LeTourneau University Top Questions

Aaron

When I was a senior in high school , I was attending University of North Texas, so the college transition was a non-issue. Make more friends and save more money.

Jasmine

If I could go back in time and give myself advice as a senior I would tell myself to get on every scholarship you can as soon as possible. I would not want myself o wait as long as I did and wonder where I'm going to go to school and how I'm ging to pay for it. I also would tell myself not to stress over anything because something special will come to you if you work hard enough. To know that you try hard and keep your head up will be a great feeling in the future when you become something that people think you will not. It is a matter of who wants it and who goes and gets it. So I would tell mysekf to go and get it because it is yours first.

Joshua

I would tell myself to stop worring about other peoples expecations of me. I would warn myself to avoid social pressures that won't matter in the long run after all. I would urge myself to consider the long process I put myself into because of falling to peer pressure. I would tell me about all the work I got myself into at Delaware Tech, Letourneau University, and now Liberty University. Mainly, I would urge myself not to waste all the opportunites that I had. I would call myself to become a leader not just a follower.

Jenitza

My high-school-senior-self would be mighty surprised to see the college-sophomore-me! I have changed a lot, and I have a lot of advice I can give. I would tell my high-school-self that I should prepare for college by having an open mind, but a strong enough will to stand by my opinions and beliefs when they are challenged. I would warn my younger self not to be afraid to ask for help or guidance, because this new college freedom also comes with a responsibility for my actions and wellbeing. Most of all, I would tell myself not to underestimate the power of sleep, diet, exercise, and organization. By keeping those four things a priority, life will be ten times easier emotionally, mentally, academically, and physically. I think my high-school-senior-self would have been a lot less overwhelmed freshman year if she had all the wonderful advice I could give to her today.

Jared

I would tell myself to put more effort into my schoolwork. I'd make sure that I paid attention and retained more information, and held a higher GPA, because it does matter later on.

stephanie

The advice I would give myself would be to get serious and figure out a way to pay for college. I am the first in my family to attend college, so I had no clue what to do. So, for a couple of semesters now I have been paying my own way through college. It’s tough trying to get as many hours as I could at my job and finding time to study. I wish I would have paid attention to my teachers and guidance counselors about financial aid. I just always thought that I would get the help I need, but I was wrong. It is hard work, but in the end I know it will be all worth it once I have my diploma in my hands.

Dillon

I would definitely tell myself to focus more on classes, even the ones that don't seem important. Save more money over the summer, and work less during the semester. When the service engine light comes on, don't ignore it, you need your car to last 4 years or more. Don't stay up late. Just don't. Don't procrastinate on homework, especially when homework is a research paper worth 20{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of your grade. Don't worry so much. You'll make it, probably.

Andre

If I could go back and give my self advice I would tell myself to save money. School is expensive and hard, but if you have money that is one less thing to worry about. I would also tell myself to try to earn more college credit. Many of my friends do not have to take certain classes because they came in with credits which is something I should have done. So to sum up my advice, find any way you can to make college easier. The easier college is the lessed stressed someone can be the more that person will enjoy is education and college experience.

Natalie

Do the best you can do because in the end, it will all pay off.

Kimberly

If I could give my high-school self advice for entering into college, I would emphasize that relationships are what matters most. Of course you are going to school to get an education, but what makes or breaks your experiences while at college are the relationships that you build. These friendships that you share with other people are what help you get through the tough weeks of schoolwork and tests. They encourage you and give you strength to continue on. They remind you that the tough learning environment at a university is worth the long hours and all-nighters because you have friends who are doing it with you. In light of all this, the important thing to remember is to make time for your friends and to put some effort into developing good relationships. Put down the book every once in a while to talk to your roommate. If you have an opportunity to help someone out, don’t hesitate to do it. You can have friendships that last a lifetime if you make an effort to develop strong relationships while in college.

Rebecca

Don't sweat it. There's nothing to worry about - college is great. You will have everything you have ever wanted. Freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want. The ability to study things you have always dreamed of learning about. Friends to do stupid things with. Enough time to kick back and enjoy every day that goes by. And best of all - a minifridge. High school may have been rough, but just hold on, because college will be the fulfillment of everything you've worked for. Just wait for it.

