The Woodlands, TX
Lone Star College System

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Lone Star College System

Luis

It's close to my residence and very inexpensive.

It's close to my residence and very inexpensive.

I would tell myself...Luis, don't have unprotected sex with that chick from starbucks because she doesn't take birth control. Just kidding, I would tell myself to apply for scholarships, grants, and loans. Though I don't regret joining the Navy when I was 17 because it was a great experince and I grew a lot, I would tell myself to keep moving forward because one day I could win an awesome scholarship from Campus Discovery.

Yes, it's a community college but it's really close to my house. Plus, it is not as expensive as a University and the classes are not crowded.

Brett

My classmates are a diverse group that differ greatly in ethnicity, background, age and educational goals.

If I could speak to a high school senior version of me, I would give myself several pieces of advice. The first would be to take foreign language more seriously. A Bachelor of Arts requires two intermediate language courses and therefore more attention to the subject than the typical high schooler may think. I personally did not take seriously enough what I was doing, and now I am scrabbling to relearn Spanish. The other and more important piece of advice I could give myself would be to take more dual credit classes. Even though I did take a few my senior year, more would not have hurt. Dual credit students pay half the tuition that full time student do, and if they take the class at their high school the class is free, including book. Dual credit affords students many educational benefits, such as smaller class size, fewer classes a semester and earlier graduation. If I had been able to tell myself these two points, my college life would be much smoother now.

I typically tell them about how much money I am saving by going to a two year school first. I will also tell them about the great fitness center and library that the school has.

Hera

The class size is a good size where techers are able to interact with students and also able to interact with them one on one to tend to there individual needs. Another reason that makes my school unique is the distance it is from my home. This makes it very convenient for me first with gas money and also i am able to go home on time in case of any emergency. Besides the school distance that atmosphere of the community college has a feel of a university which makes it diffrent from many other community colleges.

I would tell my self not to slack off as much as i did before. High school is the place where it sets your grounds for your study skills and also your homework and classwork habits. To actually take higher level courses helps you achive those skill so that your are able to head in the right direction in college. Instaed of learning how to study, you would actully be studying and learning what you need to pass the class. Another thing i would like to adivce myself in is that if i would be able to reasearch more about the many majors and school out there so that i wasn't lost in everything when i came to college, and also that way i didn't spend as much money or time as i did on just finding out what major i wanted to study. My last advice i would give my self is that i should have done more volunteer work in varies diffrent place so that i was opened to the many diffrent job options that are out there. That way i would know all the options that are out there for me.

Danielle

If i were to go back to senior year i would inform myself to take more challenging classes as a senior. I would tell myself to not slack off just because its the last year of high school because it only gets harder moving on to make a better life for myself. I would inform myself about looking into every career and to talk with my counsler about colleges that would offer the degree plan that i thought fit me best. I wouldnt discourage the fact to go to community college to save money and get my basics out of the way, but i would inform myself to check for the classes i needed for my major in order to make the best of every year. The last thing i would tell myself is to not listen to what everyone else has in their mind for my future but instead go with what makes myself feel i will be successful and to work hard for whatever dreams i have.

The best thing about this school i am currently attending is that i have spent less money to finish a full school year instead of wasting a full year at an expensive university not knowing exactly what i want to do with my life. I have gotten the chance to clear a year of basics and save thousands of dollars for one year while choosing the career path that i truely want to pursue. WIth the same basics that an expensive college offers, I can now transfer to a larger college with the credits i have earned from community college.

Before attending my college, i wish i had known exactly what major i was going to choose for my future. I feel that if i had known my major i could have gone to a counsler to get more classes that went towrds my major now. I also wish i had looked more into the carrer center so that i cvould have had help exploring options of careers out there instead of only researching carrers on my own.

Crystal

My classmates are pretty much all down to earth people who are there to better their lives.

I would advise myself to take the time to enjoy high school while I could because from then on it wouldn't get any simpler. I would also tell myself to save up as much money as I could because college expenses add up. It's a jungle out there if you're not prepared you'll get eaten alive!

We have the coolest students activities program ever, we even have a wii, plus our masscot is LOCO the Squirrell.

Stacy

Lone Star College in Tomball is unique from other schools in its size. The small size provides for excellent interaction with teachers and other faculty members. Even though our campus is small, we have regularly scheduled activites that encourage socializing with other students. Many students know one another, and our teachers know each of their students by name.

