Harrogate, TN
Lincoln Memorial University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lincoln Memorial University

Actually, I was never a high school senior. I dropped out of high school during my junior year and got my GED. In all honesty, I did not make the typical transition into college. One day I was working full time, and the next I was a full time college student. If I could have given myself advice at the time of my transition into the college atmosphere, it would have been to let go of my fear. My anxiety hindered my academic achievement in my first quarter of college. About half way through the quarter, I quit going to my classes. I passed one class with a D, and failed the other three. I took the next two quarters off, but finally decided to get over my anxiety and get back to school. Now I'm halfway into my second quarter back, and I have gotten all A's! If I would have gotten over my fear in the first place, I would be farther along in pursuing my education. I am relieved, however, that I was finally able to get over my anxiety and follow my dream.

Tiffany

My classmates are diverse and quiet.

My classmates are diverse and quiet.

I would take a day and just sit down with myself at a local Starbucks. While drinking our coffee, we would begin by looking over an outline of the semesters to come and the amazing people that are in her immediate future. The liquid in our cups will vanish and encouragement will arise. I tell her to preserver even when it seems like there is no end to the madness stress can cause. I would tell her to pay attention and seek guidance no matter what the situation or other students may think. Strive for the best grades that I would be awarded and achieve the unthinkable would be the goal I would set in front of her. Her future can never be overdone. She will begin to ask questions about boys that are involved in her life, and of course I must answer. "Take the most of every moment you are given; however, remember your teachings from your elders," I would say, "Always be forgiving and caring in every relationship God gives you. It may be your last." As the day comes to an end, she will hate to see me go, but know it is for the best.

The most frustrating thing I have encountered so far would be not being able to get the correct information when I need it.

Katherine

My school is a private school, which is growing very quickly.

My school is a private school, which is growing very quickly.

Lincoln Memorial University is best known for the medical school on campus. It is the DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine.

So far out of my college experience I have learned that life, specifically education, is a complete learning experience. I went into my first semester with the mind set of a high schooler. Although I did not completely fail, I did not do as well as intended. Now I know that next semester I must study much more than I did in high school. A college education is valuable to me so I can be the best that I can be. I want to glorify God with my chosen profession and without proper training and schooling I probably would not do too well.

I like Lincoln Memorial University because the school and campus is fairly small. The professors are truely concerned with making sure their students learn the information and they are very open with each student. The classes are small so the professor is able to get to know each student easier than bigger schools. Because the school is small, I know or have heard of most of the students that attend the university. I can make friends easier.

I have learned many great lesson from attending college. I have become much more independent and beginning to make big decisions for myself. I am living on my own, trying to balance and use my money wisely. It is easy to want to go shopping or go to the movies with your friends. Sometimes I have had to say 'no'. I had to find things to do on campus that did not cost any money. I have also met many people and made great friends. I am on the volleyball team at Lincoln Memorial University and the girls on my team are not only my teammates but they will be friends with me for the rest of my life. I have also made friends with other athletes and the people in my classes. I believe everything that I take from college will help me when I graduate. I want to be successful by getting a job, raising a family and enjoying myself while doing it. I have learned that I cannot trust every person and to keep my friends and family closest to me because they will be the first ones there to help me when I need it.

I think the best thing about my school is the great personalities of all the people in the area. I am from Indiana and all the people in Tennessee are very nice. They are great southern people that are only concerned with others greatest interest. The professors, coaches, and administrators truely want all of the students to be successful. Each and ever one of them will do anything for the students that attend the university.

Ellen

My school is known for athletics. Lincoln Memorial University has a very wide variety of athletes. They come from all over the world; we have brazilians, germans, british, south americans, canadians and americans. They all play different sports on campus and help make our university what it is today. I happen to make up a part of the atheltes on campus; I play softball.

Going to a school seven hours away from my family and four hours away from my friends and boyfriend, really forced me to become independent. I have seen myself change into an adult in so many ways. I have taught myself how to study, keep things clean, become very organized, keep my priorities in line and how to approach and react to certain situtations. I made several mistakes, like putting studying for a big test off until the night before or throwing a load of color clothes together with the white clothes. These mistakes all taught me and shaped me into the person I am today. "You Live and You Learn", as the saying goes. This university has been valuable to attend for me because it really has taught me to grow up and stop depending on others for things. It's taught me to ask questions and never hesitate to do things or say things. Go for it all and never give up!!! Attending Lincoln Memorial University has absorbed me into a stronger person.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the distance it is from my family. I am from Georgia, but my family moved to Mississippi this past summer and I never get to see them. I am always so busy with softball and I never get to see them or invite them up to LMU. It's sad and hard.

