Lewis-Clark State College

« See more reviews of Lewis-Clark State College

It?s important for students to make the ultimate decision on the college they attend as it will be their first choice toward an ultimate career. Never forget to consider your family ties because it doesn't matter how great of an institution you are accepted into if you are wind up unable to maintain those important relationships you will get distracted from your coursework and fall short of your goals. Ultimately you need a strong support system if that means family, friends, or a well established organization. Make college your full-time job, even if you are only taking a couple classes if you can't make class one of your top priorities then you will not meet your potential. When you choose that right school stay committed; if there is something you don't like, start working to change it never simply complain. Get active and stay involved in your campus and community life. Talk to people and try a club, sport, or run for a student board position. Find a niche that feels like an extension of yourself and run with it... don't look back, make your future bright.

I have always been a hard worker in school and I have been determined to get good grades and succeed in school and in life. So I don't have much advice I would give to myself, but I do have advice that I would give to other seniors in high school. College is very high paced and it can be easy to get behind in classes if you don't keep up with them. The first day of college a person has to be ready mentally to do well and learn the material in the class. Writing notecards helps a lot in order to memorize information and use repitition to learn it the quickest. Another thing I find helpful is to get homework and assignments done as quickly as you can. Once you have the information you need to do an assignment or essay, do not procrastinate! Stressing over an assignment right before the deadline will result in a worse grade. More time can be spent studying as well if an assignment is done quickly. Lastly, having a balanced life by working out regularly and hanging out with friends in addition to studying is the best way to go!

My college experience didn't start out the greatest. There are many things that I didn't know and it was hard to find anyone to help me. Now I have learned where to look for scholarships and help. My counselors in school told me that there were none available, and my biggest downfall was that I believed them. When you have a 3.75 GPA all through high school like I did, use it! Don't listen to others, always take what they are saying with a grain of salt. As you first start college take everything as it comes and be sure to get out there and make new friends. College is where life begins and the fun happens. Live the college life to its fullest. I didn't learn this until second semester and it is so much better. Don't worry so much about the money during school. Yes you will be a broke college student like the rest of us, but you don't have to pay for entertainment anymore. Plus the fact is that if you keep good grades the money will come with the scholarships. Don't forget to live the college lifestyle!

A lot runs through the mind of a high school senior. Mostly, for me it was the fact that I had completed what felt like the final chapter of my education, for a little bit at least. I was going to get away from my city, state, and nagging parents. However, if I could have done it differently, I would have sat myself down and told my young, ignorant self not to waste my time during the first year of college. That there is more to life than social networking and parties. I would have told myself that a college education is a previlage not to be taken lightly. I would have explained how important it is to remember to go to class everyday and to get your work done, then you can go and off and have fun. I also would have made sure to tell myself that college is an investment in your future, and once you take a year off its very difficult to go back, and very expensive. Having said all of this, I do know now that going back after a few years off is definitely hard, and a strain financially, but its worth it.

I started college by going to a bigger university where I was seperated from my family for the majority of the year. Because it was a bigger university it was much more expensive. In order to pay for the cost of living on campus, tution and other school expenses, I had to work two jobs while trying to take 12-18 credits worth of class. It didn't turn out very well and I basically ended up throwing away almost twenty grand because I didn't pass my classes because I was working all the time. After two years of doing this I made the choice to move back home and attend the local college, Lewis-Clark State. After completing one semester I realize now this is where I should have started. The smaller college, along with staying at home, and only working one part time job has made it much easier to pass my class and retain some of what I learn in them. If I had a chance to go back and give myself advice, I would order myself to go to LCSC and leave the bigger university for later, or possibly not at all.

My college experience has been very positive. I have learned a great deal about myself. Starting my education in the Business program at New Mexico Jr. College gave me great insight as to what I did not want to do. Upon attendance at Lewis Clark State College, I entered the Education program and know without a doubt that I truly want to have a career in education. The instructors in the Elementary Education Program have been instrumental in helping me determine my career choice. Patient, understanding, and compassionate are a few words that describe what I have learned about myself from my college experience. I have really grown as a person in the last two years while attending college. I am much more confident and my self esteem is much higher now. The overall experience and education that I have recieved so far is invaluable to me. I know that I will be a succcessful teacher and look forward to the day that I am teaching my own class and fulfilling my goals as an educator.

If I could go back in time I would probably take myself out for some Mexican food and have a long talk about doing well in school. I would tell myself to focus more on academics and not worry about getting a job to pay my car insurance. I would help myself to set up a study plan and figure out early on what I might want to do as a career instead of just floating though the system. I would help myself find direction and set in place the fundamentals of a good study system that I am just now learning as a Junior in College. I would tell myself that college is not harder than high school but different. College takes more focus and self discipline. I would tell myself to work on being a better student and that college was a chance to start fresh and prove to myself that I can succeed in academia. I would tell myself to not be afraid to fail and to ask as many questions as I can! I would also tell myself to never take no from someone not qualified to give you a yes.

I am returning to college after 22 years. Going back to college has always been my dream. Receiving a 4.0 grade average for my 1st semester has helped restore my self confidence. I have bi-polar disorder and post traumatic stress syndrome from having a severely abusive childhood. My bi-polar disorder has for years left my ability to concentrate minimal. Along with my post traumatic stress syndrome, I am overcoming my fear of people. I am currently living on disability income. I feel it has left me living in a rut and want out of my current situation. Going back to college is my only way to improve my life. I’ve pushed through my fear and anxiety and made the leap to go to college. This was a huge step for me and I am so glad I did. While being married with my husband’s income, leaves me only with student loans to pay for college. I commute 70 miles a day to attend. It is stressful and a struggle but I will do what it takes to finish and receive my degree.

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to continue moving forward toward my dreams and goals, and never let anything or anyone stand in the way of my career. Three months ago at the beginning of my third semester, I thought I needed a little time off of school. A lot of things weren't going the way I had hoped, and I felt really down. So I took a semester off, and went from having school completely paid for to struggling to reapply for scholarships and funding for school. While I did work two jobs, now that school is starting again it is difficult to get back to how it was before. So again, if I could go back in time, I would tell myself to keep my head up, and push hard for what means most to me. I would tell myself that as long as I stay in school, everything after will be set. If I could go back in time, I'd tell 18 year old me to never change. I'd tell 18 year old me to stay in school.

Stick it out!!! My top advice would be to tell myself (my High School self) that it's worth it. I'm a 34 year old freshman/single mother...it would have been so much better if I would have been disclipined enough to get a higher education when I was younger. I would tell myself that it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Yes, it may seem difficult at times but it's so worth any and all effort and struggle to better yourself and your future (and the future of your son). I would tell myself to study hard, get good grades and focus on the end results. Although it's work, it's also so much fun. Look beyond the core requirements (past that math class that you really don't want to take) and see the possibilities, the classes that you want to take and where they are going to take you in your life. I would say, "You can do it, I have faith in you. You are smarter than you give yourself credit. The sky's the limit...go for it!"