Lewis University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lewis University

Benz

Overall I really enjoy going to Lewis University. It has a great nursing program that is definitely challenging. I learn something new every day while I am there. Not only that, but I really enjoy everyone that I have met there. The professors are always up for a discussion on anything school-related or not. My classmates I met have become really good friends and I know that I can count on them. There is always something happening on campus so there is never a dull moment on campus.

Nereida

I think Lewis has given me an overall good college experienced. I do not live on campus, but I have found ways to life out the college experience. I like the greek life there, teacher's are available to help students that need the help, and there are places near Lewis to go out to have fun with friends.

Ashlyn

I find Lewis University overall to be a very nice college. However, it is more focused on nursing and aviation majors. The art department is fairly small, and I feel like I am not getting as great of an education as I could be getting at an art school. Also, the dorm I live in currently is very small. I currently live in a single- dorm, meaning I have my own room. The campus, however, is very peaceful. The students are always saying hi to you when you walk past them, regardless of whether they know you or not. Everyone is very open to make new friends. The majority of the teachers are very hard-working and are committed to see us succeed. I would highly recommend this school, especially if you're a nursing or aviation major.

Kaitlyn

I really like Lewis. As a smaller school it still fits all the social needs and has enough activities to feel like a college, but enough focus and help with academics that make the private tuition price worth it. I feel personally that our campus is up to standards with safety and facilities. The students, professors, and staff are extremely helpful with any problems encountered and will put the students first. This school is amazing at helping academics with enough fun to not make students feel overwhelmed with work. This is definitely the school to go to if education is a priority,

Jasmine

I absolutely love the environment at Lewis. If it were not for my professors and advisor's encouragement, I would not be where I am today. Due to the small class sizes, I am able to stand out and teachers know who I am. I have been given many opportunities such as being an ambassador in two programs.

craig

I am an online student so I have no issues with the campus itself. The professors I've had thus far are great. If you purchase books with your loan disbursement, don't expect that right away. Sure if you live close to the campus you can purchase books through the book store using a credit and of course you'll pay an arm and a leg. If you get them off line you'll wait like me. Into three weeks, no refund, no money, no books and plenty of excuses why it hasn't come.

Carolyn

It is a wonderful school. A great education with a great value and pricetag. A beautiful campus, there are always people there working on the landscaping/trees/flowers/gardens. The labs are excellent, with plenty of opportunities for research, even as a freshman. Professors are accessible, well versed in their field, and willing to help with any academic or personal problems you may have.

Kelli

The community is very friendly and everyone here is here to learn. The school welcomes a very diverse set of people and everyone on campus is very accepting of different cultures. The facilities stay clean and tidy and the professors are very friendly and want to see their students succeed.

Laura

I like it a lot at Lewis. The small campus and classroom sizes make it feel more personal. You get a lot of one-on-one time with your professors due to small classrooms. The facilities are great and there are many opportunities on campus. Everything is close together so you don’t have to go far to get to class.

brenda

When I first thought of this school I didn’t want to go to it. I wanted to go anywhere else but not a school that I would have to stay at home. I’m so glade I decided to go to Lewis. The classrooms are a small size to get the most out of learning and extra help if needed. It is such a friendly place. Always something to do and everyone is in it to learn but also make friends and open up to new things. By me living at home it has not hindered my college experience except I don’t have to do my own laundry. Lewis always has activities going on and all are welcome even if you are not in that club.

I enjoy the fact that it is a small school. It was between lewis and another school and it is because of lewis' size that i chose it. To professors we are not just another number we are who we are and they care. I have access to so many things on campus which make it so much easier for me being that i am a commuter. I also enjoy the open availability that professors offer to us for any time that we need extra help or a quick run through. The culture of the campus overall is warm and inviting which is better than a big state school.

