Lipscomb University Top Questions

Yobanni

If i could go back in time and talk to myself i would hit myself in the back of my head. I would do this because i want myself to wake up. my senior i just focused on getting good grades instead of looking for scholarships. I was in a this group called Latino Achievers that helped me get ready for college. of course i had to also help with this but i didn't. I applied to the colleges i wanted to attended. So the advice i would tell myself is to start looking for scholarship. to talk and open myself more to people which is necessarily in college. their is not to worry about going to college because it will help you in return. college will open doors that bring good things to you. last but not least i will also tell myself to stop being lazy and do what you have to do. Nobody is going to be checking on you if you are doing your work. you have to grow up and take responablity of your actions.

Wesley

I would tell myself to definitely pursue more scholarship opportunities because college is expensive. Constantly stressing about money the first semester effects grades, and bad grades mean you fail. As to the transition, I would tell myself to be open to meeting new people. College can become lonely if you don't have any friends.

Riya

The key piece of advice I would give myself about college life is to stop being so worried about everything. The anxiety is not going to help the experience, but hinder it. Being nervous and a little scared about making the transition is a natural thing to experience ,but do not overdo it owing to the fact that everybody is going through the same thing. Speaking of everybody and people, do not be afraid of talking to them just because you do not know them. The best way of making new friends is to be open, friendly, kind, and respectful. These characteristics will let you get in further life than being a mean grouch and should not be restricted to friends, but everybody you meet in life. Another thing I would like to mention is to not spend your be your overwhelmed and agonized over your your homework and tests: it is what it is, so just do it. You will do well in some classes and badly in others. This just means that it will require more effort on your part. My last piece of friendly advice would be to have some "me time" and relax.

Kortney

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would go back and tell my high school self to be focused and take every course extremely serious. I would make sure I know that my education will prepare me for the future because as advanced as society is becoming, I am expected to be knowledgeable in the working world. My success relies on my education, and throughout the years I must perform as a scholarly student and apply progressing devotion each semester to my academics. The most important factor is GPA because that determines financial aid. During my current college experiences everything has reflected back to financial aid, and for me to continue my education I must be able to afford it. It has been a struggle to be successful in college because I continuously worry about tuition payments. I currently work extremely hard not only at school, but at a job that contributes to my tuition. I do believe that if I did not have to devote as much time to work and worry that I would have a much better performance in college. Start the devotion in highschool and it'll reflect in college!

Ariel

Me 2013: Hey Ariel Me 2009: You look like me...Umm am I dreaming or something...? Me 2013: Yes I look like you and no you're not dreaming. That's besides the point. Listen, there are some things you need to know about college. Trust God in every situation, don't date anyone until you graduate, go to more sports games, don't take no for a real answer, come out of your shy shell, start praying now for parking- Me 2009: Wait a minute, how do you know all this stuff? Me 2013: *sighs* Kid, I've been there.

You may think school is tough now and that college is going to be tougher, but you are better off doing it now then when you are alone raising 2 kids, working and going to school. Right now your life is easier and carefree, but also full of great opportunities that will help you grow into the wonderful woman that I know that you will be. Go to school, live life to the fullest, and regret nothing. Love, THE OLDER YOU

Denise

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have alot to say. I would tell myself to take each day at a time. Time is precious and it goes by within a blink of an eye. 4 years will go by very fast so have fun. Express yourself and your feelings. Dont be worried about what other people think. I would tell myself to stay focused on my grades and study. I wish my high school grades were better. I would tell myself that friends are not that important, my education is. The final thing I would tell myself is to believe in myself more. You will be surprised at how much you can achieve if you just have faith. I would love to go back in time and tell myself these things. It would make me a better and stronger person.