College is about exploring and becoming who you really are. If you're someone who likes to have fun and doesn't take school very seriously, you will find like minded people who share this ideal and will foccus on the fun along with you. If you work hard and go to college to learn as much as you can and to excel in acadmecis, you will find people who work hard as well. You will find people who share the same religious beliefs, political views, ideals, and life goals as you do. Embrace the opportunity to fully develop your personality, your intrests, your style, and your lifestyle. Explore who you are, be open to new experiences, new types of people, and learning new things. Don't sell yourself short by not trying new things or not meeting new people. Don't go to college with the expectation that you will come back a new person - go with the expectation that you will come back having invested in and explored the qualities that make you unique.

Timothy

I have gotten to know many special individuals and have grown to love them. The fellow students at this school are, for the most part, great people. The value of this school to myself is mainly the friends I make and slightly the education.

Eneatra

My college exprience has taught me so much about myself and how amazing people are overall. I pushed myself to limits that I did not think were possible and my college experience allowed me to dream and really decided what is best for me.

Hollie

My college experience has given me the ability to make my thoughts into solid beliefs. I go to a very diverse school where I am challenged to think for myself, and to question why I believe what I believe . I have been able to openly discuss opposing views with friends, peers, and professors , who have given me insight and guidance about opposing views. It has been wonderful to live and learn in an environment and college, where I am encouraged grow and think for myself and to back up my beliefs with evidence and passion.

Mihary

The aviation program of LeTourneau University is one of the best in the world. The basic aviation classes that I have taken will make me master the basics of aviation studies.

Tiffany

To begin, this is not the first University that I have attended. It is the third, and I truly appreciate and enjoy the fact that it is a Christian, Bilble based, instituion. I thouroghly enjoy the GAPS program, and wish that I had known about it a lot sooner. I would probably have two bachelors degrees by now and a masters. Everyone has been really understanding and positive. They truly want to see people achieve the goal, of the education that they desire. Not all schools are like that. Some Universities strive to make classes so difficult, that there is no way that you can pass the course by only taking it once. They want you to have to repeat courses, in order to increase school revenue.

There are many things that I have taken from LeTourneau University whether it be academically, spiritually, or from friends. LeTourneau is academically demanding and expects its students to do well. I have been pushed to do my best and strive to be a better student and person. LeTourneau cares about its student's spirituallity. We pray before many of our classes and each professor gives a small devotional before class. I have seen how powerful God is and what prayer can do. I have built many friendships here. I keep in touch with many of the graduates from my floor. It is great to know that many of these friendships I have now will continue on even after I graduate. I have the priviledge to be an RA on my floor. This helps me to get to know more of the students on my floor and gives me leadership skills.

william

What I have gotten out of my college experience was the will to push myself for what I want in life. Not only have I recieved an education in certain subject but I also got a better understanding of how I want my life to be and where I want to excel at . School offers me life experience on what it is that I want for myself and it not only helps me to be a better man it helps me to be a better person . For me the value of school is a foundation to better a persons life skills and wisdom.

Memrie

From my college experience, I have gain much. most importantly, I have discovered who I am as an individual. I have also gained vluable knowledge that I will take with me for the rest of my life. Next, I have made friendships that will always be there.

DeJaune

I have been able to learn a lot about myself and meet a lot of people that have influenced me to do things that are right and not wrong.

mike

I would tell myself to be prepared to say hello to everyone and to practice more in my last year of high school. It's really ok to keep in touch with friends from home because when you go home for the summer and have no one to do stuff with life becomes quite boring. I would also tell myself to do a little prestudying for each class that I am enrolled in for the next semester. For me understanding the most basic part about each course before the first day of class was the best thing I could do to keep from getting lost. Also don't feel that you have to spend all day studying. Get out and do stuff with your new friends. My last piece of advice would be to be sure that you buy your books online - after asking people in your dorm if they happen to have a copy you could purchase at a lower rate. Good Luck! And get ready for the best time of your life! Remember who you are.

