The Woodlands, TX
Lone Star College System

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lone Star College System

rosio

If I were to go back in time as a senior in high school I would encourage myself to be more outgoing and participate more in school activities and clubs. I would try to join outside organizations as well and begin to volunteer. I would seek more information as to what field of study would be the best for me. I would seek advising from the counselors available. I would have set a better plan for the future in regards to what path I should be on and how to stay on it. I would prepare myself and get everything organized so that my transition into college would be more of a sucess and I would end up where I want in my planned time.

I consider the atmosphere the best thing about my school. There are many clubs one can join and the students are all kind and welcoming. There is a lot of diversity among the college.

People who are not looking to excel in a career should not attend this college. People are are only trying to get money grom the government but, do not really want to pursue.

Christopher

I would explain to myself to go in more depth with my advisor and go over all the little facets that I needed to know in order to be successful at college. Rather than just taking classes that felt like they were right, immediately get on a degree plan and allow myself to have graduated when i needed to. I also would tell myself to focus harder in school, because I started off doing extremely well in my freshman year of college and then dropped down as my sophomore year began, all because I decided to focus too much on a dead end job than on my education.

To speak more to an advisor to avoid taking classes that I didn't need toward my degree and take the ones that are currently holding me back from my Associate's Degree.

The worst thing about Lone Star is that the schools operate as separate branches rather than a cohesive unit. I qualified for a scholarship through the school but was unable to receive it because I took more hours at one specific campus than at the one the scholarship was offered at. I don't feel like Lone Star College System is in actuality one system, but rather a network of smaller independent schools.

MORGAN

From what I have experienced and what others have told me the best thing about Lone Star is the teachers. Class sizes are kept small, and your professors are always willing to work with you. That is not to say you can't hold up your side of the barging by attending class regularly and putting effort into your assignments.

This question is all too easy for me to answer; my first semester of college didn’t go nearly as good as I’d hoped. Looking back now I wish I would have learned how to balance things better before my first semester and not after. I would have told myself that you have a season for everything, and right now is your season for school. While you can still have fun in college you need to learn what to say “no” too, know that you have limits and time constraints and that school will take up most of that time. You are no longer in high-school, what you do is on your record for a long time and can affect you far down the road. So while that party or even community service may sound fun and exciting you have to decide if you can really handle it on top of all the school work you have to complete. Just like your job or kids will be your priory latter on learning that school is your top priority at this point in your life. Once you figure that out, then you have fun!

Once you are accepted and have your first semester behind you they tend to leave you to fend for yourself and don't seem as willing to provide help. At least not the go-out-of-thier-way maner that you had when you first attend. Also the inconsistence of information given in the Advising office & financial aid is a big problem, I often found myself having to fact check what was being told to me or just left confused, so come with questions & information in hand or you can easily get led astray.

Joy

I like the fact that most professors are friendly

I like the fact that most professors are friendly

There are several groups/organization @ lone star

Lone Star is full of different ethnicity which makes it welcoming.

The academic at lone star is excellent

Wesley

Best thing about the school is a toss up between the waterway (a great break and breath of fresh air where you can just watch the fish and give your brain a chance to relax from so much imput) and the Teachers that truly have strange ways of getting so much information into your mind. The teachers have so many different styles, but at the end of each semester you look back and realize that you will go through your life remembering and giving credit to how much they helped you learn and how well you truly will retain the knowledge. The school is quite large, has many students, they recently more than doubled the student body over the last year. That being said, you don't find it too difficult to find areas to study, as they have just completed two new buildings with areas for taking breaks and studying. If I could change something, it would be to add more parking, or better yet, a parking garage to allow easy access and the ability to have more students closer to the entry of the school. It would also be nice if they had a covered parking area for the motorcycles. We have noticed a lot more students riding motorcycles and scooters, but the quick changes in weather create water damage possibilities that many need not worry about when going to their local grocery store or mall, as they allow them to park up under the covering of the building. That is not an option on the campus at this time. Best places on campus depend on what you are in search of. If you need ot blow off steam the gym is just down the hall from the cafeteria. If you want to feel like a large group of people you can hang out on the backside of the lunch area where they have a ping pong table and pool table in the Activities area (which will be expanding their activities into an area just ajacent to the Library... It is currently under construction and making great head way. If you need group study time there is a crossover study area between HSC1 and HSC2 that is just quiet enough but people don't mind if you get together for group studies there. If you want quiet alone study time, you can go upstairs in the library to the far South West corner and find a quiet area with room to relax and focus on serious projects. The students remember eachother and the more time goes by and classes add up, the more you see other former classmates that are friendly and interactive, encouraging and sharing in the goals one another have. The Cafeteria has gone up in price with not much to offer.. It has been brought up in multiple meetings and surveys done, hopefully they will be able to make the propper adjustments to make it worth the price and convenience. I will always remember the activities day.. they had dodge ball on the tennis courts, volley ball in the sand, tug of war and an egg toss... Another student and I won the longest egg toss... A student I had never met before that day. Everyone was so impressed with how far we were able to go that he decided he wanted to show boat just a little bit more after we had already won... ...That's when the egg exploded just below his belt line... It was one of the most fun days with a hilarious ending... Almost 2 years later, we are still friends and talk to eachother whenever we pass by in the halls

