Lock Haven, PA
Lock Haven University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lock Haven University

My classmates are very friendly and are eager to learn the material. Most people get along with one another and always make an effort to talk and get to know each other. My classrooms are small so it is comfortable to know the teachers as well as the students. I never feel awkward or out of place in my classes because we all become a little community so to say.

Looking back, I wouldn?t change my decision to come to Lock Haven University. I would offer myself some important advice. I would tell myself to just believe that everything will work out and stay focused on the school work and everything else will fall into place. You may have come to college with some friends from high school, but when you?re there, branch out and meet new people because that is what college is all about. Try new things like clubs and sports, join a sorority, and most importantly GET INVOLVED. College is what you make it, so the more you?re involved, the more fun you will have. I?d tell myself not to worry about not knowing how to cook; EasyMac will always be easy. Go to a football game and cheer on the team - even if they aren?t the greatest, have movie & karaoke nights with all the girls on your floor even if you can?t sing. And most importantly I?d tell myself to never forget where I came from & where I?m going. College only lasts four years but those four years can be some of the best experiences of your life.

The best thing about my school is the size. While the campus is not a large campus, it is big enough that there is always someone new to meet, but small enough to not get lost, and small enough to make friends easily. I also like the location in the mountains. It is beautiful in the fall and winter and not too hot in the summer and spring.

John

Lock Haven is a decent, affordable school, in a fairly quiet town, with nice people who happen to party a lot.

Our school is known for it's teacher education programs.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell my former self that I now have much more direction in terms of my intended career path, and that Lock Haven University isn't the best fit for what I'd like to do. I'd tell myself to apply for a school near a major city, or in a college town with an active music scene, so that I could better prepare myself for a career as a music journalist. I'd also encourage myself not to fret too much about romantic matters once I was in college, and to focus primarily on my education.

Shonna

It is a really small community based school that feels like a big family.

It is a really small community based school that feels like a big family.

That you need to take your high school experiences and classes seriously. You need to work hard and pay attention. College is hard work and your high school career will help you if you take it seriously. I came to college at the age of 24 so I was already out on my own, so I can not talk about the transition much.

You need to go to class, buy and read the book!

Lindsey

The Clearfield campus of Lock Haven University has a home town feel.

The Clearfield campus of Lock Haven University has a home town feel.

Alright, listen Lindsey; life is not a game or a joke. In high school you believe that future successes will just "fall" into your lap. Mom and Dad are right; oney does not grow on trees. It doesn't now and it won't seven years from now. I know you're thinking to yourself "oh, I will go to school someday, but I'm still young. Why the rush? I want to have fun now while I'm young." Yes, that's fine and dandy, but real life is going to smack you in the face someday and let me forewarn you; the smack does not feel good. Because I have been through it already, let me give you some advice. School should be taken seriously. Learn your study skills now because in college, you're going to be expected to know how to study. Believe me when I tell you that how you are studying now is not going to cut it. The "cramming" you do right before you walk into the classroom is not enough now and it won't be later. You can do it. Stay strong and think positive; we'll be alright.

I didn't know who to talk to in terms of financial aid. I go to Lock Haven University in Clearfield, PA, which is a branch of main campus in Lock Haven. In fact, I'm a junior and I still don't know who to talk to about financial assistance.

Jayme

If I was able to go back now and talk to myself a year ago, when I was still in High School, I would have told myself to reconsider my options. Then I thought that I wanted a small campus, but now I realize that I would have done better in a larger one, with a surrounding area that had more to offer. Here I found myself jobless, that would soon lead me to sleep Ansonia, and I know if I would have chosen a campus back home or even a larger one that I would have been able to find a job. I would tell myself that college is not what everyone makes it out to be, to stay focus because there are many things that will distract me. Most of all I would tell myself to never stop working at becoming successful, because in the end you end up where you choose to be at.

The worse thing about college would be in a new environment struggling to fit. I made the mistake of trying to hard to fit and went out too much, and it is starting to show, my school work is suffering, and I am do everything to bring my grade up. My advice would be not to get caught up in all the glamor or partying, this is your education, you are paying for it and you need to successful with your grades.

I am not the bragging type, I just like to enjoy myself. I do not want to put anyone else down by being boastful all the time.