Dear Leslie 2011, Today you are frustrated and lonely walking the halls of your cold, dreary, soon-to-be alma mater. You think to yourself, how can you understand, my parents have me living there version of a happy life with their separate spouses and children. My lack of test taking skill will not take me to the college of my dreams. Plus, I don't have enough money to go anywhere far away. Again you try to tell me through the page, "My dreams of leaving this place and creating MY life in a plac far away, that sems like a fairytale in reality." Girl, think again. Cinderella once said something very wise, " A dream is a wish your heart makes." and your dreams will come true if you keep pressing onward toward your goals. I urged you to never give up the search for the "Dream School" because it's out there. Don't be afraid to dream, because if you look for your dreams in everyday life, soon they will become a reality. What I am trying to say is best stated in the movie "Tangled", "Go, live you dream." because soon it will become a reality.

Kandice

I would first tell myself to keep working hard and doing my best and to not slack off with the given senioritis that comes along during this time. Even though working hard and doing well is important i'd want myself to know that it's ok to take a break and have some fun every now and then but not to overdo it. Here would be the best time for practice self-discipline and time management. As far as the college experience I would inform myself to start looking and applying for any and every scholarship and grant availabe as soon as possible. One of the last things I would say is to not stress too much over the idea of college because it's not as bad once you're here. You only think it will be from all the views shown in movies and tv shows for the most part. Maybe a few college slackers fit in that category as well. So work hard, do your best, manage time, don't stress and have a good time. Enjoy your current life and get ready for the future one.

Galina

Being a college student has taught me a lot. I definitely underestimated the toughness being a college student. If i could go back in time, I would give myself the advice of working harder and developing a habbit of working hard. It is very important that a student works hard in college.

I would give myself a pat on the back. I did everything I could do and more to insure a wonderful future. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and most of all, the sense of accomplishment. I would tell myself to keep my chin up and to never give up. A great education is worth every sleepless night, every hard test and every annoying teacher.

Conard

Self, don't date anybody. You're not going to marry the person you're dating in high school so just be good friends with everybody. Your emotions are a little out of whack right now and they may get you in trouble when combined with a dating relationship. Since you're not dating you don't have to worry about this but it may be worth telling your friends--don't date someone back home if you're more than 3 hours away at college. I should add that there are exceptions to this, but you're not of those. Save money too. College is not cheap, which is why I'm applying for a scholarship as you read this. You're not going to need help in life. Know who to ask and when to ask. Finally, be yourself. No one is you better than you.

If I had the ability to give my high school self some advice, I'd tell her that her hard work in high school will pay off when she goes to college and is able to coast through most of her gen. eds. I'd tell her that college is so much better than high school in every way imaginable. I would also be sure she knew not to worry about her relationships with people from high school; she and those other people will all change a lot in college and some of those relationships will run their course while others will be strengthened, but its all a part of life and growing up.

I would tell myself that no matter what you think college is like, it will always be different. Also, don't make your decision on where your friends are going. Ultimately, you are going for your degree and not to extend high school. Also, have fun with it because the place you choose is going to be where you are living for the next few years. Pick a place and enviornment where you know that you are going to enjoy yourself and make a lot of friends because if you don't like the school, you aren't going to enjoy college.

I learned a lot about responsibility during my two years at Ivy Tech and I'll learn even more at Indiana University Northwest. Both schools are so different and require students to be open to new experiences. Ivy Tech was very basic that let you guide yourself during your program, with help. Indiana University is very different. IU wants you to be on your own with very little help. It will require a lot of focus, determination, and time management. Both schools were opened and allowed you to wander and feel free but, with IU, I'm going to learn more. My education will be taken to a higher standard. I'm going to learn to better accommodate my business field and learn what life is really like to be in a tight structured environment that changes with very little notice. This is what I have been preparing myself with Ivy Tech and now the opportunity to try it before stepping out into the real world. I've been at the IU campus for a while and I know I will succeed. This will help me when I go into the business field because every day is a little different.

Undoubtedly, the first life lesson taken from my new college experience is how to manage money and debt. After great effort in search of scholarship my family still fell short of tuition therefor to stay at Lipscomb I applied for two loans. In order to avoid extreme debt after graduation I am already slowly paying off these loans and impliminting a budget. I know these habits will be rewarding in the future but I have my whole life to worry about money. The greatest lessons of college truely come from campus experience! From teachers to classmates, collge has taught me how to deal with different personalities! From wordy books to lengthy assingments, college has taught me how to manage time and deal with what I am assigned! From missions fairs to paint parties, college has taught me how to be a part of a community! College offers countless new experinces that in one semester have begun to form me into an adult in society.