Popular and involved may be a little different from eachother, yet they seem to cross in the middle. The Student Activities commitee (now called Student Life) get together every month to put together a couple of major events. They have done tug of war, egg toss, and even had a dunk tank at a fund raiser to help students struggling in financial hardships. As for the most involved, Their is a group on campus called the Campus Crusades for Christ - their fliers are all over campus and they quickly know whats going on and are able to feed information around at the speed of text. If you want to know what's going on, they are a good group to call in a pinch ;)

The teachers on campus remind me of the old TV show Cheers that used to sing "Where everybody knows your name... and they're always glad you came"... An old reference, but the teachers care about their students, the classes may be of different sizes depending on what they are teaching, but every professor I have run across not only remembers my name (in a good way) but they also ask if I know how other students from that same class turned out... They genuinely care. Class participation is common and students find themselves bumping into eachother at the cafeteria and gathering up table after table until we find ourselves grouping together in an intellectual class discussion or study review. There are times when you may be running out of steam and your fellow classmates will lift you up and help you prepare and study to make the grade. The education in 2 year colleges is on the rise. Just having a 4 year degree does not say much to potential employers anymore. They want to see what other things you have done, what other skills you have aquired. Going through Associate degree programs shows better preparedness and allows for opportunities to be seen in the community as you do the many different service projects offered from the clubs you can get involved with on campus One of my favorite classes was Phsyc, our professor knew her info and was excellent at sharing and inbedding the information into our minds. My least favorite class was an INterpersonal Communications class where we did as much writing as I did in my English class. However, by the end of the course it some how made me a more rounded individual and I am friends with that professor to this day and see what she was shooting to accomplish with our class.

There are a mixture of many different groups at the campus. You may see baggy clothes, loud groups, quiet study groups, some in gym clothes, others in country jeans, and even on occasion you will see students in their PJ's... Usually around finals. There is a sence of relaxation and enjoyment in one area and a sence of serious book study going on in another area. The campus has such a large amount of room that people are able to find places to be themselves, areas to knock out large amounts of study material and then come together as a whole with a great sence of being one during the activities put on by the campus clubs.

Debra

Having attended this college for two years, I am pleasantly surprised with both the affordability and the dedication of the staff for providing an experience that I will never forget. The campus is pleasantly landscaped and has a variety of student amenities that make attending here a stellar experience. Although the advising staff means well, they do still have problems with what they give for "advice". Bear that in mind when you come on campus and are not sure of how to proceed in your course list. Check with instructors that know the program degree that you are trying to acquire, rather than just the advisers.

Students have a variety of extracurricular activities they may become involved with, and are encouraged to plan and start their own student groups. There is no on-campus living, so activities are only during school hours, but there is still a wide selection. The school also supports a number of student shows based on learning objectives, such as drama or the student art show. There are also seasonal events such as the Lighting of the Lake at Cy-Fair campus and the carnival that is hosted in Spring. Honors Society Phi Theta Kappa gives those who seek high recognition of their academic goals a chance to shine.

