Lehigh University

« See more reviews of Lehigh University

GREEK LIFE is huge on campus! They're are twenty something frats and nine sorrorities and it doesn't stop there. Whether or not your in a frat, you definitely party at this school. The biggest orgonizations other than the greeks are definitely the sports teams, being a division one school definitely gives us a fair share of athletes. Personally I'm not in greek life or on a sports team, but everyone i know is or is best friends with people who are. I don't know a lot of people who aren't involved in some way or another in these two scenes, they're deffinitely are people who don't go out much and what not, but they're a small minority. Myself, I go out at least thursday, friday and saturday (sometimes tuesdays). We go out around 10:30 or 11 and stay out sometimes until four in the morning. Theree isn't a big bar scene at all, and quite frankly the only people who go are seniors who live off campus. The social scene for freshmen, sophomores and juniors in on "The Hill" and all parties are at HUGE frat houses. The two biggest events in the year, which also promote drinking, are Lehigh/Laf week first semster and greek week second semester. Let's just say they're an excuse to drink every day, all day for an entire week. In terms of dating, as of right now, just finishing out my sophomore year, they're isn't a lot of it. I barely know anyone who has or had a steady boyfriend/girlfriend for a consistent or long time. There's a lot of hooking up at my school, but no one seems to want a relationship (at least from a girls perspective). I'm not trying to say you can't come to our school if your not a big drinker, i'm just telling you how it is. You might want to think twice about what you want in considering coming here is your not planning on drinking every weekend. From my perspective, I don't know what there is to do on a saturday night besides go to a frat party.

The most popular clubs and organizations are ASA, UP, Leadership Lehigh, and intramural sports. The club sports are fairly popular and I am involved in Lehigh Unregistered, Leadership Lehigh, intramural sports, and applied to ASA, but could not get in. First semester many students left their door open as they were trying to meet new people. Second semester students did not keep their doors open as much, but many don't lock their doors. Athletic events are popular if you can drink. The football games are popular because of tailgates, the wrestling matches may be an exception but hardly anyone goes to basketball games because their are no tailgates. Guest speakers get a range of audiences, but on the whole the showings are relatively small with students having busy schedules. Theater is somewhat popular, but does not have great student turnout. The drug scene seems to be okay at Lehigh. Marijuana is very popular, but the more serious drugs have limited use. Weed is easy to get. I met my closest friends through a pre-orientation trip called OAP and through dorm life. On a Tuesday at 2 AM I am up because I should be working, but probably talking to people in the lounge who should be working too. The Lehigh Lafayette Football game as well as the week leading up to it is a big tradition. Greek week is another big one. Sundaze is a fun event UP holds each year. Saturday nights you could participate in Late Night Lehigh, events held for students who don't want to go out and party. You could go to the Hawks Nest and get something to eat, or hang out with any other friends who decide to stay in and watch TV or play videogames.

There are all sorts of different clubs and activities on campus. I can't speak for all of them, so I'll give you my experience. I'm involved in writing articles for an Opinion journal run by Lehigh students, called the Patriot. It has a kind of reputation for being overly "conservative" but it's just the nature of the people who want to write for it. It is accepting of all viewpoints really, its just by chance we have more conservative leanings. Also, I've been involved with a Christian Fellowship at Lehigh called InterVarsity. Basically, we study the Bible together to try and get a picture of who Jesus actually is while inviting others to come along as well, and we've built some very close relationships with each other, in doing community service, growing faith, and just serving each other and Lehigh when we have needs. It's just one of a couple Christian groups on campus, this is just the one that appealed to me. I wasn't exactly Christian when I first started, so it's been a process, but the friends I've made are ones that would last a lifetime. Also I've been involved with Swing Club, which is basically, swing dancing! If you are unfamiliar with it, its a 1950's style of dancing, involving lots of turns, spins, dips, flips, etc. When I first saw it, I thought it looked awesome. So I showed up, and they give lessons every week. There also a performance swing group which does shows for various events, but usually that happens second semester after tryouts. It's quite a fun workout, and there are swing dances held every so often with live bands that come to Lehigh. It's like prom, but set about 50 years ago.

Greek life is huge. I play basketball and I would say student support for athletics are pretty decent...not anything crazy like big east basketball but we have our crazy fans. Football games are always a good time. Tailgating turns into a shit show usually and you can just sit around and laugh at all the little girls who cant hold their liquor. One big change at lehigh is the gay ass police. They have been getting very serious about underage drinking and its not uncommon for students under 21 to experience an underage drinking citation...not too much fun I promise. I would say that most partying is done outside of bars...the parties on the "hill" where the frats are are pretty big and when its warm off campus is popular...usually if you are 21 around 12:30 you head to the bars...so not being 21 and not going to bars isnt a big deal if you arent a drinker there are a pretty good deal of activities that go on during the weekends....there is a lil movie theater on campus that shows free recent movies every weekend...there is like a late night diner that always has some rando activity...like rock band contest or something fun....there have been a growing amount of little concerts and battle of the bands going on and there is some sort of play or other entertainment at Zoellner. The tickets for events there are kinda pricey bc there are pretty cool things going on open to the public....but students can get discounts kids pretty much go out every night