There are many things I would say if I could go back in time and speak to myself as a college senior, but most importantly, I would tell myself not to worry. At the time, I was struggling about choosing a major and a school. I was frightened of the process, and intimidated by all the paperwork yet to be done. Now, having applied and chosen my major and school, I can see that all the worry was in vain. I would go back and tell myself to enjoy my last year of high school instead of worrying about the future. I would remind myself that I cannot control the future, and encourage myself not to worry. I would also go back and tell myself that all students go through the same thing, and that I was not alone in my fears.

I attend Lone Star College in Tomball, formerly NHMCCD. The worst thing about my school is the limited facilities for certain subjects. For example, many classes must be taken off site, such as swimming, because of unavailable facilities at the school. The lack of facilities affects me in particular in the fact that there are very few art classes. My college does not have the supplies to teach classes like pottery, metal working, or textile arts. Therefore, I have been unable to take the desired classes at the desired location.

Azusena

At the school I'm attending, we have a writing and art maganize. This maganize is for students to submit their writings, art work, or photography. All the pieces are choosen by students on the staff, and to be on the staff , the student does not have to be majoring in art or english.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would say not to limit myself to 2- year schools and apply to universities instead. Also, I would say that I should get use to reading and writing lots of papers. Another is to not procrastinate, it would just cause me stress. Most Important thing I could think of is to learn how to drive. It can help to be more independent, and I would lean less to have my parents taking me everwhere.

The best thing about my school is it is close to home. This great because I can save money on housing by staying with my parents, especially with how times are right now with the economy.

Natasha

My senior class a was a diverse set characters, each had their own style and capabilities.

First off, I would have stopped myself from dropping Pre- Calculus. I decided to take it easy my last year and I skipped my math, and I decided not to take my SAT or ACT. I thought it was a waste of time. I then graduated and realized I needed those scores to help me get into college and to help me receive scholarships. I took advanced placement classes and never filled out the forms for National Honor Society, which were sent to me several times. I just didn't want to take five minutes out of my day. I threw many opportunities out the door. My last change and the most important, I would of focused on school and not the boy I was with. I refused to fill out any college applications so I would not have to leave him, instead he stayed in high school and left me for another girl. I ignorantly allowed myself to set my future back for a one sided love. That is a mistake I regret and always will. So, basically I would focus on school and not care about the opposite sex. I would do what was right for me.

I came into Klein when I was a sophomore, at that time I lost the opportunity to get into certain programs which would help me after high school. They offered child care, cosmetology, and a few other useful programs. They all had durations of four years. I came from a small school which didn't have this available. I lost that opportunity.

Some are bright and intelligent while others lack direction and dedication.

Some are bright and intelligent while others lack direction and dedication.

Making the transition from high school to college is not an easy step for young adults. If only I could go back and give myself some adcvice maybe, just maybe, things would be different. First, I would tell myself to listen to my elders. Talk to as many adults who have been through college, or are currently enrolled in college, as I can. They are the ones who will be most beneficial. The friends you are currently in school with are in the same boat as you. They are doing what they "think" is right but they lack experience and wisdom. Why try to reinvent the wheel? Secondly, focus, focus, focus! When it's all said and done, you are the one who makes your future; not your friends! Thirdly, but equally important, always strive to be the best. A passing grade isn't good enough. Strive to make the A! When your quizes and tests are graded and returned go back and re-evaluate your answers. It can make the difference in understanding concepts. Last, but not least, the world is always changing. Always evolving. Be prepared to make adjustments. Live with honesty, integrity and committment.

My courses are online and sometimes communication breaks down.

Jason

My classmates were encouraging, motivational, driven and intelligent with their every day decisions.

Going back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would stress the importance of persistance and also dedication. I've come to realize in order to be successful in college you need both of these attributes because of the level of difficulty each class carries along with it. A lot of high school seniors, myself included, became lazy due to it being their last year of high school and don't realize how important it is to stay on course even during tedious exercises. Looking back, I can see the correlation between those stressful problems and the importance of having the ability to not be bogged down with stress and anxiety. Much of college tests each students perseverance in dealing with such problems to prepare them for the real world. Dedication to one's studies also ranks detrimental to the success one wishes to achieve while attending college and preparing for one's future career. I would tell myself to remain dedicated and not get lazy in order to routine myself upon arrival into the college life.

My school gave each student an equal opportunity to make the most of themselves, whether it be through academic, athletic or other extra curricular activities. The importance of these 3 options stress necessary skills in the real world such as critical thinking and problematic solution solving, team work as well as finding one's own niche in certain groups within the community and being effective in that group.

Lone Star College System administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.