Albany, OR
Linn-Benton Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Linn-Benton Community College

Todd

LBCC is a school where you can come and not only find who you are, but you can also learn more about yourself and where you see yourself in the next 5yrs, 10yrs or the rest of your life.

So I would have walked up to the younger me and said "Todd, you might not realize this but you are about to make the decision of your life. Should you continue your education or search for a purpose in life. Well the answer is simple, go to college now and make a better life for yourself. Don't do what I did and throw away 25 yrs of my life before going back to college. I knew what I wanted to do in high school and I am pursuing that now. If you don't do this know, don't wait 25yrs to go back to school. The sooner you go to college, the sooner you can have that life you dream of. I am still searching for that dream life, why because I didn't listen to myself and pursue those dreams at your age. All I ask is that you sit down and think about what you really want and how to get there. You have the tools at hand, use them."

That LBCC is the best choice I have made in my life in a long time and I should have listened to myself years ago and go to school when I had the chance earlier in life.

Paola

Yo, highscool me! You're about to face one of the biggest transitions of your life and unfortunately there is no easy way to stay on top of it or safe line to get you out when you're in a pickle. There will be mistakes, lots of them. It will be up to you how you handel them. However, this time around don't focus so much on what you could have done better-focus on what you will do better. Take those mistakes as lessons- don't get hung up on them, move on and make more, because you are learning from the best professor available-life. And always remind yourself, "there's no such thing as failure, only delayed sucess." -John Osborne

The worst thing that students encounter at LBCC is our nonexistent library hours. The library is only open from 8am-4pm and closed Friday through Sunday- making it almost impossible to actually take advantage of the gorgeous building.

LBCC outwardly appears as a cold and pratical campus, however as you walk through the halls the touch of greens and browns sooth the senses and the smiling glances of strangers and the ocasional how are you from aquaintaces induce comfort-comfort such as the embrace of the warm sweet waft of a latte on a cold morning.

Jacqueline

I would probably advise myself to take a little time off and really figure out what I wanted to do in life. People tell you to run off to university and just figure out your major when you get there. Once upon a time, that may have been good advice, but college is way too expensive now and messing around and losing all that money is a very bad choice. Take some time. Work a minimum wage job so that you can really understand why you don't want to work like that (or find out that you don't mind it!). The internet is an amazing tool that takes the place of that faulty idea of taking loads of classes to find out what you're interested in. Spend some time learning about a host of different topics so that you can narrow down what you want to do with life. Maybe travel if you can. When you first move out, the world is a huge, fantastic, and diverse place that you (usually) have very little experience with. Find out what it has to offer!

You should go to this school if you are someone who is interested in going into research and moving over to Oregon State University, in the neighboring town of Corvallis, which is a fantastic research university.

The financial aid department! They make things extremely difficult to get started, and they fight you on trying to pay them which seems rather silly. Make sure that you get things rolling WAY in advance so that you have time to fix everything they mess up.

sharon

I'd say to myself, Sharon, don't believe your mother saying that your parents can't afford to send you to college. You are smart and there is a lot you can do in this world to pursue what is right for you. Take the time to know your own thoughts and feelings on life, and not just what you think everyone else wants for you. Don't be afraid of change. It is a constant in life and the best thing you can do is learn to roll with it. If you're scared about what to do, be more scared of what you won't do than what you will do. Remember, there will always be a friendly person willing to help you find your way if you just look. It's not about knowing what the outcome will be. You will learn it's about trusting the process and finding out along the way. You just have to take that first step, and then the next step and the next. One step, one moment, one hour, one day at a time for the rest of your life.

This is only my second term there so I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I would say the worst thing is the Financial Aid office not being able to keep up with the growing student body.

On a day to day basis, the frustration I feel comes down to aesthetics. There is a lot of cement and little beauty. On a higher level, the most frustrating thing is how far behind the financial aid process is.

William

To be truthful, I can't think of a thing. The staff,faculty and counselers have been highly informative, totaly dedicated, and displayed a level of compassion and professionalizm above and beyond what I think most people would expect. As a "displaced worker", my wife and I were quite aprehensive about school, having not attended for nearly fourty years. These fears were quickly put to rest by the afore mentioned people; so much so , that my wife and I are members of two honor societies, an event that would not have been possible without their level of professionalizm and dedication.

