Lewis University

« See more reviews of Lewis University

I would advice parents and students to consider the following in finding the right college: 1. Major - search for a college that has a great reputation for your intended major and is connected to the industry of your major. 2. Right fit - find a college that fits your learning style. Some students are comfortable with large classes while other do better in small classes. Accessibility to professors is also very important. 3. Support - chose a school that provides services to support your learning needs. 4. Tuition - With increasing cost of tuition, find a school that offers scholarships, financial aid , and assistance with outside scholarships and grants. To make the most of the college experience, set boundaries for yourself while placing priority on the amount of time commited to studying. Ask for feedback from your profesors and dont hesitate to ask question. Complete your work in a timely manner and study ahead if possible. Get involved in extra-curricular activities to learn new skills, volunteer with friends, work on your hobby. make time out to cultivate friendships. Get involved in sports or any type of exercise to keep fit in addition to maintaining a healthy diet.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a Senior, the first advice I would give is to study even more than I did then. Although I was a diligent student, college curriculums require more studying to ensure success. Also, I would tell myself as a Senior that the type of work in college is different. In high school, homework was mostly questions from the book or worksheets. However, college instructors expect that students will read the chapters that they lecture on. There is more research or formal papers required. Furthermore, I would explain that there is a contrast between how high school and college instructors give the information to the students. HIgh School teachers mostly put their lecture notes on Powerpoint. On the other hand, college professors deliver their lectures verbally. Moreover, college instructors demand that their students make group presentations. While I was in high school, most presentations were individual presentations. There are more individual presentations at the college level as well. Another piece of advice that I would give is to learn how to register for classes on your own since this is how students register for classes in college.

Assuming that I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, and knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would advise that much attention be given to goal setting, prioritizing and discipline. I believe that this is the formula for a successful college life. The Bible says that without a vision people perish. I believe that a vision is what inspires and motivates people to action. Goal setting gives you the vision you need to move ahead. It's necessary for a successful college life. In order to realize your vision, I believe you must prioritize. Prioritizing doesn't put off the things that are necessary for your college success. Prioritizing puts the necessary things first. Prioritizing is essential to college life. Discipline is also essential for a successful college student. There must be a balance of study and recreation. There maybe times when studying must take precedence over recreation. A discipline of good study habits is a must for success. If I knew back then what I know now, I would follow my advice for a successful college life that would include goal setting, prioritizing and discipline.

As a college sophomore, I have gained so much knowledge of college life. If I could time travel to when I was a senior in high school, I would warn myself about all the responsibilities a college student has. For starter, I would recommend saving money/applying for scholarships to help pay for college tuition. Moreover, College courses involve mostly reading and writing. If I were a high school senior, I would definitely recommend reading and writing consistency because it would have help the transition to college easier. Additionally, I would tell myself to be more involved in school activities and programs from the start of college. Lewis University has so many programs to offer a student, but I did not know that certain programs excited. I would recommend looking more in depth at school activities before the first day in college. Overall, I would tell myself to enjoy my last days in high school and get ready for a rollercoaster ride because a college student has to dedicate time and effort to their education. College life is not all about courses; it is about discovering what the meaning behind the knowledge is and applying it to your everyday life.

I would tell myself as a high school senior to enjoy the journey of college more. I was intensely anxious as a high school senior about starting college; despite the reassuring of my parents, I was afraid that it would be far too overwhelming and stressful. However, I have obained a new, broader perspective. since being here. Indeed, college is demanding; there is a considerable amount of homework, daily required readings, and long-term projects that need to be completed. However, I have learned in my first few months that the keys to a successful college life and a satisfying life in general are organization, balance, and a positive outlook. By keeping a daily planner, I have come to realize that the variety of tasks expected of me can be placed in an organized schedule. Balance is also vital; college certainly does include a lot of hard work and commitment, but there must be time for relaxation, socaliziation, and exercise too. Finally, I would tell myself to view life in a more positive perspective. College is the time to find oneself. I believe upon leaving college I will be a mature adult ready to make my mark on the world.