Lots of groups, organizations. The music program is pretty fun, I've been to tons of concerts and even traveled to China with the choir! The Community Service Office and Alpha Phi Omega, the service fraternity are really great. I've been able to work in service on campus, in the South Bethlehem Community, and in the nation. I went on a spring break trip to Atlanta this year- so amazing!! Frats and sororities are big, about 1/3 of the students are in one. But you don't have to be in a house to go to a party, or attend a greek-sponsored event. Dorm life is so fun- very communal, even at the upper-class level. The campus definitly unites over Lehigh-Lafayette rivalry. The week of the football game, the campus goes crazy. The marching band plays in class, there is a giant bonfire, people stop doing there work, drink in class, and generally hate Lafayette with a vengence. It is an amazing bonding time for the student body and really brings out pride for Lehigh. Lehigh-Laf week was one of my favorite experiences as a college student. One of the suggested questions on here is: What are you doing on a Tuesday night at 2am if you're awake. I'll give just a few examples of some things that I've done in the past few weeks on a weekday night around that time: watched a movie with dormmates; made a cake; just returned from Rutgers b/c we wanted sandwiches from there; studied; played fooseball; put together a 1000 piece puzzle; talked about politics; gone to a concert.

The most popular groups on campus are the greek organizations. Most of the greeks live at the top of campus in a section known as "The hill". The hill is usually where people go to party and meet people but other than that you can see greeks advertising or fundraising at local shops, you can see them wearing shirts around campus and there is always some type of greek activity happening somewhere on campus. That being said, you also do not have to be greek. Lehigh hosts a lot of really fun/interesting events for people who prefer to stay indoors on a saturday night or don't really like being on "The hill" for whatever reason. There are "Late night Lehigh" band performances, events sometimes movies on the front lawn or there is always a move playing in the theatre. There are a lot of options of things to do and always people to go with. The next big thing is sports. I almost feel like everyone at Lehigh is on a sports team or has been on a sports team at some point in their life. Lehigh students really show a lot of pride yearly for their teams and it only gets stronger. I think the best advice anyone can get as far as Lehigh clubs and groups is to take advantage of them your freshman year. You can learn so much and it gets harder to get involved in different things as you get older. Freshman year is prime time for socializing and people are usually always friendly.

During my freshmen year, I lived in Dravo Residential Hall, and we left our doors open and became very close with our specific hall, along with other halls within the house. They were really my only friends. Some of them joined sororities and some didn't and we moved to Sayre Park Village during sophomore year. In Sayre, since we had a kitchen and living room, our door was usually closed, but there were still small events when the weather was nice which brought us together. It is really the experience you want to make it. We party every weekend, but not much on weekdays, academic work really takes over you during the week. The Greek scene is always there, which provides a place to get drunk and dance around and it is pretty fun, if you are into it. There is also an off campus scene, which involves pretty much the same thing, but on a little more of a personal level, since you usually have to know someone to know where to go. As for not drinking, the school puts on events every weekend, but I don't think attendance is very high. Once again, though, it is what you put into it. If you want to have a game night or movie night or party or concert or whatever, have one. It just takes effort.

Lehigh students are firmly committed to the Work Hard, Play Hard philosophy. Outside of the classroom, students strive to get involved in as many organizations as possible and usually devote a majority of their free time to their extra-curricular commitments. In the spring semester, approximately 40% of first-year students will join a fraternity or sorority. Regardless of Greek affiliation, students join sports teams, student government, band and orchestra, religious groups, community service organizations, cultural clubs, professional societies, and a variety of others. With so many options, students tend to take advantage of as many opportunities as they can so that they are never left bored. Students are so involved at Lehigh that the orientation leader position (one that requires a full semester of preparation, an intensive week of training, and that students give up a week of their summer vacation) is the most competitive application process for any student organization.

GREEK LIFE, there is an off campus social life too soccer club is awesome the girls are great and its pretty competitive dorm doors are always open and unlocked athletic events are attended , lehigh vs laf is the biggest turnout for football guest speakers can be popular no one dates really, they hookup it is a problem at lehigh i met my closest friends as a freshman, they lived on my hall if im up at 2 am on a tuesday it means i have a test on wednesday and i am studying as a freshman though i was probably hanging out with friends in the common room at 2 am people are out every night of the week if you want to go the greek scene is huge went to my friends frat house and hung out i don't know what to do on a saturday night that is fun and the place does not have alcohol, ive gone out and hung out with friends without drinking off campus has parties, and just hanging out i also live off campus

My freshman year (2005-2006) Lehigh was the #2 party school in the nation. It was a blast. The school had enough of it and they have managed to dwindle parties from your stereotypical frat-people bouncing off the walls-all over the place-sex-drugs-nati light to very private frat/house parties. Lehigh's social life is very limited for people not in a frat, and even those are dwindling. If your over 21, its not bad. You actually have a pretty good time.You cant really do anything that doesnt involve drinking because everyone does it! Well, you can actually go bowling, movies, dinner, glow in the dark disk golf. But usually people drink when they do these things. Lehigh is a drinking school. As i refer to it, "Lehigh Alcoholics"