Long Beach City College Top Questions

Ryan

Be more active in talking you your counselors, be more responsible and and work harder in your first year. You have the potential to be a straight A student, you just need to apply yourself. Keep up with your work, read your textboks, and maek friends in class. Finally, dont be afraid to really apply yourself, you never know where you might end up after.

Joel

Take extra classes and train yourself to be taught like someone who actually learns from lectures and powerpoints. There are no options out there that will help you learn by anything other than how the majority of students learn. Do your best to learn like other people do because that's how your country is taught. Until you can start your own college and take classes to learn the way you are genetically built no one will hold your hand through a college education, good luck.

Mya

I want you to really enjoy this year. Spend as much time with your friends because once you all are busy with college and jobs you won't see each other much. Enjoy the last year where you don't have that much responsibility besides your school work. If you never tried out for the school play, do it this year. Go to all your dances and all your games, because these are your last. On graduation day you might feel sad but know that this chapter is closed and another exciting one opens up. Don't be nervous about college. You will get to come up with your own schedule that works for you and you can keep your job, too. When you're in college you will soon realize what you want to do, so don't stress about that right now. The most important thing I want to tell you is don't let people get to you. Remember those that mean something will continue in your life and those that don't will not be in your life any longer to bother you. Smile pretty girl, great things are coming your way!

Cristy

I see myself, sitting on my bed, a little distressed while researching on my laptop about the many possible California colleges I could attend. At that moment, I remembered how it was hard to think about majors and careers -- because I was clueless about the future -- clueless about who I wanted to be; clueless about who I was. People did not ask "What do you want to be when you grow up?" anymore, but rather, "What are you going to do?" Maybe I wasn't just clueless. Maybe I was AFRAID because I was clueless. I approached myself calmly. High school senior Me looked up, but wasn't alarmed or afraid. She expected me. I looked into her eyes and told her, "Take time for yourself now and you'll accomplish much more later." She nodded. I stepped back as I was returning to the oblivious future. We watched each other for a while. Then I remembered something I wanted someone to tell me a long time ago. This time, I was allowed to tell myself. "No matter where you go, and no matter what you do, in the end there is worth. Everything will be fine, just believe yourself."

Giovanni

I think if I were to go back I would tell myself to prepare to face college by studying a little harder and by trying to just have fun while in class with your classmates and just enjoy the surplus of Highschool.

Maria

All my college experience, here in the US and in my home country of Peru, has always been affected by lack of economic resources. If I could go back in time to the days when I was a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself to obtain an associate degree at a technical institution, because this certificate would allow me to find a job that could support the acquisition of a bachelor’s degree and my living costs. By making this decision I could have saved time and money that could have been invested in personal projects, like starting a business and participating in community service. I would also recommend myself to engage in extracurricular activities. My participation in such activities could have helped me become less shy, and at the same time, they could have contributed to build a network within the college community. I consider the relationships one establishes during college are particularly significant because they may not only represent long lasting friendships; they could also become key factors when looking for job opportunities or finding business partners.

Desiree

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school student...I would start by telling myself that I am worthy of going to college. Money and background have nothing to do with how successful one can be in college. Only your own determination can get you there and get you through. I would strongly urge that you start your college education at a community college. Unfortunately high school has not prepared you to sit in a lecture hall filled with 400 other people known only by their ID #. Community college is a inexpensive way to get the first two years of college out of the way while following a smoother transition to a university. Universities are often times very competitive and strongly encourage you to choose your course of study immediately. Often in life, we aren't certain of what we want to do. A community college will give you the freedom to explore your options. So, in summary - go to a community college first, get your feet wet and then transfer to a 4 year university. You will thank me in the end.

Brad

The main thing I would change if I could go back is that I would have been more financially prepaired. As a high school student, I did not put forth a lot of effort into looking for scholarships and therefore have created quite a financial burden for myself. If I could go back, I would have filled out a lot more scholarship applications and would have done as much as possible to ease this financial load. I also would have worked harder to maintain a higher GPA in high school. As a senior I underestemated the importance of maintaining good grades. If I could give myself any advice it would have been to work hard and search hard for funding.

