McMinnville, OR
Linfield College-McMinnville Campus

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Linfield College-McMinnville Campus

Vicki

I have been able to obtain a wonderful education that I never thought possible. It has not only shaped my life, but it shows my children how important continuing education is as well. I was able to attend one semester of college after high school, but I didn't take it seriously. I got married and had two children before I realized what a college education meant to me. It has taken many sacrifices to be able to return to college, but it will be worth it in the end. I'm confident that my children, even as young as they are, can see how important college is. They see me studying every day and listen to me tell them how fun school is even when you're an adult.

I have been attending Lamar State College - Port Arthur since I was a junior in high school. It started with a dual credit program, but I took an initiative to take night classes after I got out of high school. Now that I am in my final semester as a high school senior, I have more experience than any other student my age. At the completion of this semester I will have accumulated 27 college hours. I am so excited about my accomplishments as well as the knowledge I have picked up along the way. Going into my experience at LSCPA, I just wanted to test out classes, to see what I liked for when I entered a university. Well, I have found my niche, discovered great study habits, met new people, experienced new things, and most importantly, matured as an overall human being. I get very fulfilled when engaged in classes. I feel as if I want to stay in college forever. The knowledge is my drive. I know what I want out of college because of my experiences at LSCPA, and can barely wait until I enter Baylor University for the summer 2010 session.

Jared

My classmates are willing to go out of their way to help me and they are very willing to talk about anything that goes on in the classroom and outside the classroom.

My school is best known for sports and academics.

Overall, I believe that attending my college has been a valuable college experierence for many reasons. First off, I like the fact that most students that attend my college are athletes. Me, being an athlete myself, seem to relate to these athletes very well because we share a lot of the same things. Most of my best friends on campus play a sport(s) so it's easy to relate to them. Second off, I believe all the professors at my college are very helpful not only in the classroom, but also outside the classroom as well. Since all my classes have approximately 30 people and below, the professors get to know the students not only on an academic level, but also a personal level as well. I believe that attending my college has been valuable because I found out who I was as a person just by the experiences I have gone through. I mean, yeah, there have been some tough times both academically and athletically, but those tough times made me grow as a person by talking it out with people that live on campus. Pretty much all the students and faculty on campus are willing to help.

Leanna

If I were to be able to step back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take advantage of everything that is offered to you. I would tell myself to still go to college in a different state to experience the independent life and use my resources as much as possible. I would persuade myself to develop the confidence to still make new life-long friends with all different groups of people. I would tell myself that if I do not know what I want to major in right away, that I should try different fields of study until I discover the best fit for me. I would want to tell my high school senior self that asking questions is always helpful and branching out to others is a great way of knowing that you are not in this transition process alone. But most importantly, I would tell myself to work hard, but have as much fun as possible while being in college and take up as many opportunities as possible. Take risks because you will never know until you try something new!

Students who prefer a large campus in a big city would not like Linfield College. With the average class size being 30 students, there is a lot of teacher-student communication. If a student does not like small classes, they would not like Linfield. Linfield College is also a NCAA Division III varsity athletic program, so they do not offer athletic scholarships. Linfield is a strong community where there are many opportunities to meet people, so if a person likes being in the shadows, they would not like this small liberal arts college.

The most frustrating thing about my school is trying to find rides off campus. In the city of McMinnville, there is no public transportation system. There is a shuttle that takes you to some cities, but students will have to mainly find rides. But there are rides to the airport during busy travel times which is very convenient. Many students do offer rides through a Ride Share program which is very convenient.

Kiandra

If I can go back in time and talk to myself as a high school student, the advice I would give myself would be when the time get rough don't quit and if you really want to be successful in life strive for it. Your senior year in high school is more then just completing high school, and it's more then just dealing with the teachers and students that made it hard for you. It's just preparing you for your next step in life. Have you even thought about what are you going to do after you walk across that stage and recieve your diploma? What college you going to attened? Your major? or what career your going to persue after college? These are the main questions you should be asking your self now because after high school your life begins. College may be a little more challanging then your previous school years, but your strong you can handle it. As long as you stay focused nothing challanging should get in your way, all your hard work will pay off. Who knows, everyone just might be looking at their future doctor or lawyer .

Sierra

If I had a chance to go back in time and give myself advice, I would actually say very little. Choosing a college is never easy, but the whole process of deciding is part of the adventure. The one piece of advice that I would give is one that I received from my dad as I was struggling to choose between my top two colleges. He told me this: "Sierra, no matter which of these schools you choose, it will be the right choice, because in the end, your college experience is what you make of it!" His statement has remained true for me throughout my now 2 1/2 years of college. There are many, many wonderful colleges and universities to choose from all over our country and world, but stressing about the choice is not a good idea. In the end, if the college seems to be a good fit for you, if it has a strong academic emphasis, and if it works out financially, go for it! In the end, what you get out of college is what you put into it. That's the advice I would give to my 17-year-old self!

