Lewis & Clark College Top Questions

There are tons of clubs here, and not enough time to be apart of it. Slam poetry's super popular. There's also a film club that I occasional go to which takes advantage of our Library's impressive supply of films from past to present. People in the dorms are typically very open to hang out and there are many spontaneous jam sessions (it feels like everyone plays an instrument). As for fraternities/sororities, look elsewhere. They don't exist here. We're happy about that. There are parties going on every weekend somewhere, from little dorm parties to bigger house parties and if the weather's nice maybe a treehouse party with a drum circle in the middle of the woods (awesome). If you dislike drinking, Portland has lots of awesome stuff to do from great concerts to movies and voodoo donuts. Also, there's always some kids hanging out on campus having a quiet night in the lounge watching a movie or playing wii. Overall, there are those who party constantly and those who never do and the majority are somewhere in between. Regardless, you won't find yourself feeling pressured to do anything. Also, campus police will stay out of your hair as long as you aren't stupid.

Kelsie

One thing that L&C students love is the student-run coffee shop, the "Co Op." Prices are extremely low and it has a very laid back vibe. All the workers are students and work on a volunteer basis. The only downside is that it's quite out of the way for members of most dorms to go to on a regular basis.

This is an a cappella version of the song "Yes We Can." We are a group of students from Lewis & Clark.

Hamlet, recreated in the present day at Lewis and Clark college

Tate

The most popular student groups on campus are the a cappella groups. Over 300 people attend each end-of-the-year concert, and we now have four different a cappella groups. I sing in the first a cappella group that was started at LC, called Momo & the Coop. Since my group started three years ago, three more groups have formed! We all perform together on the Fir Acres Mainstage at the end of each semester. Students in the dorms leave their doors open. I met my best friends from living on the same floor with them freshman year. Other friends I've met from class since we all hang out in the math department to do our homework. Athletic events aren't that popular, but we're working on it. Theatre is much more popular. I'm never awake at 2am on a Tuesday! A tradition is the Welcome Back Picnic which is on the lawn in front of Templeton. We all eat outside and dance the "hippie flail" to Marimba music! There's always a party if you want to go to one, but it's so easy not to get involved with that scene if you don't want to. My math girls and I once had a sleepover and ate ice cream and popcorn and watched the Disney movie "Enchanted!"

The student body in general doesn't seem too interested in joining clubs. Sports teams are there however, also the newspaper, KLC Radio station, and various departmental clubs. I was involved in Amnesty International but it wasn't very successful on campus due to lack of interest. Some students leave their doors open, especially the lower classes (fresh/soph) but not in the apartments--people are pretty closed off. Athletic events aren't popular in general. I'd say basketball gets the most fans. Guest speakers are sometimes popular if it's widely publicized. Dating scene not great but I had a boyfriend the whole time so not an issue for me. I met my closest friends through a class I had and a random rooommate placement. It's hard to meet people when you're a transfer because people already have their own groups established. 2 am on a Tuesday night: studying for an exam or finishing up a paper L&C isn't a huge party school, but there is the partying crowd, however I think it's mostly on the weekends. a Saturday night with no drinking would involve: hanging out with friends in your room watching a movie, playing board games; going downtown to see a movie; going out to a coffee shop There is lots of things to do off campus because Portland is a great city. People are very interested in eco-friendly activities; many people like to be outdoors. The public transportation system is excellent.

Quinn

The student body is fairly small, but very diverse. I think there's something for everyone socially as and in terms of extracurricular activity. While many people like to party LC is not a party campus. There are no sororities or fraternities, which I was thankful for because I'm not much of a partier myself. Students are just as likely, I think, to watch a movie with their fiends on a Friday night as they are to get drunk. So whether you party or not, you'll fit in somewhere. One thing I look forward to each year is the naked mile. I've never participated but it's always fun to watch.

Many students leave there doors open in the dorms. Getting to know my hallmates was the best part of freshman year. The student run Co-Op is a great place to get a cup of coffee or cookie, study with friends, look at student art, and hear live music. If you come to campus during Prospective Student's Week, you may be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the time honored tradition called "the naked mile".