Mariamor

I'd tell myself to calm down and relax, that i'll find out what I want to be sooner or later. I can play around and take different classes and experiment in the fields I want to be a part of. I'd tell myself to sign up for scholarships and to take the assesment test sooner because it wasn't so hard. I'd tell myself to get my license, so I don't have to take the bus. That the move from Palmdale to Long Beach won't be so bad. That things aren't as bad as they seem, things always get better and that I'll find my voice. I'd tell myself to not let my shyness get so much in the way and that I'm going to get really good grades my first semester of college. :]

patsy

If i could go back in time and talk to my self as a senior in high school i would tell my self to focus and fill out as much paperwork for college as i could. that way you have some one there to help you if you need help. also that way you dont have so much to do all at one time.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time, the first thing I would tell myself as a senior is to enjoy every moment and to take advantage of any and all of the opportunities that are available. I would tell myself to dream big but to be prepared that some may not work out, but that if I work hard and am a determined person, others will. Most importantly I would tell myself that it is ok to feel like nothing is going to work out, because the reality is everyone has that feeling at one point in time. I would say to let go of any insecurities that I have and realize that the only person that is going to make anything happen in my life is me and as unfortunate as it sounds other will try to discourage it. In the end I would tell myself to decide what make me happy in life and go with it, because as long as I know what I want and that I really want it nothing will stop me. That it is up to me and only me to make my life happen. Thank you for your time.

Antoinette

Now knowing about college, i would push myself harder in class to study for the tests and not take the easier way out with taking just elective classes my senior year. As a high school senior i should've taken challenging classes to prepare myself for college. i also would start looking at colleges at the start of senior year to decide on which college i wanted to go to and get those out of the way so i wouldnt have to rush for the deadlines and accidently miss and have to go to a junior college. Senior year is very important and i would tell myself to try harder and get the grades in those classes i know i could earn instead of settling for the one i got myself. it is easy to give up but it's a great challenge to push yourself for something you know would help you in the long run.

If I could go back in time, the advice I would give myself is that no matter where you come from or how you were raised there is nothing stopping you from going to college. As long as you have the strength and the courage to do it on your own. I know I have the strength to be a nurse because it has been my passion to help people. I've never had a bigger passion. So i would let myself know to not give up and just jump right in school because there are people out there that can help with the money situations that will come your way.

Adreanna

I would tell myself to becareful about expenses because college is expensive and there are always unexpected events that may cause financial distress. I would also advise myself to read everything carefully so that there are no surprises in the end. Another major piece of advice I would give myself is to stay on top of all the deadlines in my classes or any extracurricular activities and to never overload your schedule.

La

Advice to self would be the following: Take your SAT/ACT while in High School, then you will save time and money in college, because you may not need all the classes if you do well on your SAT/ACT. With high scores on the SAT/ACT may also make it easier to transfer to a college of your choice straight out of High School without going to a junior college first to raise your G.P.A. Maintaining a good G.P.A in High School is essential because they can transfer over as credits once you enroll in college, also saving valuable time. Apply for scholarships while still in High School, so that when it's time to graduate from High School the money will be readily available for you. I would also advise myself to apply to colleges during my senior year and gather all of the information before submitting my application, because there are application fees and just because certain colleges may meet your needs more than others. While in High School , join clubs, sports, or do community service. Colleges are interested in students who are active and show dedication.

Leslie

If I could truly go back and talk to myself as a senior I would first tell myself to SAVE MONEY!! Do not spend it on unneccesary things like the new cell phone that just came out, clothes that I really do not need and eat out so much. All that money could be invested in buying books that are so expensive, getting a new laptop, a reliable car or if an emergency happens you are financially prepared. Also to go in with a plan and ask for help and guidance. To actually take some time and think of what I wanted to pursue as my major and where I wanted to go with it so you don't waste time. To be prepared to go through a stage of solitude and independence because this is where a majority of your work will get done. But to still be involved in school organizations like clubs or extracurricular activities because this is where you will be encouraged. And most importantly leave the dating scene alone for a while, because emotional instability is not worth your future, gear it towards being confident and motivated to achieving all that you can.

Desiree

I have actually thought about this exact question many times. If I could go back to my senior year in high school, I would make sure to tell myself to focus. I think graduating high school I was not focused and thought I could go to school anytime and nothing would get in the way of that. In fact, knowing how the economy is right now and how classes in college are getting cut left and right, I regret not staying on top of my education like I should have. I would make sure to tell myself also, "that the sooner you finish school, the sooner you can be enjoying the career you want" and not just working at a job that kind of pays the bills. It takes a lot of dedication and passion and I wish I would have had it then as I do now.