Brooke

Good school if you are strictly going for academics and live at home. Virtually no campus/Greek life available. Hard to meet people because almost half are commuters. Food is awful. Sports are not a big thing. New policy beginning next year where fresh/sophs will have to live on campus if they live outside of a 30 mi radius...yikes (dorms are small, dirty, and outdated).

Maddie

Lewis may not be like other colleges, but it is home to me. Lewis is smaller and not in a common area but there are still things to do on the weekends. I love the classes and activities that Lewis provides. I am always excited for the weekends whether it be spending time with my friends, supporting our sports teams or by playing a game in my sport that I am a part of there.

Isabel

Overall, Lewis is a good school with good staff. The classrooms are small enough for it to be easy to talk to your professor about the class. the people at Lewis are all very nice and I always feel safe when I am on campus. All of the facilities are okay, I am going to start using them more.

christian

Pretty great school and great administration as well! Love going to campus just chill even after school hours. There is so much to do around campus even when it seems like a small campus. People are friendly and like to interact with everyone as well, so I would definitely recommended to other people.

Alyssa

If you are a traditional 4 year student living on campus and can afford the outrageous tuition fees then its great, but for the rest of us living in the real world its not ideal. The class availability time frames are very limited and not ideal, there is no help for students with children, the school is not transfer student friendly, and its quite expensive. The only reason I go here is because it's close to home and I have a child that I sometimes have to bring to class with me.

Asma

Although I was hesitant to attend Lewis University because I knew very few people who were going to attend it as well, the staff, students, and everyone at Lewis made me feel right at home. As a Biology student, it is normal to have piles of homework and studying to do, but the best part about LewisU is that there is always someone there to help in times of need. Whether it be academic help or personal help, Lewis staff is always willing to lend a helping hand. An example of this is we have an academic resource center, a writing center, and if you go to the science building and ask any random person for help on a subject, they will find a whiteboard and teach you on the spot. The campus is beautiful, the buildings are well equipped, and the food is not as bad as one would expect college food to be! I am so pleased with my choice as I have yet to encounter a bad experience at Lewis!

Muroo

Good luck

Ashlyn

The campus is very pretty and very peaceful. I do feel safe for the most part on campus. I personally am not a fan of the education I'm getting, mostly because I am an art major. The university is more focused on nursing and aviation majors. Art isn't really a huge thing on campus.

Kimberly

It’s an okay school. Class sizes are small, campus buildings are a bit old . The only modern looking building is the science building. I’m an education major so the college of education building is a bit old. It’s a private university I would wish to see more remodeling of the campus. Professors are really kind though. So far all my teachers have been so helpful.

Kimberly

Overall, I love the school and the way I feel on the campus. The meal plan is the only thing I have a huge problem with because it's impossible for anyone who is not an athlete to use all their money before the end of the year. I also wish room and board were less expensive. However, the class sizes are great, and there are a lot of opportunities to be involved in on campus.

Beth

The environment was undesirable by both the students and the faculty. There was an air of piousness and righteousness that was unsavory. As a transfer student, I was not treated with openness and kindness in the theater department. It was challenging to stay for my degree, but I accomplished it.

Dawaun

Lewis University was the very first school i became interested in. It all started Junior year. I then started seeing other schools and thinking about other schools, forgetting about Lewis University. I got accepted to other schools and toured other schools. I later told my mom about my acceptance at Lewis University and I was surprised to hear that it was a school she was going to recommend. So we visited and when we did, I fell completely in love with the school. The classes were perfect sized in my preferences, the teachers were very nice and would stop the tour to talk to us visitors about different things about the schools and helping us with our career choices. We were being toured by a Freshman on campus and she seemed as if she loved the school as well, which made me feel a lot a better about the school. I met with my admissions counselor and he was very knowledgeable. After the tour, I said to my mom, i really like this school.

