Romeoville, IL
Lewis University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lewis University

My classmates have all been nice, but mostly reserved.

My classmates have all been nice, but mostly reserved.

Dear Nicole of 2003, You are getting ready for your first semester of college, so I wanted to share some wisdom (if you can even call it that). I am a junior and I have learned a lot along this journey towards adulthood. First of all, stay on top of your work. I know that you are a smart girl, but in college no one is going drive you towards success harder than yourself. It is easy to push work off, but do NOT procrastinate?it?ll be the death of you. I was really bad with this until I learned that I had to review classroom material almost everyday; not just if I had an exam or quiz the next day. The next biggest issue besides the work is the freedom to play. You?ll meet some of your best friends in college, but remember that you are still in school for YOUR future. Have fun, but be responsible. I would suggest making friends in different organizations on campus. It?ll get you involved in different campus activities and you?ll meet people with the same interests. Good luck! I know you?ll do well! Love, Nicole of 2009

I feel that the worse part of my school is the lack of social interaction between people. I transferred from the University of Illinois Chicago, a huge public school in the city, so the environment and atmosphere between there and Lewis University is so different. UIC also had a lot of commuters like Lewis, but I think the environment there was almost more commuter friendly. There were more lounges to relax, study, and meet people. At Lewis, the campus seems so empty after noon. I also haven't seen many things to get involved in besides fraternities/sororities.

I chose Lewis University over the other schools I applied to because of the major I chose. I am perusing a degree in Broadcast Journalism, and Lewis has one of the best programs. As a first semester freshman, I have already taken an Introduction to Radio class where I learned to develop, produce, and host my own weekly radio show. I also learned how to import music to our collection, promote the station, run the board for sporting events, and create liners and other production elements. It was a fun class and I feel prepared to take the next step.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to be such a worry-wart. I had been so scared to leave high school. I thought that I wouldn't make any friends, that I would struggle to keep my head above water. I was afraid of failure, afraid of not getting along with my roommate. I felt that anything that could go wrong, would go wrong. Yet, I had enough confidence to give it a shot anyway, dispite my fears. I would tell myself that no matter what, don't worry. I would say, "Amanda, you'll be okay. You are an intelligent, loving, charismatic girl, and you will d owell no matter what comes your way." As I write this response now, I am reminded of the John Michael Montgomery song, "Life's A Dance." There's a line that says, "Don't worry about what you don't know. Life's a dance you learn as you go." If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to listen to that song everytime I had a worry about my future. I would learn that no matter what, everything would turn out fine.

I do not think there is really a bad thing about my school. I am a resident student so of course there are issues with dorm life, but those are usually minor and handled in a respectful manner with those who are involved. I do think some things should be made clearer at orientation; like that we need to call a ?courtesy line? for noise complaints. Even though it?s a small detail, things like that would make the transition to college life a bit easier.

Leslie

Lewis University is a wonderful school to attend , weather your 19 or 40. For the youner generation, the campus keeps you entertained with lots of activity and theathical concerts and musical opportunity. The campus building are close and convienent to get to class during the cold weather. Facility and staff are readily available for tutorial assistance, as well as referal to psychological assistance if needed. For the older students as myself, Lewis has allowed me the opportunity to reflect on when I was young and what an opportunity this campus would have make in completing my degree 25 years ago..

Nursing, Aviation, Criminal Justice, Education, Theology

Leslie, there is a time and place for everything in life. This is your time to complete your education and have the opportunity to open new doors for women of color in four to six years from now. You are a strong young woman that is born to lead. As a future leader, you must learn history of former leaders and the struggles that affected all men and woman. Having your degree will open opportunity that don't exist to people without degrees. The process introduces educational knowledge that you might not appreciate at the time, but when the opportunity arises, you will be well prepaired and diverse on multiple level and able to lead others who lack that mental awareness. It is your destony and the history of women in the Ford family. Don't hesitate this journey and allow anyone to deter or redirect your attention. Your are truly a star and all stars shine. If you have to get a student loan in order to make it happen, then do it. Most important, don't allow the lack of financial aid to stop you. Keep going no matter what, never stop, you can and will do it.

Natalie

All the students at Lewis Univesity are extremly easy going and welcoming people who always try to make you feel like you belong at school with them and can always make room for you in their circle of friends.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to take a little more time in high school and work on those grades a bit more. I did pretty well in high school but a few semesters could have been better and they really could have helped me get more scholarships at Lewis. I would tell myself to go with my gut instinct and pick the school that I think is amazing in every way, shape and form. And that is what I did. They day I saw Lewis I fell in love, and I knew where I wanted to go. I look back and think about where else I could have gone, and I really picked somewhere that I wanted to be for college.

Anyone who likes a small school, small one on one classrooms and anyone who does not enjoy class discussions should not attend this school because these are all the amazing traits that my school holds.

Kelly

Lewis University is best known for its Aviation and Aviation Maintenance programs, its Division One Men's Volleyball team, and its Catholic and Lasallian heritage.