Ryan

Making the transition from high school to college was an eye opening experience for me. I was the first person in my family to graduate from high school and to go on to college and this is what inspires me to strive for what was thought to be out of reach. When I first started taking classes at Long Beach City College I was overwhelmed and to be quite honest I was afraid as well. Today if I could go back and help that boy by sharing the knowledge gained from personal experience, what would I say? The advice that I would share with him would be to keep working hard and to not get distracted with the fun of the moments around you. I would tell him to keep in contact with your counselor and develop a good relationship with your professors. Don?t be afraid to ask questions even when you think they are not relevant, no question is worthless. The last piece of advice that I would leave him with would be to stay focused and take your education seriously, because we are all victims of our own choices in the end.

Ana

If I could go back and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to get more associated with clubs as well as doing community service. I would of liked to get more active in my community, being able to help the environment and make a positive change for all the people living here. As a high school student I dodn't really got the chance to be able to help out my communtiy as much as I wanted. I could of joined other extracurricular activities, but I felt like I did not had enough time. If I could go back I would joined clubs and volunteered because not only would I help the community, but it would look good in my college application.

Zenaida

The advice I would give myself would be to stay focused on what I really want. I applied to Cal State But I needed to take the SAT and I went In to talk to my counselor from high school she said Cal State will only accept you if you have passed Inter. Algebra. I told her that It was difficult and that the teacher is hard to understand. She told me he is the only teacher we have. I left to class crying. I then graduated from Renaissance High School in 2008. My mother and I are majoring in child development. My father of course comes with a brilliant idea and said we should open a preschool. This goal should be achieved in about two years. I also came to realize things happen. Because at first I wanted to be a college professor that is why I tried to go to Cal State Long Beach. But for some reason I went to Long Beach City College. I should be graduating from Long Beach City College on Spring 2011. It?s worth the effort. God has planned good things for me. The motive never give up!

DAPHANIE

IF I WAS TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO GO BACK IN TIME TO GIVE MY SELF ADVICE WHEN I WAS A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR, I WOULD HAVE A LONG CONVERSATION WITH MYSELF ABOUT STAYING FOCUSED. FOR SOME, WHEN YOU GET INTO COLLEGE YOU CAN GO TWO WAYS, ONE BEING THAT YOU EMERGE YOURSELF IN THE SOCIAL ASPECT OF SCHOOL, TRYING TO MEET NEW PEOPLE, PARTYING AND JUST LETTING LOOSE. THEN ON THE OTHER END, SOME REFUSE TO BECOME DISTRACTED AND EMERGE THEMSELVES SOLEY INTHE ACADEMICS OF SCHOOL. I WOULD EXPLAIN TO MYSELF THAT I NEED TO FIND THE MEDIAN BETWEEN BOTH, AND LEARN TO DISCIPLINE MYSELF. I MADE SO MANY MISTAKES MY FIRST YEAR OF COLLEGE THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF ONLY I HAD STOPPED TO REALLY THINK ABOUT HOW MY ACTIONS OR LACK OF WOULD AFFECT MY ACADEMICS.

Victor

There are three issues I would emphasis about making the transition to college life. The first would be to fill out the Pell Grant/FAFSA forms and to apply for as many scholarships as soon as possible. The price of learning has become astronomical and can be very intimidating to someone just starting out. The second issue is to identify a game plan that is workable and appealing. An example would be answering two questions; what goals do I wish to complete while in college and time management. The third is the importance of placement test as well as how to prepare for them. I believe that getting off to a clear and positive start would have served as an excellent confidence builder in an othewise very confusing enrollment process

Jesus

I would tell myself the one thing that I should work as hard as possible because the harder you work early on, the easier its going to be in the future. I would also tell myself to make goals and write them down so that I have a more solid academic plan, and to set up a plan for my future; including education and beyond. I want to tell myself that the most important thing may not be education, but it is essential in making your goals possible.