I have no clue what anyone participates in on campus. Athletes are recruited but I think there are a bunch of sports for amateurs to play. A lot of students leave their doors open. Theater is pretty popular to go to. Guest speakers are sort of popular. Athletic events, not at all. I met my closest friends through my roommate. She's one of them, and then she introduced me to her friend from home, and she introduced me to her roommate, and then I met a friend of hers from home, and then I met her roommate. Those are my closest friends. We're all kind of lost together. If you're awake on a tuesday at 2am, you probably have insomnia or you are frantically trying to finish a paper that is due that day. Some people party a lot, and some people never party. I had trouble finding a happy medium. There are no fraternities or sororities. There isn't much to do one a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking. Go see a movie downtown or go dancing. I don't really know.

Good house partys on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Lots of fun things to do on campus. Great student clubs that encourage new friendships.

The students on my dorm floor were extremely open; we hardly ever locked (or even closed) our doors, and we were always in each other's rooms. I know most other people were not that close with their floor mates (a lot of them never even met some of their floor mates), but my experience was pretty unique. Sports are practically non-existent. Lewis & Clark's been trying to give athletes a bunch of scholarships to get new athletes here and revive our school spirit, but most of the kids brought in by that pretext end up leaving within the first year because they feel isolated from the rest of the campus. There are no sororities or fraternities, and the biggest campus-wide parties we have take place in a small house down the street. People really enjoy drinking here, and that seems to be a lot of people's weekend activity. You can always go downtown and hang out there, but as far as on-campus entertainment on the weekends, things are pretty dead until about the last two weeks of the year.

Students do nothing except get drunk and rape each other.

Maverick

I cannot describe what the most "popular" groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus for the simple reason that the word "popular" is not of L&C nature. The people there don't really subscribe to that way of thinking. The groups are pretty much evenly divided. The althletic events have had a reputation for having low to no attendance. However, many have said that has changed a lot with the underclassman. Many events happen on campus. The most attended are usually the speakers and theater events. A couple of the most attended events this year were the Solomon Sparrow Electric Whale Revival (a slam poetry group) and the Blue scholars concert. Most students leave their doors open, but that will vary hall to hall and student to student. And i met one of my closest friend on the optional Pre-NSO(new student orientation) hike trip. One of my other closest friends i met during the academic fair where all the freshman learn about the different departments and the various courses they offer. I met another one of my closest friends because he's my roommate, which is another thing L&C is good at. They place roommates really well together. And there are parties almost every weekend, giver or take a few weekends a semester, but it's all pretty chill. There's no pressure to party, but it's there if you want it. And if you don't want to party, there's plenty of stuff to do on campus usually, and if nothing campus catches your eye, there's always free transportation to downtown that runs till 2 or 3 am on the weekends. And if you can't find anything Downtown, you probably should be in bed, because there's ALWAYS stuff to do in Portland. And the only tradition that i can think of is the Naked Mile..and yes, it is just what it sounds like. People run a mile with no clothes on.

Rogan

Theme parties sometimes (i.e. Animal-Fantasy Party), athletic team house hosted parties, keggers, weedfests, etc. People always leave their dorms open, Guest Speakers that are internationally recognised are a constant, the dating scene is tough, where isn't it tough? No frats, no sororities, no lame people. Everyone is a chilla.

I was on the track & field team and was associated as being a track girl, but I liked that. Other than that I don't think I'm associated with one group necessarily, but I think that is also a personal issue because I like to float from group to group. There are these things called "LC goggles" where peoples' "dating standards" are apparently lowered because the girls outnumber the boys, and the odds make girls feel like they have to settle. I don't necessarily agree, I'm just stating what I have heard. People party every weekend. I mean.. it's college let's be honest. Most of the bigger parties are off-campus though, but are within walking distance at housing nearby. Frats/sororities do not exist at LC, but I think that is fine because with such a small amount of students it is "clique-y" enough without more segregation among a new kind of category. There is plenty to do without alcohol of course. Downtown is always pleasant to just pass the time in the city. There's a bowling alley in Tigard. There are various malls within driving distance. A stroll down 23rd at night is full of characters. There are plenty of sushi restaurants and various cuisines. Catch your favorite sports event on Tuesday night for cheap buffalo wings at Buffalo Wild Wings..

Torry

Mmmmmeh... too lazy to write at the moment...

The dating scene fucking sucks at this school. There are a LOT more women than men on campus. People don't really go on dates; they mostly hook up. It isn't that hard to find someone to hook up with at a party, but there's a very small chance that a straight woman will find a relationship with a man on campus, but not vice versa. Most women figure out pretty quickly that they should try Craigslist, Portland State University, or go to bars/coffee shops downtown if they want to actually date. The guys don't have to work very hard for relationships, so they never dress well, often get high beforehand, and generally have the attitude that if it doesn't work with this girl, it will work with a girl who is so desperate that she has lost her standards. They are correct. The phenomenon of LC women abandoning their standards for physical attraction, good sex, and overall being treated with respect is called "LC Goggles." If I had known about this, I might have seriously reconsidered going to Lewis & Clark.

