Brookville, NY
LIU Post

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend LIU Post

Colton

If I were able to back in time to my senior year of high school I would advise myself about what things to look for in a college. Such things consist of faculty to student ratio, financial aid assistance through the university, and the success rate of students who land careers upon graduation. The faculty to student ratio is important because personally a smaller class size allows for me to learn better and more comfortably. I feel that I have greater access to ask questions and receive any help I may need. Financial aid is huge, which goes without saying! Unless a student has parents who can afford college degrees out-of-pocket, then financial aid is greatly valued. Finally, I would want to know about the success rate of a university's name in finding a career after college. Landing a career sooner rather than later is crucial because (1) the graduate must pay off loans, and (2) it sets him/her up for the rest of his/her life.

Dear Self, I know you are really excited about this year, and it will be a lot of fun. Just do me a favor and don't stop focusing on your grades. They do matter and they will make a difference in the years to come. Try to get a really good grade on your ACT. You will need it for your financail aid later on. Another thing is don't waste this time that you have with your friends. You will not see them very much after this year. Encourage them and build them up while you can. Be a witness to your friends that do not know Christ. You probably are not going to get another chance. Be bold, couragous, and have fun.

Blair

My classmates are very focused and do contribute to the learning process of being in the classroom in some ways. But I personally would not look for my classmates to make friends. People in the classroom are too themselves most of the time, but are those you would turn to for notes and such, but aren't the first people you would turn to.

I would tell myself to research all college options and to research the colleges you are applying to very thoroughly. I would tell myself that the freshman schedule is almost universal no matter where you go, so its okay to go to a two-year school then transfer to a better school later, but this depends on your major. I would tell myself that the cost of college rises every year and to apply to as many scholarships as you can, no matter what kind of work is required, so that the burden can be taken off your parents. I would also tell myself to study for the SAT as much as possible, because it is alot more harder than what most high school seniors believe it to be.

I say the best thing about my school is the varitey of different majors and minors you can select. I feel as though the school's more specialized in the arts. There are also small class sizes and the availiblity for professors is also fair in my opinion.

The college has a bucolic scenic campus, which is reminiscent of Connecticut- where I grew up. However, it's just a short trip to NYC, which has a wealth of artistic, dining, and entertainment options. It's the only college on Long Island that has a stable on campus, and as an Equestrian, that was extremely important to me. I was able to continue horseback riding as a club sport here while taking classes. C.W. Post used to be a collection of mansions owned by Charles William Post, so it has unique artitecture as well.

"Take a lot of diverse courses. In this way, you'll find your aptitude for a variety of fields. Also, get a head start on shadowing and volunteering prospective professions. As a senior it can be hard to decide what direction to pursue. You'll became aware of this only after you've experienced your internships. Also, college is expensive, so start researching scholarships and grants early and thoroughly. Meeting with financial aid representitives may help. Ultimately, the only one who can take the initiative is you. Don't let the deadlines go by. When deciding on a college, make sure that you make a list of questions to ask when visiting. Don't only ask administrators. Approach students on their own and get their opinions. Get to know a professor and interview them about not just the college they work at, but their field. Visit the campus and give yourself a tour- ask for directions, familiarize yourself with the housing opportunities, and sit in on a class to see if it is an environment that suits you. Ask yourself what you can do with your major. Research employment availability long before graduation, and apply yourself to your education."

If you're into the party life, I wouldn't reccomend this school. The campus is quiet on the weekends, which I personally found relaxing, but if you want more emphasis placed on greek life, this isn't the right match. Additionally, students that are struggling financially might find it more to their benefit to attend a non-private college in one of those most expensive areas to live in Long Island. Students who expect to party and slide by in class won't prosper, but if you're studious, you'll thrive.

Maxianne

The advice I would give to my high school self would be to take it more seriously. In other words try hard in school to get good grades and not just slack off, because in the end it would make all the difference. In addition, I would also tell myself to spend more time with my family because living at college you hardly see them. Finally, I would tell myself to get into a good habit of working hard and putting 100% commitment into my work. The reason for this being is that in college you have to work hard because the grades you get in college go along way with you and its important to learn good work ethics.

Anyone who is looking to meet people from all over the world. it is very international.

bridget

Well i would probably knock some sense into myself as a senior. Knowing that college is an expensive experience , i would save up a lot of money. I would probably work harder and apply for more scholarships, because I unfortuantly didnt get that many. I would tell my high school self to take more college credited classes this way i would be ahead and have more credits on my belt. I would try and prepare myself better for the courses and how challenging they can be. In highschool you have the same friends for the most part. In college its a whole other world. I wouldve tried and prepared myself better on making new friends and not trying to stick with just the people i know. College is a whole new experience and i wouldve defintely told my high school self to not worry as much, its a good experience and great things will come from it.

I absolutely love it here, there was no other place id rather be then here. But unfortunatly the worst part about this school is the cost. When i first decided to come here, the cost made me so worried. I do not come from a family of money, so it was very difficult for my parents and i to find loans and scholarships to make my dreams of coming here true. I wouldnt change anything about this school except for the cost.

Well this is difficult because who am i to say whether or not someone should attend this school. I would have to say that a person who is not willing to put 100 percent into the school doesnt deserve to be here. Someone who isnt willing to try the clubs or organizations, who wont go to class, no activities shouldnt attend Long Island University C.W. Post Campus . A person that just wants to party all the time shouldnt be going to this school.

Edward

All of my classmates are diversed, each coming from a different background whether it be ethnic or cultural.

Knowing what I do about college, I would tell myself to keep up the hard work that I've put in high school as that effort is needed in college. In addition, time management would be a critical point I would have told myself since everything in college revolves around how well you manage your time and how well assignments are done and in time.

The people and the friendly atmosphere that the school provides. The school provides such a friendly atmosphere that everyone who attends feels like they are part of the school, not just one of the students who attend.

Janee

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say stick to your goal no matter what. No matter what comes your way, good or bad, learn from it and make the best of it. Once you start college, finish it. You will come out in end a great Medical Assistant, a good mother, and a hard worker. Do it for yourself anf no one else.

Audrey

I was right in assuming it was a bad idea to have a boyfriend freshman year. No matter what do not let yourself get talked into a relationship or any sexual encounters for that matter. You don't have to do anything you do not want to or don't feel comfortable with. Not everyone in college has sex. You will be more respected if you stick to your values. How you present yourself as a freshman sets the stage for the rest of your college career. So have fun, but be careful!

This is a suitcase school. Mostly everyone lives nearby and goes home on the weekends.

No one seems to know the answer. Whatever you need the administration sends you all around campus to talk to different people who all give you different answers.

Chelsea

It is one of the few universities on campus and it was close enough to my house so that I can go home on the weekends.

If I had the ability to travel back in time to when I was a high school senior there would be much advice I would give myself. The first piece of advice would be to read the textbook. My first semester I didn't utilize the textbooks in any of my classes and I ended up paying for it when it came time to study for tests. Also, ask questions. I am shy in class so I do not enjoy asking questions, but I found it very important. First, the professor enjoys the fact that you are participating and its surprising how every little bit of information that ends up on the tests. Make sure you know everything. Another piece of advice would be to email the professor if you have any questions. They give you their email for a reason. It really comes out in handy when you need further explanation on a piece of material, or when you simply want to know a due date. If I came into college knowing and using these pieces of information I know that my freshman year would have been much less stressful.

Almost everyone is from Long Island, those who aren't from Long Island are international students. The people here aren't the frendliest.

LIU Post administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.