Brittney

Knowing what I know now, I would tell myself Brittney this is the most imortant time of your life the choices you make at this point will determine your future. I would tap myself on the shoulder and say study, when I remembered those times when studying was not the first on my priority list. There would be times I would tell myself to take more notes for that complicated class making it easier for me to focus on my other class schedule. My senior year I was very focused but I beleive that you can never be to focused constantly I would advise myself to be better day after day. There would be times I remind myself that trying and failing is better than not trying at all and that confidence is the motivation that would get me through any and every obstacle in the future.

Megan

If I could go b ack in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would say that it's a little tougher than people expect, not the classes persay but the transition. Figuring out what classes to take and what times can get a little confusing but once you get a handle on it, you will be successful in figuring out a schedule that best fits you. Yes, classes are longer and little more work than high school but the pay out is worth it. Stay at school, use the time during breaks wisely, go to the library and study instead of waiting until you get home and put it off. Go in to school with the determination to succeed and you will do just fine.

Bernice

High School is often taken for granted by most students. We often don?t think that High School has a great impact to our future. However, if I am given an opportunity to go back I would probably be more proactive in my college applications. I do admit that I didn?t really put too much effort into it and let my parents mostly decide on my college education. I believe you should be responsible for choosing the right college and major for yourself and should not depend on anyone else. It perhaps would have save me more time if I went ahead and choose a major that I wanted instead of going with what my family dictates me to do. Nevertheless, I don?t think it?s too late for me. I am currently on my last year at Long Beach City College. I am taking my GE Courses and other Early Childhood Development Courses in order to obtain my Child Development Teacher Permit. I plan to transfer by next year to complete my Bachelors Degree and earn my Teaching Credential.

Jacqueline

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, the first thing I would probably say is, "Why are you not applying for scholarships?!" You really find out you do not have a lot of money once that first tuition bill comes in the mail. I would tell myself that I should spend as much time as possible with my family, since I would not be seeing them as much. I would warn myself to not be too hard on myself, that life is too short to sweat the little things. Most definitely I would say to not be afraid to try new things, and really open up to new people. It is perfectly fine to miss home, friends, and family, but do not seclude yourself, there are bigger and better things out there just waiting for you to discover them.

Zakiya

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to study harder and spend less time hanging out with friends. Iv'e realized that education is a key factor to success. Taking college courses very early would better myself as a first time college student, and prepare me for responsibility. Instead of going to the movies and the malls with my friends, I would convince them to have study groups with me by using the library as a primary source of information to advance my academic study. I have learned to never underestimate my capabilities, and I will always hold on to my mother's teaching of being more responsible in pursuing my education. I have learned to access my time in studying to the fullest, with the anticipation of being successful in accomplishing a high gpa and maintaining it. College is a pathway to pursue and accomplish my ideal dream of becoming a pharmacist. The advice that I would give myself is to stay focused on my subjects, to be determined to complete what I start, and to ask for help in the areas of my difficult subjects.

Dear high school senior me, I know that you don't feel the need to be that amitious at this point in your life but I, who am actually you ten years down the line, would like to share some granuals of wisdom I've learned along the way. At this point, you aren't even thinking about applying to universities but I really think you should. Signing up at your local community college is fine but you're going to get so distracted by life, by love, by working two jobs and trying to make it as an individual in this world that school will just fall by the wayside. Don't let this happen. Apply to all the colleges you can as this will provide you with an opportunity to learn, grow, and figure out who you are in the wonderfully stimulating structure of institutionalized learning. Take your love of the myriad forms of creative expression into the exploratory rigors of academia. You will succeed. Think ahead and stay focused, dear me of ten years prior, and you'll be surprised at how much easier your life will be. Yours truly, The future you

Rebecca

Please take your time in deciding what you want to do with your life, and make sure that you speak face to face with a counselor to go over all of your options before you start even one class. The most important thing you can do for yourself is know your limitations and not to take on more than you can chew. Focus, focus, focus, and keep your eyes wide open to all options that may arise.

Damaris

" Wow! Start trying harder in school- it only takes discipline and will", would be one of the first things I would tell myself. I think most students think that they need to automatically be smart and become frightened that they do not know certain things or are not good at certain subjects, but the fact is - that is why we are in school, to learn. If students are reminded that it is okay to not have an answer and that this is the reason we attend school, they may be inspired to try harder. I would also tell myself that degrees open up the doors to knowledge. Knowledge is never a waste, whatever was studied will be used in a lifetime at least once. I would try to explain to myself that more importantly college creates a well rounded, and open minded person. A balanced human being that can accept difference and indifference, and understands our history, the human psycholgy, an array of cultures, and appreciates the arts while doing math.