Kristina

Great school, but wonderful professors! They genuinely care for you and want you to succeed! They will help you if you need extra help and they will always give real life examples that they have experienced. Classes seem to go by quickly and I always look forward to gather as a community

Marty

I feel extremely lucky to be able to attend Lewis University. It reminds me of my high school, which is a great thing because I had a great experience at Marist High School in Chicago. Every teacher knows their students by name and is willing to help them achieve whatever goals they may be chasing. It is a very close-knit community; I cannot imagine going anywhere else.

Taraniquewa

I think Lewis University is a great school to attend. Unlike many, Lewis makes it a priority in a way to help students find employment right after college. Apparently Lewis is one of the best private institutions in the Midwest and it isn't hard to believe.

Haley

I love the campus and the people on this campus. Everyone is here to get a great education as well as learn more about themselves and improve their lives. I love the opportunities here and what I can accomplish. The faculty here are always willing got help and the campus is beautiful and very accessible.

Harry

There was a decline in enrollment and thus a decrease in acceptable standards in regards to admissions. Take note of the other student reviews. Academics have taken a turn for the worse. What was not acceptable as undergrads years ago is now common practice in their graduate program. Classes are eight weeks with meetings once per week. There is little to takeaway and apply to the real world. As one reviewer put it. This school today is at best comparable to a junior college. The staff consist of students that are unable to get a job in the real world. There is little help after college and the career services center is a joke. The overwhelming majority of students who graduate from this University do not return for obvious reasons. (Just under 70%) Potential employers and admission counselors doing research on prospective employees and students should set the cut off mark at 2016 when the previous president left the university along with most of the tenured faculty. Aviation anc transportation majors should look into Southern Illinois University Business majors should look into Loyola, DePaul or Western Illinois University Nursing majors should look into Loyola University or St. Xaviar Psychology, Sociology and Education majors should look into Northern Illinois University. It is unfortunate what has progressed in recent years. It is important to note that all Universities change and evolve over time. What is true now may not be how it is in a few years. The arch dioceses needs to replace the current president. Us Alumni from years ago received notice that he would accept meetings only if an alumni made a $400 payment to him in person. This does not reflect the Lasallian Heritage and core mission values.

Dimitri

It is a great university if your goal is to buy a graduate level degree, put forth zero effort, and get a piece of paper. A lot of people in this program realise it’s junk but continue to go for what they call a “piece of paper”. Graduate Assistants have access to test banks and sell those test banks for a price to students. Plagiarism isn’t is rampant and the faculty are hard pressed to kick out students who cheat. They seem to care more about enrollment and aren’t too selective. The cost is much higher than other private best in class universities but that’s the cost of buying a degree. The only thing you need to do is show up to class, buy the test banks, and copy papers. They will pass you through.

Azana

Originally, I was not excited about going to Lewis because I only knew of one other student who would be attending the same college as me and that made me nervous. Soon after beginning school, I fell in love with the campus and everything about it. The students and faculty are very welcoming and friendly. I found it especially nice that the campus had a chapel, as I was worried that I would become too busy to be as engaged in my religion. I would probably say that the downside of Lewis would be the campus food. Since my freshman year of college, they have been improving in the quality and diversity of the foods so I do not have much to complain about now. Overall, I love Lewis, I would recommend it to others, in fact I do any chance I get, and I am glad that I chose to complete my undergraduate education at Lewis University.

Vera

Despite it's title as a University, it feels like an expensive community college disguised as a university. I have not been attending Lewis for long, only a semester, but it is what I expected it to be. The size of the school has its pros and cons. I would only recommend attending if you plan on commuting. I cannot imagine living on campus as there is not much to do. As a commuter who does not spend much time on campus, I already find myself trying to find somewhere to go or something to do besides studying. While there are many activities, I find that they are not advertised enough and lack a sense of invitation. Lewis is a decent institution but I do not think you should be bending over backwards for it unless you plan on pursuing its top two programs of nursing and aviation.