The people on your floor become like your family, and you'll probably be friends with most of them. Doors are usually open, depending on what day it is. Athletic events aren't super popular although I think there is a good turnout for basketball games/football games. In the early hours of the morning I'm probably awake procrastinating or something. Apparently there is a naked mile run around campus that happens around prospie weekend but I haven't seen it or I missed it. Most people party on Friday or Saturday nights... that is when they are the loudest, but sometimes on Thursdays or random days. There are no frats/sororities here. Off campus there is tons to do as Portland is just a half hour bus ride away.

Having a social life on campus was hard to figure out at first. You have to think about how to balance work and fun more carfully than in high school, but once you get it figured out there is a ton of fun to be had on and off of campus.

The ultimate frisbee team seems to be popular. There are three a capella groups that are student run and their concerts always get a big turn out. College Outdoors is an organization on campus that has various outdoors activites throughout the year, including over breaks. My roommate went on a trip to the Grand Canyon with them, and I hiked in the Redwoods of Northern California. Their trips are pretty popular. I'm in an a capella group, which I really enjoy, because I've finally found people who enjoy singing as much as I do. There are certain dorms where the doors are always open, like the art-themed dorm called Platt. It really depends on where you live. There definitely are people who date, but because my year is 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} female, there's definitely a lot of guys who are trying to hook up with as many girls as possible. And the girls can get kind of desperate. There are off-campus parties every weekend which are usually close enough that you can walk there. And there's always people drinking in their dorms, because usually as long as you're not too loud, you won't get written up. If you do get caught drinking in dorms, you have to meet with a campus living coordinator. Nothing really happens, basically. A lot of people go downtown on weekends to coffee shops, Powell's bookstore (really great bookstore), clothing stores, restaurants, and clubs. There's two clubs people go to, one is really sketchy and the other is an all ages gay club. There are a lot of concert venues and people often go to concerts. They're usually indie bands, but I've heard about a few big people like Ben Harper playing in Portland. Saturday Market is also really popular-- there's lots of stands with crafts and jewelry, as well as food stands.

Athletic events on campus are not very popular. Our school doesn't have very much pride although it increases in small amounts every year. Our teams suck, except for maybe one or two. Students sometimes leave their dorms open, it depends where you live and how friendly your hall is. Some halls are completely quiet and don't talk to each other but some are best friends. Campo here is pretty chill.

Lewis and Clark Social life is non-existent. In my dorm, no one (with the exception of my quad) leaves the door open, and although I have tried to make friendships and organize get-togethers with my hallmates (I've baked cookies, brownies...), they seem hesitant to want to socialize. I feel like the sports teams are the thing to do if you want to have a quick, strong bond with people, and I've found that the best parties are hosted by the athletic teams.

Annie

Students here keep busy. Whether with homework, outings, performances, or club meetings, they're always doing something. Guest speakers are very popular, and there are a lot. The theater puts on really good productions, and brings in performers from the Portland area. The dating scene here is iffy if you're a girl because of the guy to girl ratio. But people usually can find what they want. People party usually every friday and saturday night, and occasionally take part in wasted wednesday, depending on how much you like to drink. But it's also fun to watch movies, chill with friends, and go out to dinner downtown.

The dorm scene is very hit or miss. You may have a hall that's like a family, or a hall of people who just happen to live in the same building. You will find social networks wherever you look for them. Sometimes you have to make the first step and be social. Nobody will reject you for being nice.

Jess

Depending on what dorm hall you're in will dictate whether or not the doors will be left open. Halls like Platt and Copeland tend to have doors open with more interaction, while Stewart and Odell tend to be a little more lowkey. The upperclassmen apartment doors lock when you close them, so their doors are rarely open. Athletic events aren't that popular here, but there tends to be a small following. Usually just because people go to support to their friends. Theater related events tend to get bigger crowds. There is no Greek life here on campus.

Portland has a great art and music scene, and students often attend concerts or other events on the weekends. Every first and last thursday of the month there are big free art shows in the city that LC students will often attend. There are also always lots of events, speakers, concerts, etc. going on on campus and students tend to attend them. People are friendly and no matter what your interests are, you will probably be able to find interesting and worthwhile friends who share them.