Wesley

Find your joy in the work and it will go better in every possible way. Don't get caught up in a random girl if she shows up. She can really mess with your head and distract you from loving your work like you should. Find the balance. And don't be afraid to say hello once in a while. You don't have to be a hermit all the time.

Hazel

I would tell myself that even though I have been unhappy with high school, that college is something that has a great deal of value. On-line schooling is an easier way to get a start . Don't worry about not knowing what you want to do with your life because there is plenty of time to decide that. Start with the basics, look around and see what your passion is all about as you go through school. Remember the amount of money you could earn is not always the best way to decide what you want out of life. College life is what you make it to be. If you go to party, you will not be successful in your educational endeavors. You can do a combination of both, but focus on your education as the primary goal. With an education you will accomplish a great deal. With a party lifestyle, you will have nothing more than blurred memories. Remember what you do now, is what you will be for a lifetime. Lifetimes last a whole lot longer than a few years of good times.

James

First of all, the education system in the United States is quite different from the education level in Malaysia. Most of the schools in Malaysia use final exams to determine a student's final grades in all the classes. However, it is still possible to procrastinate until a week or less before the final exam to catch up with all the materials covered for the particular class in high school, but not here in college. It is really important to plan out your schedule on the things you will do each week to catch up with the materials covered in each classes, and make sure that all the homeworks are turned in on time. That will definitely help you during each sectional test. Some of the classes in college include papers and assignments that will take quite a bit of time to be done, it is always a good idea to start those papers and assignments early, and not a day or two before the due dates. Finally, self-control and motivation are really important in college life, especially when you have your own laptop and Xbox, and your parents are not there to tell you what to do everyday.

As a high school senior people tend to slack a little and just want to finish with a high enough grade to graduate. I would tell myself and any other high school senior to take challanging courses in order to prepare for hard college courses. I would tell them to make good study habits starting in high school even if the course is not that hard, because I was one of those students that did not need to study at all to pass a test in high school, but that all changed when college came around. If students have good study habits and know how they study best, they will do much better in college. I would tell them to try their best in everything that they do in life because it will all pay off in the long run. I would also tell them to make sure they apply for lots of scholarships online and get a high score on their SAT and ACT so that they can get more scholarships towards their schooling.

Chris

I would say to keep an open mind when searching for schools. I hadn't expected to like Letourneau, let alone pick it. But after making it to the school and spending time in their curriculum, I have found that I thoroughly enjoy the university. The course load might be rigorous and hard, but with the right help and information I am able to get into the class and fix things. And make sure the campus life and time outside of classes is something you would enjoy, because you would spend most of the time outside of the class and amongst the other students and other people. Try to get together with other people of similar majors and study together with them. Motivate one and another to do your classwork so that you are able to get through the semester with good grades and good experiences.

Andrew

Don't comprimise when it comes to looking for colleges. Narrow down your choices to colleges that have your desired major, and then start looking at campus specific details such as housing, campus design, etc. To make the most of your experience, study hard but do well in school. Academic satisfaction is key to looking back on college fondly.

Julie

Pre-college preparations often leave first generation students and parents anixous, lost, and stressed. From my experiance in searching for the right college, I learned some basic guidelines. First, pray for guidence and enlightment on what God has enstore for the student. Secondly, both should together make a list of the important features desired out of the college. Thridly, they should visit as many colleges that fit within their budget, major, and preferance. When visiting colleges, the proceptive student should interact and ask enduring questions about college experiances to the students already attending. In order to make the most of a college experiance, the student should seek their passions and morals in order to acquire joy within daily activites. When the pressure becomes overwhelming, seek advice from students, professors, and established mentors. College is more than a step into your professional career but a time to seek God and discover the plans He has for the student's social and educational life.