Camaria

During college, I get to enjoy the good thing about serving in the community, getting involve to make a difference in other people's life. Not only it provides experiences about the real world, it also give a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. It is also a powerful moment where I can build valuable friendships and relationships with incredible people and share those life-changing experiences with others around me. Before attending college, my worlld was self-centered and I knew nothing about what I could do to help others and what I had in my hand to share to others and not only serve them but also serving myself too. College constitutes a turning point in my life where I can look back and be proud of what I accomplished and be prepared for a more challenging future.

College has been a benefit to my life, both socially and academically. Coming from a small private high school, the shift in my enviroment opened my eyes to new opportunities. I am meeting new types of people that I never would have met before and learning not only how to get along, but also how to live in the same room. I am able to find friends that relate and understand me better. The academic facility provides many labs and subjects that I had not even thought about before. The faculty ensures that students graduate well prepared for their career as long as the student is academically involved. While standards are high, plenty of help is offered to acheive goals.

I have been priviledged to attend a school with great professors that truly want you to succeed. I have been able to experience fun student activities and been given many opportunities and free gifts from the university. I have been apart of a community that loves to have fun but is dedicated to serving the Lord. I have learned so many things about myself and had to build a stable group of friends that were uplifting to me. It is a lot harder in a diverse school to stick to your grounds and find that close group of friends but also love those around you and befriend those who are very different from you. Learning to manage time between school work, friends, and a healthy amount of sleep and excersice is crucial and a big learning component in college. Once these things become balenced it is easier to find that happy healthy lifestyle that helps you grow best.

The experiences I have had in college have allowed me to gain a new perspective on others, myself, and life. The people that I have been blessed to call my friends are people that I never would have imagined being friends with who have truly broadened my way of thinking. I have gained a new level of self confidence. I used to have an idea in my mind that no matter what I did, I would never be good enough. Now I see just how much I am truly worth. Before college I had a certain image of this world, and I knew just what I wanted out of it. Now that I have been away at school for a little while, I have begun to dream dreams about what I could give to the world, rather than what I could take away from it. I have started to see everything in a new light. My college experienece has allowed me to answer the questions of who I am and who I want to become more than I could before. Additionally, my education is giving me a path that will help get me to that person I want to become.

In my college experience, I have gained valuable knowledge for my major, and I have only been there for one year. Lipscomb has been amazing in helping me make friends and letting me get to know my teachers. It has been the perfect college for me to attend, because it is small enough of a school that it is not overwhelming. This also makes the class sizes smaller, which makes it easier to talk to my professors and let me get the help I need to do my best.

Keitorria

The transition from high school to college has been a difficult one for me because I lack the financial aid that I need to attend school. If given the chance to go back in time and talk to my self, I would say the following: "Keitorria, I know you feel overwhelmed and indecisive about your college choices, but go with your heart. Make sure you search night and day for scholarships and financial aid opportunities. Exhaust all sources! The hardest part for you will not be keeping your grades up or staying focused, but it will be finances. Do not give up!"

Saly

If i could go back to my high school senior year, the advice that i would tell myself is that i needed to apply to more colleges unstead of three so then i would of had more options in what school to pick. i would have applyed for more scholarships and grants. and i would have apple for them in the beginning of my senoir year, so i wouldn't have to rush it during the end toward graduation. I would have work harder in my academic because even one point can make a differs in my GPA. I would have visited my top choice school to see what's liked and asked more questions about the college I wanted to go too and how things work there. i would have asked more question about my major for the college i wanted to attend. i would have token the SAT not just the ACT, but both. And i would have token it many times to try to raise my score. And most of all i would have studied more.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself not to be afraid to open up to other people at the school and to be more outgoing when I first started school. Knowing that would have let me make more friends faster instead of staying in my dorm pretty much all of my first semester as a freshman. My life would not neccesarily be better if that would have happened, but it would have made the beginning of my college experience a lot more fun. I hope more high school seniors and college freshmen realize this or are told this.