I think that the best thing about my college is the overall atmosphere around campus. People are very friendly, open, and welcoming. I felt at home and comfortable from the get-go, and have really enjoyed my experience ever since I showed up on campus the first day of my freshman year. The professors really challenge you to work hard and to enjoy learning new things, and there is an overall desire in the students to do well and succeed.

In some ways I wish I would have known exactly what activities I wanted to get involved in so that I could have planned my time better from day one, but at the same time, I am glad that I had to decide as I went along. There are things that I wanted to be involved in but couldn't in the end (because you can't be involved in everything), but I don't have any regrets because I have learned a lot. But my advice to new students would be: be open to trying new things!

Heidi

When I was in high school, I was fairly shy. Even though I often had questions about things, I was generally too nervous to speak up. I was worried that I might bother someone, and didn't think that people would really want to hear what I had to say anyways. When I first came to college, although I attempted to be a little more outgoing, I still generally waited for others to ask me what my thoughts were. As a senior in college, I have finally learned to come out of my shell a little more, and it has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me. If I were to go back and talk to myself in high school, I would tell myself to allow my voice to be heard. I have learned that in general, professors don't mind having a student ask questions if it means that as a result they really understand a class. To them, an uninterrupted lecture is not worth the price of confused students. College is a time to learn - a time to get questions answered. But a question won't receive an answer until it is asked.

You shouldn't attend this school if you're not excited about learning and okay with stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while. Linfield is definitely a school that is focused on learning, and some of my best experiences have been when I allowed myself to try something new.

I think that what I talk about most is the friendliness of Linfield. This applies to not only students, but also faculty and staff. I have made many good friends here, which is important, but I think that what I love most about Linfield is that professors and staff members ask about how you're doing, and not only do they actually care about your answer, but if you're having a bad day, they will do whatever they can to make things better.

Daniel

Overall, my classmates are very active in the learning process with a true desire to expand their knowledge and apply what they learn to their intended careers. As a result, it is a very competitive atmosphere in the classroom, but relaxed enough that you can always look to each other for help. They are very understanding in that they can relate to the difficulties and requirements that other students must deal with academically, this common ground making the students closer both in and outside the classroom.

Linfield is best known for being a well rounded liberal arts college, which is why the Princeton Review claims we are "one of the best in the west." Here we have both high quality academics and very competitive sports: our football program is known for the current streak of 54 straight winning seasons and, academically, Linfield students have been very successful in winning Fulbright scholarships. What I think makes Linfield stand out amongst other small, private colleges are the outstanding professors, 98% of which have the terminal degree in their field; we have the opportunity to learn from true experts.

Danny, you can do it. I know you are satisfied with graduating as the valedictorian of Coupeville High School class of 2008, but don't slow down now ? build off of the solid academic foundation you have formed these past 4 years and strive to do the same thing in college from the get-go, because you can. The reason I say this is because right now you are accepting the fact that you will no longer be able to be at the top of your college class ? it will just be too competitive and all those other students are coming from high schools that offer numerous AP and IB classes. Well Danny, about midway through my first semester, I realized that I (we) can have the same level of success. Your hard-working attitude can conquer any "disadvantages" that you are going in with. Never expect less than what you are capable of. Make your family, friends, and your hometown proud of you! On a more personal note, realize how much Mom and Dad have done for you and please help them in return (I wish it didn't take me so long to figure this one out).

Sharon

They are interested and engaged, taking classes that will benefit them the most.

I would tell myself to remember who I am and to be true to myself. Don't make friends with people just because they're "cool" and stick to your personal beliefs and morals. If anyone tries to get you to do something you don't believe in, that person is not worth your time. Also, I know it's easy to start out strong doing your homework and studying everyday, but don't get into the habit of spending ALL your time with friends and neglecting your work. Yes, it's cool to be able to hang out with people whenever you want to, but you do live with them, they'll still be there on the weekend, and they have studying to do too. Instead of hanging out playing video games, get together with them and do your homework together. It's the best of both worlds!

Some of the "general ed." graduation requirements are a little tricky to fit into your schedule and fulfill, while others are way too easy.

Rhiannon

Linfield College is a place to discover how different everyone and everything around you can be, while being able to expand your knowledge of your strengths.

The main advice I would want my high school self to know is that the transition to college is a life changing event and not to be worried or scared. I'd tell myself it is fine to take chances, actually it is what helps you grow, and that there is no need to cling to old habits like in high school. In college there is much more around you if you are willing to experience it and take a chance to discover something new and different, it might become a great influence on what you think. To open your mind and allow every opinion to effect you, even if it something completely outside the norm or something not within your knowledge. Allow yourself to grow, you may think there is no more you could build into your own database of a brain, but there is much more that will help you to become someone that you want to be. I'd describe the great experiences to come if I will allow myself all of these.

When describing my school, Linfield College, to my friends who mostly stayed in my home town, I like to tell them about how involved the student body is. The student body here is something I've never seen at any other schools, including high school. I'll describe how this group of leaders helped the transition of the freshmen into college life and how they keep the campus fun and interesting to live on especially because this is a small town and there is not much to do within a walking distance.

Linfield College-McMinnville Campus administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.