Rebecca

This year I will be attending my 10-year high school reunion. When I was in high school, I had very little self-confidence. I thought the most important things in life were hanging out with the cool kids and having a "good hair day". I wish that I had known then that I had the ability to achieve great things in my life. Back then, I really wanted to become a medical professional but I didn't have the confidence to pursue this. Now that I have experienced life a little, I realize that I really can follow my dreams, that is why I have decided to become a nurse. So, if I could go back 10 years, I would tell myself to not put limits on yourself, think of all the possibilities out there, and do what you want!

Classes at Lincoln Memorial University are challenging! There are no "easy" classes and there is no time to coast. You have to put 100% effort into your studies, but in the end it will be worthwhile!

Lincoln Memorial University is a great school for students who enjoy outdoor activities, small class sizes, and individual attention from faculty and staff. The LMU community is like a family, and you'll find that there is always someone there to help when you need it.

LeAndra

If I could go back in time and talk to myslef as a highschool senior I would tell myself to not overstudy so much. I would also tell myslef that instead of taking that Earth Science college course I should have taken a speech class instead. Knowing me, I probably wouldn't listen so I would have to shout it and say that I should have paid more attention in the Psych class that I took. Just because I was feeling sleepy and didn't want to pay attention was no excuse. I'm sure that if I had just gotten a sip of coffee I would have been fine. More importantly, I would want to let myself know that I shouldn't be so serious about matters that does not concern me and burying your head in a book isn't the answer to evrything. lastly, I would tell myself that I did good, I tried my hardest, and that I had a dreamand goal in mind and I was able to make it come true.

The worst thing about my school, that I consider, is the fact that the boys can actually get into the girls dorm. All they have to do is jam their key in the lock and the door opens. I wouldn't mind much if that whenever they do this the girls door lock breaks. Which makes it hard for the girls who actually live there to get in, forcing them to walk around the building and going in from the back door or call someone to open the door for them from the inside.

This school is for someone who wants to get an education and is a self starter. The teachers want you to learn but they can't do evrything for you. They try to form a personal relationship with you so that the student feels like they can talk to them about homework problems. In my opinion, this school is perfect for those who love a peaceful scenery, calm environment, and teachers that you can tell actually care.

Joshua

Lincoln Memorial University is a small school with about 2000 on campus students. LMU is a very affordable private university with a tuition freeze to help keep tuition costs down. Other private universities that I looked at had extremely high tuition costs and a lot of students. LMU has free peer tutoring that almost all students use a lot in their freshman year especially. Every other school that I looked at students had to pay outrageous costs for tutoring that fell far below the quality of tutoring a student can get at LMU.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school I would tell myself to listen to the advice principals and teachers give to students. Every time my teacher stood in front of the class and told us we needed to change our study habits I would tune her out and think about the weekend. I would tell myself that even though I thought leaving home for college was easy, I was very wrong. Leaving for college was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life. I would tell myself to study more so I could get the better scholarships, so I did not have to take out loans to go to school. I would tell myself that I was good enough to go to college, that I could graduate from college with a degree despite my background.

Jasmine

I would definitely tell myself to look at more small, private universities in a bigger city, because a small city is not for me. I would also tell myself to look into more scholarships because college is really expensive. The books themselves cost a hefty bit. I would tell myself to be mentally prepared for anything. School work in college is a lot different from high school work. I would tell myself to be more organize and to make sure to have good time management.

Melissa

LMU has an amazing medical school, DCOM. But, they also offer many other amazing choices. I am in the pre-vet/vet tech program. From experience I know that the professors will bend over backwards to help you out. I would definitely say that LMU is best known for the way the professors encourage, help, and guide the students.

During your senior year, please do not take it as a year to relax and enjoy. You need to be preparing yourself for new study habits, the kind that actually work. Also, remember who you are and what you love; I promise that you will find a major and/or a career that has something to do with it. College will be tough, but it is not as bad as people make it out to be. Staying focused is the number 1 priority. Although it is "just" school, it is laying the foundation for a career that you will love and enjoy for the rest of your life. Do not take classes and teachers for granted. Enjoy every piece of knowledge that you obtain, it will benefit you in the long run. Sometimes there will be stress, but rest assured knowing that someone will always be more than glad to help and that the stress will fade. The new people will turn into your new friends, don't hold back who you truly are. People are going to like you no matter what. Just stay focused, school truly is a gift.

I wish I had known more about the new, fun things that the school offers. Such as, a rope swing course, its access to the Cumberland Gap Trail, and how many volunteering positions that the school can introduce me to.

Lincoln Memorial University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.