Lehigh University

« See more reviews of Lehigh University

The best thing about Lehigh is the people, professors, and food. I love all of the people I have met, they are very nice. The professors are available and accommodating as well. There a number of fantastic professors. There is also a variety of food and it is all very good. I would try to change school spirit, more access to open fields at Lehigh, and finding students from outside of New Jersey as they may have different different interests and experiences. The size is tricky. Most would say 4,500 or so is right in the middle and a perfect size. I feel that it is too small to provide great weekend comedians or performers because there is a lack of attendance and too small to concentrate on a few different majors as Lehigh attempts to span many different majors. They have spread themselves out a bit thin and are trying to accommodate to so many different organizations and majors. They have the mindset of a big state school feeling they can supply to any type of student, but don't have the resources...and maybe that's why it costs so much. People react positively when I tell them I go to Lehigh. It has a great reputation and students get great jobs out of school. Many high school students are drawn by the beautiful campus and the acceptance rate is staggering. I spend most of my time in the M&M the freshman dorm. I also go to the UC a lot to eat and on the weekends most students go up to the hill for parties or off-campus. I spend the majority of my time hanging out with friends im M&M though. "What college town," although there are enough muggings not to miss it. There are parts of South Bethlehem that are okay, right off campus, and I've eaten off campus a few times, but there is not much to do. However, there is plenty to do on campus so it has never been as issue. We have a new president this year and I know she and the administration are pushing studying abroad and the global studies department as well as kicking two fraternities off the hill. I think Sammy was an overreaction and you get the sense she does not like the Greek system. The global push is a good idea, but everyone going abroad by 2012 does not seem feasible, some students can barely afford tuition with financial aid and scholarships. Sammy being kicked off the hill had to be the biggest controversy towards the end of this year. For what all of the other fraternities do during pledging, the severity of the action of Sammy's pledge pales in comparison. It doesn't make any sense. There is school pride, but I feel that it is fake. Students aren't wearing all brown around campus and there is a lack of attendance at sporting events with the exception of the Lehigh Laf football game wrestling matches. Lehigh's hill makes it unique, I will never forget trying to run from the bottom of campus to the top. Students happen to complain about this a lot.

Lehigh, is known for it's strong business and engineering programs. So much so, people sometimes assume that's what you are doing here if you do attend, and it has some world class research coming out of the faculty here. Most of your classes freshman year will be large lecture type classes, and its not until your upperclassman years that you can really get into the smaller, more personal classes. Some of the teachers though, like any college, are not very good at teaching, so you just need to know who to look out for. They are here mainly for research, as some do not even like teaching. Lehigh, as you may or may not know, is set upon the hillside of south mountain, so there will be a lot of walking up and down hills/stairs to get to classes, but if you don't mind that, it is a very beautiful campus, in any season. The architecture is Gothic/Romanesque and though old, quite nice. The best part about Lehigh, though, is the rivalry. Lehigh vs Lafayette is the oldest college rivalry in the nation, and the week we play each other in football, even if you don't go here, it's worth going to at least once in your lifetime. The entire week is caught up in school spirit, pep rallies, celebrations, events, parties (naturally), and is quite possibly the funnest week (even the professors get into it sometimes!). There is a stark contrast though, between Lehigh and the surrounding area of Southside Bethlehem. There are mostly residents of Hispanic/Latino descent, and is a poorer area of Bethlehem. Relations could be better, but they aren't bad. Southside does offer many small shops (like Main St in north Bethlehem as well) and there is a thing called First Friday (first Friday of every month) where usually music can be heard, and the place comes alive.

The academics do challenge you and are respectable. I would change the fact that there isn't really a unified campus of students, but rather separation and segregation. The higher administration seems to focus their attention on alumni money rather than on the students' best needs. The prices of food and bookstore products are way too high and the dining service, including meals and dining dollars, is a rip off. I think the school itself is a perfect size, there are still plenty of people I see walking the campus that I haven't met, yet there are plenty that I know quite well. The class sizes are also small enough to be able to meet your teacher on a more personal level. For the Art and Architecture and Design Arts departments, there are not enough teachers, which is very limiting and frustrating when trying to get into classes during the incredibly hectic time of class registration. There isn't really a town, although the Steel Mill provides quite the spectacle. It really is cool looking and interesting to check out every once in a while. For a business student, its history is quite interesting-its failure and what not. I think they are knocking most of it down though to build a casino and hotel. Sounds cheesy and cheap, but maybe to some, it will make the town more city-like. The North side of Bethlehem is charmingly old fashion and respectably proud of its history. The South side is totally different, poor, but housing is cheap! You either love Lehigh or hate it, and bondage is built within those two opinions. Either way, there are smart, charismatic people that walk this university paths; there are faculty members striving to help steer and teach young scholars, it just takes individual effort to take advantage of this.