If I could go back to being a high school senior I would not change anything. My high school experience was very challenging and well prepared me for college. "Do exactly what you did all over again."

Janet

Please take all the math that is available. Read more books of interest, and visit many museums, art galleries, parks with rich history, view the galaxy, and never think about dropping out of school. Stay in touch with yourself, respect yourself and you can respect others.

I would tell myself not to take high school for granted and tell myself to learn as much as possible!!!

You are beautiful the way you are, but don't forget how much you love to run. Worrying is as useful as a broken arm. The things you need to be worrying about will hit you when you least expect them and there won't be anything you can do about it anyway. Sing the way you always do and don't let anyone intimidate you. Don't waste your time on men who don't love you nearly as much as they say they do, that will only hurt the ones who really love you. Remember compliments you've received, forget the insults. Remember the golden rule and everything you learned in kindergarten."If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Take your vitamins. Dance. Respect your elders. Don't expect anyone to support you. Be patient. Stay in close touch with the friends you made in high school; they will be more trustworthy than anyone you meet in college.

if I cold go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to not be discouraged when you think you have no way to pay for college. I would then tell my high school self that I should take the initiative to apply to as many scholarships as I possibly could because I would need them later. Lastly I would tell myself to have confidence and do everything you have to do and do it with a smile on your face, because it makes all the difference.

Chase

I would advise parents and students to simply keep the future in mind when making all choices about which college to attend.

Don't get discouraged. If you can't get into your first choice school, there are still many more options. You can always transfer. However, you never know how much you may fall in love with a school that was not your first choice. Explore every type of option first. Apply for all the scholarships you can. Remember it is extremely important to get involved in everything you can during your first year of college, and never turn down an opportunity to hang out with a group of people that are different than you. You never know who you may become best friends with. In college, don't procrastinate! But most importantly, have a blast. They really are the best years of your life.

Sierah

To make the most of ones college experience the indiviual should prepare for school work maintain a mindset of being focused and welcome various cultures of peers when socializing. For the parents I would suggest they be highly involved in the students journey throughout the students college experience for financial guidance and support .

When choosing a school you need to look for the one that suits you best, not anyone else. Look at everything. Factors such as campus, location, and after school activities make a huge difference and should be reviewed carefully. As with anything, though, you have complete control over how much you love or hate your college experience. It is whatever you make it out to be. Just have a possitive outlook and be willing to work hard and you'll succeed no matter what.

Location, location, location! Yes, academics and extracurriculars are important, but going to school in a city that is enjoyable gives your student an opportunity to leave campus and recuporate from the stress of college life. Although the purpose of attending college is to earn a degree, do not forget that a social life is part of your education too. Classes can become over whelming, but students can find respite in spending time with friends at beautiful parks and restaurants near their campus. Colleges and universities that have plans for future expansion, both academically and architecturally, will likely be more inclined to meet your student's needs for a well-rounded college experience. Inquire how tuition dollars are allocated toward your student's department of interest. Choose a school that places an emphasis on your anticipated major, and you will surely find your educational expectations exceeded.

There are many pieces of advice I could offer to prospective students; some I have taken myself, and some I have had to find out the hard way. The most important advice would be to make a long-term plan for financial reasons. Will you work immediately after graduating from undergrad, or is graduate school in the future? Plan finances accordingly and make sure you can afford your school(s) of choice. There is nothing more frustrating than realizing that you can no longer afford the school you attend and you still have to pay for graduate school. Get the paperwork for financial aid, such as the FASFA and loans, done as soon as possible. It saves a lot of panic when you near the school year. Finally, the most important piece of advice comes from my uncle--stay focused. You've spent all this time, effort, and money in attending this college, and you don't want to waste the education you've worked so hard to get. Social time is a necessary--and fun--part of college life, but it shouldn't interfere with academics. Above all, whatever advice you take, make the most of your college life.