Brett

Easy A. Go here if you don’t want to know how to apply what you have learned. I graduated with high honors from Lewis University as a transfer student from Juco. JJC was a lot harder. I desire intellectually challenging classes longer than 8 weeks and a masters program that is longer than ten courses. A degree is only worth it if you can apply the material to real life afterwards. I felt unprepared in my undergrad and even more so as a graduate student. It just isn’t hard enough. I transferred out to BenU. I am much happier.

Anthony

To me when I first visited Lewis I was enthralled and captured by the beautiful campus. I knew, when visiting the website and the campus itself this was the place for me. Now I have only visited it twice but I am committed and so ready and excited to not only learn and achieve academic goals but to live here as well. Shorter than a month and I am ready.

Maegan

My opinion of Lewis University is I love it. The campus gives a big campus feel even though it is not that big. The class sizes are small and the professors are amazing. The professors will also try to help you out as much as they can if you need extra help on what's going on in class.

Manjushree

uhh! its kinda good school... since am a freshmen to give better view

Jack

I originally chose Lewis University because it was close to my home, which saved me a lot of money. Now I prefer Lewis University over bigger colleges. The professors always try to make it clear they have time to help the students and that they are not just here for an annual salary. I would definitely recommend choosing Lewis University to future undergraduates!

Tyanna

I believe Lewis University is good school because they got a good acadamic program and sororities. Also, Lewis University in my opinion has a good environment and is close to home. Even though they don't really have good sports teams, they got a engineering program that I wanted to major in.

Aiden

When you first walk onto the campus of Lewis what stands out to you is its sheer beauty. The campus is an arboretum after all. One of my favorite things is to take a walk around outside on a nice day and see the planes that take off from the on-campus airport. Walks are a must for everyone too because there are always things hidden around on campus that I would have never discovered that are hidden gems. I have found a fountain, art gallery, rec rooms and quiet places to study where not one else goes. The professors are people who are passionate educators who want to see their students succeed and the availability of professors is amazing. If you can't schedule an appointment to meet with a professor it is probably because you didn't ask them or your schedule is already packed. Campus life is what you make of it. It can be boring for some but I find it quite entertaining and lively. It is important to be involved and find out what is happening on campus because there is something for everyone. Campus food can be a real hit or miss. There are days that I think it is amazing and can't get enough and there are days I am extremely disappointed. Overall, Lewis is a great school and should be considered by everyone when choosing a college.

Nora

Lewis University is, overall, a good institution. It is quiet on the weekends. Housing is adequate, but the food usually below average. There is a good mean every once in a while. Professors are usually easy to approach and meet with after classes. Almost all of them have office hours in between classes.

Dean

Lewis used to be a cool school with a lot of cool people from diverse backgrounds. Your friends were from around the country and even the world. It was diversity without the politics and the professors were knowledgeable in the subjects they taught. When you went to class you learned something. The campus was always busy. The green looked like a typical campus. That being said it’s disgraceful what they’ve turned it into. They’ve misinterpreted Lewis’s mission to mean inclusion no matter the cost rather than Inclusion without sacrificing quality. The classes are joke. The staff is 95% women. Not that it’s a bad thing; they just swung to be that type of campus...You get industry professionals who’ve never taught a class in their life or you get third rate professors like those from UTI, Robert Morris, and dare I say it University of Phoenix. Yes it’s that bad. I’ll go on further to say that their mba program is even worse. 8 week semesters which is really 7 and a lot of the students in those classes do not get the basics of business. You need ten minimum though I honestly feel it should be longer as it’s a masters. Everyone gets an A. If you have to try for a B. If theirs any board of education members reading this I beg you to pull the accreditation. This isn’t what it should be or used to be. They need to up their game and hire full time professors. The new president hasn’t got a clue. If you work for the arch diocese fire this guy. Whats the point of “raising up the rest” if provide them with a below average education.

Brandon

It is a nice, laid back university that is not extremely vocal of extracurricular activities unless you go out looking for them. The classes are what you would expect from a private college, the roster is usually very small, there is a lot of homework they give you, and it is challenging.