Jacque

We have all sorts of clubs. I have some good friends in A cappella groups, TCK groups, there's a Hawaii club (that I'm part of even though I'm from MT). All sorts of good stuff

There are a lot of extracurricular clubs around, but unless you make an effort to be a part of them fairly early in the year, you'll probably have trouble. I myself recommend the improv comedy club. Doors are open most of the time, then shit gets stolen and they are locked for about a week, then they open again. The dating scene from a boys perspective is as follws: The odds are good, but the goods are odd." LC has way more women then it does men, so ladies, if you see a hottie, get 'im! Most of your closest friends will be the people you lived with freshman year and some people from your classes. If you're awake at 2:30 AM on a tuesday, you are in the library or you are really drunk. Traditions include the Naked Mile and 420 at the flagpole. Both are fairly self-explanatory. There is no Greek life here. Last weekend, I had Thai food and hung out in a dorm. If you don't want to drink and you still want to be around a lot of people, you may be out of luck unless the school puts on an event, which they do fairly frequently. The other alternative is to get off campus and see Portland where you can see a movie or go to a show or just wander around.

Aleta

Living in the dorms is not as bad as it seems. It is actually a good way to meet people, and may be how you meet the people you will be friends with for the rest of your life. It is sometimes difficult to live in a room with another person, but it is only one year, maybe two at most. The dating scene for girls blows. 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} female, 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} male. LC students do their fair share of partying. We work hard during the week, then enjoy the weekends. There is no greek life, which saves a ton of drama. Downtown Portland is super close, so it is a great place to hang out. I spend the majority of my off campus time hiking, climbing or hanging out at a coffee shop.

Antonio

It's near Portland, but the city's not accessable, so basically everyone stays near campus and does something on the spectrum from drinking to hard drugs. Not EVERYONE, but a lot of people.

Maggie

People party almost every weekend, but I don't know anyone who regularly parties during the week. People get their work done during the week and then like to have a good time. There is plenty to do if you don't drink and no one will judge you if you don't. We go downtown a lot to dinner or movies or to wander around Saturday Market, but even Portland can get old. The dating scene is different than most colleges because it is such a small school and there are so few men. There are probably fewer random hookups because you already know everyone and you will see them the next morning at brunch if anything awkward happens on a Friday night. The guy to girl ratio means that most of my female friends don't have boyfriends and haven't met any guys they are interested in. We also have fewer male friends because of this, which makes the social scene different. We don't have frats or sororities, but the sports teams have houses and they tend to be where all the big parties are held.

Our football team has a 0-27 record. 3 straight seasons of 0 wins. the biggest sports team is the frisbee team which gets school funding to buy beer. No one goes to athletic events. No one at our school owns or watches TV, we stay active; climbing, biking, day hikes, theres always something to do. We find better and more productive ways to spend our time. alot of drinking and smoking, its hard to get away from, but the community atmosphere of the school balances it out. No one is a waste and just smoking away their lives, and if they are they are kind of shunned from the community. we smoke as a balance to our work. People look out for each other and don't let them let drugs and alcohol get in the way of their life.

Athletics defines who I am as a student here at Lewis and Clark. The events are not super highly attended, but they are getting better. Student-athletes support their fellow athletes and typically tend to hang out with other student-athletes.

Madeline

Instead of a greek system, we identify social groups and "party houses" by their sport. A fun weekend would be described by saying, "There's gonna be sick parties at the Basketbal House AND the Cross Country house this sat night!" Outside of the party scene, there are several fun activities on any given night, if you choose to seek them out. For example, every saturday night a group gathers by the reflecting pool and divides into 2 teams, the ninjas and the knights. The ninjas and the nights battle until morning, running around campus wildly. There are also concerts, parties on campus, lectures, and don't forget that the library is always open. Almost everyone leaves there doors unlocked all the time. Dating scene is horrible. Do not come to LC looking for love. In all likelyhood, you will not meet your soulmate. The ratio of males and females IS a problem. You often find yourself in a dorm of all females or even a classroom of all females. Relationships that do occur are usually short-lived, messy, or purely sexual.

There are a ton of groups on campus: Rock climbing, soccer, dance, Spanish Club, French Club, Russian Club, folk dance, just to name a few. I'm involved with a division of Campus Crusade. Agape, (we are pretty much underground and have about 10 people involved) and Dance team, which was just recently chartered. Students leave their doors open a lot. Athletics aren't too popular but a lot of people go see guest speakers and theater performances. I met my closest friends through a College Outdoors trip, classes, and through Agape. We don't have a Greek system. Last weekend I caught dinner and a movie with friends on Friday night, studied Saturday morning, and worked Saturday night.

