Life University Top Questions

I made out pretty well after graduating high school in 2008 and leaving for the Marine Corps. It is true that path led me to becoming a well rounded leader and working with the white house, but I made mistakes too that you should be mindful of. Don't buy the new sports car, you can't afford the insurance and the payments (speeding tickets don't help either), don't live in debt it is very hard to get out. Always save for a harsh winter, challenge yourself to save enough to live on for 6 months, this will promote success and independence. I also encourage you to keep in touch with family and friends because along the journey through life these may be the people you rely on to be successful at different times. Sometimes it isn't what you know, it is who you know. Go out there, make friends, take what ever jobs allow you to pay the bills, and when times get tough keep on keepin' on, you'll make it, even when you lose relationships, you'll make it. Don't stop moving forward in education or the world will pass you by.

As a high school senior, I was beginning to come out of my shell. I was very shy throughout my high school years. If the Lord would allow, I would go back in time and encourage myself to be more diligent in looking to God as to what career path He would like for me to travel down. I followed my sister-in-law into the nursing career because I was unsure as to what my passion in life was. I was a “follower” during high school and that is another thing that I would try to keep myself from doing if I could. Now that I think about it, if I changed anything from my past, I don’t know who I would be today. I may not have the same character or qualities that I have today. I may not have the same friends that I am so blessed to have. To be honest, I don’t know if I would go back and tell myself to change anything.

Devon

I would tell my high school self to choose a smaller, more affordable college. It's cool to attend a college that everyone knows, but it's very likely that everyone won't know you. Every class having around 100 students means you may not hear every word the professor says and no one would care. The professor will not know who you are or care what grade you get because they're too busy dealing with everyone else. However, on a smaller campus you can be in class with around 15 and 20 students. If your grades aren't where they should be the professor will know you and attempt to help you. Also, in a smaller school you will have the ability to be more involved on campus because you will be more noticeable on campus. As far as affordability, I know you don't understand how much college cost, but it does cost , alot. Jobs aren't guaranteed after you get a degree, although television shows and movies suggest otherwise. Get an affordable education at a smaller campus, because a bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree no matter the cost or place it was attained.

Darnelle

The advice i would give myself is going to college to further my education is the best option. Why? because you can have the satifaction in knowing that i'm trying to better myself by getting a higher education.

Failure is a pre-requisite to success, it is inevitable. The secret though is to take those failures and attempt to perfect them over and over again. Life goes on and when you learn not to let things in your past hold you back, that is when you will truly grow. The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own and you will continue to move forward with no excuses, no one to lean on, rely on, or blame. "Most great people have attained their greatest success just one step beyond their greatest failure -Napoleon Hill" Be a Leader through inspiration, enthusiasm, humility, and honesty. Live your life in an abundance of love.

I would tell myself that it's not as scary as I thought it would be. It's more exciting and enlightening. I would also tell myself to enjoy being a kid. I was in such a rush to grow up that I did not take the time to appreciate what little time I had left. Furthermore, I would tell myself to learn how to manage my time better. It is so easy to procrastinate and get behind in your studies. This is a huge stress inducer on many college students. But mostly, I would tell myself to have fun!

Kalyn

I started out at my local University, but transferred down to the community college. At my community college, one of the main things that I have learned is that there are teachers out there that actually want you to learn something for your money. I had a negative experience at the University, but the instructors I've had at the community college have shown me respect, and it gives me the motivation to continue in my path towards my degree. I have convinced my younger sister to look into a community college until she has decided what she would like to do in her future. She had always been the person who didn't want to go to college - she wanted to roam, and be free! I have learned that just because someone doesn't seem as if they would excel in the collegiate atmosphere, has no truth whatsoever the majority of the time. When there's a will, it can surprise the heck out of you, in an extremely great way!

Keoshia

College has made me a much more positive person and taught me that if I reach high, I can achieve my goals. My outlook on my future has changed and I have grown so much as a person just from my experience during my first semester.

Ikeia

I would tell myself that Life is undeniably shaped by your choices. I would say choose great things always. Do your best always. Be confident in what you want and focus on the vision you want for your future. Your independent thoughts are very important and not to be taken lightly by anyone. Going to college is great for your mind in discovering what your greatest talents and assets will be. Focus on self growth so that you will always be an asset for others who come in to contact with you. Never give in to temptations that will keep you from your future goal. Learn that your morals and standards are important and live by them daily because this will keep your mind grounded and you happy with yourself. Its also important to know that whatever you want to do or choose to do in life, have fun living it, doing it and pursuing it. Life is not easy but its rewarding if you stick to what you really want and even more rewarding when you achieve your goal. Last but not least, keep in touch with your family and friends becaue they help shape your life and thoughts.

Josiah

When I should have been in high school I was working and living on my own instead. Due to family turmoil I was left to fend for myself at 16. I had not even considered college because my parents who were good people but undereducated had instilled in me a distrust and even a fear of what was taught in college based on their limited experience and general suspicion of what they did not understand. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a sixteen year old I would convince the child that I was to focus on education and getting to a Chiropractic degree faster. If I could have been shown the future back then I would have already been helping people and earning as a Chiropractor almost 10 years ago. The Value of a good education was something I have had to learn the hard way but at least I learned it and I?m on my way. It is my goal to become properly educated and licensed as a Doctor of Chiropractic medicine. As such I hope to improve the lives of my family and those whom are in my circle of responsibility.

To prepare your social life for a big change. Try to get used to the idea that the people that you care about will not always be around and that you need to learn how to make new bonds with people at school and in the surrounding community.