Lock Haven, PA
Lock Haven University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lock Haven University

Karen

I would tell myself... I know you heard this a thousand times already and it may seem unreal but you can do anything you set your mind to. Believe in yourself and stop relying so heavily on your teachers to do it for you. If you want to go to college your going to have to learn to learn. Professors have office hours and tutors have hours too. When you are your only resourse in a given moment and you have your next exam you cannot just try to understand the material and hope everything goes well. However, when preparing, you must and you can understand the most difficult of subjects. All it takes is some rehearsal. It requires a lot of work sometimes but if you dont understand something as well as someone else it does not mean you are anyless intelligent. It means it will just take you a little longer to get it. Everybody has to overcome their own challenges for themselves sometimes and I know meeting new people makes you nervous and trying new things too, do it anyway. You'll be surprised at how much of a great time you'll have.

The worst thing about Lock Haven University is that it does not have a city life. If you are from places that are known for having big cities it will be an adjustment for you. Lock Haven is surrounded by nothing but mountains and a river. If you like shopping make sure you bring a car or get to know people who do. If not then be prepared to do more outdoor activities. Lock Haven is also notorius for its steep stair cases that lead to a couple residencies and academic buildings. So be prepared to do alot of walking.

At my school there is an abundance of academic support and the students are so open and friendly so you never have to worry about having a hard time making friends. The tutors are well prepared and have a genuine understanding of students need. They provide fun interactive sessions and help you devise memorization strategies to apply to those big tests. Also Ive made many other friendships with upperclassman, international students, and my fellow peers. Theres just an open atmosphere in Lock Haven that brings people together.

Rebecca

The school was originally well known for it's Education program. However, I believe the Physician Assistant program deserves a mention here because they have been ranked within the top 25 in the US.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to not be afraid of success. It must sound like a strange thing, but I believe so many times I was afraid of what responsibilities came with success that I was afraid to act upon it. I would tell myself that the responsibilities are there because you are strong enough and smart enough to handle them. It is far better to take on the responsibilities that college has to offer and run with them than it is to be afraid of them. You will get so much more out of your college experience if you fully engage with it instead of, cowering at the thought of not being adequate. I would tell myself that I'm proud of how far you've come and that the best is yet to come.

Lock Haven University just upgraded their entire science department. They now have all new science labs which are state of the art. Having all new labs, classrooms, study rooms, and the professor's offices located all in the same building is extremely helpful.

Leslie

If I could go back in time and give advice to my high school senior self my biggest piece of advice would be to not worry so much. I'd tell myself that college is going to be great and to not stress so much over money because in the end everything will work out. I'd also tell myself to start applying for scholarships the summer before senior year because the more you apply for the more likely it is that you'll win one. I'd also tell myself to not be afraid to ask for help when I don't understand something in class because there's nothing to lose in asking. The last piece of advice I'd give myself is to be more outgoing. Making friends and socializing is the biggest part of the college experience and I'd tell myself that being shy will be no good because then you won't meet anybody. With these little nuggets of wisdom my freshmen year off college may not have been so difficult.

I believe the best thing about Lock Haven University is all the help that is provided. There's a tutoring center and the professors help whenever they can. The school even helps victims of rape and abuse. There are many opportunities for students to receive the kind of help they need.

The worst thing about Lock Haven University is you feel kind of cooped in if you don't have a car.

Alaina

My school is excellent and helps you reach your goals!

My school is excellent and helps you reach your goals!

When I was in high school I knew I wanted to go to college, but wasn’t sure what degree I wished to obtain. If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice I would have told myself that I wanted to become a nurse. This simple advice would have saved me a year and I would already be half way through earning my degree. Instead I enrolled in college for the fall of 2012 as an undeclared student. I discovered from my first semester of college at Lock Haven University that I wanted to become a nurse. This entailed transferring to my college’s branch campus, as LHU does not offer the nursing program on main campus. The nursing program begins in the fall semester. When I realized I wanted to become a nurse I made arrangements to take the nursing entrance exam and upon passing was accepted into the program. I just recently wrote my letter of commitment to the nursing department for the fall of 2013. As a high school senior, the advice to follow the necessary steps to get into a nursing program for the fall of 2012 would have been helpful!

When it comes to Lock Haven, the small class sizes make it a great school where you actually get the one-on-one attention you need to excel!