Josh

I believe that college is the most important time in a person?s life. It is a time when the student learns more about themselves and becoming an adult. When it comes to a person trying to decide on what school to attend they need to keep those things in mind. For some people college may seem like a time to party before having to jump into the real world, but college is the time to see how the real world works. Not to say that you cannot have fun while at college. A person can have lots of fun while at school, but if that fun is getting in the way of your education then you?re not really learning anything at all. Or to put it in other words they are not learning how the "real world" works. On a second note, a lot of people will choose a school based on how much it costs to attend. I cannot express this hard enough when I say that you cannot put a price on getting a good education. Pick a school that will give the best education possible for the career being pursued.

Jeff

Look for a school with small class size that hires amiable professors and has a reputation for excellence. Make sure that the general attitude of the student body is not too dissimilar from that of the prospective student. Also try to find a school where drugs and alcohol are not the primary form of entertainment and the party atomostphere is minimal. Perhaps the best thing a parent or prospective student can do is vist one or two of the dorms and visit with the students. Find out if they spend their time studying or playing video games. Ask yourself if you want to be like these people (or if you want your child to be like them).

Benjamin

I would say tell porspective students that you need to go with your first choice. If you find a college that you like and makes you feel at home, and has all the programs and degrees you want go with it. As for parents, just support your son or duaghter. They are growing up and learnign to adults. Don't force them into a college you would have like to go when you were young or force them into degrees you like, let them be there oen person and chose what they want. If that is doen you get a happier student that get good grades, and a son or daughter that will actually call or email you from college.

Christine

Start planning your financial aid about a semester ahead of time. Borrow boooks when you can instead of buying them, but save like you have to buy them anyway. Dont get caught up wasting time, it is an easy thing to do.

David

Visit for a weekend

Allie

Keep an open mind! Take several trips to school before you decide to go their. Try to go on a day when they do not have a tour and you can see the "real" side of the school!!

Mark

Look into everything first. Preview at the college. See where the college is located and what their beliefs are. Know what the financial terms and conditions are. Ask current students about this to fully understand what's going on there. Have alternate choices of where to attend college. Be open about possible college locations and environments. Try to find diversity. See if the college has any study abroad programs. Don't make any rash decisions. Start applying early so that you don't miss out on some opportunities due to deadlines. Be able to study well at school so you will have free time that you can really enjoy. Get to know people from other cultures and backgrounds. This will open your eyes, and you will love your college experience.

Josh

Finding a college should not be entirely about academics or cost, but community and relationships. Look for a school with comorodary among the students and a community atmosphere. At my school, I lived on the same dorm for all four years and developed very deep and meaningful relationships with the people I lived with. Once you have found a school that provides this kind of atmosphere, look at the academics. I believe that professors should take a sincere interest in all of their students and be willing to take time out of class to work with a student. In conclusion, the selection of a college should be first about the community, atmosphere and comorodary and second about the academics.

Cameron

Do not be affraid to experiment and just try things. Have some sort of plan when you enter college, but be willing to allow yourself to freedom to try different classes and activities. I started out as a Physical Therapy major. I took several History classes and decided that I enjoyed History more than I did Physical Therapy. Find what you enjoy doing. It also helps to expand your social circle to include people in a large variety of majors. Talk to them about what they are studying. Find out what they love about their classes. Find something that you enjoy doing. Do what you love.

keith

know what is going to be ahead. college is not hard to get in but hard to succeed in!

Renetta

The parents and children should feel a connection with the college whether if it is the environment or the curriculum, it is the only way that the parent and the student will be happy. The college shouldn't be the choice of the parents but the choice of the student. Allow your child to spread their wings and at the same time express to them that you are proud of them and you know that they will make the best decisions on their journey.

David

For athletes find a college where you are going to Play. Make sure the Coach is a decent person with whom you can work.Find how many steps are required to obtain tutoring,ie: how quickly can you get help with tutoring; do you have to spend time in a group class for help before you can get a tutor? Are the rooms nice?Is the food good?

