20 people. The professors are all helpful and most of my professors know me by name. If I do encounter a professor that isn't helpful or I feel that I can't approach (this has happened once before) I'll just go and talk to another professor in the department. My favorite class: Architectural History 001, intro level course, but the professor made me want to switch to architecture after taking this class. My least favorite class: Biology... because apparently my and biology don't mix.

The academics at my school are very competitive. The only issue is that the Engineering and Business schools are alotted way more resources than the school of Arts and Sciences. It may appear that the school offers a fair amount of opportunity for all, but it really doesn't unless you are doing your own footwork. That is the one critique I have on the academics that I wish would change. Other than that the professors are extremely helpful and really do take an interest in your success. There are many opportunities to network and get jobs, there is ample study space all around campus and they definitely provide nourishment for all neccessary late night academic endeavors.