College is not a social shock. The one main thing that changes is your perspective. New friends and a new environment can, and in the end, will be just as good and even better than the old ones. You discover that a friend is more than someone who will have fun with you, but someone who can be bored with you. You realize that teachers are people who understand that you are human and cannot handle unreasonably huge piles of homework. You realize that frat parties seem rambunctious from the outside, and inside there really is nothing to do but drink beer. You realize that hooking up is really a disguisting concept, and that people want a real, mature relationship. Maturity acting on your beliefs without worrying about what others think. College makes you realize that situations cannot always be controlled or avoided, and yet, it always works out ok. As a high school senior, do not mentally prepare yourself for college. Preparing yourself will only cause you to focus on your expectations of what it is supposed to be like. Instead, take it as comes. Observe what you see first, decide how you feel, and then act on it.

Knowing what I know now about the college transition, there is one piece of important advice I would like to let my high school senior self know — the value of balance. Upon entering Lewis University, unlike many incoming freshmen, I was not interested in partying or a typical social life. I was intent on academic success — of sleepless nights studying and perfect term papers. Yet as a junior now looking back, I realize that while all of my hard work and good grades have not gone to waste, I may have passed up on some memorable moments meeting new people. College is indeed a time for budding adults to transform into independent men and women preparing for the workforce, but it is also one in which students can expand their social horizons and learn about the beauty of cultural diversity. Had I told myself more about the value of balance at the university level, I think I would have found sooner that happy medium I am still aiming towards now — to maintain a sense of stability between performing well in my courses and building those friendships, communal experiences, and college memories that will last me a lifetime.

I would say to myself two things, look for the money and you are responsible for you! Exploring various ways to pay for college is extremely important. While subsidized and unsubsidized loans help and student credit cards will be easily available, emphasis on easily, the long term debt may not be worth it. There are far more ways to get grant money and scholarships, based on everything from basket weaving to academic merit, than I would have ever thought possible. Save the loans and credit cards for emergency situations and last resorts if possible. The transition from high school to college is like walking a tight rope from one side to the other suspended over a river. It takes preparation, balance and the right resources to make it. Without these the potential to be swept away by the current below increases. Do research about your school, have fun but remember no one will be there to tell you to get to class in the morning and develop a support system these are the people you can go to if you are unable to figure things out on your own. Highschool gave you the basics college is about applying them!

Alright bud, listen up- I have a very important piece of advice for you before you pop your top about the upcoming semester at Lewis University. College is an entirely different experience than high school, a chance to pursue your interests in greater depth and take a first step towards your dreams. But you know this is going in, thanks to the numerous seminars and consoling provided through our school system. Right about now you're wondering if the college curriculum is going to be as hard, as the teachers have assured you, as it's cracked up to be. Judging on previous transistions you have your doubts, and that's completly justified; Since the move to middle school, the difficulty of the schoolwork has been consistently oversold. Here is the flat answer for you to put an end to the rumors and promises. You come from an excellent school system and consequently are very capable of the work demanded by college. So no, it's not as strenuous as you have anticipated, but make sure to keep focused and apply yourself in order to keep it that way. Concentrate and you'll be just fine in college.

I would be more serious about my education goals and I would plan things ahead of time in order to receive scholarships and acceptances from school. Not only that, but I would also visit the different campuses to see what kind of environment they provide and what they have to offer. I would not assume that each college is the same since many schools offer different majors and even look at what the school is known for. Also, I would start saving up money for books and tuition. Not all scholarships give everything you need and sometimes I would have to pay out of my pocket. As a senior, I would knot know anything about college so I would have liked to receive some advice from my teachers, counselors, and family. I would have also been more outgoing and involved with school instead of quiet and always dedicated to just working at my job. In addition, I would make school my number one priority out of anything else and try to be in a sport team so I can join college sports to gain recognition and scholarships. Lastly, i would take high school courses that count as college credit.