I believe Lock Haven is best known for producing great teachers and education majors. The professors, courses, and experiences are all really tailored to helping you understand what you need to know to teach. You get lots of classroom experience before student teaching, so you can decide early on if teaching is the right path for you or not. The teacher education staff are very qualifed and skilled at preparing the next generation of teachers!

I'd tell myself to not be afraid to be myself and to try new things. In high school and my earlier years of college, I was always so concerned about fitting in and being a part of the crowd. Now I realize that it's ok to be your own person and break away from the crowd. The friends that you make by doing that will mean more to you in the long run then all the "kids in the crowd". I joined the Honors Program at Lock Haven University when I was a freshman because my parents made me. I thought it was going to be nothing but a bunch of boring nerds. However, the people I met in Honors are still, almost 4 years after graduation, my closest and best friends. I can't imagine my life without them. If I had listened to the sterotypes about Honors that the "crowd" was making, I'd have missed out on the best part of my college career. Don't be afraid to step outside the box and try something new! It could be the best decision you ever make.

Lock Haven has a small-town feel with lots of awesome opportunties! I was able to interact with students all over the entire world that were participating in their foreign exchange program. The campus is small enough that the professors actually get to know you and you're more then just a "number". It also really prepared me well for my career as a high school teacher.

Sultana

Make sure you stay on top of everything, all the hard work will pay off.

Make sure you stay on top of everything, all the hard work will pay off.

I wish I would have known how far the school was from my hometown (because I went to a school in PA, but my permanent address is in NJ), how far other places are from the university, knew about the type of people I may come across, and about the class sizes.

Its in the middle of nowhere. You need a car to go anywhere and freshman are not allowed to have a car on campus. If your out of state, expect your tution to be high. If your a person of color beware of some racism from people (they understand other races view point/ not culturally competent).

Crystal

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I think I would tell myself to work harder at looking for scholorships and grants as I didnt really do any college preparation until late in the year. I would also try to push myself to decide on a career sooner because for me this was also a issue. Finally when I had decided what i wanted to study everything seemed to go so fast. I would have liked to be able to examine my situation more, maybe planned out a course that could of helped me out a little more financially. Finally I would of told myself to cherish all the time spent with my friends and loved ones. Being away from them now makes me realize how many opportunities to spend time with them I had let slip through my fingers. In the case of a family member who was not just a cousin to me but a friend i will never have any of those opportunities again. I dont regret my life now but if I new then what i know now things might have been easier.

The lack of parking space and the rule on when a parking pass is available to a resident student. I can understand it not being available to a freshman but i think at the start of the sophomore year a resident student should be able to have a car. Instead it must be 3 semesters which would place it in the middle of the year for a normal student. Also there is limited parking for resident students.

There really isnt any kind of student that shouldnt attend this school. LHU is open to anybody who wishes to attend.

Alexis

Once you go to college they will expect a lot more from you. Look at this as a positive thing, because it is. Work hard and study because the knowlegde you can acquire is increadible. Be involved in campus activites, you'll meet a lot of great people that way. Once you decide your major be involved with it, you'll learn a lot from other people and you will make a great network. But, don't forget to have fun, take days to not worry about work and hang out with friends. College is an experience so don't sell yourself short, acidemically or socialy.

The professors! As with anything there are always exceptions, but for the majority the professors here are great. They care about you and really do want you to succeed. If you need help they are willing to take their time to sit down with you and work with you. Although I don't concider this a small school the professors still know all thier students by name which again shows how much they actually care.

There's really not much about this school that I would concider to be frustrating; but, if I had to choose one thing I would have to say the meal plans. The food here is actually great and there is a vareity of food, however your choices are very limited in some places on campus. And you can only use your meal plans in the main dinning hall. And, there is not enough of a vareity of meal plans to buy.

Bethany

Nature and being such a small school.

Nature and being such a small school.

Think smart when your making decisions. Time after time, I see students making unresponsible decisions throughout there college career and they end up destroying what they love to do. However, don't regret anything you do either. It is important to have a strong group of friends that you can lean on when school gets hard and need that support. Go somewhere away from home! You will get the best experience at college if you live on campus and further than an hour away from home. Stay connected to your friends from high school, that was my biggest mistake and when I go home for the weekend, I find myself working instead of enjoying the time spent at home. Start saving your money now!! School comes first before social life at college. Your social life could start to take over, so it is important to have priorities. Good Luck and remember to have fun!

Not receiving enough financial aid.

Lock Haven University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.