Brookville, NY

LIU Post

« See more reviews of LIU Post

The best advice I can offer would be not only to check out the facilities on campus and speak with the staff but more importantly speak with the current students! The staff is being paid to speak highly of their employer so no one will ever hear negative aspects of the college or university from their own professors. Speaking with the students currently enrolled , from various programs not only the one you may be interested in, provides a cross-section of the social climate and overall student satisfaction from a group that can be considered peers. Also, apply and investigate a minimum of three colleges, this will give a good basis for comparison and aid the future student in finding where they feel most comfortable. Finally, do not be afraid to leave the state! I think in most circumstances not having the cusion provided by ones parents living in close proximity forces the newly established young adult to depend on themselves, thus propelling them into adulthood. I found those whom I had known to stay home or close to it through college, never grew up due to never leaving their comfort zone or testing their independence and capabilities. Good Luck!!

"Take a lot of diverse courses. In this way, you'll find your aptitude for a variety of fields. Also, get a head start on shadowing and volunteering prospective professions. As a senior it can be hard to decide what direction to pursue. You'll became aware of this only after you've experienced your internships. Also, college is expensive, so start researching scholarships and grants early and thoroughly. Meeting with financial aid representitives may help. Ultimately, the only one who can take the initiative is you. Don't let the deadlines go by. When deciding on a college, make sure that you make a list of questions to ask when visiting. Don't only ask administrators. Approach students on their own and get their opinions. Get to know a professor and interview them about not just the college they work at, but their field. Visit the campus and give yourself a tour- ask for directions, familiarize yourself with the housing opportunities, and sit in on a class to see if it is an environment that suits you. Ask yourself what you can do with your major. Research employment availability long before graduation, and apply yourself to your education."

I am a lifetime member of the Post Pioneer family. The diversity of Long Island University appeals to me because it will enable me to share my experiences with others, and learn from other members of the academic community. Being on a campus with an already dynamic student body will expose me to fascinating ideas, and thought-provoking discussions, to which I will contribute as well. Most importantly, I believe Long Island University; has provided me with the education and experience to be a success in any field that I choose. My best teacher in life has not been a person, but rather my life experiences. It is my hope that I will be able to share the knowledge I have gained here , and continue to allow life to be my teacher. I have been able to use my experiences and add on the views of the other students. I have grown significantly being able to live and interact with multi culturals. Not only growing to better myself; nonetheless, bettering the campus. The long term results being a successful foundation, and development in my academics, character, and career. I know it will apt me into a worldly and intellectual individual.

There are many different things I would tell students when researching and choosing a college. First, everyone must keep in mind that a college experience should be one that students will value for the rest of their lives. Students need to choose somewhere they feel at home and safe. As a commuter, I spend more time at my college than I do at home. Colleges are safe places to be because they foster social skills and academics. I would also recommend that students visit all of the schools they apply to. The decision of where to go depends highly upon financial means as well as grades and other opportunities. Students should exhaust all of their options and think carefully about this decision as it effects the next four years of their life. Finally, students make the most of their college experiences by being present. While the social scene is fun, it should not interfere with learning entirely. Whatever you do with the next four years of your life will shape your entire future. As scary as it sounds, the future is in your hands alone and your family can only help you make the most educated decision for yourself.

First, visiting the school is an important factor to choosing the right school. You must feel comfortable at the school you visit. Secondly, If you would like to have a memorable college experience it is important to be active and get involved in school activities. The most important thing is to the organization and management of your time. You must be responsible for managing you studying time for the week, in addition to the time you will spend on socializing, school activities, relaxation and other extracurricular activities. If you do not have an organized time schedule, you are bound to miss out in one part while you focus too much of your time on the other. For example, you may unconsciously come to focus more of your time with school clubs and volunteering, while leaving your studies aside a bit more than you should. It may sound cliche and old, but I am a standing testimony to say that I had a hard time organizing my time at college during the first semester of my college year. However, after I realized what my problem was, I carefully scheduled my weeks activities which helped solved my problems.

College is mandatory for success in today's day and age. Because of this, one may think it is dry and forced, while the college experience is the contrary. College years are the best time in one's youth he or she will experience and will never forget. The right college depends on a few key factors. Tuition cost is high on the list because struggling to pay for each semester will weigh heavily on one's mind. Proximity to the rest of his or her tasks is also important. Find a school where classes are close to home or at least easy to get to on time from the dorm. Also, the right college depends on major. Certain schools are known for certain majors. For example, Stony Brook is great and known nationwide for it's medical program. Making the most out of college experience depends what is desired. Social life takes stress off of daily tasks. Good professors change a long day of classes into an exciting time. Make friends with people from all different ways of life. One can learn alot from someone from different culture with different customs and beliefs.

Advice for students: Don't base you college choice because your friends are going there or because it's the farthest away from home (yes, you will miss home). Your job as a student is to make sure that you find the right college by looking at its academics, the field in which you think you want to major in, affordability, clubs, life on campus & off campus (easy access to stores or where ever you might want to hang out when you're not on campus) & location location location!! The best advice is to stay over night at your #1 college choice, experience the night life and see if it's something that you are interested in. If it's something you're interested in, then, great! If not, then go to your second choice and if you like that, then great, if not move on to the next college While you are visiting the college, you should sit in on a class to get a bit of what college classes are all about. You have to find out which college best fits you. So before you make a decision, double check everything you like about that college & good luck!

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making transition, I would have advised myself to be more selective with the kinds of friends that I have chosen. Answering this question makes me reflect on my past; and while reflecting on my past, I re-experienced some joyful feelings due to personal and academic successes, but I also experienced some mixed feelings due to academic challenges. While examining my life's events, I saw a structural pattern of human development in which I was always fighting against the odds in order to get things done. Consequently, I have decided to change this structural pattern in order to work with the odds, not against them. To make such a big change will not be an easy task, but I will make sure that it happens. Answering this question provides me with the opportunity to see how societal changes affect the lives of individuals as their strive survive withing various institutions.

When looking for the right college the students should make sure each college they choose has their exact major or is for the field that they would like to work in. Even though a lot of schools look extremely beautiful, background checks are always important. Talking to the advisors or Alumni of the schools would be very helpful if you want to kno how the prefessors are and the classrooms and even the living environment. Also the price is very important. If the school is very expensive the first year it may keep increasing so it should be understood that for the whole 4+ years the students family is willing to pay the amounts due. Once the student is enrolled into a college they should eneter it with an open mind. College is for everyone from everywhere so there is always a large population of people from out of state and even out of the counrty. So in order to make friends you have to be open for all things. Even if your shy atleast meeting 1 person can start your circle of friends.

If I had the ability to travel back in time to when I was a high school senior there would be much advice I would give myself. The first piece of advice would be to read the textbook. My first semester I didn't utilize the textbooks in any of my classes and I ended up paying for it when it came time to study for tests. Also, ask questions. I am shy in class so I do not enjoy asking questions, but I found it very important. First, the professor enjoys the fact that you are participating and its surprising how every little bit of information that ends up on the tests. Make sure you know everything. Another piece of advice would be to email the professor if you have any questions. They give you their email for a reason. It really comes out in handy when you need further explanation on a piece of material, or when you simply want to know a due date. If I came into college knowing and using these pieces of information I know that my freshman year would have been much less stressful.