I am involved in the Jewish Students Union, which recently became a Hillel. Through this group, I have been able to celebrate and participate in events with the community here -- Jews or non Jews. We had a Passover seder which was attended by 200 students. It was a great opportunity to teach the community about this important holiday and share our traditions with others. It was also great to converse with others over a delicious meal. I enjoy living in the dorms. I have developed many friendships and love hanging out with my friends. I met most of them during the New Student Orientation trip I went on and during NSO week. At the beginning of the school year, I left my door open a lot more than I do now. It is difficult to get work done when people are constantly walking in!

Ava

I am used to huge dance parties with hiphop. You will not find that here except for the occasional basketball parties. Most are house-shows (concert from local bands/houseparties). The quads are big enough to have on-campus parties aswell. There is usually one or two big parties every friday or saturday night walking distance from campus. Once your 21, there are a million cool bars and nightclubs in downtown Portland to choose from.

KLC radio is super trendy and popular. No one really cares about sports other than the people who play them which is the way it should be. The dorms CAN be great. i lived in a really fun amazing dorm my two years on campus but some suck the life out of people. We generally get some pretty interesting speakers. DATING SUCKS AT LC!!! everyone has slept with everyone else. it is grosse. I met my closest friends on my floor freshman year. 2am, probably painting in my appartment or watching a movie. The naked mile is a good tradition on campus. students run around the school naked. Sun Burn, KLC music festival is also fun. There are parties every weekend and are fun when you are a freshman or sophomore. The upperclassmen parties are a little more spaced out and offer a bit more than balls-to-the-wall drunken antics. No greek on campus. Went to a concert last weekend and studied. You can do whatever you want on saturday night without drinking i guess. i don't really know what type of school programs are offered. I do everything off campus... i live off campus.

Craig

The majority of students at LC live in dorms for their first two years, which is an easy way to jump start a social life. With kids your same age living all around you, the dorms are kind of the social hub for underclassman. Another benefit of small classes is that it is easy to meet the people in your classes, also once you select a major you see the same people in multiple classes and it makes it easy to get to know those individuals. Also, find groups that you are interested in and you will instantly make friends with people there since you already share something in common. Now that I am away from college and realize how hard it is to meet people that you have things in common with in real life, i suggest milking the social scene of college for all you can cause it is such a unique situation that will someday end.

I wouldn't say that we have one group on campus that is more popular than others. Since we are such a small community most of the groups overlap and as a result it feels like everyone knows everyone at times. I am a member of the swim team which is a very special team. We are all very close and while in season end up spending the majority of our time together. We eat meals at the same times, hang out on the weekends and study in the same place in the library.

Denali

The dorms are very open, doors are often left open and unlocked. Athletic events are not widely attended, school spirit is not popular at Lewis and Clark. The dating scene is small. Girls outnumber the boys by a lot and a good portion of the boys are gay. My closest friends were the ones near me in the dorm. If I was awake at 2am on Tuesday night I would be studying. Every weekend is a party, there is always something on or off campus. There are no fraternities or soroities but the crew teams are seen as the campus soroities and fraternities. Last weekend I went to a party with friends and then spent the rest of the time watching movies with friends and doing homework. On a Saturday night you can just hang out with friends on campus or go off campus down to Portland. Portland is great fun and a great place to hang out on the weekends. You can go to Powells or to one of the many coffee places and there are many quirky stores and restaurants that college students love to discover.

Sorry, I have to go do my homework now.

Torry

Cool organizations: Students for a Democratic Society (SDS), Womyn's Center, Black Student Union, Slam Poetry group, various a capella groups, newspaper Many of us leave our dorm rooms unlocked, some don't. I don't lock my door, and nothing has ever been stolen. I know everyone on my hall and almost everyone in the building, so I have no worries. No one who matters (for the most part) goes to athletic events, unless you have a friend who's playing. We have some crazy awesome guest speakers that come lecture here- we've had internationally renowned slam poets, cutting edge economic scholars, authors... okay I can't actually think of that many good speakers, but it seems like there's always something tight going on. There are no fraternities or sororities, thank Jesus. People drink and smoke- it's college. Shrooms and LSD aren't unheard of, but aren't prevalent either. Off campus is a great music scene. Popular bands play all the time if you can afford to see them, and there's also a healthy local scene if you like cheap/free shows. It's a wonderful city. Hawthorne street, VooDoo donuts, Jackpot records, Powell's books, the pearl district, saturday market, etc. Of course, there is a huge fucking Nordstroms and Abercrombie & Fitch and all that horseshit downtown, too, but we only notice it when we're making fun of the mannequins or advertisements.