Jordan

Prospective students should visit many colleges, and attend events at each one before choosing the right one. Parents should be involved in this process, but remeber to be objective. Your child may have interests other than what you desire for them; try to ensure that your child does not feel as if you are making the decision for them. I get the feeling that at my school many students are there only because their parents wanted them to attend. It is important to pick a school that will make you feel proud to be a student there. If you enjoy big school traditions and rallies, perhaps you should look into a school with a large student body, or one that at least is well known for its rich history. If you enjoy a tight nit community where you can learn everybody's name after one semester, then look into a small school where most of your social life will be with the other students.

Ben

The biggest thing in college isnt the grades or the money that will come afterwards. The biggest thing in college is the people you will meet and who you will grow into. So, when picking a college, pick one that has a good close knit community with people that you enjoy, or could see yourself becoming friends with. Also, pick a college that has a few things you are interested in, so that you can try some of them. Or, if you are completely sure about what you want to do, then go for it. But remember to leave room for friends along to way.

Collin

Find what you want and pursue it to the greatest degree you can. Ensure that what you want is actually your own dream and makes you happy. Pleasing others might be easy now but dissipates in value. Find something you are passionate about and follow it. Remember to be grounded and do not compromise in schools, relationships, majors, or any situation. In trying to find happiness, remember that money ulitmately will not please you and it is your life and how you live it. The poor can be richer than the wealthy if they have but happiness. Giving of your time and money to others can be one of the most rewarding experiences. Life is not about your personal well being but should be focused on others. Do not afraid to be yourself. Honesty both to yourself and to others is critical.

I would tell students to follow their instincts and to not disregard any misgivings they have about potential colleges; remember, you are going to be there for four years, and if anything makes you uncomfortable now, it will likely only get worse. It is important to pay attention to everything about the school: its students, professors, student services, and housing.

Visiting schools before making a choice really helped me decide where I wanted to go. I thought I had wanted a big school but when I looked at them, I realized I would feel really lost and overlooked. Even though going to a small school has its downsides, I really appreciate knowing all of my class mates and having a great support group. Some key aspects of campus to consider are the living areas, especially the dorms, the cafeteria ( you have to eat there every day so you should at least be able to find it eatable, or they should have a good selection of cereals.) the library, where you will probably spend quite a bit of time. Also lounges or student areas, and the town around the college are very important. Its a good idea to talk to a few students and get a feel for why they are at the school and what the students think about the faculty. Not everything will look perfect, and the campus may or may not click, however if you can pursue your dreams there and the surroundings are comfortable and conducive to studying and fun, then you have found your university!

Samuel

Highschool preparation is extremely important. The more work that is put into studying in highschool, it seems that that work is multiplied exponentially in college. Also, putting time into working on scholarships and awards ahead of time is better then waiting until college (there will be no time to work on them later). Preview the school of choice ahead of time to see if you can handle the atmosphere. Try to spend a couple days on campus and attend a few classes. The school you choose should be comfortable and you should be proud to attend there, do not choose a school just because of its name or because it has cool parties.

Nathan

talk to current students and allumni. recent allumni will know th best about schools because they are a little removed from the experience and can give a good evaluation of the school

Kelly

College is--ideally--an unrepeatable time. At the end of your undergraduate career, you should be set up for success by having acquired the necessary tools. Choosing various extracurricular involvements, on campus jobs or internships, and volunteering are all ways to determine where your interests lie or develop your skills and strengths, and working closely with faculty mentors in these activities will expose you to both advice and connections that will prove quite valuable. Each person thrives in a slightly different environment. Figure out if you need the Greek system to keep your sanity and be able to face that really difficult professor on Monday morning at 8:00 AM. Pick a school that offers not only the major that you want but several other practical majors--just in case you change your mind about what you want to do in the next fifty or sixty years. Look into--and use--university resources for your academic success and future career. Also, do you remember the hype about being well rounded for your college applications? Keep it up. Finding a balance between school and life is an important skill that will continue to serve you well after graduation.

Valerie

They should look at a variety of options. Especially for freshman, they are not sure what they want to do as soon as the graduate from high school. It is important to start at a school that has a lot of options. Even if they decide to change their major partway through their college career, they will at least have some fundamental classes taken care of. Then they will be able to transfer to a school that has their new specialty.