Having a wide variety of people attending the school means a polyglot of different personalities,races, beliefs, proclivities, attitudes, and insights. This helps give a world-spanning flavor to the knowledge you acquire here. The clothing you can encounter on any typical school day ranges from what appear to be pajamas up to full business dress suits. I feel a student that comes into this environment would have to work hard to feel unwelcome or out of place. One thing that most of the attendant students have in common is the need for affordable schooling, and this college system does it's best to fulfill that goal without sacrificing quality of knowledge.

Academic pursuits at Lone Star College Cy-Fair are personal and pleasant for the most part. The 100% online courses can be daunting, but that really depends on what professor you get. Student involvement is encouraged for most classes. Instructors are there willing to help you and it shows. I am taking a Networking Specialization in Cisco and I have had a wonderful experience with those involved in the program both encouraging me and making sure I had everything I needed to succeed. Classes are relatively small compared to some institutions. This helps give each student the personal attention they need.

Stereotypical is not a good word for this campus. There is so much variety available in the campus population that the only thing that can be said about its make-up is that it defies stereotypical patterns. Students range from fresh-out-of-high-school teens looking to further an education with lackadaisical enthusiasm, to senior citizens finding time to squeeze in some extra learning with zealous studiousness.

Meagan

As a second semester sophomore transferring from a major univeristy to a community college, I've seen what other schools have to offer. Montgomery College is close to home and doesn't cost a fortune like TexasA&M. It offers courses I need for my degree such as engineering and geology. While enrollment is high, I feel like my classes are intimate and the teachers actually care about our education, which is a completely different feel than I got at previous schools. I wish I had been told about this school was when I was initially applying for college.

Four months ago I lost my father to cancer. I had just started my first semester as a transfer at the University of Louisiana for petroleum engineering. The loss of my father was a speedbump in my education. I debated resigning for the semester and moving home in order to clear my head. Instead I stuck it out and finished my courses. This semester I transferred to a community college at home to help out with my family. I was nervous about transferring a second time - this time from a major university to a community college. When I signed up for courses I was awestruck at the intensity of the courses offered. I was able to sign up for my geology and engineering courses! I've learned that sticking out your education, no matter what hardships face you, will eventually work out with time. Never had I thought that I would have to deal with losing a parent and moving back home, but with the efforts I put forth in my education, I will never have to second guess myself and think "What If?" My education is my life, and every lesson I've learned helps shape my future.

Anyone can attend Montgomery College. Income isn't an issue here. Some students come from affluent homes, and some aren't as fortunate. Just because it is a community college doesn't mean you're missing out on college. They offer challenging courses, as well as having a lot of ammenities as larger universities have. Intelligence doesn't matter either, there are students that span across the spectrum, and Montgomery College helps all of its students. The faculty and staff are always nice and help with all your needs.

Cori

During the time I've been going to college, I've met a lot of new and interesting people that I feel I have connected with. I've also developed better study habits and my time management skills have greatly improved. Admittedly, it's hard not having as much free time to myself, but knowing that it'll all pay off once I hold that diploma in my hands makes it definitely more bareable. I've always been told that, "In order to succeed, you need to go to college," and I've never strayed from that. Without the help of a better education backing me up, there is a much higher chance of failure than success.

Tammy

North Harris Montgomery Community College District is a great college to attend. It is close to everything for me I am approx. 10 minutes from home, work, and my five children. It is very convient for me and I really like attending the night classes. The classes are very informative and comprehensive. Most of the professors that I have had have been very competent, knowledgable, and passionate about their fields of study. I am very pleased to be a student at North Harris Montgomery Community College.

I have taken multiple experiences away from North Harris Montgomery College. The main experience was the college experience as a whole. It has been many, many years since I attend college and I have really enjoyed attending this college in particular. It is a small college that offers big opportunites. It has a University Center so that is how I am attending another college for my 4 year accounting degree. I will go to the facilites at the College and not have to make the drive to the Universities that they partner up with for my Bachelors degree. So my journey continues.

The best thing about my college for me is that is so convient to everything. I like it that being an older student that I do not feel awkward going to class and being with a bunch of students right out of high school. The classes are a little more diverse in the evenings. I am still able to work a full time job and still attend any classes that I want in the evenings. That is the greatest thing for me! I am able to work,attend college, and have a family. What could be great than that!

Lone Star College System administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.