McMinnville, OR
Linfield College-McMinnville Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Linfield College-McMinnville Campus

Susana

Linfield is very well known for football (and sports in general), academics, speech and debate, and for student volunteerism and involvement. Locally it's a learning hub for elementary school students and for the Latino community. There's a great local network of graduates so it is a hub in the community.

I would recommend that I have more faith in myself. I was so nervous about moving to another state by myself and second-guessing my decision to go to a small school. So many people I knew were going for big, name-brand institutions and I worried about being left behind or missing out. Senior year of high school was a blur of sleepless, anxious nights. I kept thinking "what if I'm wrong?" It held me back. I know now that even back then, in the midst of all that angst, I knew what was right for me and ended up at the perfect place. My school, Linfield College, helped me through my initial inhibitions and pushed me to grow. Freshman year I was shy and subsequently had difficulty making friends. Senior year I was a Student Trustee on the school's Governing Board, Student Body Vice President, a member of my sorority's executive council, and a paid anthropological researcher working on an academic publication. Looking back I knew what was best for me, even if I didn't know it at the time. I should have had more faith in myself like I do now.

The professors and staff members are highly invested in students. Students really are the primary focus of the school. It's easy to find your niche if you don't mind putting in a little effort and talk to professors. There are lots of groups on campus in which to make friends and lots of opportunities to get involved. It's a great place to be if you want to create deep connections and get involved.

Jamie

Linfield students are extremely driven academically and socially by the shared goal of achieving greatness at the same time as creating relationships that will last a lifetime.

If I could let my past self in on any college secret, it would be that it is completely 100% okay not to know what you’re doing. Not everything has to be planned out perfectly because it is going to change, and not just once but over and over again. Embrace the possibility that there are endless possibilities, and don’t be afraid to admit that you want something else. Just because someone else may want something for you doesn’t mean you are stuck on that path. This is your education and your life. This is when you get to become whoever you want to be.I would also warn myself not to stay up until 3am watching movies with the cool people I’ll meet. However tempting it is to do whatever you feel like because you now have the freedom to do so does not mean it is a good idea! There are some things that are better left undone, or rather there are better things to do, such as sleep! You’ll only regret what you don’t do and sometimes you’re really going to regret not sleeping when you had the chance!

We have an online system that some of the professors use for posting assignments and quizzes called BlackBoard. Sometimes it can be difficult to use and easy to get lost in. Things occasionally get lost between the teacher's posting and the student's recieving end and vice versa. It isn't that bad but this is one of the common complaints of students. Not all professors use it though so some students are lucky enough not to encounter it.

Sabrina

Linfield College is community of diverse, movtivated, and happy people who share a love of inquiry and discovery.

Linfield is the school for me because it is everything that I want. Greek Life is present but not overpowering, the student-to-faculty ratio is small, and the students are proud to maintain a sustainable campus. When I was applying to Linfield, there's no way that I could have anticipated how much I would come to love this school. I couldn't have known that my roommate would soon be my best friend or that the science building would be my favorite place to relax. I love the subtle beauty of the Linfield community.

Don't worry, you're making the right choice. You will meet some of the most honest and down-to-earth people in the upcoming year, so be friendly and don't keep your guard up 24/7. Go to concerts, dinning adventures, and hiking day trips. Be mindful of what you pack with you. Be an active member of a few clubs. Don't hesitate to call Linfield College your home.

Bienvinido

Much of what people say about the college life is false. It is not all about partying, non-stop studying, depending on your major, trying to finish college all in four years, or that you could simply take out a loan to pay all the bills for your tuition, books and supplies, and personal spending. No, college is all about being smart, thinking your way through before you get through that point, improvising, and adapting. You always have to adapt to changes that you might not otherwise suspect from the beginning. Examples of these adaptations includes taking up a job, applying for as much scholarships as you can, while maintaining your grades, better time management, looking for internships, and scheduling independent studies outside of your classes relating to your major, if you wish to be ahead of the game. Besides this overwhelming workload, you must set aside time for projects relating to your major, besides independent studying. A great part of being in college is developing those vitals skills that future employers wish to employ in their company, and applying for internships and doing projects related to your major are some of the ways of marketing yourself to future companies.

Caitlyn

My school is best known for being small and close-knit.

My school is best known for being small and close-knit.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to start looking into different study methods and figuring which one works best for me. I would have had a much easier senior year if high school had I done that.

I believe the worst thing about my school is that it is starting to sell out to big corporations.

Morgan

Linfield College is a place full of friendly faces that offers challenging classes and an emphasis on global awareness.