As everyone knows, picking the right college is an important decision. Often it is one that is accompanied by much stress and anxiety. To avoid a lot of stress and to make sure that you choose the right college, you want to have a good 'game plan'. First, look for colleges that support your interests. You want a school that offers the education for your desired field. Second, search for a school in your price range. This is a major factor in choosing your school. Third, look for schools that fit your lifestyle. You want to think about the size of the school and its location. Often people have specific requirements for this category that narrow the field greatly. Lastly, when down to a couple schools, visit each one and make sure that you can see yourself at that institution. This will eliminate any last-minute regrets and will insure that the school you chose is the right school for you.

NiCole

Do not be scared to look at schools you think you will ever attent. When you find a school that feels right to both the student and the parent do not let anything keep you from going. Even if it is a school you never though you would possibly go to.

Darby

Do not do what everyone in your high school is doing, make the decision on what you are looking for in a school. Go visit the school to see what its really like.

Make sure you hear the bad about the school, and the good. Don't only listen to a schools admissions counsolers, listen also to people who are strong critics, and those who are apathetic too.

I would tell parents and students to find a school that is right for them. Look at smaller schools for the smaller classes and more individualized attention they can provide. Large schools are fine if you are very self-motivated and aggressive about your schoolwork. I have many friends that have done well in large schools but many that have been overwhelmed and transferred or dropped out completely. I would have gone to a large school but I received the opportunity to play soccer at a small school so that convinced me to go to a small school. I have done well academically and been very happy. Sometimes I look at larger schools with their big football games and all the glitz and wonder what it would be like to go there. I want to go to dental school so I need the best grades I can get and the small school has helped in that regard. I can talk to my professors and get assistance if I need it. The soccer has been so much fun too.

Laren

Go visit the schoool you are considering and do not be afraid to ask questions.

Follow your heart.

Have someone who actually attends/has attended the school you are looking at, tell you what the school is really like rather than just getting your opinion from the school's recruiters--it's their job to make the school sound great, so they're obviously not going to tell you everything. I would ask for a student/alumni to give me their experiences, to tell me the real deal--because I could or could not make one of the worst decisions of my life if I found out the hard way that I ended up not liking that school.

elizabeth

PLAN AHEAD and go where you can afford.

Find a school that is affordable, has a great education, and is community oriented. When choosing a school make sure your needs are fulfilled by the facilities at the school, and remember to stay positive. Sometimes a school can turn out to be a lot different than what you thought, but that's why there are lots of different colleges and universities to choose from. Good Luck!

My advice to students and parents about finding the right school would be to apply to many colleges. Visit them, ask questions, research the surrounding community, and make sure that you could call that school home, because it will be your home for months at a time. I found the school for me by doing exactly what i stated, and it worked. So good luck!

I would tell parents and students to really explore different types of colleges. I had no idea what type of college I wanted to attend until I actually did some research. It really helped me decide on where I wanted to spend my college life. I would also advise parents to not pressure their kids into finishing in 4 years. Most students don't know what they want to do with their lives their freshman year of high school. They are only 18 years old! Let them explore and figure out what they want to be when they get out of school. That way they won't feel pressured into staying with the first major they chose, because that major may not be right for them. Their children will then find what is the path they are suppose to be on, and enjoy their jobs once they graduate. I am lucky that my parents have not pressured me.

Look for good financial aid opportunites and try to find a school with lots of different majors to choose from.

visit the school several times before you choose.

Quyen

I think that each student should pick the college that's best for them in the field that they are studying about. They should also pick a college that would focus on each individual instead of just being a number in a large college. Don't pick a college just because your best friend is going there, or just because it's popular. Go where you know for sure that you can get help whenever you need it about whatever it is. Parents should also persuade their kids to stay focus and concentrate on their school work at all times when their kids are far away from home. The parents should also advise their children to attend a college where there are many school related activities and to be involved as much as possible.