Erika

I would tell myself to forget about taking the so called "break" after high school. In this life, there is no time for a break. No time to waste your time! I would enroll in college right away. And concentrate on what I am doing. It would pay off in the end. You will be done with school before you know it.

Natalie

I would seriously go back and tell myself to try and pull it together. Take the necessary classes like math and english first and get them out of the way. I would also tell myself not to work so much. It is important to balance out school and work, and an education is much more important than whatever job the may come along. Don't try to think you can handle full time work and full time school, one of them is going to give. Keep the partying to a minimum. Going to class in college is entirely up to you and it is now time to be responsible for yourself, no one is going to be after you to go to class.

Veronica

I ws once in your position undecided as to whether or not to attend college right after graduating from high school. It may seem impossible to get there but it is not hard. You have all the requirements to get into a college of your choice. If you are not sure of what you want to major in, just take general courses and that way you do not waste time and by the time you decide what you want to major in, you will take classes that pertain to your career. Do not be afraid to meet with a couselor and get advice from one. They are always available to help you. Apply for financial aid if you are afraid of not being able to pay for school it will be a great help. Never overload yourself with too many courses that might be a handfull for you. If you have a job, take about 2 or 3 classes per semester just so that you are able to complete your classes with a good grade. The key to success is managing your time and working at a pace that works for you not what works for others. Good Luck!

Shondrea

I would advise myself to participate in AP courses, college related, or transferrable classes, and get the best grades possible. I would instruct the young me to participate in extra curricular activities that help the community, and demonstrate leadship and responsibility, for these things are important as a person grows into an adult, they also are transferrable as well, and are great assets to any collegiate environment. I would say save, save, save and prepare for the expenses that incur with education; further, I would state that signing up for scholarships in highschool is vital, and that it is not too early to do so; many scholarships are specifically aimed at high school student. Other advice would be to advoid Loans, as not to become endentured, and try grants as an alternative. Stay with parents, and first buy a car to establish credit, handle serious responsibility and save money. I would say if it is not within your budget to live alone, try roommates, dorms, or stay at home. Last but not least I would say, Life is a fight, fight hard for what you want, and make plans to go farther than you expect, and go for it!

Tina

Never assume that the way things are now is the way things will be forever. In one brutal instant the status quo you have grown so comfortable with can collapse on you. Know that you are strong enough to adapt. Start thinking about your future right now, because things will not magically figure themselves out when you start going to community college. Things will not become easier. Stop being so shy. Stop being so prude. Make friends now while you can, because the pain of loneliness is worse than the anxiety you feel having to meet new people. Stop failing your classes just to bother your teachers. That is profoundly stupid. They come out on top in the end, no matter how wrong they are. It all reflects poorly on you, and you alone. Your teachers say you are brilliant but lazy. Drop the ?Lazy? part. Everything is going to be okay.

College is a major decision. A career is not something that one should take lightly. Be certain to keep focused upon what is most important in life to you, but remember every day slips by into a new tomorrow, and many tomorrows equal to many passed years. Discovering what you are most adaptable to and where you are most needed in life is so important. Life is shorter than we ever realize. Even if you do not bite more than you can chew, take small bites unitl you have achieved a degree.

Veronica

Make friends. Just randomly talk to a person in class about anything and be their friend. You will feel isolated and alone, since everyone pretty much keeps to themselves and it's not like highschool where everyone knows everyone. Plus, your friend would be a great help when it comes to studying for midterms and finals or when it comes to projects. Also, take advantage of the career counseling they have at LBCC, they will help you find the major or majors that is best suited to your personality. Oh, and be prepared to study...A LOT. You'll have a ton of free time, but spend some of it on getting knowledge into the noggin. And Finally, do as many scholarships as you can possibly do, for they are a BIG help when it comes to paying for college. You might not think city college is alot since it's not a university, but it's still pretty pricey with the books and all. Oh and apply for the fee waiver, that's about as much financial aid as you're going to get. So don't be disappointed when you don't get any money. Good Luck.

Whitney

I would tell my self to strive for more than just a passing grade and to do the very best I'm capable of because my performance in high school will dictate how well I do in college.