Overcrowding. In these economic times, I feel that community colleges are like the small businesses of our country, by that I mean they are the lifes blood of our nation. I am not trying to take anything away from a four year college, but community colleges give so much and recieve so little in return, such as government funds. These institutions are geared to putting people back to work as soon as possible, a daunting task at best, and to have massive budget cuts, lack of funding for teachers, equipment, and lab facilities is truely appaling.

Knowing myself, I probably wouldn't listen to anything I had to say, however, I would try to convince myself to study more and play less. College is serious bussiness; you get out of it exactly what you put into it in terms of education. If you do not commit yourself, you are not going to succede. The transition from high school to college need not be difficult, if you are prepared; it is not necessary to be a "A" student, but it is necessary to have good mathmatical , science, and writing skills. Without these very basic and fundimental skills, you will "waste time playing catch-up". Time better spent aquiring new skills and knowlege, and oddly enough, "having fun". That's right, having fun; the new "freedoms" that can be explored and enjoyed, can make college life far more enjoyable than high school could ever have been, or ever was. If you have to be here, then you might as well take something with you when you go. Some would call it education, I call it "hope"; hope that you can make good choices about your life to come, for the choices made will dictate the life you lead.

Chloie

The school is open to diversity and the instructors are very personable. I have found that the faculty and staff have one primary goal in mind: to ensure YOUR success. This is different from the larger, local university which is more after your money than your education and LBCC being a community college has less expensive tuition. Also, the campus is relatively small, so it is not overwhelming.

If I could go back, I would tell myself to talk to all the university advisors I can find (academic, financial, personal, etc.) and foster a relationship with my academic advisor. I would encourage myself to not be freaked out about not knowing 'for sure' what it is that I want to do. I have found that few people 'have always' known what they want to do for a career. I would make sure that I understood college exploration is alright, that taking a myriad of classes in different areas is healthy to an extent. I would also encourage myself to not be so stressed out, to relax and enjoy the time and the experience. I would also tell high school senior me to slow down and figure out what I want to do, not what my dad wants me to do. He will not be working for the next 25 years in the career field that I am studying for - I will be working in it and, ultimately, I need to be happy.

Any person wanting to gain a higher education should attend Linn-Benton Community College. There are classes for degree seeking students, as well as classes for personal enrichment. The only person I would not suggest attending this school, or any other school for that matter, is the person that is going to college because someone else is forcing them to attend. If you have a desire to go to college, spend less money while doing so, and go to a school with a positive environment, then Linn-Benton Community College is for you. If you have a heartbeat, then come!

Anyone can attend this school. there are many types of people here and the staff helps everyone feel welcome.

Go to a community college first and get your partying out of the way then go to a big four year college. That way you can really buckle down when you are paying more for your education.

Very diverse. Don't let apperances fool you, everyone is friendly and wants to make friends. Don't be scarred if someone looks different or acts different everyone is here to learn from the classroom and from each other.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have told myself to just hand in their and that life is going to get better. I just need to keep my nose in the books. I would say that college life is way different then high school in a good way. I would tell myself that I need to work a little harder on scholorships because that is very important. I would also tell myself that taking classes without my good friends isn't a bad thing but could possibly be the best education plan for college!

The best thing about Linn Benton Community College is that the teachers really get to know you, and it isn't unlikely to have the same teacher more then once.

Their isn't anybody who shouldn't attend Linn Benton Community College because it's just an all around friendly school that is open to anybody.

Stick it out even though it seems difficult at the time, it's worth it in the long run. Go to EVERY class lecture because there may be something said during a particular lecture that will make a big difference. Don't be afraid to utilize all the student support services available to you, they can really help.

The instructors seem to genuinely care about your college success

Relatively small school with a good student / instructor ratio

janae

its a lot of work but their is still time to have fun

its a lot of work but their is still time to have fun

small class sizes and low cost compared to a 4 year collage

everyone who wants a nice small collage thats close to osu and ypu can take advantage of the agreement that lbcc has with osu

Linn-Benton Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.