Lehigh is great- I feel like I have met people with many differing opinions and likes and it has really expanded my views and my likes as well. The size is pretty perfect, small enough that you know lots of people, feel comfortable, and class sizes are small. Big enough that there are lots of opportunities. The town of South Bethlehem is definitly underrated. Alot of students are afraid to venture off campus because of the not-so-hot reputation but it is an awesome place! There are lots of cool shops, galleries, and ethnic eateries within a few blocks of campus. It is also a really great place to volunteer. I started working with local kids twice a week and it is one of the best experiences I've had at college. Lehigh is also in a great location- 45 min. to Philly and an hour and 1/2 to New York City! I love being able to take a bus or quick drive to these amazing places. The freshmen dorms are tiny but upperclass living is awesome! In both situations I have made amazing friends and experienced a real sense of community and family. People stay on campus for the weekends, so it's a good place to be if home is far away or not too exciting. There are definitly lots of things to do- Greek life is big but there are concerts, performances, and excursions happening that are sponsored by student organizations or the Universtiy. I was terrified to come to college but Lehigh made the transition very easy and you couldn't pay me to go anywhere else!

Lehigh draws many of its strengths from the size of it's student population. With approximately 4,500 undergraduates spread across 3 academic colleges, it is the perfect size that individuals can stand out but that students can meet new people every day for all of their four years. When walking across campus, it's inevitable that you'll run into a few of your closest friends and never be lost in a crowd. This size makes it easy to form personal relationships with professors and important staff members, such as academic advisers and career services counselors. In turn, this helps when you need one-on-one help in a class, guidance in choosing classes, or assistance in writing your resume and applying to jobs. All-in-all, it is the ideal school to form lasting friendships, receive an excellent education, and get the help you need to start a career.

Lehigh is a great school! The school is a pretty good size, you get to know a lot of people and will see at least a couple familiar faces walking around on a random day, but you don't know everyone (you're deffinitely not lost in the crowd). The campus itself is absolutely beautiful, especially in the spring and fall and although South Bethlehem isn't too fabulous, you're right by Allentown, and only an hour from Philly, so there's enoguh to do. It's an AMAZING school, lots of work and LOTS of partying. Most people are in business and engineering majors, which are botch very competitive and challenging. Don't get me wrong though, it's not all work! Greek life is HUGE on or campus, and whether or not you're in a fraternity or sororrity the amount of parties and whatnot surrounding the greek life makes for an amazing time!

I think Lehigh is the kind of school that thrives on conformity, but the best part of that is it builds character for those who refuse to conform. It's an environment where you really have to make the decision on whether you're going to think for yourself or think with the crowd. Neither option is bad, it's really just a personal preference and both can lead to different successes and pitfalls. Though in some situations it is possible to witness a segregation of groups, Lehigh is a school filled with pride in it's students and abilities and once you have been sucked in we are all one fan of the brown and white. I really cannot express how much college is a place to find yourself and what you believe in, because once you have discovered that you'll always find your niche.

best thing is the great friends I have made too expensive perfect size - if you meet someone on the weekend you are almost guarenteed to run into them during the week people are very impressed when i say i go to lehigh Rauch business center is where i spend most of my time def college town meshed with 'little puerto rico" its so much fun administration was better before alice gast biggest controversy - frat pledging getting out of hand i think there is a lot of school pride unusual - no, except everyone is some level of nerd (whether they want to admit it or not) it makes for a great, laid back atmosphere My freshman year was amazing, i met my best friends and i will never forget any of them not diverse, too expensive, early classes ( 8 am)

Lehigh seems to be just the right size in my opinion. It's not too big but it's big enough to have the resources of a much larger state school. Where I come from in rural PA must people aren't very familiar with Lehigh. The people who know it are impressed I'm going here. There isn't much of a college town at all. You kinda have to be careful depending where you go off campus. It's a big contrast to the campus where there's a lot of money. There's a fair amount of school pride. Sports events aren't that well attended other than the football game against Lafayette which is awesome. Personally I like the campus being on the side of a mountain. It insures that I get some exercise everyday.

The best thing about Lehigh is its research facilities. Thats about it. If you are going for academics, then go. Otherwise, pick another school. It is just the right size as well. Not too big so you dont know everyone (all faces are familiar) but small enough so you dont know everyone. I spend most of my time on campus because I just turned 21. If your under 21 there is little to do off campus. Bethlehem is definitely not a college town. Honestly, bethlehem sucks. There is some school pride but our school has been sucking at football for the past few years. Most people complain about how tuition goes up every year and how the administration doesnt do anything productive. They fail a lot.