The transition between high school and college is harder than you think! There is so much hype about moving away from your parents, meeting your roommate, and making new friends. People always tell you that college will be the time of your life and that it’s something you’ll never forget. But what they don’t tell you is that the transition into college is scary, overwhelming, and a rather uncomfortable experience. Looking back, I wish I had been more open to meeting new people. Instead of staying in your new room, go out and introduce yourself to your hall mates. Laugh lots, smile often and don’t be afraid to make a fool of yourself. In terms of school, don’t take on too much! If you have too many classes and become too involved, you will not be able to enjoy the people around you. It makes a world of difference. Last but not least, be yourself. Find friends who are just as goofy and as weird as you are. And always remember that it does get better! I promise that once you make it through that first semester, you’ll be a much happier person!

I wish I had known how hard it would be to get off of the campus and out of McMinnville. Because Linfield is a small school, it can often be pretty boring.

Kevien

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college, I would definetely make better grades so I would have a jumpstart in college. I would also prepare myself for the determination that I need to make it to class on time and study more.

I would say that it is good to come in knowing what you want to do -- but don't be so fixated on your goals that you don't take into account how much you've changed in those four years. I came in certain of my double major, and the first year dropped one of them to a minor, the next year dropped it entirely, third year picked up a language minor, and fourth year I'm realizing I would have liked to double minor with business. It's necessary to keep an open mind and really think through how your options in school will influence your marketability once you've graduated. College is different from high school, and I think it's smart to keep in mind that you can now be considered a young adult, and that you're creating the life you want to lead after you graduate. Don't be quick to dismiss extracurricular activities and community service; often you find hobbies in club activities that can redirect your career path in ways that you never would have considered before trying it. Find the right balance for YOU between being focused and being open.

Someone who really craves that "city" atmosphere -- Linfield College is in McMinnville, Oregon and it's pretty centrally located. It's an hour away from Downtown Portland, and hour away from the coast and some great beaches, only two hours to the mountain if you're into skiing... But McMinnville is a small town, and Linfield is a big part of the community. There are some great places to go on Third Street, and even though everyone jokes about the sidewalks rolling in early in the evenings, there is alot happening in this community.

Some of the student organizations can feel a bit clique-ish in the leadership areas. LAB - Linfield Activities Board is pretty diverse, but ASLC - Associated Students of Linfield College is a student elected board that can feel a bit like an extension of greek life at times. This is not to say that they play favoritism or that it reeks of nepotism, but as someone who tried to be hired for a position by the board and was passed up for a lesser qualified but better connected underclassman, it can be frustrating at times.

Jenny

Classmates are often very welcoming, open-minded and motivating. Class sizes are normally small, so the opportunity to really bond with your classmates not only on an academic level, but on a personal level is presented to you.

Believe. Following your passion of music does not, in any way, make you less intelligent than someone studying Math! Love what you are doing and you will discover so many opportunities that hard work brings. Music is definitely more complicated that what you're seeing now and you are going to LOVE learning about it. Those business classes you've been taking in high school? Worth it, kiddo. It's going to be tough moving away from home, but I promise- you will be okay. There are other people who are going through the same thing as you! Reach out to those friendly faces, because it never hurts to have great support from friends and some of these people you meet may become your lifelong friends. Just remember: you don't have to do what everyone else is doing either. It's okay to say "No." As someone once told me, " It isn't awful to make mistakes. The awful thing is not learning from them." You will have some frustraing times in college, but they will show you why you strive for and deserve the great times. Enjoy this new chapter in your life and BELIEVE.

The study abroad program at this school is unbelievable! Over 70% of students here study abroad at least once while attending school. Plus, the college will PAY for your flight the first time you travel!!

Arielle

Linfield has small class sizes and great professors that actually care and develop personal relationships with students.

Given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to live without fear and take (safe) risks. I think that the most important thing in life is to have no regrets and take advantage of every opportunity given to you. Every time I have felt a bit of hesitation in college, I have made it my goal to jump into whatever I was hesitant to do, whether it be deciding to study abroad in Ireland and Africa or joining a new sport like rugby. I did not discover this fearlessness until recently and now, looking back at my freshman and sophomore years, I wish I had applied this philosophy and maximized my first two years of college. It would have eased the transition by keeping me active and exploring. Now that my time in school is almost over, I am applying this even more whole-heartedly. This advice has helped me be at peace with exactly who I am and where I am in life since I am in control of my own destiny and this would've been useful to get me started off confidently in college.

I wish I had known how small it really was. While the small size has its benefits, when you go elsewhere and see their social life, you can feel like Linfield is lacking in some social opportunities. At the same time, the academics are phenomenal and the professors are excellent. So what you would get at Linfield is a quality education you cannot get elsewhere, you just have to hunt more for social opportunities and try to get involved in as much as possible.

Linfield College-McMinnville Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.