Christopher

Future Self, listen up. College is a great experience over all, so take my word for it and eliminate the little concerns. You've grown up with experiences that have furnished you with all the skills you'll need to not only meet expectations, but surpass them. The resiliency you've acquired over the years will more than adequately help you manage the little challenges that will come along, so don't spend too much time or money on yourself in preparation for college. There are better things to do with your time right now, like solidifying childhood friendships, researching career possibilties, and spending time with your family. Trust me, you are taking for granted the love, friendship, and good advice that is so readily available to you right now. I can't tell you how much longer they will be in your life, so make your time with them worth every minute. Regarding the practical items of your education? You'll study abroad and everything will become clear. So get to work on your favorite language. The world is about to get much smaller, and if you follow my advice you'll be a humanitarian worker in no time.

Rural location, easy access to both town-like activities and a walk in the woods. The river is relaxing, stars and nature are in abundance. Class size is generally small, and most professors have an open-door policy. There's a monkey lab. Experiential learning is encouraged, tutoring and tutoring positions are available, and there are countless clubs and activities to participate in. The tuition is cheap for its quality, scholarships are ample, and I studied abroad three times (China, Brazil, France).

It's beautiful, unadulterated, clean, and colorful. The international community is fully integrated into the school. They paid me to study abroad on three different occasions. I did four independent studies and held a job in the monkey lab. I got two bachelor's degrees and often went to classes in the morning after camping on the mountain near my dormitory on warm nights.

Devon

My classmates are all generally very friendly and helpful with school studies.

My classmates are all generally very friendly and helpful with school studies.

My school is smaller than most, but provides a big university style education.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to take advantage of the Dual Enrollment option. When in High School, I didn’t want to spend my time at a college class when I could stay at High School a full day with my friends. Now I realize that I missed a great opportunity. I attended a competitive school where achievement is taken very seriously. Academically, I competed against very intelligent students in my class of 570 and I felt that there was not much point in trying. I would tell myself to keep pushing myself, because I would have done better. I would tell myself to do everything I can to get involved. I was active in both my High School’s team sports and intra-mural programs. I was in Steering Committee and played on many indoor clubs and teams for field hockey. However I wish I would have done more to stand out. Although I can’t go back, I can take my advice now and I plan to do that. When I graduate from college, I will have no regrets about my experience.

Arianne

Looking back I wish I would have known so much about college. The main thing for me is if I knew that I could apply for student loans at a yonger age life would have been alot nicer. Another thing is that living like a minamalist would be great knowledge and help for living the college life. Also I would tell my former self to always have enough change for parking, use just enough laundry detergent to get by, always be prepared for anything a teacher might ask so that means read the chapter before class starts if you can, roomates are just another steping stone to your life ahead and to always give your self enough time for extra time for getting to school. Knowing this would have made my college life easyer but now I am wiser though because of it.

kristina

the are all very nice friendsly down to earth kids who go out of their way to help you

Study extremely hard. and get as many scholarships as you can. College is very time consuming and expensive. ALways try your hardest and u will succeed.

food is not good, financial aid office is horrible, scheduling classes is very hard

Dana

It has a smaller campus of about 4600 people, and that is the kind of college I was looking toward. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and is placed in a somewhat rural setting. The staff are very dedicated to your success, and help you in every way possible.

When you step off campus what do you see?

A small little town, in a country setting in a mountainous area of Pennsylvania

What are your classes like?

Classes are very focused on the overall class subject, in depth and detailed learning structures.

I don't really see a stereotype on campus, we have A LOT of athletes, but I am not really sure what stereotype Lock Haven has been given, so I don't know if its accurate.

Students at my school are very friendly, since it is a smaller campus, I love being about to walk to class and see familiar faces on campus, it makes me feel more at home in a place that is three hours from my permanent home.

Everyone knows that school is boring, but I love it when my professors make it interesting and filled with knowledge. The teachers are very concerned about not just your classes but you and your life. Teachers and faculty want to see you succeed in your college career. I once had a teacher cancel class because the weather was bad, she came in on a Saturday to teach us the material that we missed the day class got cancelled. My teachers know me personally, and know about my life. I have always struggled in school, so I need more homework help then most of my classmates, and my teachers will be right by my side helping me with homework. The faculty works to your schedule and are very knowledgeable of the subjects they teach.

Lock Haven University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.