Rory

Students in dorms leave their doors open most of the time. Open door means come on in. You get to know your neighbors pretty quickly, and often find that you spend more time in other people's rooms than in your own. Athletic events are not very popular -- not like at a big university -- but they have their fans and their participants. Many students choose to go to other events on and off campus: theatre performances, open mics, parties. One of my favorite LC tradition is the Naked Mile. On Prospective Student Open House (when prospies flood the campus to make the final matriculation decision), current students run, bike, scooter, unicycle, and skip a mile around campus. Naked. While all the prospies and their families are on their campus tour. It's hilarious. I'm often up until 2am on weeknights finishing my homework (which I procrastinate on) or arranging events (Love Your Body Week, AIDS Summit, Coming Out Week, sexual assault advocacy training, etc.). Everyone also spends a lot of time on facebook -- it's just about the fastest way to communicate with anyone besides text messaging.

Momo and the coop, the student run a cappella group. We're awesome!

Dorm friendliness probably depends on the dorm and the inhabitants, but it isn't a stereotypical college atmosphere with people everywhere. No fraternities/sororities which is a good thing except there are few options on weekends. There is a lot to do in Portland but if you crave social interaction with your LC peers on a saturday night you will most likely have to create it yourself in your dorm room or if you are lucky go to a lame, probably poor attended party at someone's house nearby. Don't forget to BYOB.

Lee

People are very independent here and I would say that that helps lead to some overall lack of involvement. Clubs organize events but people don't go. However, the Music Coalition has been organizing some good concerts lately that people do go to. KLC (the radio station) seems to be in shambles, I don't even know if they are streaming online anymore. Part of this is not their fault as they got kicked off the regular air waves a few years ago and people lost interest. I think they should be revived. The Pioneer Log is in better shape than KLC, although not by much. We are basically out of money, we do not have enough to print all the issues we usually do in one semester. Also, we usually get paid and that is probably not happening this semester. However, until we run out of money, we will come out every Friday with at least 20 pages of pretty good studd. People leave their doors open ostensibly but that doesn't mean they want to talk to you. I guess it just is nice than the door being closed. People don't really go to athletic events, I think, but each sport has its own group of supporters. The Theater department puts on good programs and a lot of people go see their plays. And there are always smatterings of people at guest speaker events and lectures depending on the topic. I met my two best girl friends on Facebook before I even got to LC. Of course we weren't best friends then but it became that way after we met here. I don't think this is a common thing for people, it just happened to me. People are easy to meet in classes. I like having "class friends" and then once the class is over or the semester ends, we can be friends in real life. If I am awake at 2am on Tuesday, I am definitely doing homework. I think a lot of people end up staying up really late finishing things because they were socializing earlier in the day. I don't really do that but it seems a popular tendency. People used to really be into Homecoming but since they changed it last year to be "family and alumni friendly," its not so popular anymore. This year it was basically a disaster because they made you take a bus there but there weren't enough buses for all the people that wanted to go. It used to be a great drunken, debacherous night but it doesn't look like it is going to be anymore. Partying occurs all the time, however, I would say MOST people limit their partying to Thursday through Sunday. It's not that people don't have classes Friday that they party on Thursday, it's just that they are impatient for the weekend. There is no Greek life of any kind at LC, thank god. Last weekend I went to see a movie at the Portland International Film Festival, I saw the Dancer exhibit at the Portland Art Museum, I went out for dessert and chai tea at the Pied Cow on Belmont, and I cooked a dinner of tofu tacos. I usually do things that don't involved drinking on the weekends. However, drinking and good activities are often combined. The weekend before last I had a party where people drank but we also played Taboo, danced, and made creme brulee. Off campus, I go to a lot of movies, museum-y things, thrift shopping in Portland (the Bins, House, Red Light, Buffalo Exchange). Hanging out on Hawthorne is always fun, there are lots of things to do/consume there. I don't do a lot of nature-type things, but lots of people hike or ride their bikes in Tryon State Park, go on Campus Outdoors trips (to the coast or a mountain), or take the Campus Outdoors Mt. Hood ski bus to go snowboarding.