Lincoln University-Jefferson City

« See more reviews of Lincoln University-Jefferson City

If I was able to go back and give my past self advice, I would definitely take advantage of an opportunity of that magnitude. There haven't been any terribly earth-shattering transitions into college life; I live at home and attend community college to save on expenses. I would go back and give myself advice to act as a catalyst to change this lack of change. In highschool, I was terribly afraid of making decisions and essentially just coasted on my good grades; then, when the time to actually pick a school came around, I had missed scholarship deadlines and hadn't made any solid choices about actual instituaions to attend. I had been too preoccupied with notions of 'this school is too far', 'this is out of state, the tuition will be too high', this instituion is private', 'what if I don't even like it?', and the things of that nature. Therefore, I attended the local communtiy college and continued on in my routine. I would go back and tell myself to apply for scholarships like crazy, and apply to institutions with reckless abandon, just to see where I would be accepted, to escape this monotony now.

I have attended Lincoln University for almost one year. In that one year college has helped me find myself. College has given me a lot more than responsibility and independence. It has given me the perseverance i need to succeed in what i want to do. I am currently pursuing a degree in psychology at Lincoln University. Once i graduate Lincoln i plan on going to graduate school to further my education. I hope to one day help other people in ways that i can make society a better place. I have grown up surrounded by people with different struggles; whether it be alcoholism, or certian medical issues. I consider myself a very strong person, therefore i always find myself putting people in need before what i want or what i need. I think my inner drive to help other people has led me to pursue what i want to pursue. That is why my college experience has been valuable to attend. I may have not found my best place in society if i wouldn't have went to college. Finding myself is just the beginning of a long journey called life, and i will be ready for every step.

Peers and prior college students say that college is hard and you will have some of your best and worst times in college. All of that is true but the only person that will hold you back from experiencing one of the best times of your life is yourself. College isn't that hard, it's what you or I or whoever make it. Get involved, study, volunteer, and have fun. Chose the right people to hang around and be wise. Always remember, "NO ONE IS WORTH YOU LOSING THIS EXPERIENCE OR WASTING YOUR MONEY TO BE HERE!" It's not a highschool where they're lineant and give you chances or suspend you for doing silly things that you could of avoided, they will kick you out and take your money and wouldn't think twice about it because it was your fault to fight, or not wake up for the classes that you chose at that. Work comes first and all the rest will be there even friends. If a person doesnt do anything to ehance your life or uplift, you need to re-evaluate and elminate. Show me your friends and I'll show you your future!

“Nerd,” “geek,” “weirdo” - these words were very familiar to me throughout high school and college because I was a virgin. For 19 years I kept away from many temptations and carried myself with pride. However, when I entered into college I let my peers get to me, and as a result I will be a father come October. Although, I do not regret my baby girl’s soon to be birth, I do regret that I let the lie of the male stigma get to me. It is a lie, that “a man isn’t a man, until he has sex." A real man is defined by standing his ground, and taking responsibility for his actions. In fact, being a virgin is one of the rarest things life has to offer, and unfortunately, I gave it up. If I could, I would take it back. I would tell my high school self, “be proud of who you are, and don’t let anyone take that away from you.” However, although, the chances of me traveling back in time to speak with my younger self are near impossible, at least I can tell others the real truth about virginity.

I am only able to wish that I could venture back in time and tell myself all the life lessons that I have learned. However, since time makes it impossible to go back and venture into the previous years of my life I will take a trip down memory lane instead. Therefore I have written a letter to myself as a high school student: Dive in head first and live life with no regrets. Know that all the struggles make you a stronger person and that treating everyone equal is important. Study hard in math because you are going to need it. Always keep in sight the goals that you hope to keep and never let anyone tell you that your not deserving of the best in life. Most of all do not let people run over you and know that if you treat others well you should be treated with high quality too. Put your heart out there and do not be hesitant. Oh and those creatures that you think go bump in the night are actually all figments of your imagination. There is nothing to fear, but fear itself.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would shed some insight on how college really is, and what to look out for. Being in college has shown me so many things, and if I could go back in time I would let myself know, to be careful of people and my surroundings. When I got to college I was always to myself, and a few people who I was cool with were similar to me. What I found out was that everyone who I thought was cool wasn't in my best interest. Back in high school I had friends that looked out for me and was there. When graduating my high school friends faded away, and reality struck. Going back in time to high school would be a wide awakening for me. I'm a nice person who doesn't mind helping, and I've been that way since high school. Coming to Lincoln has made me see that I was being taken advantage of, and it really hurted my feelings. My college self would tell myself to "Be wise because people come and go." Reality is real!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, knowing what I know now, I would most definitely tell the young senior in high school to start working and saving up for the simple college expenses. I would tell myself to make sure I filled out more scholarships and grants than I wanted to. Also, it's best to love yourself and be sure of yourself before going into college, because the college world can take you for some twist and turns. Do not let others influence you into doing things you do not want to do, stand your ground and remember your ethics and morals as a beautiful young lady. Remember the reason you went to college, to grow as a person and to most of all get an education. College is a big step from high school making the transition into college, growing up can't come at a better time. Put your all into it because now it is NOT free! Make it worth your money and of course have fun every now and then. You can do it and prove the people who doubted you wrong!!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself; it would be amazing. I would make sure I get the most important message across and that is to not worry about being away from home because you will make friends and your family will always be there when you really need them. Also I would tell myself that I need to be open to change because going to college will open your eyes to a whole new world and so many different types of people. I'll also tell myself to work really hard to get a car that summer before college because college would be so much more fun if I had a car. One final thing I would tell myself is that your first room mate is going to be a wild, but loving female and with her make sure you set all the ground rules about sharing a room at the beginning of the school year. Before I am done talking to myself my goal would be for me to always remember everything happens for a reason and never sweat the small things in life because pain is only temporary.

If i could go back and talk to myself as a senior i would have talked to myself about a job, being more prepared, and traning my self for a nee surrounding. I choose a job because college is a very expensive place. Although i recieve financial aid I dont have any money to servive off of while living on campus. My parents both work at minium wage paying jobs so they bareley make ends meet. But if i had a job things would be so much better. Next preparing for more work would have been something i talked to myself about. I know you can do anything you put you mind to but somethings things get etremely hard for me. Lastly training for something new. i live in a poor city (East St.Louis, IL) and i have never been away from home. So going off to school i was afraid for a change in the beginiing. Now i love it because it ia very dangerous where i come from. As i stated earlier i love my school but these are jus a few things i would have talked to my self about.

So far out of my college experience I have gained a new love and admiration of myself. As a wife of ten years and a mother of two boys ages 6 and 8, I feel I may have lost myself and who I was while devoting all of me to my family. Once my youngest started full day school I made the commitment to goto school. I have learned so much about myself these past 5 quarters that I will carry with me forever. I have learned I am a smart and talented woman (I have maintained a 4.00 GPA to date), and I have learned that I can be the mom, wife, daughter, student, and woman that I want to be. I have learned to appreciate myself so much more and give myself the credit I deserve. I am in love with my education and I intend of following my dreams and achieving my PH.D in Psychology while still participating in the PTO and my children's school and making my husband dinner every night and I FEEL and I KNOW I can do it!