Dear Self, I know you are nervous about college, but take a minute, calm down, and breathe. You've done excellently in your high school classes and have proved that you are ready for college. As you begin next fall, remember that while grades are important, so is the rest of your experience. Do your best in your classes, but don't kill yourself trying to be perfect. Some professors won't hand out any As, so don't put the pressure of getting straight As on yourself. Work hard, but play hard too. As you move into the next stage of your life, you are bound to meet many new faces. Be open to what each person that you meet has to offer you. Just because you haven't heard good things about a person doesn't mean that you shouldn't meet them and have the opportunity to form your own opinions. Remember that not everyone is in your life for its duration, and that it's ok to grow apart from old friends because you'll be making plenty of new ones. Enjoy college and make the most of it. Love, Yourself

I'm disappointed in University Ministry because for a group of Christian people, they are not very welcoming. I believe that as a Catholic University they should also be more willing to embrace Catholic teachings and Tradition.

karla

Dear Karla, I know you enjoy worrying, but relax. Be very confident and trust yourself. Don't worry about what others are doing or saying, concentrate on yourself and take care of yourself only. You will get accepted into a college, and there will be plenty of opportunities for you to get financial aid. Life is hard and it will bring you numerous obstacles, but it will be up to you whether you see them as obstacles or stepping stones. Do not hesitate to ask for help. Don't be embarrassed. Please make sure you plan things out, do not procrastinate it will not get you anywhere. Pay close attention during lecture, take neat notes and if you need any clarifications on anything ask for help. Study for a test with days of anticipation. You are a smart young woman, whether you believe it or not, you will do just fine. Leave the boyfriend behind this is your once in a life time opportunity to succeed, don't make anyone your priority when your one and only responsibility should be school. Time flies and you will have a lot of work to do. It 's up to you to succeed.

Christina

A friendly campus with professors that tend to be caring of their students.

A friendly campus with professors that tend to be caring of their students.

Lewis University is a smaller school than the other schools I considered which is a good thing.

I would go back and tell myself that college is a little bit more fun than I expected it to be. It is amazing to learn to depend on yourself and then to develop more responsibility. Transitioning to college is a learning experience, not only from the school stand point, but also to learn about yourself and who you are. I would also like to tell myself that while college is not easy, it feels so much more rewarding than high school. Lastly, I would like to tell myself that living on campus can be a little hard at first to get used to, but you can make some very good friends living on campus. Other than that, I would not have any advice to give myself when I was a high school senior.

Mary

Lewis University is unique because it is more culturally diverse than other schools I considered. For example, there are 166 Asian students currently at Lewis University. Another way that this school is unique is that it has a variety of extracirricular activities. There are a number of clubs and organizations that students can join. Some of these include Psychology Club, and Pre-Law Club. Finally, this university is unique due to the fact that the General Education requirements are different. For Instance, Lewis University has Ministry General Education requiremnts. These courses encourage community service, cultural diversity, and religious knowledge.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a Senior, the first advice I would give is to study even more than I did then. Although I was a diligent student, college curriculums require more studying to ensure success. Also, I would tell myself as a Senior that the type of work in college is different. In high school, homework was mostly questions from the book or worksheets. However, college instructors expect that students will read the chapters that they lecture on. There is more research or formal papers required. Furthermore, I would explain that there is a contrast between how high school and college instructors give the information to the students. HIgh School teachers mostly put their lecture notes on Powerpoint. On the other hand, college professors deliver their lectures verbally. Moreover, college instructors demand that their students make group presentations. While I was in high school, most presentations were individual presentations. There are more individual presentations at the college level as well. Another piece of advice that I would give is to learn how to register for classes on your own since this is how students register for classes in college.

One trait required for a person attending Lewis University is to be conscientious. It is imperative at the college level to be hard-working in order to complete the required tasks. Also, someone who attends Lewis University accepts cultural diversity. This university has students from many different cultures. Therefore, it is important to understand other cultures in order to gain knowledge and ease communication between students. Furthermore, it is necessary for students attending this university is to help the community. Through different volunteer opportunities, people will have the opportunity to better the community by improving the school and society

Going back in time, the advice I would have given myself as a high school senior would be to stop looking at the private expensive schools and look more into the benefits of community college. I should have listened to my mother when she started talking about community colleges. But being a high school senior and thinking I knew best I would just blow off my mother's opinion. I wanted to be like everyone else and go away to school even though I didn't like to party. I know now that I should have listened to her. Mothers really know what is best. Together my mom and I would visit the expensive schools but after the visit my mother would always tell me to think about community college. I never did until about April of my senior year. The advice I would have given myself would be to start talking to community colleges around my house earlier because they offered the best options for me. Not only could I run cross country which is my passion I could save thousands of dollars. I wish I would have known that earlier in my senior year of high school.

I don't think shy students should attend this school. You need to be outgoing and willing to go outside of your comfort zone in order to make friends.

I think the worst thing about my school is how hard of a time transfer students have adjusting. Since my school is so small, being a transfer student was not easy. Everyone already has their own friends and even when you try to be in clubs and organizations the clicks dont want to have you join their group. I was a transfer student myself and the only friends I found were commuters. I am only friends with a couple of residents-which I am myself.

Danielle

If the Doctor with his TARDIS suddenly appeared to take me back to my high school self, I'd have a lot to say. Since leaving high school I've learned the importance of planning ahead. I would tell myself to always have an eye on the bigger picture, and to try being more conscious of the impact that actions taken in high school will impact the rest of my life. Taking the easy way out, being lazy and unproductive... these are what make the difference between the college of your dreams and working retail. I would explain that not going straight through college meant paying for that decision with sweat and long hours, working twice as hard as college-educated peers for half as much money. My high school self needed to learn to stop daydreaming about a magic fix to all life's problems and to instead proactively work to solve them. I would also tell my high school self to save the money from part-time jobs and put it in a high-yield savings account instead of frittering it away. Of course, that creates a paradox in which I am no longer applying for scholarships...

Lewis University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.